Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WBO (8/23-8/25): The World's Over, The Butler Shines the Intruments...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-24-13, 05:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4244264.story
"Lee Daniels' The Butler" continued its strong showing at the box office on Friday, taking in an estimated $4.7 million on its way to an expected second weekend atop the chart.

Starring Forest Whitaker as a White House employee who served under eight U.S. presidents, the Lee Daniels-directed film opened with $24.6 million last week, and is expected to earn in the vicinity of $12 million this weekend.

Among this week's new movies, the Edgar Wright-directed comedy "The World's End" opened ahead of the disappointing "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" on Friday with an estimated $3.4 million. Featuring a reunion of the team behind "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" that enjoyed a strong critical buzz, the apocalypse-themed British comedy will have already recouped its $20 million budget by the close of the weekend given its international earnings. The film was released overseas in July and has since taken in $16 million.

PHOTOS: Billion-dollar movie club

By contrast, the $60 million "Mortal Instruments" appears unable to replicate the success of other movie franchises pulled from YA bookshelves such as "Twilight" and "The Hunger Games." The five-book "Mortal Instruments" series sold 24 million copies, but earned only an estimated $3.1 million on Friday on half as many screens as "The World's End." The film has taken in a little more than $7 million thus far after opening on Wednesday.

Now entering its third weekend, the Jennifer Aniston- and Jason Sudeikis-led comedy "We're the Millers" appears on track to hold in second place with an estimated $4 million in earnings on Friday. The horror film "You're Next," another film debuting this weekend, earned an estimated $2.9 million in its first day of release, enough to place it on track to round out the top five.
Old 08-24-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: WBO (8/23-8/25): The World's Over, The Butler Shines the Intruments...

good to see The World's End (on only 1500 screens) beating the Mortal Instruments which is on 3000 screens
Old 08-24-13, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. That's pretty damn good for TWE.
Old 08-24-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe Sony and company are planning to shoot a sequel to The Mortal Instruments. If you honestly thought this was going to be a hit, you're a schmuck. This is no surprise based upon the failures of both Beautiful Creatures and The Host earlier this year despite the fact those actually had talented filmmakers at the helm (who brought their absolute worst up to the plate). I wonder if Sony will pull the plug despite the film being so close to shooting...

I went to a Thursday 10PM showing of The World's End and there were ten people in my showing. I wonder how that respective theater's 11PM and 12AM showings fared... On the flip side, I went to a 9PM showing of You're Next last night and the auditorium had about 200+ people having a blast.

It's too bad both are underperforming.
Old 08-25-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ granted my showing of World's End was a Corenetto Trilogy showing (at a cinemark) but it was packed w over 400 people, having a great time & it getting great reactions
Old 08-25-13, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I went to a Thursday 10PM showing of The World's End and there were ten people in my showing. I wonder how that respective theater's 11PM and 12AM showings fared...
Looks like this might've suffered from the "Didn't-we-already-see-that?" syndrome (ala Olympus/White House Down) and in this case, This is The End might've beat The World's End to the punch.
Old 08-25-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the Cornetto Trilogy at an AMC here in Washington State, and it was in one of the bigger theaters and pretty much sold out with probably 500 in the audience. I liked watching all 3 films back-to-back because it was easy to see how they fit together thematically and catching the repeated gags that ran through all three.

Considering the film is on only 1500 screens, it's not doing too badly. I assumed it would do better, but I also assumed that the movie was going to open wider than it actually did considering the advertising blitz. It'll make it's money back for sure, unlike so many other movies this summer.
Old 08-25-13, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

It would be nice to source the article in the OP instead of merely pasting it as a post:

Last edited by bluetoast; 08-25-13 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Roybq
Considering the film is on only 1500 screens, it's not doing too badly. I assumed it would do better, but I also assumed that the movie was going to open wider than it actually did considering the advertising blitz. It'll make it's money back for sure, unlike so many other movies this summer.
It will probably have the highest per screen average when the weekend is over. Curious if Focus decides to put it in more theaters next week, as next week is absolute shit with Getaway (which looks like a car chase version of Taken) & the One Direction movie
Old 08-25-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man of Steel should sneak past $290 million US after today. It's at $649 million worldwide and opens in Japan next weekend.
Old 08-25-13, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
It would be nice to source the article in the OP instead of merely pasting it as a post:

wtd?
Old 08-25-13, 11:56 AM

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,7587494.story
"The Butler" polished off the competition at the box office this weekend, scoring its second consecutive No. 1 win.

In its second weekend in theaters, the civil-rights drama starring Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey saw its ticket sales fall only 31% to $17 million, according to an estimate from distributor Weinstein Co. After 10 days in release, the picture has collected a robust $52.3 million and is well on its way to hitting the $100 million mark.

