Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gritty crime films of the 70's.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gritty crime films of the 70's.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Gritty crime films of the 70's.

I'm sorry but a list of titles does nothing for me. Can people say just a few words about the movies they'd like to recommend, so I can get a sense of whether or not I might enjoy them?
Old 08-08-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm sorry but a list of titles does nothing for me. Can people say just a few words about the movies they'd like to recommend, so I can get a sense of whether or not I might enjoy them?
THE FRENCH CONNECTION: "Did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?"

DIRTY HARRY: "I'm all broken up about that man's...rights."
"Do ya feel lucky...punk?"

CHINATOWN: "My daughter!" [SLAP!] "My sister!"[SLAP!] "My daughter!" [SLAP!] "My sister!"[SLAP!]

TAXI DRIVER: "You talkin' to me?"

DOG DAY AFTERNOON: "Attica! Attica! Attica!"

DEATH WISH: Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs: "Where's the money, honey?" Charles Bronson: Blam! Blam! Blam!

TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3: "Ah-CHOO!"

Does that help?
Old 08-08-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

CHINATOWN: "My daughter!" [SLAP!] "My sister!"[SLAP!] "My daughter!" [SLAP!] "My sister!"[SLAP!]

DEATH WISH: Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs: "Where's the money, honey?" Charles Bronson: Blam! Blam! Blam!

Does that help?
Haha, I think everybody is familiar with those films. I've seen a lot of films in this thread that I had never heard of before, but there are way too many for me to look them all up on the chance that I'd enjoy them. I don't see the point of just listing recommendations without including a single reason why you recommend them.
Old 08-08-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Checked IMDB. It is Tomas Milian, but the movie is a couple of years older, Assault with a Deadly Weapon.
There were 2 hunchback movies? Wow. EDIT-According to wiki, there was a sequel. Looks like that was the one I thought it was.

Originally Posted by inri222
You forgot the best one after The Yakuza Papers : Graveyard of Honor
GoH is definetly my most favorite Fukasaku yakuza flick. My 2nd favorite is Sympathy/Underdog. It's got a Wild Bunch vibe (Especially towards the end)

I'm a little surprised at the love the Yakuza Papers' films always recieve. I've seen about 3 of them, but the only one I liked was the one with Sonny Chiba (I remember that one having a basic storyline compared to the others) Where as Battles/Humanity & Proxy War ended up being on the complicated side. Thanks to all those hundreds of characters you're supposed to keep track of.
Old 08-08-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Japan, Kinji Fukasaku made a bunch of gritty Yakuza movies that moved away from the more ritualized action in the more formulaic Yakuza movies of the 1960s to a more realistic form of crime movie. Check out:

STREET MOBSTER
COPS VS. THUGS
SYMPATHY FOR THE UNDERDOG
YAKUZA GRAVEYARD

...and especially:
THE YAKUZA PAPERS (5-film series)
I've seen Battle Royale, but none of his other films, I know he's a legend of Japanese cinema and was a unique voice in the Yakuza genre. I will be sure to check out his films, starting with the movies you've listed here. Thanks for taking the time to talk about the movies instead of just listing titles.
Old 08-08-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Going through all the titles listed in this thread, I now count 54 that I saw when they came out, with most of the others seen on TV afterwards. What a great decade for crime films. That's pretty much the only thing I'm nostalgic about from the 1970s: the constant stream of movies like these in neighborhood theaters. Over the course of the decade you had your choice of mid-range Hollywood genre films (e.g. DIRTY HARRY, WALKING TALL, FRENCH CONNECTION, et al; low-budget drive-in/exploitation films; foreign genre films dubbed in English, including kung fu, Italian westerns, Italian crime, the occasional samurai film, etc.; plus: more arthouse-type versions of these films some of which might be called neo-noir, e.g. CHINATOWN, NIGHT MOVES, SHORT EYES, FINGERS, STRAIGHT TIME, or films by Scorsese, Schrader, etc. And I went to the movies several times a week in those years, from neighborhood theaters in the Bronx to art houses and revival theaters in Manhattan.

Nowadays, I'm lucky if I get a DRIVE every now and then or a decent Jason Statham crime film every couple of years. Back then, we had the equivalent every week!
Old 08-08-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I've seen Battle Royale, but none of his other films, I know he's a legend of Japanese cinema and was a unique voice in the Yakuza genre. I will be sure to check out his films, starting with the movies you've listed here. Thanks for taking the time to talk about the movies instead of just listing titles.
Don't forget Graveyard of Honor and the 70's Yakuza films of Hideo Gosha.
Old 08-08-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dom56
Get Carter (1971)
/thread
This film defines "gritty". It's also up there with The French Connection as one of the great nihilistic endings of the 70s.
Old 08-08-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget Graveyard of Honor and the 70's Yakuza films of Hideo Gosha.
I will be sure to check out Graveyard of Honor, because of its mention here and it's one of the major titles I've already heard of, in addition to The Yakuza Papers. I also saw a Takashi Miike film of the same title, but I'm not sure if it was a remake or not.

Where should I start with Hideo Gosha? I didn't know he did yakuza films. The only Gosha film I've seen is Sword of the Beast, although I've been very tempted to blind buy the Three Outlaw Samurai Criterion.
Old 08-08-13, 10:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

The Outside Man
Hit
The Silent Partner
Hickey and Boggs
The Outfit
Report to the Commissioner
Good call on The Silent Partner. One of Christopher Plummer's more interesting roles.

