Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gone Girl (2014) (D: Fincher; S: Affleck, Pike, Perry, Harris, Dickens)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-11-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of Ben Affleck the actor, but I'm always interested in anything Fincher does.

Following the flop of "The Lone Ranger," we here at The Playlist have been discussing what this means for future projects on Disney's slate, and more specifically, David Fincher's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea." As you might remember, Fincher's pal Brad Pitt passed on the lead role, and the other actors the director is looking at the for the part (Channing Tatum among them) aren't available until next year. But following the twin disasters of 'Ranger' and "John Carter," is Disney really going to flip the switch on this project, especially with a director who demands as much financial freedom and creative control as Fincher? Or is it another ambitious concept that's a dicey prospect for a four-quadrant hit? We're sure those discussions will be ongoing at Disney (who are yet to greenlight it) but until then, Fincher is moving on his next feature.

First announced back in January, Fincher is directing an adaptation of the critically acclaimed best-selling novel "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn, and has selected Ben Affleck for the lead role. Hot damn. The thriller tells the tale of a woman who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary, with all the evidence pointing to her husband Nick, the latter role which Affleck will take. In the novel, he's a 34-year-old reasonably successful magazine journalist who moves back home to Carthage, Missouri, to open a bar with his sister after falling into financial hardship following the recession. As we noted, the role requires someone who can play things close to his chest without giving away whether Nick is a stone-cold killer or an innocent caught up in someone else's machinations. But all told, Affleck is a pretty fine choice....

...and an interesting one. It appears he's jumping at the chance to work with Fincher, even if it means crowding his own calendar, as he's also due to direct "Live By Night" for Warner Bros., and he's still aiming to deliver it for a 2014 release. And with "Gone Girl" shooting this fall, he'll be working on a tightrope. Thoughts? Let us know. And you can see the rest of our choices for the cast in We Read It: Casting David Fincher's Potential Next Movie 'Gone Girl.'

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...medium=twitter

Last edited by dex14; 09-20-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: David Fincher- Gone Girl

Really have liked all of Flynn's books but this is her big breakthrough work. Not sure if anything is official yet, but I've read that both Reese Witherspoon and Charlize Theron were attached as Amy, but I can't really see Witherspoon being able to pull off the role like Theron could.
Old 07-13-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Affleck's shown he can be a decent actor in the right roles, so I'm confident in him working with Fincher.
Old 07-13-13, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fincher? Sold.
Old 07-15-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Fincher? Sold.
My thoughts as well.
Old 07-15-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

For a minute there, after reading the thread title, I thought that Fincher might have gone the way of Larry Wachowski.
Old 07-15-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I understand Tatum is the "it" guy at the moment, but why on Earth would David Fincher be considering him for the lead in 20,000? I could see if someone like Brett Ratner was directing it. He'd be recruiting the usual suspects. But Tatum in a Fincher film doesn't make any sense to me. He'd have to do about 150 takes for every scene.

Also, I like Affleck as an actor. He was solid in Changing Lanes. I think Fincher will get the very best out of him.
Old 08-11-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like rosamund pike is set to play Amy
Old 08-12-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really disliked the last half of this book - it just screams tv movie of the week minus the annoying and excessive cursing.
Old 08-12-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
I really disliked the last half of this book - it just screams tv movie of the week minus the annoying and excessive cursing.
Yes, this book is seriously over-rated. I saw the mid-book "twist" coming from page 1, and after that, it was one unbelievably over-the-top scenario after another, followed by a non-ending that was just as implausible as everything that came before. I will admit it was never dull, but I lost count of how many times I mentally rolled my eyes.
Old 08-12-13, 05:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I understand Tatum is the "it" guy at the moment, but why on Earth would David Fincher be considering him for the lead in 20,000? I could see if someone like Brett Ratner was directing it. He'd be recruiting the usual suspects. But Tatum in a Fincher film doesn't make any sense to me. He'd have to do about 150 takes for every scene.