Erik Lomis, the independent studio’s head of theatrical distribution, said the film’s “audience is starting to broaden out.” On opening weekend, 76% of the crowd was over age 35 -- this weekend, 62%. Last weekend, 39% of the audience was African American, compared with 33% this weekend.

PHOTOS: Hollywood Backlot moments

Things were a bit messier for the weekend's three debuts -- "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones," "The World's End" and "You're Next" -- none of which posted especially impressive openings.

"Mortal Instruments," which distributor Sony Pictures had hoped would become the next big teen fantasy franchise, fizzled with young audiences. The $60-million production, based on Cassandra Clare's bestselling novel, opened Wednesday in an effort to spread positive word of mouth before the crowded weekend. But the movie ended up grossing just $9.3 million between Friday and Sunday, giving it a lackluster five-day tally of $14.1 million.

That's bad news for Germany's Constantin Film, which financed the movie, paid another $60 million to market it internationally and is already in preproduction on a sequel. It's unclear whether the company will move ahead with a second film after the first's underwhelming opening, but last week the company's co-president Robert Kulzer expressed confidence in the franchise's potential.

"Even if the movie performs moderately, it will still warrant a sequel," Kulzer said in an interview with The Times. "Now that $60 million has been spent worldwide on prints and advertising, you can already see how the book sales are accelerating, the soundtrack is hitting the charts. Even if the first one doesn't become a gigantic success, we will have a profitable track ahead of us."

PHOTOS: Images from 'Mortal Instruments: City of Bones'

On paper, it seemed "Mortal Instruments" had the potential to become a hit: Clare's five-book series about a teenage girl who discovers she is part of a breed of demon hunters has sold 24 million copies worldwide. Instead, the movie is the latest post-"Twilight" release based on a young-adult novel to misfire, following this year's "Beautiful Creatures" and "The Host."

"Mortal Instruments," which stars Lily Collins, was panned by critics but received a more positive average grade of B+ from its opening weekend crowd, according to market research firm CinemaScore. Not surprisingly, most of those who saw the film were female -- 68% -- but the picture skewed a tad older than expected, as 54% of the audience was over 21.

Meanwhile, "The World's End" launched with $8.9 million -- not a huge opening, but still a respectable one given the British comedy's $20-million budget.

The third entry in a trilogy from Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, the picture performed better than its predecessors. In 2004, "Shaun of the Dead" launched with only $3.3 million, while 2007's "Hot Fuzz" started off with $5.8 million. Neither film was hugely popular in the U.S., but "Hot Fuzz" went on to gross a respectable $80.6 million worldwide.

"The World's End" opened in about 1,500 theaters -- 1,000 less than "You're Next" and 1,500 less than "Mortal Instruments."

PHOTOS: Summer Sneaks 2013

About a group of friends trying to complete a pub crawl before the apocalypse, "The World's End" is likely to fare far better abroad. The movie, which has yet to open in most foreign markets, debuted last month in four countries overseas -- including Britain -- and has since collected about $16 million.

In America, the movie, directed by Wright and starring Pegg and Frost, had the best reviews of any of the weekend's new releases, and audiences enjoyed it as well. Those who saw the film -- a young male crowd, 71% of whom were under 35 -- assigned the film an average B+ grade.

"You're Next," another low-budget production, also failed to catch on with a broad audience, starting off with $7.1 million. Due to the success of inexpensive scary movies like "The Purge" and "The Conjuring" in recent months, many thought You're Next" had the potential to exceed industry expectations. The movie was also beloved by critics -- a rare occurrence in the horror genre -- and was well-received when it premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2011.

The picture, about murderers who don masks and invade a family reunion with axes in hand, was acquired at the Canadian festival by Lionsgate. It earned the worst CinemaScore of the weekend: a B-.
Old 08-25-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

wtd? Ah well thanks though.
Old 08-25-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I saw World's End yesterday morning and it played in one of the smaller screens (it played on a larger screen, as well) and my showing was probably half full. It's a 100 seater.
Old 08-25-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

wtd? I'm so confused.

Pretty dreadful opening for Mortal Instruments in a weak weekend.
Old 08-25-13, 03:44 PM

what's the difference...
Old 08-25-13, 03:55 PM

1. Lee Daniels' The Butler
WBO: $17,018,000
CUME: $52,275,000

2. We're the Millers
WBO: $13,500,000
CUME: $91,740,000

3. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
WBO: $9,300,000
CUME: $14,051,000

4. The World's End
WBO: $8,942,000

5. Planes
WBO: $8,567,000
CUME: $59,591,000

6. Elysium
WBO: $7,100,000
CUME: $69,054,000

7. You're Next
WBO: $7,050,000

8. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
WBO: $5,200,000
CUME: $48,346,000

9. Blue Jasmine
WBO: $4,300,000
CUME: $14,799,000

10. Kick-Ass 2
WBO: $4,270,000
CUME: $22,423,000
Old 08-25-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I guess I need to see Kick Ass 2 before it disappears from theatres.