Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: Untitled Superman & Batman Film (May 6, 2016) (D: Snyder; S: Cavill, Affleck)

Originally Posted by RocShemp
From what I've read, in all versions of the script (even the early draft where Zod and Faora were married and Clark Kent was already working at the Daily Planet by the time the story began), Zod was merely banished to the Phantom Zone. The neck break was dreamed up by Goyer and Snyder well into actual production.

Also, there are shots of Nolan on set. So it seems he was there for some of the day-to-day.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-08-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Untitled Superman & Batman Film (May 6, 2016) (D: Snyder; S: Cavill, Affleck)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It would be a shame if the sequel tarnished the greatness established in Man of Steel.

Snyder is the thinking man's Michael Bay. Without so much of the thinking.
Old 01-09-14, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Meh Snyder gets way more hate than he actually deserves if you ask me. He's made quite a few decent films and I enjoyed his take on Watchmen quite a bit and thought Man of Steel was really strong (not perfect but still a good fresh start for the character). It seems like a lot of people who didn't like Man of Steel are fans living in the past who can't get over the Reeve films or want the character to be the classic boyscout Superman who's stuck in the past rather than a more modernized version of the character like we got with Snyder's film.
Old 01-09-14, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It seems like a lot of people who didn't like Man of Steel are fans living in the past who can't get over the Reeve films or want the character to be the classic boyscout Superman who's stuck in the past rather than a more modernized version of the character like we got with Snyder's film.
I think it might have had something to do with how inherently stupid much of the movie is, how incoherently it's themes are handled, and how generally angry and mean spirited so much of it seems.
In another movie, with another character that last bit might be slightly more palatable - but that still wouldn't excuse the voluminous amount of narrative idiocy that goes on.
Old 01-09-14, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
From http://www.batman-on-film.com/BOF-Mailbag_1-1-14.html

Spoiler:
“Is Lex Luthor in BvS? Who is the other 'Superman villain' you've been hinting at?”
JETT SAYS: Yes. And sorry, I'm not at liberty to reveal the ID of the other villain at this time...but the character is highly rumored to be in the film.

“Is Jason Momoa Martian Manhunter in BvS? Or maybe Aquaman?”

JETT SAYS: Nope and nope. Neither of those characters are in this film.

“How big of a role do you think Wonder Woman will be in BvS?”

JETT SAYS: Personally, I’d say it’ll be about on par with Scarlett Johansson’s first appearance as Black Widow in IRON MAN 2. I believe that it’s a cameo-plus type of role that will (hopefully) serve as a springboard to a solo Wonder Woman movie.

With all that said, I’d bet a year’s pay – in MONOPOLY money, of course – that the “Amazons” of this cinematic DCU will be descendants of those “ancient Kryptonians” who attempted to set up Kryptonian outposts throughout spacedom thousands and thousands of years ago. Furthermore, I say that Wonder Woman will be powered-down, if you will, relative to Superman because these Amazons have evolved and adapted to living on Earth for hundreds of centuries. And since Kryptonians are produced without any “He’n and She’n” – Jor El and Lara excluded – couldn’t this original Kryptonian on Earth have used this reproductive science to create an all-female race? I say yes!

“When are we going to get a look at Ben Affleck in costume as Batman?”

JETT SAYS: Well, it’s now 2014 and principle photography will commence here shortly. I suspect Warner Bros. will release a publicity still of Batfleck right about the time filming begins to lessen the blow of bootleg set spy-pics. In other words…REALLY SOON!

“Bill, do you think BvS is too crowded? Could it collapse under its own weight?”

JETT SAYS: I’ve learned not to assume a film is “crowded” based on the number of characters included. Was THE DARK KNIGHT or THE DARK KNIGHT RISES too crowded? I’ve been told that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN – or whatever it ends up being titled – is truly a Superman film. The film’s bad guys are Superman villains and Henry Cavill’s Man of Steel/Clark Kent is the main character. Of course, Batfleck will play a major role in the movie; but I suspect that one of the main reasons for Batman’s inclusion is to establish a new “DCU on Film Batman” and set up future solo Bat-flicks. Same goes for Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman – though I think her role is much smaller than BA’s Batman.

