Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
6.52%
2.17%
23.91%
23.91%
21.74%
8.70%
6.52%
4.35%
0%
0%
2.17%
District 10: dan30oly is a troll
0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: Elysium (Blomkamp, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
This is all alien language to me. I felt the action stemmed organically from what happened before. Nothing retarded about it. The action had a lot more impact than some recent blockbusters so I don't see the video game criticism either. Didn't you like Hansel and Gretel? District 9's action seemed like a video game but that movie's didn't? Ai-yi-yi!
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters was a stupid-fun time waster and never pretended to be otherwise. District 9 aspired to be legitimate sci-fi but failed in that regard. Finally it decided to be a live action third person shooter. Total bait and switch.
Old 08-11-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Not really. the first 80% of that film was straight up social commentary and all that. It was the last part of the film ( the very last) that was mainstream action. Hell, Vickus redeemed himself at the end.

You need to watch it again. Maybe it'll sink in a bit more now that you've seen how uneven Elysium is.
Old 08-11-13, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Not really. the first 80% of that film was straight up social commentary and all that. It was the last part of the film ( the very last) that was mainstream action. Hell, Vickus redeemed himself at the end.
No, your percentages line up with how I saw it. The problem is that I felt the attempt at social commentary was hamfisted at best. And then the finale was even worse when the movie seems to say "aw, fuck it" and just becomes a shooter at the end. I honestly felt nothing for Sharlto Copley's character. Not even when he was supposed to be "redeemed".

Let's just agree that y'all liked District 9 and I thought it was shit. This thread isn't even about that flick anyway so I apologize for bringing it up.

As for Elysium, I haven't seen it yet and will simply wait 'til it's available on RedBox. It's not a must see movie for me.
Old 08-11-13, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
No, your percentages line up with how I saw it. The problem is that I felt the attempt at social commentary was hamfisted at best. And then the finale was even worse when the movie seems to say "aw, fuck it" and just becomes a shooter at the end. I honestly felt nothing for Sharlto Copley's character. Not even when he was supposed to be "redeemed".

Let's just agree that y'all liked District 9 and I thought it was shit. This thread isn't even about that flick anyway so I apologize for bringing it up.

As for Elysium, I haven't seen it yet and will simply wait 'til it's available on RedBox. It's not a must see movie for me.
It doesn't though (3 years for aliens to return). It was also obvious that they at least foreshadow sequels. Elysium doesn't even do that and in retrospect, I know we have haters out there, but I'm sure Peter Jackson had a lot to do with the molding of D9 as opposed to not being involved at all on Elysium.

And you're goddamn right that you're sorry for bringing it up.
Old 08-11-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And you're goddamn right that you're sorry for bringing it up.
Yeah, bringing up shitty movies like District 9 make me farty and bloaty. So I am truly sorry for the smell.
Old 08-11-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, bringing up shitty movies like District 9 make me farty and bloaty. So I am truly sorry for the smell.
Farty smelling opinions make me puke. So, there!
Old 08-11-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What do you mean it went Mortal Kombat?
Spoiler:
The final fight between Kruger and Max. The minute they resurrected Kruger I knew that's where the movie was headed. He gets his own bionic attachments and the confrontation begins with Kruger jumping into the air in a style that was totally out of sync with the rest of the movie.
Old 08-11-13, 09:33 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
By the way, why does the hippo help the meerkat?
Because he has a machine that can heal any disease and costs him nothing to share anyway. He eventually stops liking to enslave people.
Old 08-11-13, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Spoiler:
The final fight between Kruger and Max. The minute they resurrected Kruger I knew that's where the movie was headed. He gets his own bionic attachments and the confrontation begins with Kruger jumping into the air in a style that was totally out of sync with the rest of the movie.
hrmm. That didn't bother me. I thought it made sense. Newer model attachment and Kruger's pretty wild. I thought it ramped up to that level fine.
Old 08-11-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

It looks like the same opinion as alot of others. I liked Elysium, but it didn't meet my expectations. District 9 was alot better IMO.

