Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Book Thief -- D: Percival -- S: Rush, Watson -- 11/15/13

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Director: Brian Percival (Downton Abbey)
Writer: Michael Petroni
Cast:
Geoffrey Rush
Emily Watson

Plot:
While subjected to the horrors of WWII Germany, young Liesel finds solace by stealing books and sharing them with others. Under the stairs in her home, a Jewish refuge is being sheltered by her adoptive parents.

Old 08-20-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Book Thief -- D: Percival -- S: Rush, Watson -- 11/15/13

When I saw Watson in the thread title, I assumed it was Emma Watson. I've never heard of Emily Watson before.
Old 08-21-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Trailer is pretty 'meh', especially the gawdawful narration that shows up late ("Words will inspire her" LOL). This one has a 'been there, done that' feel to it.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W2XQsGrqulM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-23-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Not a great movie but just ok. Saw it last night, and I never believed any of the relationships. To me, the Max character was just another side story line that never really amounted to much. The acting was ok, Rush was very good, not as great as he usually is though. The scenery was great, as was the look of the film, but to me, this is on par with The King's Speech. An ordinary film that might be better served on Lifetime. Incredible that I heard several people say "This is the best film i've seen in 5 years". Stop watching crap film, people!
Old 11-25-13, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm biased, but I was charmed by this film. Also, I interviewed the director, author and actress after watching it. But, what makes me more impartial? The fact the author has written a sort of book I hope to write. You see, my father was 16 when he was drafted to fight for Hitler. When I went in to the interview, I showed them a stack of journals my father wrote right after the war, as he lay hospitalized with TB after surviving the freezing winter of Stalingrad. Check out the story here (I am looking for a serious, invested German translator so I might write a book similar to what Zusak has created, except it follows a teenager in the middle of the worst part of the war): http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2013...the-filmmakers -of-the-book-thief-over-my-fathers-german-wwii-story/
Old 11-25-13, 09:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slowcloud
I'm biased, but I was charmed by this film. Also, I interviewed the director, author and actress after watching it. But, what makes me more impartial? The fact the author has written a sort of book I hope to write. You see, my father was 16 when he was drafted to fight for Hitler. When I went in to the interview, I showed them a stack of journals my father wrote right after the war, as he lay hospitalized with TB after surviving the freezing winter of Stalingrad. Check out the story here (I am looking for a serious, invested German translator so I might write a book similar to what Zusak has created, except it follows a teenager in the middle of the worst part of the war): http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2013...the-filmmakers -of-the-book-thief-over-my-fathers-german-wwii-story/
I agree it was charming but I also felt it was nothing new and that we've seen this story before. On the plus side, I thought the score from John Williams was understated and quite moving.
Old 03-23-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Watched it and really enjoyed it, exceeding my expectation which were somewhat elevated going in. Beautiful cinematography and tasteful score complements a very well acted and written story. Looking forward to seeing more movies with Emily Watson. (4.5/5.0)