Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

ALL IS LOST (2013) (dir. J.C. Chandor) (Robert Redford)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sJBmBMsjv7A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/
Old 11-14-13, 08:15 PM

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: ALL IS LOST (2013) (dir. J.C. Chandor) (Robert Redford)

Perhaps this is in limited release so no one has seen it. A terrific performance by Robert Redford. No backstory, no dialog, riveting.
Old 11-14-13, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's castaway?
Old 11-14-13, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I saw it a couple weeks ago, loved it. Amazing performance by Redford, too bad he won't win the Oscar (Chiwetel Ejiofor has that wrapped up). The storm sequence is riveting, like watching a slow motion car crash.
Old 11-14-13, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't we have another thread on this?
Old 11-23-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw this---really good. Redford does a nice job of portraying a sailor who is past his prime physicaly, but is really smart, experienced, calm and resourceful. You just get your hopes up for the character and the situation, and then things go right downhill again.

It's funny, other than the opening narration and some distress calls to others, I believe Redford only utters a single word of monologue in the whole film:

Spoiler:
"FUCKKK!!!"
Old 11-23-13, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I saw it a couple weeks ago, loved it. Amazing performance by Redford, too bad he won't win the Oscar (Chiwetel Ejiofor has that wrapped up). The storm sequence is riveting, like watching a slow motion car crash.
I think Redford might have an edge with the whole Lifetime Achievement factor. True, he already has an Oscar, but it's for directing.

Saw this last week and really liked it. A mix of Life of Pi with a bit of Gravity as well. I loved that we truly knew nothing about the character other than he has some regrets about life as told in the letter V.O.
Old 01-10-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

watched this last night and thought it was great. redford has still got it. really well done. didn't crack my top 10 for the year but certainly honorable mention. 4/5

Last edited by riotinmyskull; 01-10-14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw it this morning and at first I was conflicted but then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It really was a brilliant film. I have to write the review up but I will say that the sound is demo and from what I've just read it's been nominated for best sound - rightfully so.
Old 02-14-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great movie. Had me riveted until the end. Altho I'm curious as to what you think happened?

Spoiler:
Did he die and hallucinate being saved? I felt he was rescued - but I hate how it was so abrupt like that
Old 02-14-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
Great movie. Had me riveted until the end. Altho I'm curious as to what you think happened?

Spoiler:
Did he die and hallucinate being saved? I felt he was rescued - but I hate how it was so abrupt like that
I think
Spoiler:
he was rescued.
Old 02-14-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Saw it this morning and at first I was conflicted but then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It really was a brilliant film. I have to write the review up but I will say that the sound is demo and from what I've just read it's been nominated for best sound - rightfully so.
This x 10. Redford should have been nominated over Dern. The film was also more Best Picture worthy over "Nebraska".
Old 02-14-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

IDK, I wasn't as enamored as some here. Yes, Redford was fantastic and deserved a nomination but the movie on the whole didn't grab me on an emotional level, but was still entertaining and never got dull despite virtually no dialogue.
Old 02-14-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
This x 10. Redford should have been nominated over Dern. The film was also more Best Picture worthy over "Nebraska".
Naw, not taking anything away from Redford - but I thought Dern gave the better performance - VERY believable and authentic performance. If anything, Redford should've been nominated over DiCaprio.
Old 02-14-14, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Naw, not taking anything away from Redford - but I thought Dern gave the better performance - VERY believable and authentic performance. If anything, Redford should've been nominated over DiCaprio.
The sequence where DiCaprio is trying to get into his car while on ludes is the best physical acting of all of last year. I liked 'All is Lost', but as far as acting goes DiCaprio was much more deserving IMHO.
Old 02-14-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Originally Posted by Coral
Now that I agree with. But I was just talking to several of my friends a few days ago who saw "Nebraska", and all felt any older actor could have turned in the same performance as Dern. If not better. None of us were blown away from it. I liked the film overall more than my friends.
Old 02-14-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
He died, I believe the director confirmed this. The hand reaching down from the "sky" and the flash of light gave it away.
Old 02-14-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Decided to pick up the Blu-ray of this tonight and watched it. Good movie and a very impressive performance by Redford. Definitely felt bad for him and all the shit luck he had the entire film.

Spoiler:
Kind of wished that the ending had a bit more resolve rather than being ambiguous. I normally don't mind if a film has an ambiguous ending but in a film like this when you only get one character and feel for him the entire time it would have been nice to know the resolve to his story.
Old 05-03-14, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Watched it this morning and thought it was great. I liked how calm Redford's character remained despite all the shit going down around him.

Also, I can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I did when Redford screamed "FUUUUUUUCK!!" Reminded me of this meme

Anyway, I really enjoyed it and
Spoiler:
was happy to see him get rescued at the last second