Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wolverine (Mangold, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Wolverine (Mangold, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
0%
7.25%
31.88%
20.29%
14.49%
8.70%
7.25%
0%
2.90%
0%
4.35%
Wolverine 2: Adamantium Boogaloo
2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

The Wolverine (Mangold, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Old 07-27-13, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Wolverine (Mangold, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I didn't think X-Men Origins was that bad of a movie. I thought it was an ok movie that definitely could have been better. I feel the same way about this new movie. There's some good stuff, but it should have been better. The villains were mediocre. And why the hell did they hook up Wolverine with the dull Mariko? Yukio was so bad ass and such a cool character. She was much more worthy of Wolvie's attentions.
Old 07-27-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Got to see this yesterday at a work event. I really really enjoyed it as a Wolverine comic fan. While the last 1/4 of the movie is a bit hokey due to the lack of an interesting villain(s), I loved the tighter focus on Wolverine himself and while I was afraid him being powerless for a good amount of the movie would be gimmicky, it worked really well for me. Enjoyed his interaction with Mariko and Yukio, and the action scenes were done pretty well (the train sequence was still a bit silly, but not as bad as I feared). I could have done without all the Jean stuff, but I suppose it made sense given the events of X3. Some notes:

Spoiler:
I was curious if they would do something interesting with Mariko given that she becomes Deathstryke in the comic (even though they used that character already), but alas no dice. The political stuff with Yashida was more interesting then the end with Viper and a silly looking Silver Samurai. Although watching Wolverine get his claws sliced off was pretty awesome and shocking.

Overall, I probably liked it as much if not more then Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel. Good entry in the series, and bridges the gap well into the next X-Men.

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-27-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-27-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got dragged to this last night by a piece of tail I'm chasing.

What a terrible fucking flick.

The beginning:
Spoiler:

It was boring.

Secondly, it was a stupid premise.
None of the other X-Men bothered to look for their supposed friend over the year(s)???
What great "people".

In Japan:

Spoiler:

How exactly was his "powers" taken away??? Never explained.
It was too confusing and wasn't explained at all.

Of course they made it even more confusing as they took his powers away and didn't take them away at the same time. Having your cake and eating it too anyone?

So he protects the "princess" and then bangs her. A girl that's hundreds(?) of years younger than him and it doesn't help they made her look all of 17 years old.

Congratulations. You've turned the badass Wolverine into a pedophile.

Cheers.

Next there's The Viper. Who can seemingly spit her venom and suck it back up healing her victims???
How is this done? Because comics. That's why.

The FINAL BATTLE!!!1!!
Spoiler:

Next he fights The Adamantium Iron Man.
The lamest blatant rip off of a creation of all time.

I can't wait for the lawsuits from the creators of Iron Man.
The only thing that was missing as the arc reactor.

Seriously, please find original villians and don't rip off other comic books.

Inside Adamantium Iron Man was a zombie. The dead guy that summoned Wolverine to Japan to bang his underage grand daughter. Seriously. How creepy is it that he banged the grand daughter of the dude he saved 70 years ago???

And now they have taken away Wolverines adamantium claws? How??? Isn't adamantium supposed to be unbreakable? Again, because comic books.

The mid-credits scene:
Spoiler:

PROFESSOR X DIED.

When last we saw Professor X his mind was supposedly put in that coma guy.

Now he's wheeling around in his old wheel chair looking exactly like he did when he was alive?

Seriously?

The explanation: comic books, that's why.

The next X-Men movie can kick rocks. Because shitty movies, that's why.

Bottom Line: Better than Man of Steel.
Old 07-27-13, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing we'll get this on the extended/unrated cut, that Mangold has mention will come, but I was surprised they cut bits out of that ninja fight.

Honestly the boring part for me was when they shoehorned big superhero element in that bit at the end. It was honestly rocking its more subdued but still intriguing faction aspect. Really wish it stayed truer to the story it was based off of. That could have a bigger surprise of an element and more dramatically impactful for the character and the audience to go through.

Originally Posted by Alternative3
I didn't think X-Men Origins was that bad of a movie. I thought it was an ok movie that definitely could have been better. I feel the same way about this new movie. There's some good stuff, but it should have been better. The villains were mediocre. And why the hell did they hook up Wolverine with the dull Mariko? Yukio was so bad ass and such a cool character. She was much more worthy of Wolvie's attentions.
I get what you're saying but Yukio wasn't something that attracted the character. Out of everything the character has lived, Mariko brings what he may have longed for.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Got to see this yesterday at a work event. I really really enjoyed it as a Wolverine comic fan. While the last 1/4 of the movie is a bit hokey due to the lack of an interesting villain(s), I loved the tighter focus on Wolverine himself and while I was afraid him being powerless for a good amount of the movie would be gimmicky, it worked really well for me. Enjoyed his interaction with Mariko and Yukio, and the action scenes were done pretty well (the train sequence was still a bit silly, but not as bad as I feared). I could have done without all the Jean stuff, but I suppose it made sense given the events of X3. Some notes:

Spoiler:
I was curious if they would do something interesting with Mariko given that she becomes Deathstryke in the comic (even though they used that character already), but alas no dice. The political stuff with Yashida was more interesting then the end with Viper and a silly looking Silver Samurai. Although watching Wolverine get his claws sliced off was pretty awesome and shocking.

