Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLaine)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLaine)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLa

I enjoyed it, but mainly from the photography aspect of it, and the nice scenery throw in. Is it true to the source material, I don't really know. I do know that this particular "Walter Mitty" had a character arc, and I enjoyed the improbable ride he goes on in the film. Are the daydream segments over-the-top? Sure, but that's the marketing hook at play. Once you get past that, and Walter starts really "living" life, the themes played out fine for me. I usually can't stand Sean Penn, but for the small role he played, I wasn't pulled out the film by his presence or acting. For some things, the film reminds us to just take some time and let things soak in.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 12-30-13, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) (D: Stiller; S: Stiller, Wiig, Penn, MacLa

Wife and I enjoyed this last night. It's a slow build, but worth it in the end. Good job overall by Stiller and Wiig. Nice visuals and scenery. Touching story. Got me all emotional in certain parts.
Old 12-30-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The short story audiobook is free on Audible, narrated by Ben Stiller. It's 15 minutes long.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Fr...FP9077RA112013
Old 01-01-14, 12:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the myriad trailers killed it for me - nothing was a surprise and the story played it safe and was very predictable - the audience last night did a mild clap after the film, I just sat there dumbfounded.
Old 01-01-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I think the myriad trailers killed it for me - nothing was a surprise and the story played it safe and was very predictable - the audience last night did a mild clap after the film, I just sat there dumbfounded.
I have always thought that clapping after a movie is a bit silly since there is nobody there to receive the praise.
Old 01-02-14, 02:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I think it's kind of stupid to clap to a movie when nobody is there for it.
Old 01-02-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night some idiots at my theater clapped after a trailer. That fucking dumbfounded me. It was thee Son of God trailer. Ugh.
Old 01-02-14, 09:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Last night some idiots at my theater clapped after a trailer. That fucking dumbfounded me. It was thee Son of God trailer. Ugh.
those Jesus freaks...
Old 03-27-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't really like the trailers for this one, kind of tried too hard. The movie also tries too hard, but it's a nice feel good movie (yeah it's complete fantasy) with a good message (like "Fuck it, get on helicopters with drunk pilots and see what happens!") and some bad ass locales. It was also pretty entertaining and well paced, I actually liked it a good bit.
Old 03-27-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

What happened to this movie? It went from 'this might win an Oscar' to being quickly forgotten.
Old 03-27-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
What happened to this movie? It went from 'this might win an Oscar' to being quickly forgotten.
The studio was pimping it as a potential oscar contender mixed with a Christmas release date. Turns out it isn't Oscar material, it's a very over the top, lightweight feel good kind of movie.
Old 05-15-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw this and thought it was really good. Everyone fit their parts really well, and I enjoyed the journey Mitty went on. I thought the X-ray scene at the airport was hilarious.

I think that the movie was marketed horribly. It was hard to understand the tone of the film based on the trailers, so much so that I even rented this movie hoping for the best but expecting not to be overly impressed. But I thought it was great. Stiller did a great job directing, and I'm beginning to realize that I enjoy virtually everything that Kristen Wiig is in.
Old 05-16-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
I saw this and thought it was really good. Everyone fit their parts really well, and I enjoyed the journey Mitty went on. I thought the X-ray scene at the airport was hilarious.

I think that the movie was marketed horribly. It was hard to understand the tone of the film based on the trailers, so much so that I even rented this movie hoping for the best but expecting not to be overly impressed. But I thought it was great. Stiller did a great job directing, and I'm beginning to realize that I enjoy virtually everything that Kristen Wiig is in.
Funny it was because of the trailers that I was hyped on seeing this film and all I can say is that it delivered perfectly on my expectations