Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
6.52%
2.17%
23.91%
23.91%
21.74%
8.70%
6.52%
4.35%
0%
0%
2.17%
District 10: dan30oly is a troll
0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 03:35 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I thought the story made it so that it was a specifically hacked protocol that would turn Jodi Foster into the new president (how she ordered it). Then Sharlto wanted it because he realized HE could become president.. THEN spider or Matt Damon realized they could make everyone equal somehow? That whole plot point kind of took me out of the movie. Since when does rebooting a computer remove all admin privledges?
Old 08-09-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I thought the story made it so that it was a specifically hacked protocol that would turn Jodi Foster into the new president (how she ordered it). Then Sharlto wanted it because he realized HE could become president.. THEN spider or Matt Damon realized they could make everyone equal somehow? That whole plot point kind of took me out of the movie. Since when does rebooting a computer remove all admin privledges?
I thought the robot line was something like 'we are protecting a citizen of Elysium,' which would have been the response if any citizen threatened any other citizen. It was just recoded so that logic applied to everyone instead of only those on the proper ID DNA coding. They also went out of their way to show the only change in the program was to change the citizen status to all. My assumption was that if everything went according to plan, Jodie Foster could just sit in a dark room with the code during the reboot and type in a bunch of oddly simple text strings to change whatever she wanted. It didn't really make much sense.

Overall, I thought it was fine but nothing special. There was so much lazy foreshadowing and heavy handed messaging that it felt like it was painting-by-numbers the whole time. I also didn't at all understand how the hell the exo-skeleton turned him into Superman and how Sharlito had an exo-skeleton installed in what felt like 30 seconds with no damage. The pills that Damon took sounded like they made him impervious to pain, not impervious to all bodily harm. He took insane beatings and looked fine even at the end. Ah well, just felt like a missed opportunity.
Old 08-09-13, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I thought the robot line was something like 'we are protecting a citizen of Elysium,' which would have been the response if any citizen threatened any other citizen. It was just recoded so that logic applied to everyone instead of only those on the proper ID DNA coding. They also went out of their way to show the only change in the program was to change the citizen status to all. My assumption was that if everything went according to plan, Jodie Foster could just sit in a dark room with the code during the reboot and type in a bunch of oddly simple text strings to change whatever she wanted. It didn't really make much sense.

Overall, I thought it was fine but nothing special. There was so much lazy foreshadowing and heavy handed messaging that it felt like it was painting-by-numbers the whole time. I also didn't at all understand how the hell the exo-skeleton turned him into Superman and how Sharlito had an exo-skeleton installed in what felt like 30 seconds with no damage. The pills that Damon took sounded like they made him impervious to pain, not impervious to all bodily harm. He took insane beatings and looked fine even at the end. Ah well, just felt like a missed opportunity.

Granted, Sharlto's suit was much more advanced and they did install it on him on Elysium, he was up and running almost instantly. Yet, when Damon's character had it installed, that shit was brain surgery (graphic as hell) and he was knocked out for a few hours. That's the kind of editing that irked me.
Old 08-09-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
He became president: The red robot guards came in and 'protected' him from the former presidents bodyguards and arrested them. Spider says 'thats right you work for me now' (to the robots)

It infers Spider is president because he calls in the shuttles to go to earth and dispatch the med-beds to LA--Or who else could've made that order?

Also it takes 5 seconds because they wait for the LAST second to hit "enter" like every Sci Fi movie: You can reboot a space station in 5 seconds.

It was like a Michael Bay popcorn flick, good or bad.

Edit to add: it infers that 'rebooting' names a new president because Jodi and Sharlto both wanted the 'data' to reboot because it inferred whoever did would be in charge.

Spider said "you can't arrest me now, because I'm a citizen." He didn't say he was the president. the reason why the medical ships were sent out was because once everyone of Earth became a citizen of Elysium, the robots were programmed to provide medical support. Obviously the people down below needed it, so they were automatically dispatched.

I see BravesMG covered it. It didn't make Spider president. it just made it so they were all equal and he was no longer a "trespasser" on Elysium.
Old 08-09-13, 07:00 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a terrible movie but I found Kruger kind of hard to understand. Also couldn't they just put the reboot code on a flashdrive or something?
Old 08-09-13, 07:03 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just because a computer says someone is president they become president? That made no sense, I'm assuming these people had some sort of general election, it's not as if they completely forgot the candidates they voted for.
Old 08-09-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Not a terrible movie but I found Kruger kind of hard to understand. Also couldn't they just put the reboot code on a flashdrive or something?
the reboot code was hardwired to people's brains. that and the virus that carlyle put in the code made it seem like extraction wouldn't work.
Old 08-10-13, 12:51 AM
Cool New Member

I loved District 9, but this disappointed me.

It's enjoyable and worth seeing - but some of the 'stupid' is unforgivable. I was hoping for more.
Old 08-10-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I really liked this movie. I thought it wasn't the greatest script, but I thought that the direction was absolutely fantastic and really elevated the film. Some of the best special effects I have seen and nothing seemed CGI even Elysium which was wondrous. I would love to see him direct the second SW movie
Old 08-10-13, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm surprised to see all of the love heaped on District 9.

I thought that the metaphor in that movie was a too heavy-handed, and it felt like I was constantly being beat over the head with the message. Now, mind, it's a message I'm sympathetic to, but it's something that would seem to work better in a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits type of setting than being stretched out to a full-length movie.
Old 08-10-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm surprised to see all of the love heaped on District 9.

