Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Originally Posted by whotony
@Majorjoe, I've heard that said before but it really can be explained away by just about anything.
He was doing something else.

And can't you say that about any comic that takes place in DC?
Where was superman, why didn't he help the flash when he needed help?
I think as this DC universe expands, that would get even more problematic. Before Rises a whole team of potential helpers has to be established. So if Superman couldn't help, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Cyborg and others should be able to take a few minutes. Plus, Bane had Gotham for something like six months. At some point someone would say "Oh yeah, maybe that's more important than me stopping the Trickster's stupid stunt."

It works in comics because there are 50 some titles and to try to make them all totally cohesive would be insane. But when you're establishing an interlocking movie universe that only includes something like two movies a year, ignoring issues like that would be problematic.

It's one thing in Marvel movies where London is under siege by Dark elves for like an hour. Thor could handle that before the Avengers got there. But if someone is tearing up New York for six months, I would expect the Avengers to come together.
Old 07-29-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
who is the villain supposed to be in this movie??
Warner Bros.
Old 07-29-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Ah, my mistake, and I agree with your sentiment.

My concerns are about what happen after this movie. If they build this incarnation of Batman on the Miller graphic novel version, I don't see anywhere for the character to go but down. And, like many other posters (who are being mocked for having a different opinion), I'm tired and bored with the hopeless Batman ethos.
I have a feeling by the time Justice League comes out Batman will be feeling very invigorated
Old 07-29-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is the obvious one. Not much else I can think of.

I know that prequels didn't really start being a thing until much later, but they were literally the only way to do a follow-up to Highlander without completely fucking it up. And the first movie already had extensive flashbacks showing the immortals in all different sorts of time periods; having a follow-up that did the same thing, with the "modern" segments taking place just before the first movie, wouldn't have seemed odd at all.
Temple of Doom is now an obvious choice, but it wasn't an obvious prequel. The only thing in the movie that indicates that is the title cards. There are no references or plot elements which indicate it occurs before Raiders. I have always wondered if this was even intended to be a prequel (until somebody said, "what happened to the broad in the first movie?").
Old 07-29-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Well, Indy did learn by saving the kids that there's more to life than "fortune and glory" -- his goal stated earlier in the film. By Raiders, his goal was education ("It belongs in a museum!")

So, from a character-development standpoint, it's a prequel beyond the title cards.
Old 07-29-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It's one thing in Marvel movies where London is under siege by Dark elves for like an hour. Thor could handle that before the Avengers got there. But if someone is tearing up New York for six months, I would expect the Avengers to come together.
Old 07-29-14, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Well, Indy did learn by saving the kids that there's more to life than "fortune and glory" -- his goal stated earlier in the film. By Raiders, his goal was education ("It belongs in a museum!")

So, from a character-development standpoint, it's a prequel beyond the title cards.
Except that Last Crusade pissed all over that by establishing that even at a young age Indy had the "It belongs in a museum!" mentality.
Old 07-30-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Warner Bros.
Old 07-30-14, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I love it for how batshit insane it is. And Michael Ironside makes it a hoot, along with Sean Connery's "you wouldn't believe how much they paid me for this shit" grin. Is it a worthy followup to Highlander? Fuck no. But it's such a delightful mess of a movie on its own.
I am with you mate. I went to see the movie on its original theatrical release and i ended up enjoying the hell out of it. I just took it as a completely separate entity from the first movie. I thought the production and design at the time were rather cool. Probably not seen it now since the Renegade version got released, so probably not stood the test of time. I do recall seeing a making of and i believe it was shot in Argentina, which seemed a strange place to film. Guess the tax breaks were good. Ironside always plays a good bad guy. The whole shield protecting the earth was all kind of goofy nonsense, but it was a laugh. I am tempted to rewatch again this week now.

Oh, and i still much prefer the first movie. Its far superior, and its one movie where i could see given the right director and cast could be a really good remake/reboot....just no PG-13. Hell, get Clancy Brown back i say.
Old 07-30-14, 08:46 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Except that Last Crusade pissed all over that by establishing that even at a young age Indy had the "It belongs in a museum!" mentality.
Maybe Indy lost his idealism along the way. Maybe he was short on cash and wanted to get rich like a lot of people do. It happens.
Old 07-30-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a
I am with you mate. I went to see the movie on its original theatrical release and i ended up enjoying the hell out of it. I just took it as a completely separate entity from the first movie. I thought the production and design at the time were rather cool. Probably not seen it now since the Renegade version got released, so probably not stood the test of time. I do recall seeing a making of and i believe it was shot in Argentina, which seemed a strange place to film. Guess the tax breaks were good. Ironside always plays a good bad guy. The whole shield protecting the earth was all kind of goofy nonsense, but it was a laugh. I am tempted to rewatch again this week now.

Oh, and i still much prefer the first movie. Its far superior, and its one movie where i could see given the right director and cast could be a really good remake/reboot....just no PG-13. Hell, get Clancy Brown back i say.
Hey, buddy. How was the Honeymoon?