I liked Elysium enough to buy a copy when it comes out on Blu and think multiple viewings will help.
Old 08-11-13, 11:11 AM
Banned

Same here. My level of enjoyment trumps what issues I had with the narrative.
Old 08-11-13, 11:16 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i just think if you go into this with little expectations (i know too hard with D9), but i quite enjoyed this as a pure sci-fi actioner. just really surprised me...
Old 08-11-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
hrmm. That didn't bother me. I thought it made sense. Newer model attachment and Kruger's pretty wild. I thought it ramped up to that level fine.
From a standpoint of needing an action sequence, it did. I just thought it felt obligatory.

I do agree that this works better as just a sci-fi action flick than anything else. However, you can't tell me that if this were made the way it was by anyone other than Blomkamp (or another director held in high regard) it would be getting such benefit of the doubt three star type reviews.

One last thing
Spoiler:
did the code they broke make everyone on earth a citizen? If so, then the robots designed to protect people are now rendered useless, even against real bad guys who are definitely in abundance in this universe.
Old 08-11-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
From a standpoint of needing an action sequence, it did. I just thought it felt obligatory.

I do agree that this works better as just a sci-fi action flick than anything else. However, you can't tell me that if this were made the way it was by anyone other than Blomkamp (or another director held in high regard) it would be getting such benefit of the doubt three star type reviews.

One last thing
Spoiler:
did the code they broke make everyone on earth a citizen? If so, then the robots designed to protect people are now rendered useless, even against real bad guys who are definitely in abundance in this universe.
They didn't say Earth technically, since we never leave L.A. They're not useless, they're just on standby against a non-citizen threat.
Old 08-11-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Blomkamp is a visionary. His sci-fi vision and execution of the effects are near perfect.

I enjoyed the movie. But wasn't totally on board for everything. Some good action scattered throughout. The scenes that were supposed to be emotional weren't very effective for me.

I probably enjoyed the first act the most.

I work around factories a good bit. Going inside that curing chamber was just stupid to me. Of course the hydraulics were going to free up and lock him in there. A simple fix in the logistics could have had Damon putting a bar or something in there to hold the door open. Little stuff like that in sci-fi bother me.

The mercenary stole the show. Copley is a very entertaining actor. He took most of the scenes in The A-Team too. And then carried District 9 largely by himself.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 08-11-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this yesterday and loved it. Visually, it was very much a continuation of the style of District 9, and everything (all the futuristic tech) felt "real".

One thing I don't get though is how so much of the hype building up to the film mentioned that we've never seen anything like this film. But the film does recycle bits and pieces from other films. It's just that it combines them in a fresh and entertaining way.

Also, it seems like Elysium itself had no weapons of its own to protect from "undocumented" ships incoming? Seems kind of strange that they would have to use assets on Earth to "protect" themselves. And the bit about changing the reboot program to make everyone on Earth a citizen of Elysium (by simply changing one variable) seemed kind of laughable.

Other than that, it was a very solid film. Though I didn't mention any of my above issues in my review of the film.
Old 08-11-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I enjoyed it pretty well, though more for it's visionary aspect than anything having to do with story or character.

It was kinda dumb, though not nearly as dumb as Prometheus.
Old 08-11-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. Good effects throughout (except when that guy's face was re-constructed). Nice premise, but the execution was ridiculous. Jodi Foster's character was so heartless she was hard to take seriously, as was her pretentious accent. I accepted the MRI-type machine that detected and cured illness in mere seconds, but when the guy's face was blown off and a machine "grew" it back in a matter of seconds (and the guy could speak normally without any therapy whatsoever), they were asking the audience to believe too much IMHO.

The lack of security on Elysium itself was laughable, especially knowing that Jodi Foster's character had no regard for the lives of non-citizens. I'd expect someone like that to have a better defense system on board or more guards, especially given the fact that the station wasn't enclosed and a ship could land anywhere so long as it got past a few missiles from Earth.

