Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Old 08-02-13, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (2013)

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I hear conflicting reports about this. While Wikipedia lists it among the most profitable, Warner/DC has said that a sequel to WW was scrapped because it didn't sell well. And it's the only DC title I've seen show up frequently at deep discount stores like Big Lots and Five Below.

It is an excellent movie, though.

From what I heard, WW didn't sell as quickly as the WB would have liked. Even tho it's become profitable over time, they were looking for "sold out in it's first week" type sales. Batman, Superman and (especially) Justice League sell good and quick which is why we see more of those titles now.
Old 08-02-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I read somewhere that there was supposed to be an extended cut or rated r version of WW released but since it didn't sell as well it got scratched. Also I agree with the rest WW along with Under the Red and now Flaspoint are among the best output from DC animated although I do like them all
Old 08-02-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched this yesterday; it didn't wow me given the high praise, but enjoyed it a lot and was really surprised at how violent it was; some blood, holes through people's bodies and heads, limbs getting cut off, heroes and villains dying... cool to see and really felt like it upped the stakes as far as consequences. I just didn't like how it wrapped up.

Spoiler:
Having not read the comic, basically I had no idea that Flash had gone back to save his mom. So the revelation that was the cause of the fucked up world was just a "Huh? When did that happen?" to me and felt like I missed something. Just wasn't a fan of how the story was established.

Meanwhile, I never did watch Wonder Woman. I'll have to go check it out given the praise here.
Old 08-03-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
Haven't seen the movie yet, but at least in the comic
Spoiler:

In the alternate universe, Wonder Woman was to get married to Aquaman but something happened resulting in war between Themyscira and Atlantis; I believe Flashpoint starts years into this war.

It's also important to note that Wonder Woman is sometimes portrayed as an Amazon who has no problem with war or killing if it's for the greater good. So she's not always the nicest person in the world, even though she is also sometimes represented as an ambassador of peace.
I always thought Batman was a dick for not killing Joker, when WW has to bust heads its never like "Don't do that!" as the reader. I liked Wonder Woman the movie a lot but didn't think it was the same level as this and Red Hood.
Old 08-03-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Watched Wonder Woman today and loved it. Might watch Flashpoint Paradox tonight.
Old 08-03-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved this movie. I thought it was easily the best of the DC animated movies. I liked WW but didn't think it was anything special except it was nice to have a WW movie.

The only thing I didn't care for was batman. I couldn't see a doctor becoming the worlds greatest detective. I did like the concept though.
Old 08-03-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Loved this movie. I thought it was easily the best of the DC animated movies. I liked WW but didn't think it was anything special except it was nice to have a WW movie.

The only thing I didn't care for was batman. I couldn't see a doctor becoming the worlds greatest detective. I did like the concept though.
Well, to be fair, how did Bruce become the world's greatest detective? They both had the same motivation, just took a different path. Seems to me, it's reasonable that over the course of 25+ years, with strict devotion for vengeance (as he stated he gave up being a doctor after the murder), he could become Batman.
Old 08-04-13, 05:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't see a doctor becoming the worlds greatest detective.
You have a problem with that but not a problem with Bruce, who was a master ninja, master scientist, and master detective, all by the time he was 25 years old?
Old 08-04-13, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
You have a problem with that but not a problem with Bruce, who was a master ninja, master scientist, and master detective, all by the time he was 25 years old?
I never said anything about a master ninja or master scientist and batman was in his mid thirties when he started crime fighting.

That reminds me of something else I didn't care fore. Batman was created through his experiences. His father would have different experiences and experiencing them at a far older age. Some of those things were reflected in the new batman. He wasn't super smart, he relied more on guns than gadgets. But still took up the mantle of batman. Why not owlman or anything else. Does he still have his photographic memory? The event creating batamn was so different the end result should have been far greater.
Old 08-04-13, 08:08 AM
Banned

I never said anything about a master ninja or master scientist and batman was in his mid thirties when he started crime fighting.
Actually no, in the comics Bruce was always 25 when he started his Batman career. I don't think his age was ever explicitly stated in movies or TV, but in the comics its most definitely 25.

Scan from Batman: Year One showing his age:

That reminds me of something else I didn't care fore. Batman was created through his experiences. His father would have different experiences and experiencing them at a far older age. Some of those things were reflected in the new batman. He wasn't super smart, he relied more on guns than gadgets. But still took up the mantle of batman. Why not owlman or anything else. Does he still have his photographic memory? The event creating batamn was so different the end result should have been far greater.
There's an old comic story from the early 1980s called To Kill A Legend that showed there will always be a Batman regardless of circumstances. It showed an alternate universe where Bruce's parents didn't die, and Bruce still became Batman. What happened is that Phantom Stranger showed this alternate universe to the main universe Bruce, and Bruce decided to go to that alternate universe and stop Joe Chill from killing his parents. In the end, that alternate universe's Bruce was so inspired by Batman, that he ended up becoming Batman anyway. It was a fantastic story, well worth reading.