Yeah, there was a documentary on the Renegade Version that said they got tax incentives but then suddenly the cost of everything ballooned up at an alarming rate. It all sounded like that episode of The Simpsons when Springfield was the location chosen for the Radioactive Man movie.

I love that they went back years later to complete a whole action sequence for the Renegade Version (they even re-hired Christopher Lambert, Virginia Madsen, and Michael Ironside to complete the sequence) but was upset they tried to retcon Zeist and remove all mention of the Quickening. The removal was done to make it more like the series (they even added the wooshing sounds from the series, thus removing key musical cues). On the plus side, they did restore Katana's fights with MacLeod to two separate sequences instead of the merged one in the theatrical cut.

The latest BD release is essentially the Renegade Version (though they omitted one solo action sequence with Virginia Madsen gunning down some guards) but with the musical cues restored and brand new visual effects (the shield is now blue rather than orange and there are strange alien statues on Zeist even though there is a new text that says it is actually just a very long time ago). It's overall the best release but I keep hoping for a cut with all the new stuff plus all the zany Zeist and Quickening mumbo jumbo restored.

The guys who wrote Iron Man wrote the remake script for the (currently in Production Hell) Highlander remake. I personally loved it but many Highlander fans were upset with the changes (which were all logical). I still have it. If you want to read it, drop me a PM.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-30-14 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-30-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Honeymoon was great man.

I am definitely gonna have to re-watch Highlander 2 now.

Getting back to Batman v Superman. Why do i get the feeling that Lex will be the creator of Doomsday and that we may get something alluding to this in the movie setting up his appearance in future movies. I guess if they do an after credits sequence setting up the Justice League it will have to revolve around Darkseid to some extent. It would appear that DC wants to try and take some wind out of Marvels sails by getting their big baddie onscreen before Marvel with Thanos in 2018.

I am really glad that they are moving away from the Nolan-verse with these characters. I liked those movies (well first two and bits of three anyway), but i think holding onto the comic book suspension of disbelief can allow the movie to have more avenues to traverse.
Old 07-30-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Not necessarily. It could just be his ego talking, and he just didn't want anyone else to have it.

Indiana Jones isn't that different from all of the other fortune hunters. He's in it for the glory, if not necessarily the financial rewards, as much as anyone else.
Old 07-30-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We got ourselves some pre-viz for the movie.

Spoiler:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qatmJtIJAPw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 08-06-14, 03:26 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

And Marvel wins the release date war...

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice has been moved up on the release date schedule from May 2016 to March 25, 2016. The move is part Warner Bros’ road map for its DC franchises — Disney/Marvel does the same thing — with dates set for nine untitled DC pics as well as two “untitled WB event film” slots that take the comics series of movies into 2020. With the Batman V. Superman move, the studio has bumped its previous pic in that slot, Geostorm, which WB says it will re-date soon. Here’s the new list of dates just announced:

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice – 03/25/16
Untitled DC Film – 08/05/16
Untitled DC Film – 06/23/17
Untitled DC Film – 11/17/17
Untitled DC Film – 03/23/18
Untitled DC Film – 07/27/18
Untitled WB Event Film – 11/16/18
Untitled DC Film – 04/05/19
Untitled DC Film – 06/14/19
Untitled DC Film – 04/03/20
Untitled DC Film – 06/19/20
Untitled WB Event Film – 11/20/20
Old 08-06-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

March?
Old 08-06-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
March?
That's what it says.
Old 08-06-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

March is a terrible time and puts a serious cap on your potential total grosses due to our cultural calendar. It looks like WB blinked. Moving it to Christmas of 2015 would have made more sense but no one ever accused WB of being geniuses.
Old 08-06-14, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WB is convinced that March is an untapped source of revenue since 300 was a surprise hit in March. They've released a big action movie every March since then.
Old 08-06-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
March is a terrible time and puts a serious cap on your potential total grosses due to our cultural calendar.
Almost all of Snyder's movies (Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch) have had March release dates - it's sorta' his "thing".
Old 08-06-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
WB is convinced that March is an untapped source of revenue since 300 was a surprise hit in March. They've released a big action movie every March since then.
March could work. I assumed they'd move to April but maybe they'd figure to give it a bit more space before Captain America 3 (which I'm not convinced will make that date).
Old 08-06-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

When did staking claim on dates years in advance, for anonymous movies, become such a big deal?
Old 08-06-14, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
When did staking claim on dates years in advance, for anonymous movies, become such a big deal?
When Marvel has hit after hit after hit. There's no stopping the money train for Marvel, except for WB to announce unnamed films that even they have no idea what they will be about.
Old 08-06-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

March doesn't seem too bad lately; seems like Disney likes it too.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime.../?mo=03&p=.htm
Old 08-06-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Almost all of Snyder's movies (Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch) have had March release dates - it's sorta' his "thing".
That's so weird but you're right.

Gives us 2 extra months to crap all over it before Captain America comes out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.