Overall, I probably liked it as much if not more then Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel. Good entry in the series, and bridges the gap well into the next X-Men.
Mariko Yashida never becomes Lady Deathstrike. Yuriko Oyama became Lady Deathstrike.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-27-13 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alternative3
And why the hell did they hook up Wolverine with the dull Mariko? Yukio was so bad ass and such a cool character. She was much more worthy of Wolvie's attentions.
Mariko is easier on the eyes...
Old 07-27-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dan30oly

The beginning:
Spoiler:

It was boring.

None of the other X-Men bothered to look for their supposed friend over the year(s)???
What great "people".

In Japan:

Spoiler:

Of course they made it even more confusing as they took his powers away and didn't take them away at the same time. Having your cake and eating it too anyone?

So he protects the "princess" and then bangs her. A girl that's hundreds(?) of years younger than him and it doesn't help they made her look all of 17 years old.

Cheers.

Next there's The Viper. Who can seemingly spit her venom and suck it back up healing her victims???

The FINAL BATTLE!!!1!!
Spoiler:

Inside Adamantium Iron Man was a zombie. The dead guy that summoned Wolverine to Japan to bang his underage grand daughter. Seriously. How creepy is it that he banged the grand daughter of the dude he saved 70 years ago???

And now they have taken away Wolverines adamantium claws? How??? Isn't adamantium supposed to be unbreakable? Again, because comic books.

The mid-credits scene:
Spoiler:

PROFESSOR X DIED.

Now he's wheeling around in his old wheel chair looking exactly like he did when he was alive?

Seriously?

I think you're thinking too hard about the "powers" business. Snake chick put some weird mini matrix squid dealie in him that wraps around his heart and weakens his ability to heal. He can still take bullets and shiz, just can't heal as well as he used to. He rips the squid out, he's good to go...
Old 07-27-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Mariko Yashida never becomes Lady Deathstrike. Yuriko Oyama became Lady Deathstrike.
Ooops, you're right. My bad!
Old 07-27-13, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beginning:
Spoiler:

It was boring.

What great "people".

In Japan:

Spoiler:

Cheers.

The FINAL BATTLE!!!1!!
Spoiler:

The mid-credits scene:
Spoiler:

PROFESSOR X DIED.

Seriously?

I'm not sure we watched the same movie.

Agree with the Viper shit though, dumb villain.
Old 07-27-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
I'm not sure we watched the same movie.

Agree with the Viper shit though, dumb villain.

I too hated the Viper chick. Poorly written character and weak actress to boot. That said, the poster whose judgment you are questioning is something of a threadcrapper/troll in these parts. This one and Dragon Tattoo are favorite members of many ignore lists, including mine.

Back to the movie, I am curious as to how they are going to tie everything in with Days of Future Past.
Spoiler:
Obviously something happened to bring back Professor X and restore Magneto's powers, which we saw were returning at the end of X3. We also know that X3 is being considered canon going into Days of Future Past. However, I am curious as to how what we saw in First Class will fit into the equation as Xavier and Magneto have not only had their falling out by the end of that movie, but Xavier is also in the wheel chair. X3 starts with the two of them clearly as friends and Xavier has no disability. Also, if Mystique is immortal and doesn't age either, why would she transform into Rebecca Romjin when turned human as opposed to Jennifer Lawrence? One theory: the Logan we see in First Class has already been through the events of the previous movies including Days of Future Past and is stuck in this time period after helping fix everything. He wants to stay out of the way and knows another version of himself will join these people in the future, so he tells them to "go fuck themselves." In essence, First Class is both a sequel and prequel in an alternate timeline.

My head is already hurting thinking about it and what I've read suggests they are going to do a lot of alternate timeline/time travel stuff. That might work in the comic book medium, but I just don't see it flying in movie form. I also think that maybe my post belongs in the Days of Future Past thread. Oh well...

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 07-27-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assumed dan was one of those people.
Old 07-27-13, 01:18 PM
Banned

From what you've explained it doesn't make sense how he gets stuck before the 70s in DOFP.
Old 07-27-13, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That said, the poster whose judgment you are questioning is something of a threadcrapper/troll in these parts.
I am beyond sick of being labeled as a threadcrapper/troll simply for having different tastes/opinions of movies than you, or the mainstream.

However, I suppose that makes it easier for people (you) to dismiss me.

Whatever.

