DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   About Time (11/1/2013) (Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/611974-about-time-11-1-2013-rachel-mcadams-bill-nighy.html)

asianxcore 07-11-13 03:48 AM

About Time (11/1/2013) (Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy)

Directed by Richard Curtis (Love Actually/Notting Hill)

I really love this trailer and I hope the film ends up being just as good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T7A810duHvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. DVD 07-11-13 03:10 PM

Re: About Time (11/1/2013) (Rachel McAdams, Bill Nighy)

Does Rachel McAdams get paid premium to do these kind of movies? Seems like her specialty.

DonnachaOne 07-11-13 04:17 PM

Indeed. With The Time Traveler's Wife and Midnight In Paris, setting her up with a guy unstuck in time seems a weird niche.

davidh777 10-02-13 01:20 AM

I saw this tonight and really liked it. Concept was a bit out there, but I went along with it and liked where it took me. I like Love Actually, though I'm not a "have to watch it every holiday season!" type of fan, and I've seen Notting Hill multiple times. It's rated R, I assume for sexual situations, though there's no nudity.

I just watched the above trailer and have to say that it's horrendous. It gives away far too much of the movie. -ohbfrank-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ime_Poster.jpg

Solid Snake 10-02-13 09:23 AM

While the trailer is neat, it's Bill fucking Nighy that makes me want to watch this.

SuperJim88 10-02-13 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11856396)
I just watched the above trailer and have to say that it's horrendous. It gives away far too much of the movie. -ohbfrank-

Ok good, so I'm not the only one who thinks the trailers these days are basically giving the whole film away. I can probably guess what this movie is about and even how it ends just from the trailer. I try to avoid trailers now a days, but they blast these types of trailer before a movie and pretty much force you to watch it. I think these trailers do so much disservice to the box office. The way Paranoia bombed in the box office I believe can solely be credited to the trailer. They even showed the double cross in the trailer, what the fuck is that?!

rexinnih 10-02-13 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 11856639)
While the trailer is neat, it's Bill fucking Nighy that makes me want to watch this.

He is one of my favorites. Will see it for him.

bluetoast 10-02-13 02:50 PM

I've seen this trailer a bunch so far in theaters. Cracking up now at the Wikipedia page which lists a bunch of plot flaws, of course related to the rules established and subsequently broken.

EddieMoney 10-02-13 02:58 PM

That poster with the two of them in the rain is just bloody fucking awful.

davidh777 10-02-13 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11857228)
Cracking up now at the Wikipedia page which lists a bunch of plot flaws.

I read through those too. There were a number of times when I found myself saying, "Wait, how does that work if...?" But honestly, the concept is so outlandish anyway that you can spend all your time picking it apart (and maybe you want to do that if you're bored), or you can just go with it and take in the story. :shrug:

bluetoast 10-02-13 07:51 PM

Yeah I think I'll check it out anyway. But for some reason Bill Nighy looks a little old to be that dude's dad. And Rachel McAdams also seems a little old for this guy (but maybe it's because she's been rom coms for what seems like forever), but hey if it works, great.

Ted Todorov 10-03-13 10:56 PM

Saw it at the NY Film Festival - a little too sugary but still worth seeing. The trailer is just awful -- I never would have gotten a ticket for it had I put two and two together and and realized it was for the same movie that was in the NYFF schedule.

The Q&A was a total pleasure - the Curtis and Nighy were both hilarious. I often wonder how much Q&As alter my judgement of movies I have just seen -- I do probably enjoy them more at the NYFF than I would otherwise.

davidh777 10-04-13 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney (Post 11857239)
That poster with the two of them in the rain is just bloody fucking awful.

Just trying to grab fans of The Notebook, I bet.

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11857697)
Yeah I think I'll check it out anyway. But for some reason Bill Nighy looks a little old to be that dude's dad. And Rachel McAdams also seems a little old for this guy (but maybe it's because she's been rom coms for what seems like forever), but hey if it works, great.

Didn't strike me as an issue while watching. :shrug: They establish that the guy is recently out of grad school, and McAdams is... Rachel McAdams. Older than in The Notebook, but still lovely and perky.