“Jett, are we being misled about this film? Is BvS really a Justice League movie?”

JETT SAYS: Based on all my intel…NOPE. It’s a Superman film – a Superman film that just so happens to include Batman and Wonder Woman – but a Superman film nonetheless.

“How do you feel about TV’s ARROW being included into the continuity of BvS and the DC Cinematic Universe?”

JETT SAYS: I don’t think that is happening and the possibility is nothing more than conjecture and/or wishful thinking.

“Do you think that Superman will ever get a proper sequel now that Warner Bros. has hijacked the series simply to set up a Justice League film?”

JETT SAYS: Well, as I said, BvS is first and foremost a Superman film. However, I totally get where you are coming from. To answer your question, yes, I believe that we’ll see a Superman film in the near future that doesn’t include any on DC superheroes.

“Bill, do you think Ben Affleck will take over the solo Batman film franchise after BvS?”

JETT SAYS: Yes (and my fingers and toes are crossed).

“Are any Bat-villains being included in BvS?”

JETT SAYS” From what I’ve been told, the answer to that question is NO.

“Do you think the title (of BvS) could end up being ‘MAN OF STEEL: SOME KIND OF SUBTITLE’?”

JETT SAYS: I think there’s a very strong chance of that happening – mainly to tell people, “Hey this is a Superman film!”
We've GOT to find a different acronym that "BvS" - Every time I read that, I think "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"
Old 01-09-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like a lot of people who didn't like Man of Steel are fans living in the past who can't get over the Reeve films or want the character to be the classic boyscout Superman who's stuck in the past rather than a more modernized version of the character like we got with Snyder's film.
Not this shit again.
Old 01-09-14, 08:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Meh Snyder gets way more hate than he actually deserves if you ask me. He's made quite a few decent films and I enjoyed his take on Watchmen quite a bit and thought Man of Steel was really strong (not perfect but still a good fresh start for the character). It seems like a lot of people who didn't like Man of Steel are fans living in the past who can't get over the Reeve films or want the character to be the classic boyscout Superman who's stuck in the past rather than a more modernized version of the character like we got with Snyder's film.
Agreed. I don't get the hate for Snyder. He's more than competent as an action director.
Old 01-09-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Good action to me is about more than just good shot composition, lighting, maintaining a sense of geography, and the pacing (of the action sequence)- though I realize all of those ARE important and I agree that Synder shows a facility in all those areas.

But to be truly effective (again, for me) action needs a proper context. I don't want to be distracted by issues of a characters behavior or motivations that seem false for the sole purpose of getting us to that action set-piece- or a plot machination that seems clunky and foolish and calls attention to itself for the same purpose.
Old 01-09-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Thank you!
Old 01-09-14, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We need better script writers. Snyder did fine. But he's also his worst enemy in story. The guy thinks too much visual and not enough for emotion and logic for narrative.

It has a lot freshness going got it but then it's halfassed as well. For every good idea he gets, he fucks up the resolution of it.
Old 01-09-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I think it might have had something to do with how inherently stupid much of the movie is, how incoherently it's themes are handled, and how generally angry and mean spirited so much of it seems.
In another movie, with another character that last bit might be slightly more palatable - but that still wouldn't excuse the voluminous amount of narrative idiocy that goes on.
Like I said I didn't think it was a perfect film and Snyder could definitely hone his directorial skills a bit better, but overall the movie was decent. I will agree that one of Snyder's flaws is that he's more of a visual director and emphasizes action and cool shots which sometimes muddle the story. I overall didn't hate the story but yeah it could probably have been a bit better or told better by a director who's not so much about visuals or action sequences.