I thought that the metaphor in that movie was a too heavy-handed, and it felt like I was constantly being beat over the head with the message. Now, mind, it's a message I'm sympathetic to, but it's something that would seem to work better in a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits type of setting than being stretched out to a full-length movie.
I'm surprised at all of the hate for District 9. You're really that surprised? I heard nothing but raves when it initially came out. It's great, a purely visceral piece of sci-fi. The hate strikes me as a jumping on the band wagon type of deal(I'm sure that's not the case for all but I do get that aftertaste when people say District 9 was too preachy/unoriginal/devolved into another action movie opinion.).The mixture of message, action, and sci-fi all clicks for me. I love that the hero starts off as a bit of a douche and the action beats at the end bring a big roar from me.

I can't say the same for Elysium though. Sure, it's a solid movie but I think this ends up being more heavy handed then District 9. Definitely needed some more character building. Damon's final act seems comes off as "Eh, I'm tired from all this fighting anyways. I need a rest." It doesn't feel earned. The world looks great though. I continue to love the weapons Blomkamp pollutes his films with but the I didn't have as enthusiastic a reaction. My fault for hyping it up. Shit.
Old 08-10-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

District 9 didn't work for me because I found it poorly paced and then videogame-y. I thought it was clever, just didn't enjoy it.
Old 08-10-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I liked the intent of District 9. I just felt the script wasn't clever enough to carry that message across. And as RichC2 said, it turned into a video game during the end. At that point it just went full retard and I didn't care for it one bit.

It was far better as a short and even the short was rather dull.
Old 08-10-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I liked the intent of District 9. I just felt the script wasn't clever enough to carry that message across. And as RichC2 said, it turned into a video game during the end. At that point it just went full retard and I didn't care for it one bit.

It was far better as a short and even the short was rather dull.
This is all alien language to me. I felt the action stemmed organically from what happened before. Nothing retarded about it. The action had a lot more impact than some recent blockbusters so I don't see the video game criticism either. Didn't you like Hansel and Gretel? District 9's action seemed like a video game but that movie's didn't? Ai-yi-yi!
Old 08-10-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I thought it was clever, just didn't enjoy it.
So, you don't enjoy clever things? "This movie was clever but I'm quite the dullard!" That's what your comment sounds like!
Old 08-10-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

District 9 was also part one of a proposed series wasn't it? Elysium was conceived as a standalone feature. If not, and they decide to continue this story, they really need to expand on the universe. L.A., as big as it was in the film, is to small of a focus. What about the rest of the world? Are they all in L.A. too? I think Blomkamp should have brought his co-writer on D9 along to help flesh out Elysium.
Old 08-10-13, 03:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

judging by the lack of ratings in the poll, this looks like it won't do so well this weekend. anyone have early estimates?

**edit** boxofficemojo says around $30 million. i guess that is pretty decent. well short of production and ad budget, so we will see if a profit is in the future...
Old 08-10-13, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

^ My showing was close to full on a Saturday afternoon. Rare for a rated R movie. Also, many people are most likely doing back to school shopping this weekend.

Saw it. Good but not great.

My major problem: Elysium seems to rely on Delacourt calling Kruger to shoot down any attempt to breach the area. The whole place is open for ANY kind of craft to fly right in with no form of defenses? No missile turrets or even a force field? Give me a break. If the people on Earth decided to launch a massive invasion with hundreds of ships, they would be screwed in Elysium. No way Kruger or however many other sleeper agents they had could shoot them all down.
Also, I disliked the fact that they turned the third act into Mortal Kombat. That aside, it was entertaining and Blomkamp seems to have the ability to create worlds on the level of Ridley Scott. Very impressive visually, but I thought the production values on District 9 were more impressive, and that had a much smaller budget.
Old 08-10-13, 07:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you mean it went Mortal Kombat?
Old 08-10-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Best movie with humans in metal suits this year. Liked it, but it didn't live up to my expectations.
Old 08-10-13, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ My showing was close to full on a Saturday afternoon. Rare for a rated R movie. Also, many people are most likely doing back to school shopping this weekend.

Saw it. Good but not great.

My major problem: Elysium seems to rely on Delacourt calling Kruger to shoot down any attempt to breach the area. The whole place is open for ANY kind of craft to fly right in with no form of defenses? No missile turrets or even a force field? Give me a break. If the people on Earth decided to launch a massive invasion with hundreds of ships, they would be screwed in Elysium. No way Kruger or however many other sleeper agents they had could shoot them all down.
Also, I disliked the fact that they turned the third act into Mortal Kombat. That aside, it was entertaining and Blomkamp seems to have the ability to create worlds on the level of Ridley Scott. Very impressive visually, but I thought the production values on District 9 were more impressive, and that had a much smaller budget.
You're assuming that there's anything or anyone left outside of L.A.

That's one of the weak plot points in the film.
Old 08-10-13, 09:11 PM

Elysium 2: opening scene. Wide pan of the once pristine and beautiful Elysium overrun by disease, pollution, and poverty. End scene.

Saw it tonight. I loved it. Not nearly as good as DS9, but beautiful and good action. Needed better casting and writing, but overall it was fun and engaging.
Old 08-10-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dave-o

Elysium 2: opening scene. Wide pan of the once pristine and beautiful Elysium overrun by disease, pollution, and poverty. End scene.

Saw it tonight. I loved it. Not nearly as good as DS9, but beautiful and good action. Needed better casting and writing, but overall it was fun and engaging.
Racist.
Old 08-10-13, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Racist.
Old 08-10-13, 09:52 PM

By the way, why does the hippo help the meerkat?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.