Originally Posted by anomynous
I assumed dan was one of those people.
Don't assume anything.
Old 07-27-13, 01:46 PM
Banned

It's not malicoiusly labeling if its true.
Old 07-27-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I am beyond sick of being labeled as a threadcrapper/troll simply for having different tastes/opinions of movies than you, or the mainstream.

However, I suppose that makes it easier for people (you) to dismiss me.

Whatever.

Don't assume anything.
Sorry, but if you had any credibilty in the first place, you lost it when you pretended to be mentally handicapped for a month or two.
Old 07-27-13, 01:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I too hated the Viper chick. Poorly written character and weak actress to boot.
That character damn near ruined the movie for me. This is why I hate Fox. Instead of learning from what Marvel are doing with their own properties, they continue to inject lame campy schlock because "Hey, it's a comic book movie!". A more embarrassing female villain has not appeared on screen since Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy. Plus, her dubbing was atrocious. Not super hot and wearing a spandex stripper outfit while walking around in a lab. To add insult to injury, they make her bald in the last act just to pile on the absurdity.

Better than Orgins, but still a mediocre time killer at best. Who didn't see the villain reveal coming a mile away? They set that up so early on you'd have to be a moron not to figure it out. Not to mention Logan avenging the death of the bear... I'm an animal lover and even I couldn't take that shit seriously.
Old 07-27-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

(I'm not going to use spoilers, because if you haven't seen the film then you shouldn't be in this thread to begin with.)

Just got back from this and it pretty much rocked. It made Origins look like the piece of fucking shit it was. Mangold did a great job and I didn't even notice that Scott Frank co-wrote it. I've been a fan of his for years. He wrote - co-wrote Get Shorty, Out of Sight, Minority Report, and wrote and directed The Lookout.

I liked how this wasn't a jumbled piece of crap that just went from one action scene to the next introducing one mutant after another, etc. It took it its time and created a lot of depth for the character.

The bullet train scene that looked awful in the trailer was actually pretty thrilling on the big screen. I enjoyed it.

My only complaint in the whole film would have to be that of Viper. What a horrible actress and lame mutant. They didn't need to play her on the nose in every scene she was in. "Hey, look at me, I have venom and slither like a snake, therefore, I have to wear green eyeshadow or skintight GREEN outfits in almost every scene I'm in." Viper was lame.

Silver Samurai was awesome, though, but if you want to get picky, his sword, which was able to break adamantium, should have turned the ninja leader into liquid when he impaled him with it. It was heated adamantium. /endnerdrant

I hope James Mangold releases his director's cut on Blu-ray like he said he would a few days ago. The end credit scene was also pretty badass.
Old 07-27-13, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Sorry, but if you had any credibilty in the first place, you lost it when you pretended to be mentally handicapped for a month or two.
I explained ages ago that was due to a head injury I was recovering from and was heavily medicated for a while.

Thanks for bringing that back up though. Really like remembering those days.
Old 07-27-13, 03:06 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

You should feel more embarrassed by that atrocious avatar.
Old 07-27-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
You should feel more embarrassed by that atrocious avatar.

I don't know what he said, but yep, he should.
Old 07-27-13, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

21 million on Friday alone:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
Old 07-27-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Unfortunately it's fallen from mid 60's to mid 50's for wknd estimates. In-line with First Class, which puts it at my estimate of 125m domestic. (they had to have anticipated that with the previous Wolverine films damage to the series) But with 3D and the international setting, worldwide could still be 400+.
Old 07-27-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And you have a strong holdover from The Conjuring.
Old 07-27-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
Is this considered in line with the predictions or a disappointment? Considering the character with Jackman in the role has been in numerous movies over the past 13 years, it sounds impressive to me. I never expected it to do massive numbers.
Old 07-27-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got back from this. I thought it was ok. I appreciate that they tried to do something different with it but it wasn't exactly a home run.

Biggest problem was that the villains were lame. I get the idea was to focus on Wolverine and not expand on the villain but we needed a little bit more to make Viper worthy.
Old 07-27-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I liked it. Gave it 3 1/2 out of 5.

Liked the Japan setting and liked that it was a lot more character-driven on Logan and his inner demons.

I was glad that this movie brought some closure to Logan and Jean's relationship.

I thought the action, sets were all solid.

The weakness was definitely the villains. Viper was a weak villain played by a weak actress. If you're going to add a mutant to this movie, at least get a better and hotter actress.

I would have rather seen Shingen developed as the full fledged villain. A little disappointed they made dying Yashida, who Logan saved many years ago, as the main baddie.

Jackman is in phenomenal shape for a guy in his mid-40's. I wouldn't mind seeing another Wolverine movie with Logan and Yukio working together.

Great tease at the end for the next X Men movie.

The movie was pretty violent for PG-13. I do sense there might be an R-rated version with some deleted scenes re-added. Hopefully there is an R-rated or Unrated cut for home video.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.