Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
17.99%
12.95%
30.22%
15.83%
8.63%
2.16%
4.32%
0.72%
0.72%
0%
1.44%
Pacific Rimjob!
2.88%
Doesn't matter how much we liked it, Grown Ups 2 is what the masses want to see! (Dr. DVD)
2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Pacific Rim (del Toro, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I was disappointed in this, despite the large number of impressive scenes and original touches. I’m glad I saw it and I definitely recommend it to other fans of giant robot/giant monster/alien invasion movies/TV shows. But it can never be a true pop classic like THE MATRIX or TRANSFORMERS 1 & 3 because it lacks what those films have. In THE MATRIX, the Wachowskis created a world that we were able to believe in and that each of the cast members believed in and understood. In the TRANSFORMERS movies, Michael Bay added lots of humor and filled the casts (particularly #3) with people who brought prior associations to the movie. E.g. Leonard Nimoy and the three Coen Bros actors, not to mention Buzz Motherf***ing Aldrin(!), and the “McDreamy” Patrick Dempsey in a villain role.

PACIFIC RIM has no humor. There are two characters who are supposed to be funny, but they never are. Would it hurt to have hired a comedy writer to punch up their scenes? (In contrast, I found both TRANSFORMERS 1 & 3 very funny and it enhanced those movies tremendously.) Also, none of the cast members had any chemistry with each other. They didn’t always seem to be making the same movie. Del Toro didn’t adequately create a particular universe they could all believe in. Sure, on a technical level, they were all competent, but something was missing from their interactions. I’m not sure whether it was miscasting or a failure of the script or direction.

Having said that, I did enjoy a lot of original touches. That scene where they probe around the corpse of the dead Kaiju in Hong Kong was quite a surprise. I’ve never seen anything quite like that in the Godzilla movies. I also liked Mako Mori’s flashbacks to her trauma as a little girl when the Kaiju came after her in Tokyo. I thought those scenes had an emotional heft that isn’t often there in Japanese movies of this type.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-13-13 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-13-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'll take Charlie Day and Burn Gorman's comedic relief over anything Michael Bay can and will ever offer - like racist robot twins, robots with testicles, or Ken Jeong.
That's akin to saying you prefer a mild kick to the balls instead of a swift one. Bay's humor is the nadir of any of his films, so I'd expect virtually anyone can do better. That being said, Burn Gorman was killing the film for me every single time he appeared.
Old 07-13-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
What about the other unintentionally racist moments, like when
Spoiler:
the obligatory Asians and the black leader die
?
Did you know that originally
Spoiler:
Tom Cruise was considered for the role that eventually went to Idris Elba?

I was actually pissed about how the Russians and the Chinese died because we never saw all the Jaegers take on the Kaiju in a free-for-all. Instead, we mostly got 1-on-1 fights and a couple of 2-on-2 fights.

They should have had all the Jaeger go down during the final Breach offensive rather than only have two Jaeger versus three Kaiju.
Old 07-13-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the other unintentionally racist moments, like when
Spoiler:
the obligatory Asians and the black leader die
?
I didn't see the second part as racist, I saw it the other way.

Spoiler:

It's usually the big white man who saves humanity by dying, most classic example is Bruce Willis in Armageddon.
Old 07-13-13, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
But it can never be a true pop classic like THE MATRIX or TRANSFORMERS 1 & 3
What the fuck?
Old 07-13-13, 11:49 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yes on both points.
already back to the subject of Perlman's reveal, look at the timing in the performance.
Spoiler:
When he says that he had been in a public shelter once, he immediately reveals his missing eye. The implication is that said injury was the result of being in a public Kaiju shelter.

The reason Perlman's so critical of Charlie Day drifting with a Kaiju is because Charlie Day himself (amidst his spastic rambling) stated that the Kaiju share a hive mind. It's also public knowledge that a drift involves sharing your mind woth your drift subject (which is established visually every time they show Charlie Day's memories as he's drifting with the Kaiju brain). So it stands to reason that not only did he share what he knew with that particular Kaiju brain but also with all other Kaiju brains because they all share a hive mind.

Basically, Charlie Day fucked humanity by revealing all their plans to the Kaiju. However, the movie has him redeem himself by finding out exactly how the portal works (the genetic passport).
Ah, just a dumb coincidence. And I stress dumb, considering he only
Spoiler:
lost an eye
Old 07-13-13, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Raul3
I didn't see the second part as racist, I saw it the other way.

Spoiler:

It's usually the big white man who saves humanity by dying, most classic example is Bruce Willis in Armageddon.
Spoiler:
but in this movie's case, he was dying anyway; it wasn't much of a sacrifice
Old 07-13-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
but in this movie's case, he was dying anyway; it wasn't much of a sacrifice
Spoiler:
Yeah but he took that poor innocent white boy with him!
Old 07-13-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
What the fuck?
Yeah, I know.

He forgot Transformers 2

What the fuck?

I'm heading to the theater now. I will report back later tonight.
Old 07-13-13, 12:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

BTW, mouthbreathers, MOS has nothing on Pacific Rim in terms of collateral damage. FOAD.
It's all about context. In Pac Rim, they give a shit about regular people. The whole point of the program is to defend people, and they go fight the Kaiju in the oceans so they can keep them from wrecking the cities. Once they get to the city, you see that they've set up shelters to try and protect people again, so presumably the buildings being destroyed aren't full of people. In MoS, there is no regard for the everyday citizens of Metropolis.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Agree to disagree.