I'll add two more Bo Svenson movies to the mix. Both from 1976: Breaking Point and Special Delivery.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (04-08-20)
Old 08-08-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Another gritty Italian classic, Shoot First, Die Later. If you like movies like The French Connection, this is a unknown dandy to most Americans.
Old 08-09-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I will be sure to check out Graveyard of Honor, because of its mention here and it's one of the major titles I've already heard of, in addition to The Yakuza Papers. I also saw a Takashi Miike film of the same title, but I'm not sure if it was a remake or not.

Where should I start with Hideo Gosha? I didn't know he did yakuza films. The only Gosha film I've seen is Sword of the Beast, although I've been very tempted to blind buy the Three Outlaw Samurai Criterion.
Takashi Miike's Graveyard of Honor is a remake.
Check out Hideo Gosha's The Wolves with Tatsuya Nakadai.
Old 08-09-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Takashi Miike's Graveyard of Honor is a remake.
Check out Hideo Gosha's The Wolves with Tatsuya Nakadai.
Will do, Tatsuya Nakadai is one of my favorites, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 08-09-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned: Prime Cut with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman.
Old 08-09-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
/thread
This film defines "gritty". It's also up there with The French Connection as one of the great nihilistic endings of the 70s.
I don't think the "/thread" thing quite works when we're looking for multiple movies.
Old 08-09-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned: Prime Cut with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman.
Good call.
Old 08-11-13, 03:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, totally overlooked that one (despite owning it on DVD).
Old 04-08-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I probably should have resurrected this thread last week, but TCM is running a look back to 70s-set NYC films all this month, and many of them fit the "gritty crime film" genre. Just last week I watched a mini marathon of
The Panic in Needle Park
The Taking of Pelham 123
Klute
Fingers

Report was one of the more interesting ones. I watched it years ago (I think MGM HD had it on) and found it unmemorable, but this time I really dug it. I found it totally riveting. It's possibly due to all the Law & Order I'm watching while on lockdown, and just can't get enough of Michael "ADA Ben Stone" Moriarty as a "hippy cop". The rooftop chase scene is fantastic, then the elevator stand-off, which is at least 1/4 of the film's total running length, is as tense as it gets. I was just bummed that TCM chose to show it in 1.33:1 ratio.

Fingers. Glad I have an option other than Reservoir Dogs, Bad Lieutenant, City of Industry, or The Piano if I need to see Harvey Keitel naked and/or crying in anguish.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (04-08-20)
Old 04-08-20, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The most justified 7-year thread bump in quite some time!
Old 04-08-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,462 Likes on 930 Posts

Does that help?
Awesome post. I'm glad you're still hanging around here.

We've watched both Klute and Marathon Man for the first time in the last two months.

MARATHON MAN: "Is it safe?"
Old 04-09-20, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I probably should have resurrected this thread last week, but TCM is running a look back to 70s-set NYC films all this month, and many of them fit the "gritty crime film" genre. Just last week I watched a mini marathon of
The Panic in Needle Park
The Taking of Pelham 123
Klute
Fingers

Report was one of the more interesting ones. I watched it years ago (I think MGM HD had it on) and found it unmemorable, but this time I really dug it. I found it totally riveting. It's possibly due to all the Law & Order I'm watching while on lockdown, and just can't get enough of Michael "ADA Ben Stone" Moriarty as a "hippy cop". The rooftop chase scene is fantastic, then the elevator stand-off, which is at least 1/4 of the film's total running length, is as tense as it gets. I was just bummed that TCM chose to show it in 1.33:1 ratio.

Fingers. Glad I have an option other than Reservoir Dogs, Bad Lieutenant, City of Industry, or The Piano if I need to see Harvey Keitel naked and/or crying in anguish.
This was my first time actually watching "Fingers", though I've known it by reputation for years and years.. Writer/Director James Toback is one really odd cat and he definitely makes the film all about him and his particular mind-set, -in particular, his attitude toward Women. Actually, it's true of all his films.
Old 04-09-20, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
This was my first time actually watching "Fingers", though I've known it by reputation for years and years.. Writer/Director James Toback is one really odd cat and he definitely makes the film all about him and his particular mind-set, -in particular, his attitude toward Women. Actually, it's true of all his films.
I looked up his filmography, and this was the first and only Toback film I've seen. So I can't really see any trends, obviously.

The only thing that takes me out of these movies is when you recognize a before-they-were-famous actor or actress.
"Hey, that's Midge from That 70's Show that he's boffing in the ladies' room!"
"Hey, the henchman is Officer Joe Coffey!"
"Hey, the john that the hooker ripped off is Paul Sorvino!"
"Hey, the pimp is Richard Gere!"
Old 04-09-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I just watched Street People for the first time and really dug it.
Old 04-09-20, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Boulevard Nights - My favorite street gangster film.
Strange Shadows in an Empty Room - Car chase scene was nuts.
Mikey and Nicky - Buds helping eaching other evade the mob.
Stone Cold Dead - Sniper shooting pros.

Old 04-10-20, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Too bad that era will never happen again.

If only the studios let the the directors control what gets made.