What did you think of
Spoiler:
Martha as Flashpoint's Joker?
Old 08-04-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I am in the minority, because I didn't care for this one at all. Thought it was one of the weakest of the DC Animated movies. As a casual fan of the comics, I had no idea who most of the people were and they didn't even bother to name them. I liked the violence and "adult-ness" for lack of a better term, but to me if you have to know the source material to follow along, then the film has failed.

I have seen every DC animated film and even with ones that have characters I am not as familiar with, they did a much better job of explaining or at least providing names for them without having to resort to Wikipedia. This just seemed like a masturbation effort for fans of this particular story.
Old 08-04-13, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
As a casual fan of the comics, I had no idea who most of the people were and they didn't even bother to name them.
Who did you not recognize?
Old 08-04-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Reverse Flash who they kept calling some other name so I didn't even know they were referring to him most of the time. I had to Wikipedia to see it was Thawne. The rest are all from Wikipedia but who I never heard of before and most not mentioned by name in the film that I can remember.

Etigan
Grifter
Dr. Vulko
Captain Atom
whoever all those kids were.
Captain Boomerang
Heat Wave
Mirror Master
Old 08-04-13, 11:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

not bad, not bad at all. nice violence, good story, exciting in some parts, confusing in others, but overall probably 2nd for me after Wonder Woman in the DC Universe of animated films.
Old 08-04-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't know who Reverse Flash was either, so them calling him Thawne or Zoom or whoever confused me a bit, but they gave enough back story about him that it wasn't a big deal.
Old 08-04-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Reverse Flash who they kept calling some other name so I didn't even know they were referring to him most of the time. I had to Wikipedia to see it was Thawne. The rest are all from Wikipedia but who I never heard of before and most not mentioned by name in the film that I can remember.

Etigan
Grifter
Dr. Vulko
Captain Atom
whoever all those kids were.
Captain Boomerang
Heat Wave
Mirror Master
If you have watched any of the Justice League episodes, Etrigan, Captain Atom, Captain Boomerang and Mirror Master are all in several episodes. If you haven't seen them, and are a casual fan, it would be difficult to keep up with all of them.
Old 08-04-13, 11:58 AM
Banned

You must not be much a Flash fan because Reverse-Flash/Zoom, Captain Boomerang, Heat Wave, and Mirror Master are all classic Flash rogues.

Etrigan the Demon isn't that minor of a character really. He had several appearances in Bruce Timm's DCAU.

The kids were new characters introduced in Flashpoint, so not knowing them is understandable. Basically the Flashpoint version of Captain Marvel isn't just Billy Batson shouting "SHAZAM!!" to transform into Captain Marvel, but rather all those kids together turn into Captain Marvel kind of like all the lions come together to form Voltron. It was a pretty stupid change.
Old 08-04-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy cripes. Yet another anime influenced art direction. Ugh.
Old 08-04-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
It looks great!
Old 08-04-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That was another thing I didn't care much for about the movie. Some of the character design looked fine, while others I thought just stood out in a negative way (Aquaman).
Old 08-04-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It looks great!
Really?

Why is Supes head so tiny?

What is wrong with GL's nose?!?

Oh GOD! Aquamans been infected with tinyheaditis too!

Change her hair and Wonder Woman could be any generic anime lady.

Looks like the animator just gave the fuck up on Superman here.

And this is just from the first 10 minutes. I say no thank you to giant eyed superheroes.
Old 08-04-13, 06:50 PM
Banned

I'm guessing you haven't actually seen any anime.
Old 08-04-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I'm guessing you haven't actually seen any anime.
Youre telling me its not anime influenced? Outta your mind.
Old 08-04-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Youre telling me its not anime influenced? Outta your mind.
Uh, I think he IS telling you that it's anime influenced. In anime they all look like that. In this DC flick they look like that, because they ARE anime influenced.
Old 08-04-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Really?

Why is Supes head so tiny?

What is wrong with GL's nose?!?

Oh GOD! Aquamans been infected with tinyheaditis too!

Change her hair and Wonder Woman could be any generic anime lady.

Looks like the animator just gave the fuck up on Superman here.

And this is just from the first 10 minutes. I say no thank you to giant eyed superheroes.
That looks fucking horrible. Was it Rob Liefeld that made this?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.