Also, I like Affleck as an actor. He was solid in Changing Lanes. I think Fincher will get the very best out of him.
I thought he was very good in Magic Mike.
Old 08-12-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Looks like rosamund pike is set to play Amy
I don't find Rosamund Pike to be a particularly good actress but my penis loves her so I'm ok with this casting choice.
Old 08-13-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Yes, this book is seriously over-rated. I saw the mid-book "twist" coming from page 1, and after that, it was one unbelievably over-the-top scenario after another, followed by a non-ending that was just as implausible as everything that came before. I will admit it was never dull, but I lost count of how many times I mentally rolled my eyes.
Exactly. Look no further than the
Spoiler:
subplot of the wife at the motel after we find out she faked her death
and you will see a just-below-average book.

I'd seriously laugh out loud if that part is kept in the film. That's some junior high creative writing if ever I saw (read) it. That's how telegraphed it was!
Old 09-05-13, 01:17 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: 20th Century Fox and director David Fincher are firming up Gone Girl, the Gillian Flynn novel that will star Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike and shoots this fall. Fincher has set Tyler Perry to play Tanner Bolt, the attorney who reps Affleck’s character after his wife disappears. At the same time, Fincher has set Kim Dickens, Patrick Fugit and Carrie Coon to round out a cast that includes previously reported Neil Patrick Harris.

Perry’s deal is now closed. Fincher saw him playing the title role in Alex Cross and courted him for the lawyer role. WME and Ziffren repped Perry, who is busy generating his shows for the OWN network and will next be seen onscreen in A Made Christmas, another in his line of Madea films.

Dickens and Fugit will play detectives who investigate the mystery in Gone Girl, while Coon will play Affleck’s character’s twin sister. Gersh reps Dickens, who stars in Treme, Fugit, who’s coming off Thanks For Sharing, and Coon (Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?). The latter is managed by New Wave Entertainment and Fugit is managed by Levin/Brown Management.
Old 09-05-13, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I want to be a fly on the wall when Tyler Perry and Carrie Coon are introduced.
Old 09-05-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I want to be a fly on the wall when Tyler Perry and Carrie Coon are introduced.
Old 09-05-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

David Fincher directing the movie adaptation of a best-selling novel? Didn't work out so well for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Haven't heard a peep about bringing the rest of that trilogy to the screen.
Old 09-05-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
David Fincher directing the movie adaptation of a best-selling novel? Didn't work out so well for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Haven't heard a peep about bringing the rest of that trilogy to the screen.
TGWTDT is at 86% on RT and grossed $232 mm worldwide. They're still writing the script for the 2nd book, I think it'll get made.
Old 09-05-13, 03:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't even give a fuck it's based on a book. It's David Fucking Fincher...that's all I need. Though it saddens me he got Perry in this. He ain't exactly all that great as an actor.
Old 09-05-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't even give a fuck it's based on a book. It's David Fucking Fincher...that's all I need. Though it saddens me he got Perry in this. He ain't exactly all that great as an actor.
pretty much this, Fincher gets a free pass.

I'll trust his judgement on Perry too.
Old 09-16-13, 01:32 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Looks like we’re going to be seeing a lot more of Emily Ratajkowski.

The model-actress, who appears nude in Robin Thicke’s controversial “Blurred Lines” music video is reportedly closing a deal to play Andie, the college-age mistress to Ben Affleck’s Nick, in David Fincher’s “Gone Girl.”

This would be the first major movie role for Ratajkowski, who has also had parts on TV’s “New Girl” and “iCarly” and has modeled lingerie for Nordstrom. She is repped by Innovative Artists and Untitled Entertainment.

The supporting cast for the film adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s popular novel also include Tyler Perry as a slick defense attorney and Carrie Coon, (of Damon Lindelof’s upcoming adaptation of Tom Perrotta’s “The Leftovers”) as Affleck’s character’s twin sister.

Old 09-16-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Her and the uh ethnic chick were smoking hot in that video, so do like.
Old 09-16-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The book is overrated? Please....
Old 09-16-13, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
I didn't care for it either. I didn't find the characters interesting enough to want to see them in a movie.
Old 09-16-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Pike is terrible in US movies but is passable in british flicks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.