2001: A Space Odyssey is awesome.

Blade 2...less than awesome.
2001: A Space Odyssey is perfection. Blade 2 is just awesome.
Old 07-13-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
But it can never be a true pop classic like THE MATRIX or TRANSFORMERS 1 & 3 because it lacks what those films have. In the TRANSFORMERS movies, Michael Bay added lots of humor and filled the casts (particularly #3) with people who brought prior associations to the movie. E.g. Leonard Nimoy and the three Coen Bros actors, not to mention Buzz Motherf***ing Aldrin(!), and the “McDreamy” Patrick Dempsey
What in the world??! Go watch some more Pokemon
Old 07-13-13, 12:36 PM
Banned by request

I don't know why Ash has such a hard on for Transformers 3. Megan Fox isn't even in it!
Old 07-13-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
That's akin to saying you prefer a mild kick to the balls instead of a swift one. Bay's humor is the nadir of any of his films, so I'd expect virtually anyone can do better. That being said, Burn Gorman was killing the film for me every single time he appeared.

If you want to get specific, I think Charlie Day was the worst thing in the film. Granted, I've never seen the tv shows he's been in, but he was the weak link. The reason it doesn't really matter is due to the film being pretty badass. The baddassery neutralizes his annoying character. This can never be done in a Michael Bay flick, because those are just bad films all the way through.
Old 07-13-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Ash negates his point by saying that Transformers 1 & 3 are funny. Yet these two scientists in Pacific Rim are not?

Uh, yeah.
Old 07-13-13, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Ramin Djawadi did the score for Game of Thrones, which is one of those rare themes I cannot get out my head...

LOVED Pacific Rim. Saw it on a Marcus Ultrascreen in 3D, and it was quite an experience.

And with all the stunning visuals who would have thunk Ron Perlman would steal the show?
Ah. That theme is really catchy. I still need to fucking watch that show. From what bits and pieces that I've seen is fucking good.

And from what I've seen from Rocshemp's post... I've heard of his stuff. Just never caught his name.

Talking about the music, I really love the music they showed off with some of the Jaegers. Loved the bit that was given to Chernov. Russian stereotyping of the music but damnit if it didn't fit them.

Maybe I just enjoyed the movie so much that I forgot but was the elbow rocket bit in the film? I don't remember it.

Is this the director's cut? I'm not saying that I feel that it was butchered or whatever but I'd like to see an extended cut of this film. If he cut out an hour, I'd to see what was cut out and why.
Old 07-13-13, 12:53 PM
Banned by request

I'd pay cash monies to see a director's cut. Especially on the big screen.
Old 07-13-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Ah. That theme is really catchy. I still need to fucking watch that show. From what bits and pieces that I've seen is fucking good.

And from what I've seen from Rocshemp's post... I've heard of his stuff. Just never caught his name.

Talking about the music, I really love the music they showed off with some of the Jaegers. Loved the bit that was given to Chernov. Russian stereotyping of the music but damnit if it didn't fit them.

Maybe I just enjoyed the movie so much that I forgot but was the elbow rocket bit in the film? I don't remember it.

Is this the director's cut? I'm not saying that I feel that it was butchered or whatever but I'd like to see an extended cut of this film. If he cut out an hour, I'd to see what was cut out and why.
Yeah, it was there.
Old 07-13-13, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You enjoyed it so much that you weren't paying attention to it?
Old 07-13-13, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

He was vigorously masturbating beforehand and shot his load into his eyes during that scene.
Old 07-13-13, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's all about context. In Pac Rim, they give a shit about regular people. The whole point of the program is to defend people, and they go fight the Kaiju in the oceans so they can keep them from wrecking the cities. Once they get to the city, you see that they've set up shelters to try and protect people again, so presumably the buildings being destroyed aren't full of people. In MoS, there is no regard for the everyday citizens of Metropolis.
Yes, the world leaders care so much about human life that they want to abandon the only things that have worked against these aliens to build a stupid wall.

Context indeed.
Old 07-13-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, the world leaders care so much about human life that they want to abandon the only things that have worked against these aliens to build a stupid wall.

Context indeed.
In all fairness, Supermallet was talking specifically about the Jaeger Defensive. That program clearly involved engaging the Kaiju away from the cities. That's why
Spoiler:
only the Sydney fight, Mako's flashback, and the final battle were on land.
The Wall program was a worldwide initiative because it was felt that the Jaegers were no longer getting the job done.
Old 07-13-13, 02:43 PM

Just saw it IMAX 3D. Loved it for what it was! Giant Robots vs. Giant Monsters with fights that you could visually follow, really loud action that leaves you wanting more, hot guys that leave you wanting more, strong female that was still vulnerable and didn't scream constantly, Ron Pearlman awesomeness, 3D was effective and great visuals all around with a nice sprinkling of stinky cheese. Perfect summer movie to escape the 100 degree heat.
Old 07-13-13, 03:04 PM
Banned

Sure, why not? Everything else kept but those less than 15 seconds? I don't remember them. Maybe I was chomping away at my popcorn or was poppin my neck with my eyes closed or I blew my load, man. It's possible, no? Don't be a ****. We all know you do it too. Duh.
Old 07-13-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
He was vigorously masturbating beforehand and shot his load into his eyes during that scene.
Everything is a masturbation event for Jules
Old 07-13-13, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nando820
Everything is a masturbation event for Jules
Even Kate Upton?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.