I guess I didn't really get the angriness or mean spirited vibe that you did. Kal seemed to be finding his place and conflicted about what role he should take on. That isn't angry or mean spirited just an outsider to our world trying to come to terms with what his role is. I think for the first time to me Kal/Clark felt more human in this film. He has flaws and doesn't know what to do but tries his best to do the right thing even though doing so cost him the only ties to his home world and he was put in a spot where he felt killing Zod was the only option he had. Zod and company were angry but they're the villains so that's their role.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-09-14 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I have the impression that after producing Man of Steel, Nolan hasn't been involved directly. I wonder what Timm is doing these days, he left Warner Animation. It's amazing just how good the DCAU is, it really is.
Bruce Timm has been heavily rumored to be preparing...the next Justice League cartoon series. This will feature the New 52 lineup, not the classic JLA.

Snyder is not a director as bad as Bay. His movies have a little more substance than the typical music videos directed by Bay. Aside from one or two critical changes to Superman's character, I wasn't upset by Man of Steel, speaking as someone that reveres the Donner movies. The action in it worked a lot better than the stuff we saw in Superman Returns.
Old 01-09-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
From http://www.batman-on-film.com/BOF-Mailbag_1-1-14.html

Spoiler:
“Is Lex Luthor in BvS? Who is the other 'Superman villain' you've been hinting at?”
JETT SAYS: Yes. And sorry, I'm not at liberty to reveal the ID of the other villain at this time...but the character is highly rumored to be in the film.

“Is Jason Momoa Martian Manhunter in BvS? Or maybe Aquaman?”

JETT SAYS: Nope and nope. Neither of those characters are in this film.

“How big of a role do you think Wonder Woman will be in BvS?”

JETT SAYS: Personally, I’d say it’ll be about on par with Scarlett Johansson’s first appearance as Black Widow in IRON MAN 2. I believe that it’s a cameo-plus type of role that will (hopefully) serve as a springboard to a solo Wonder Woman movie.

With all that said, I’d bet a year’s pay – in MONOPOLY money, of course – that the “Amazons” of this cinematic DCU will be descendants of those “ancient Kryptonians” who attempted to set up Kryptonian outposts throughout spacedom thousands and thousands of years ago. Furthermore, I say that Wonder Woman will be powered-down, if you will, relative to Superman because these Amazons have evolved and adapted to living on Earth for hundreds of centuries. And since Kryptonians are produced without any “He’n and She’n” – Jor El and Lara excluded – couldn’t this original Kryptonian on Earth have used this reproductive science to create an all-female race? I say yes!

“When are we going to get a look at Ben Affleck in costume as Batman?”

JETT SAYS: Well, it’s now 2014 and principle photography will commence here shortly. I suspect Warner Bros. will release a publicity still of Batfleck right about the time filming begins to lessen the blow of bootleg set spy-pics. In other words…REALLY SOON!

“Bill, do you think BvS is too crowded? Could it collapse under its own weight?”

JETT SAYS: I’ve learned not to assume a film is “crowded” based on the number of characters included. Was THE DARK KNIGHT or THE DARK KNIGHT RISES too crowded? I’ve been told that BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN – or whatever it ends up being titled – is truly a Superman film. The film’s bad guys are Superman villains and Henry Cavill’s Man of Steel/Clark Kent is the main character. Of course, Batfleck will play a major role in the movie; but I suspect that one of the main reasons for Batman’s inclusion is to establish a new “DCU on Film Batman” and set up future solo Bat-flicks. Same goes for Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman – though I think her role is much smaller than BA’s Batman.

“Jett, are we being misled about this film? Is BvS really a Justice League movie?”

JETT SAYS: Based on all my intel…NOPE. It’s a Superman film – a Superman film that just so happens to include Batman and Wonder Woman – but a Superman film nonetheless.

“How do you feel about TV’s ARROW being included into the continuity of BvS and the DC Cinematic Universe?”

JETT SAYS: I don’t think that is happening and the possibility is nothing more than conjecture and/or wishful thinking.

