Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
re: Untitled Superman & Batman Film (May 6, 2016) (D: Snyder; S: Cavill, Affleck)

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I realize they are registering the stuff, but I really doubt they will go with Man Of Steel before the colan.
In fact, I don't think they'll use a colan at all.
I would think not. Gene Colan died two years ago.
Spoiler:
And he worked over at Marvel Comics so it'd be kinda awkward.
Old 11-21-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
re: Untitled Superman & Batman Film (May 6, 2016) (D: Snyder; S: Cavill, Affleck)

yeah...still can't seem to get a hang on that whole spelling thing.
Old 11-21-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The trailer would probably have a really gravely narration that proclaims "Ben Affleck and Henry Cavil are... WORLD'S FINEST!"
I was gonna post about how proud I was that none of you guys suggested "World's Finest" but I had to keep scrolling.

I get it: it's the name of the old Batman/Superman teamup comics. It's still a fucking terrible title. It's something you expect to be written on your grandpa's bag of Werther's Original candy.

If I had one trip in a time machine I wouldn't waste it getting winning lottery numbers or killing Hitler as a child. I'd go back in time and tell DC comics that "World's Finest" is dated and cheesy and sucks a big bag of dicks as a title. And then I'd tell Werther's Originals to go nuts on it.
Old 11-21-13, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I realize they are registering the stuff, but I really doubt they will go with Man Of Steel before the colon.
In fact, I don't think they'll use a colon at all.
No, no ... They'll have to use the colon. I'm pretty sure shit has to pass through the colon ...
Old 11-21-13, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Old 11-21-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Well, that's... That's more low tech than I imagined.

But the emblem has a nice design.
Old 11-21-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I was gonna post about how proud I was that none of you guys suggested "World's Finest" but I had to keep scrolling.

I get it: it's the name of the old Batman/Superman teamup comics. It's still a fucking terrible title. It's something you expect to be written on your grandpa's bag of Werther's Original candy.

If I had one trip in a time machine I wouldn't waste it getting winning lottery numbers or killing Hitler as a child. I'd go back in time and tell DC comics that "World's Finest" is dated and cheesy and sucks a big bag of dicks as a title. And then I'd tell Werther's Originals to go nuts on it.
It isn't that bad of a title. It's easily better than any of the domain names they've registered. World's Finest is a bit generic sounding but it's simple and to the point, especially if you add the subtitle Batman and Superman or Batman vs. Superman.
Old 11-21-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

As a movie title, it's cheesy as hell, would look terrible on a movie poster or a BluRay spine, and worse than any of the 8 domain names.
Old 11-21-13, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
As a movie title, it's cheesy as hell, would look terrible on a movie poster or a BluRay spine, and worse than any of the 8 domain names.
Not really. I don't see why it has to have some catchy name for it to be a good title. The Marvel films are all pretty simply titled just as what they are and they all work fine. Those eight registered titles are generic as hell and half of them sound like they could belong to any movie and not specifically a Batman and Superman film and the other half just sound like they're trying too hard to come up with something catchy.
Old 11-21-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Well, that's... That's more low tech than I imagined.

But the emblem has a nice design.
And still better than BatNipples.
Old 11-21-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't have to be that catchy but it's definitely not going to be something as lame as World's Finest. That would turn off so many non-comic fans. People are going to line up to see any new Batman movie but the mainstream crowds would definitely be ripping into that title, so it's never going to happen.
Old 11-21-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And still better than BatNipples.
And now I'm okay with the new costume.
Old 11-21-13, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I know that isn't what Batman will actually look like in the movie, but that reminds me of Superman as he first appeared in the New 52 with t-shirt and jeans.

Old 11-21-13, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe the plot revolves around Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent running competing businesses dedicated to rural/farmer apparel.
Old 11-22-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like " World's Finest". Have a sense of history, dorks.
Old 11-22-13, 07:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Have a sense of history, dorks.
Tell that to DC...

They're the ones that rebooted their entire comic line with the New 52. Nothing from before the New 52 matters to them anymore and is no longer part of continuity.

Personally I favor just a simple Superman/Batman title. World's Finest is vague to non-comic readers and they would not know it even stars Superman and Batman. Plus, the World's Finest comic hasn't been about Superman and Batman since COIE in 1986 (DC's first reboot). The modern World's Finest comic stars Power Girl and Huntress. The Superman and Batman team-up comic is titled just simply Superman/Batman.
Old 11-22-13, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer
Tell that to DC...

