Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (D: Snyder; S: Gadot)

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Other than Eisenberg, this was an impressive trailer. It remains to be seen how good the actual movie will be. I am cautiously optimistic.
Yeah Eisenberg hasn't sold me since day one and if this trailer was supposed to do so it did a poor job. Easily the worst part of an otherwise strong trailer and feels very miscast to me.
Old 07-11-15, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure why someone thought that line of his at the end was smart to put in there. In or out of context of the scene... it's hokey.
Old 07-11-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that line is terrible. So corny and eye roll inducing. Also I know he's wearing a wig but I can't take him seriously with that goofy hair.
Old 07-11-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I honestly don't know why people get so upset over the Wayne deaths being shown. I get that it's been done but I'm sure it'll be quick flashbacks since the film isn't an origin story. Really the only film that played it up a lot was Batman Begins but that was an origin film.
Because it's unnecessary. No time at all needs to be dedicated to seeing the Waynes die. The audience does not need to see it again. It's dumb as shit. I was actually more interested in the "origin" shots as the buildings collapsed.
Old 07-11-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My favorite shot of the trailer:

Spoiler:

Old 07-11-15, 08:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Because it's unnecessary. No time at all needs to be dedicated to seeing the Waynes die. The audience does not need to see it again. It's dumb as shit. I was actually more interested in the "origin" shots as the buildings collapsed.
We don't actually know yet that it's unnecessary. Someone earlier mentioned they maybe they will put a twist on it to make it important to the story. Like how Tim Burton had Joker kill the Waynes with the "have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" revelation which was important to Burton's particular story. Maybe there will be a similar twist in this movie.
Old 07-11-15, 09:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
My favorite shot of the trailer:

Spoiler:

As nice as that looks, that's my big fear. Like Watchman, Snyder really wants to match the visuals from where it was borrowed from. Didn't make for a captivating translation from the graphic novels. This could feel as hollow as what happened with Watchman.
Old 07-11-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I actually didn't like that shot for much of the same reason, seems too postured. But it's just a shot.
Old 07-11-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Trailer is badass. Not sold on Eisenberg, but hard to judge from this footage. I'm still not on board with Amy Adams as Lois.

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
If anyone cares to go back to the MOS thread, well in advance of the movie coming out, I posited these exact same thoughts.
I have absolutely no problem with this conceptually. The vast majority of the worlds population ABSOLUTELY would have a problem if a character like this existed and would definitely fear and demonize him. There are some amazingly broad and interesting dimensions to explore with that premise.

The problem I have is that Superman was no longer allowed to be simply good and earnest and...gentle (for lack of a better word). You could have easily had a realistic reaction to him in addition to him being a supernaturally decent and caring/concerned figure (the kind that stops to get a cat out of a tree for a little girl ,for example). In fact, setting him up like that creates a much more vivid contrast to the way much of society would likely see him that it strengthens the character in my mind, not makes him look silly, cheesy, and weak.

The only reason to cheer this guy on now, after the way we've seen him conduct himself in MOS, is due to assumed empathy. We know he is the hero because of 80+ years of corporate branding. But what we see is mostly just a character acting in his own best self interest (which extends to valuing the life and welfare of Lois and his mother over thousands of other people).
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
This. Man of Steel was a more "realistic" portrayal of what would happen if it was revealed that aliens had come to Earth. It's not the Silver Age goofiness where everyone just blindly accepts an alien. Realistically everyone would be shitting their pants to know that aliens are real. Realistically Ma and Pa Kent would want Clark to hide his secret as long as possible. People would not just blindly accept him in the real world.
The conflict between the two characters is well earned from the events of MOS.
The big problem for me is, I have no sympathy towards Superman here. All sympathy is firmly with Bruce and Batman. He deserves to prevail because according to what went down in MOS, Superman is a colossal threat to humanity...even if he doesn't intend to be.

Hell of a way to ground the "hopeful beacon of the DCU.
It's almost like Snyder might know what he's doing.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
It's just pointless to do so. Begins actually have a better reason for it than most others cuz it was an origin thing. But pretty much everybody knows what motivated Bats became Bats.
Exactly. All the audience needs to know is that Batman is out there protecting Gotham. What happened to the Waynes is a non-factor, unless as mentioned it ties into another character or maybe Suicide Squad, etc. Now that there is a DCU it may not have a payoff until a later film.