“Do you think that Superman will ever get a proper sequel now that Warner Bros. has hijacked the series simply to set up a Justice League film?”

JETT SAYS: Well, as I said, BvS is first and foremost a Superman film. However, I totally get where you are coming from. To answer your question, yes, I believe that we’ll see a Superman film in the near future that doesn’t include any on DC superheroes.

“Bill, do you think Ben Affleck will take over the solo Batman film franchise after BvS?”

JETT SAYS: Yes (and my fingers and toes are crossed).

“Are any Bat-villains being included in BvS?”

JETT SAYS” From what I’ve been told, the answer to that question is NO.

“Do you think the title (of BvS) could end up being ‘MAN OF STEEL: SOME KIND OF SUBTITLE’?”

JETT SAYS: I think there’s a very strong chance of that happening – mainly to tell people, “Hey this is a Superman film!”
Oh for fucks sakes why is he back in this? Why , every Superman movie apart from III and the last one didn't have him, every other one had him. It is kind of depressing they just gotta keep wheeling him back in. Fuck him seriously, even the Batman flicks have never gone to repeated a villain over twice, and say what you will about those pavement footsmeared Shumacker shits atleast they thought up new villains however stupid they were.
Toyman, or ANY of the badguys on Superfriends apart from him. Jeezas... i mean they are so against giving him new villains ... for a stretch they just gave him Batman to fight . lol.
Old 01-09-14, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
Oh for fucks sakes why is he back in this? Why , every Superman movie apart from III and the last one didn't have him, every other one had him. It is kind of depressing they just gotta keep wheeling him back in.
Because he's Superman's arch-nemesis. Frankly, I'm surprised you're surprised. It's been rumored for quite a while he'd be in it (esp considering there's an easter egg of sorts with Luthor Corp building seen in MOS).
Old 01-09-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Man of Steel 2: Not This Shit Again.
Is that the official title?
Old 01-09-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait isn't Joker the arch-nemesis of Batman? Why isn't he in every movie then.

Also i think Affleck is going to be great as Batman, somehow he will surprise others.
Old 01-09-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Batman has a much better rogues gallery than Superman. Or almost anyone else.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-09-14 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-09-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Lex is a prominent character in Metropolis regardless of being in Superman's "rogue gallery", so he's always going to be around.
Old 01-10-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't mind Lex, even though I was extremely glad he wasn't in the first movie. I just like him being a behind the scenes guy and free from the terrible schemes he had in the previous movies.
Old 01-10-14, 07:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, i don't really follow pre movie release threads, i like to be surprised when i watch a movie, not know every character and storyline But just want to ask

Why is Affleck Batman and not Christian bale?
Old 01-10-14, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Pardon my ignorance, i don't really follow pre movie release threads, i like to be surprised when i watch a movie, not know every character and storyline But just want to ask

Why is Affleck Batman and not Christian bale?
Becuase this is not connected to the Nolan films. Also, Bale doesn't want to play Batman without Nolan at the helm.
Old 01-10-14, 07:16 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Bale and Nolan are done with the franchise.
Old 01-10-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Did they even think about approaching Adam West?

As for the "Lex Luthor again" complaints, I've always viewed him as equal parts nemesis and supporting character. That's how he was used in Superman The Animated Series, which is probably the best template they could use for the character.
Old 01-10-14, 08:17 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think not having Bale is a huge minus for this movie. Affleck is gonna have to really prove himself

The Dark Knight series of movies really are the definitive depiction of Batman on the big screen, people are gonna spend most of this movie thinking they are getting 'Batman lite'.
Old 01-10-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
The Dark Knight series of movies really are the definitive depiction of Batman on the big screen, people are gonna spend most of this movie thinking they are getting 'Batman lite'.
I'm wondering how much Batman will actually be in this movie - I wouldn't be shocked if its less than half the final running time. Considering Batman isn't even in much of his solo-films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.