And what was really the point of Matt Damon's exoskeleton? To look cool? I thought it looked cumbersome. The film was filled with flashbacks of Damon's character and his childhood female friend as if that relationship was supposed to be important to the story, but in the present time it never felt like she wanted him in her life. He could have just as easily met her and her sick kid for the first time while on the run, and he would have had as little chemistry with her as he did when he reunited with his dear childhood friend. And how did that Hispanic woman know that Damon's character would grow up to do something important? Could she see the future or was she just speaking out of her ass to cheer him up?

I was on the fence about seeing this movie. Thank god I paid matinee prices. Wish I had waited for it to come to Redbox though. 2 stars.
Old 08-11-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with all of you, definite problems but still dug it. People are always saying there are no original ideas, but this one was original.
Old 08-11-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went in w/ low expectations and I came out enjoying it. I would've liked a bit more story to flesh it out a bit. I thought that meerkat story would've melted Max's heart but hell, he walked out on them to save his own skin. That was different and I appreciated that.

My take on the lack of defenses on Elysium was Foster having Wikus on Earth shoot down the shuttles was against Elysium policy. Why else would she have been reprimanded for her actions by the president and Wikus decommissioned?

I think all the ports and Wikus' body were made for the armor to be screwed into him. They never really explained what those were for that I saw. Must've had some face armor that could've been attached as well. So, he's obviously well-trained with it and can do things like the power jump.
Old 08-11-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The lack of lethal security on Elysium is exactly like the Mexican border. We're not down there leveling Mexicans who cross. We find them (mostly) and deport. Same goes for the way they allow hacks in the system. Though the "Earth" hack was a bit of a reach.

We also don't have hoards of armed Mexicans revolting at once - demanding entry into the USA.

I'd imagine that if they had a foreign policy of executing illegal immigrants, Earth would take offense to that. Other than some spies, does any country on Earth execute illegal immigrants?

Elysium is basically it's own country.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 08-11-13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
And what was really the point of Matt Damon's exoskeleton?
To make him stronger. He was weakened from the radiation, and the suit made him strong and agile. It appears to be a tactile/military invention from the future. The guys in LA had an older used unit. Then the mercenary had a new unit.

I wasn't crazy about the movie. But you guys missed a lot of the plot points.
Old 08-11-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was pretty good but it could've been much, much more. The “world” started to fall apart the deeper we got into the film.

I thought the weapons were really cool.
Old 08-11-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Just got back from seeing it. Good effects throughout (except when that guy's face was re-constructed). Nice premise, but the execution was ridiculous. Jodi Foster's character was so heartless she was hard to take seriously, as was her pretentious accent. I accepted the MRI-type machine that detected and cured illness in mere seconds, but when the guy's face was blown off and a machine "grew" it back in a matter of seconds (and the guy could speak normally without any therapy whatsoever), they were asking the audience to believe too much IMHO.

The lack of security on Elysium itself was laughable, especially knowing that Jodi Foster's character had no regard for the lives of non-citizens. I'd expect someone like that to have a better defense system on board or more guards, especially given the fact that the station wasn't enclosed and a ship could land anywhere so long as it got past a few missiles from Earth.

And what was really the point of Matt Damon's exoskeleton? To look cool? I thought it looked cumbersome. The film was filled with flashbacks of Damon's character and his childhood female friend as if that relationship was supposed to be important to the story, but in the present time it never felt like she wanted him in her life. He could have just as easily met her and her sick kid for the first time while on the run, and he would have had as little chemistry with her as he did when he reunited with his dear childhood friend. And how did that Hispanic woman know that Damon's character would grow up to do something important? Could she see the future or was she just speaking out of her ass to cheer him up?

I was on the fence about seeing this movie. Thank god I paid matinee prices. Wish I had waited for it to come to Redbox though. 2 stars.

I thought it looked neat. It reminded me of stop motion. We don't really see stop motion all that much anymore.
Old 08-11-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought it looked neat. It reminded me of stop motion. We don't really see stop motion all that much anymore.
I agree it looked like stop motion, but that's why I thought it looked bad... like the Nazis' faces melting in Raiders of the Lost Ark. It just looked outdated to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.