They're the ones that rebooted their entire comic line with the New 52. Nothing from before the New 52 matters to them anymore and is no longer part of continuity.
Oh please. Did you lose this much shit after COIE? Or with Marvel Now? Comics reboot shit every couple of decades. It's not exactly news.
Old 11-22-13, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Oh please. Did you lose this much shit after COIE? Or with Marvel Now? Comics reboot shit every couple of decades. It's not exactly news.
If I'm remembering his posts right, Taffter was about seven when Crisis happened. I don't think Marvel now upset anyone because it was just new creative teams and status quos, not a jettisoning of history. So I'm betting neither bothered him.
Old 11-22-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah but there have been plenty of DC reboots between Crisis and New 52. DC jettisoning continuity is nothing new as it's a fairly regular thing with them.
Old 11-22-13, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If I'm remembering his posts right, Taffter was about seven when Crisis happened. I don't think Marvel now upset anyone because it was just new creative teams and status quos, not a jettisoning of history. So I'm betting neither bothered him.
Yeah, I was 7 years old in 1986 when COIE happened. I didn't start reading comics until 1988 though. I grew up with post-COIE comics, so COIE never bothered me.

I have also mentioned in several threads that I quit reading Marvel completely in the mid 90s. So I couldn't care less about Marvel Now or anything else Marvel Comics does anymore. I love the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I have never had any desire whatsoever to get back into Marvel Comics. Marvel has never rebooted like DC has anyway. Marvel uses a "sliding timescale" that makes all previous continuity still work, so all those stories written in the 1960s are still in continuity.

I don't know why Dragon Tattoo thought my post was anti-New 52. It certainly wasn't my intention. I don't mind the New 52 at all. The only thing I don't like is how sloppily it was planned. DC didn't have any really clear plan as to what they were doing, which is clearly evident from writers contradicting each other. I'm not totally against the New 52, or reboots in general, if they are planned well which the New 52 wasn't. There are some good comics in the New 52 and some bad, and its like that with every era.

Yeah but there have been plenty of DC reboots between Crisis and New 52. DC jettisoning continuity is nothing new as it's a fairly regular thing with them.
Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis weren't reboots.

The only hard reboots DC has done were COIE in 1986 and the New 52 in 2011. Those two were hard resets that threw out all the previous continuity completely.

Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis attempted to clean up continuity rather than throwing it all out like yesterday's garbage. Previous continuity still mattered and was still part of the continuity, unlike say Frank Miller's Batman Year One which is no longer part of Batman's continuity in the New 52.
Old 11-22-13, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man of Steel: Blackest Night is interesting because in the comic it features Solomon Grundy and zombies are popular right now so I wouldn't put it past Snyder to exploit that.
Old 11-22-13, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Man of Steel: Blackest Night is interesting because in the comic it features Solomon Grundy and zombies are popular right now so I wouldn't put it past Snyder to exploit that.
So Batman and Superman meet and join forces to stop a zombie apocalypse?

I know the Black Lanterns are a bit more than that, but the whole Blackest Night storyarc would require Green Lantern and a bit more backstory for the audience to really get it. Its not something that would work in one movie. It would require at least a trilogy: Green Lantern as the first movie, Sinestro Corps War as the second, and Blackest Night as the third.
Old 11-22-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't have to be a direct adaption. The Dark Knight Rises takes obvious influence from Knightfall, No Man's Land, and The Dark Knight Returns but it cut a lot of material from each and used major elements to form its own story. Same with The Dark Knight and The Long Halloween.
Old 11-22-13, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It doesn't have to be a direct adaption. The Dark Knight Rises takes obvious influence from Knightfall, No Man's Land, and The Dark Knight Returns but it cut a lot of material from each and used major elements to form its own story. Same with The Dark Knight and The Long Halloween.
I know it doesn't have to be a direct adaptation.

But if you are going to do any story based on Blackest Night at all, you have to have Green Lantern and also the multi-color Lantern Corps backstory explained.

Otherwise its just a generic zombie story. The idea of Batman and Superman joining forces to stop a generic zombie apocalypse is a silly idea at best. Let's guest-star the cast of The Walking Dead too while we're at it! Carl can be Robin!
Old 11-22-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
I know it doesn't have to be a direct adaptation.

But if you are going to do any story based on Blackest Night at all, you have to have Green Lantern and also the multi-color Lantern Corps backstory explained.

Otherwise its just a generic zombie story. The idea of Batman and Superman joining forces to stop a generic zombie apocalypse is a silly idea at best. Let's guest-star the cast of The Walking Dead too while we're at it! Carl can be Robin!
I don't know anything about that comic, so I'm not sure which elements are essential or not. I do like how Nolan and Goyer handled the Dark Knight franchise by using some of the best elements of graphic novels, but also making the films their own. It made the films feel unique instead of a simple adaptation, but also felt true to Batman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.