Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

‘The Butler’ Cleans Up With Estimated $27 Million Weekend

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

‘The Butler’ Cleans Up With Estimated $27 Million Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 03:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: ‘The Butler’ Cleans Up With Estimated $27 Million Weekend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I mean honestly, who doesn't "get" 'The Butler did it'? That's as commonplace as "23 Skiddoo" or '"Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow Wow".
i get it. not the last 2, but "the Butler did it!" is classic schtick!
Old 08-19-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
Where'd you get $25m on DVD/Blu number from? Seems low considering it sold 1.4m copies its first week, which was impressive since it was the #2 most pirated movie of 2010 (behind Avatar).
The Numbers.

Since retailers buy the DVD or Blu-ray in bulk, it's hard to determine at what "price" Lionsgate sold the disc for. IIRC, the disc was priced cheap at retailers on street date. I think I picked it up at Best Buy for $14.99.
Old 08-19-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Numbers.

Since retailers buy the DVD or Blu-ray in bulk, it's hard to determine at what "price" Lionsgate sold the disc for. IIRC, the disc was priced cheap at retailers on street date. I think I picked it up at Best Buy for $14.99.
Gotcha, that one is actually just DVD sales, no blu-ray sales*. Kick-ass was sort of a big deal as it was one of the first movies to match its DVD sales with Blu-ray sales (estimated at over 400k its first week).

* Note: Sales tracking currently includes only the DVD versions of the movie. Blu-ray sales are not included at this time.
Old 08-20-13, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I mean honestly, who doesn't "get" 'The Butler did it'? That's as commonplace as "23 Skiddoo" or '"Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow Wow".
Now that's funny...and I know funny.
Old 08-24-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has read the "The Mortal Instruments" book and loved it, so she wanted to see the movie. We went to the Regal Theater up the street because we had free tickets.
-The problem was the theater was ONLY showing it in IMAX and was going to charge us an extra $7.50 per ticket to see it in IMAX. We said we were NOT going to give into their ploy of making more $$$ off the movie by FORCING people to see it ONLY in IMAX.

So, we decided to see The Butler.

Loved:
-It was the Forest Gump for the "Race Era" (even had an actor with the name Forest to play the lead)
-Forest Whitaker did an excellent job
-Few of the presidents look good (Reagan I thought was the best)
-You feel how evil hatred is
-Respect those who took a stand
-I was brought to tears MANY times throughout the movie
-Clapped several times during the movie

Hated
1. How they changed the story of Eugene Allen (The Butler)
-The ending I felt was almost a slap in his face, the writer/director made it into what they wanted to fit into the "Race" issue
2. He had one son, NOT two
3. His son DID NOT die in Vietnam
4. Few of the Presidents look terrible (well, Nixon the most. Did not know who he was for awhile)
5. His wife was NEVER described as a Drunk or unfaithful by her husband or by the author. I felt this was another SLAP in the face of Allen's family
6. My skin crawled when Jane Fonda was on the screen as Nancy Reagan. Though she did a good job, she was a traitor to our country. My father fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam...she has spit in his face over and over again.
(Most people will not have the same reaction as I did, but I had to mention it. Was not going to see this movie because of her, but my wife wanted to see it and I love her more than I despise Jane Fonda)

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/movies...#axzz2ctfFhmJl

**Did not vote for Obama, but it would have been REALLY COOL if they would have showed the Butler walking and shaking his hand at the end, dang that would have been so AWESOME!!!!
***Long story short, I loved the movie, but it would have been much better if they had not changed the story of the Allen family so much.
-They should have made the story about a fictional character, not "Based" on a true story/man.
Old 08-24-13, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah there are theaters that won't show the movie because of Fonda.