That being said, I don't think there is any tie in. Just a matter of a new Batman, gotta show it again for whatever reason.
Old 07-11-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

So the government is backing Batman to capture Superman or something?
Old 07-11-15, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ranger
So the government is backing Batman to capture Superman or something?
Luthor possibly might be, but I got the impression that Batman isn't really trusted either. A voiceover about one minute into the trailer talks about Batman's vigilantism and calls it a reign of terror. It also shows some shirtless guy with a Bat-symbol carved into his skin. I get the impression that this Batman is especially brutal.
Old 07-11-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Think the government hate both
Old 07-11-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

We don't actually know yet that it's unnecessary. Someone earlier mentioned they maybe they will put a twist on it to make it important to the story. Like how Tim Burton had Joker kill the Waynes with the "have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" revelation which was important to Burton's particular story. Maybe there will be a similar twist in this movie.
Burton's take was new enough to audiences to justify using it in the story. I would prefer someone trusting audiences about his origins and just skipping over it but alas, we've got to get that in there again.

I'm hoping that Marvel handles Spider-Man better and doesn't have a whole setup with him getting bitten and Uncle Ben dying but it's a faint hope. Audiences are not as stupid as executives think.
Old 07-11-15, 10:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, that's probably true, but he's wearing a gun holster? I guess this is the MI6 version?

Looks like a satchel.
Old 07-11-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
We've only actually seen the origin with Thomas and Martha being gunned down twice out of eight Batman films and really the origin is only shown fully in one film. Burton very briefly showed parts of it in flashbacks in Batman and in Batman Begins where it was a much more focal point of the film. Their funeral was touched on in Batman Forever but other than the two films mentioned it hasn't been shown. I'm betting what's going to be seen in this film will be more like how Burton handled it.
Old 07-11-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It was also shown in Gotham.
Old 07-11-15, 10:49 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For those unfamiliar with Batman's origins:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jtpxEmInvfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-11-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It was also shown in Gotham.
I was talking film only though.
Old 07-11-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks Groucho. I was having a hard time recalling exactly how it went down.

I skipped the Garfield Spider-man movies so hopefully Marvel can refresh my memory on him as well.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I was talking film only though.
But that's not the only medium the general public is familiar with Batman.
Old 07-11-15, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying its necessary to show just pointing out it hasn't been used as much as some are making it out to have been. TV shows are a different medium and I imagine more people are familiar with the origin from the films because they reach a wider audience. Especially a lot of those animated shows and films. Plus I'm guessing there's a reason for it being there.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-11-15 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Avengers was the same way. The characters had no prior history together before their first team-up in the first Avengers movie. Yet the very first time they come together, they end up clashing. Thor comes to Earth to get Loki, and suddenly Thor is fighting Iron Man and Captain America for no real reason other than because it looks cool on screen. Then a few minutes later they calm down and become friends. But people didn't nitpick that like they are nitpicking BvS.
Your comments make it apparent that you never really saw Avengers, because what you just wrote has no relation to the film at all.
Old 07-11-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Eisenberg sucked. He doesn't know how to sell an intentionally cheesy line like "here come the red capes". Guys like Jon Hamm and Billy Zane know how to sell lines like that.

But other than Eisenberg sucking in every clip of him in that trailer (and my now really liking the brief glimpses of Wonder Woman in action), I really dug that trailer overall. I am definitely still looking forward to this one.
Old 07-11-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

The conflict between the two characters is well earned from the events of MOS.
The big problem for me is, I have no sympathy towards Superman here. All sympathy is firmly with Bruce and Batman. He deserves to prevail because according to what went down in MOS, Superman is a colossal threat to humanity...even if he doesn't intend to be.

Hell of a way to ground the "hope"ful beacon of the DC U.
Wow ... I couldn't be further away from you if I were from Krypton.

There is no conflict between these characters from MoS. This is a retcon worthy of the Planet of the Apes circa the 1960s.

Sympathy for Bruce!? Really? "I see something I am afraid of, so it is my duty to kill it!" Sounds like an 8-year old discovering insects for the first time. This is a fitting reaction given our societal views today, and it is a great premise for this film, but it certainly does not induce any sympathy for Bruce Wayne (at least in me). Bruce Wayne is acting the way I would expect Lex Luthor to act. "I can be a colossal threat, but nobody else can be."
Old 07-11-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Except that the vibe I got from the trailer is that Bruce retired after
Spoiler:
the Joker killed Dick Grayson.
So it seems that it's not how you spin it, Abob Teff (that Batman can be a threat but Superman has no right) but rather that he fears that Superman is enough of a threat to force Bruce out of retirement. Heck, I bet the reason we'll revisit the origin is a means to contrast why Bruce became Batman versus why he retired. And in turn present Bruce's rationalization for ending his self imposed retirement.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-11-15 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 11:31 PM
Banned

Rocshemp, you might want to spoiler tag that first sentence. I personally don't care, but I'm sure someone will complain you spoiled it for them even though it's just a rumor.

I also got the impression that Bruce retired the cowl after
Spoiler:
Robin died. In the trailer, it looks like Joker left a note saying Batman got his family killed. There are also rumors that Jim Gordon was killed, and who knows, Barbara may be paralyzed too. All that happening could easily lead to Bruce giving up the cowl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.