Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lone Ranger (Verbinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Lone Ranger (Verbinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
2.56%
2.56%
5.13%
25.64%
23.08%
17.95%
7.69%
5.13%
0%
2.56%
5.13%
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Western
2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

The Lone Ranger (Verbinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Old 07-01-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: The Lone Ranger (Verbinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
White House Down may taken that prize (although I still suspect Pacific Rim isn't going to do as well as everyone around here seems to suspect).
Uh...people aren't exactly thinking Pacific Rim is going to do that well last I checked. Most have stated they will be shocked if it is able to open north of $35 million.
Old 07-01-13, 10:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is this movie over two hours? Why is it over an hour and a half? At what point did the studios mandate these overly long blockbusters? Theaters can't show as many screenings of longer movies, so it can't be the vendors who are asking for it. These movies are utterly exhausting, with so much wasted footage. What happened to a short, fun adventure? Raiders of the Lost Ark is 115 minutes and it is perfect. There is no reason for The Lone Ranger, or Transformers 3, or Man of Steel to be as long as they are.
Old 07-01-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Saw it tonight. I enjoyed it, about 3/5, but among other things, the framing device is fucking annoying. But there is a scene where the Lone Ranger endangers innocent people, so prepare for a 45 page bitchfest.
Old 07-01-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Saw it tonight. I enjoyed it, about 3/5, but among other things, the framing device is fucking annoying. But there is a scene where the Lone Ranger endangers innocent people, so prepare for a 45 page bitchfest.
Spoiler:
Do the scenes with the boy and old Tonto only happen at the beginning and end, with voice over narration throughout? Or does the movie constantly jump back to old Tonto and the boy?
Old 07-01-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Do the scenes with the boy and old Tonto only happen at the beginning and end, with voice over narration throughout? Or does the movie constantly jump back to old Tonto and the boy?
Spoiler:
They happen throughout. Not super often, but enough to interrupt the proceedings in an annoying fashion, with the kid yelling "WAIT!" or asking questions while the action is occurring, and we cut to Old Tonto doing something seemingly random (that subtly correlates to what will transpire) while talking to the kid. Interruptions can be cool if it's The Princess Bride, but in this, I felt it brought the story to a halt.

There's no narration over the actual events though.

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-01-13 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Spoiler:
They happen throughout. Not super often, but enough to interrupt the proceedings in an annoying fashion, with the kid yelling "WAIT!" or asking questions while the action is occurring, and we cut to Old Tonto doing something seemingly random (that subtly correlates to what will transpire) while talking to the kid. Interruptions can be cool if it's The Princess Bride, but in this, I felt it brought the story to a halt.

There's no narration over the actual events though.
The bolded part really worries me.
Old 07-02-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Strangely, the thing that has me most interested in seeing this is just to see what Ruth Wilson does in a big budget movie.
Old 07-02-13, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I did not expect to see her in such a high profile role.
Old 07-02-13, 01:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh shit, Alice is in this?
Old 07-02-13, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently down to 16% on RT. OUCH.
Old 07-02-13, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Currently down to 16% on RT. OUCH.
I wonder if some of the critics are going into the movie with a bias already against it. Klinton Spilsbury is so ingrained in their minds as THE Lone Ranger that they just can't/won't accept Armie Hammer in the role.

If this bombs, I am sure Klinton Spilsbury will be laughing... laughing all the way to the local welfare office where he picks up his weekly check.
Old 07-02-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Strangely, the thing that has me most interested in seeing this is just to see what Ruth Wilson does in a big budget movie.
Don't make me go to IMDB, just tell me who the hell Ruth Wilson and "Alice" are.
Old 07-02-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Don't make me go to IMDB, just tell me who the hell Ruth Wilson and "Alice" are.
English actress. Played the villain on the BBC series Luther, which starred Idris Elba. Alice was her character's name.
Old 07-02-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Why is this movie over two hours? Why is it over an hour and a half? At what point did the studios mandate these overly long blockbusters? Theaters can't show as many screenings of longer movies, so it can't be the vendors who are asking for it.
Is running time really an issue anymore? Multiplexes can run a movie in three, four, five theaters at a time. They can show as many screenings as they want.
Old 07-02-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Is running time really an issue anymore? Multiplexes can run a movie in three, four, five theaters at a time. They can show as many screenings as they want.
Doesn't matter, more showings = more potential money without taking away other movies (by taking over other theaters).

Running time is more an issue for the movie goer, I'm sick of movies going on too long - you make it enjoyable and then extend it on for an hour past when that stopped.
Old 07-02-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it did feel bloated. And there was at least one "Okay audience, you're all idiots so here's a flashback to 10 minutes ago" moment.
Old 07-02-13, 11:17 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Clayton Moore just rose from his grave. And shot himself in the head.
Old 07-02-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Why is this movie over two hours? Why is it over an hour and a half? At what point did the studios mandate these overly long blockbusters? Theaters can't show as many screenings of longer movies, so it can't be the vendors who are asking for it. These movies are utterly exhausting, with so much wasted footage. What happened to a short, fun adventure? Raiders of the Lost Ark is 115 minutes and it is perfect. There is no reason for The Lone Ranger, or Transformers 3, or Man of Steel to be as long as they are.
Raiders is a perfect example. Plenty of action and a fun exciting story, all told under 2 hours. Many of these newer blockbusters are definitely bloated. All of the Pirates films could have been chopped down quite a bit. Same goes for all of Michael Bay's movies. You'd think with this frantic style that he'd be more likely to churn out something under 120 minutes, but many of his movies include way too much filler crap. The first Bad Boys might be the only film he's done under 2 hours. If the story intrigues me and has a good balance of action/plot, al la Fellowship of the Ring, I don't worry about length. But the typical Summer fare can definitely numb you after a couple hours.
Old 07-02-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah this is from Gore Verbinski, director of Pirates: Dead Man's Chest, which to this day is still the longest (perception wise) movie I've ever seen.
Old 07-02-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.examiner.com/article/john...s-next-project

Johnny Depp Not Signed For 'The Lone Ranger' Sequels; Plans Next Project

There's no doubt that Disney is hoping The Lone Ranger will turn out to be a franchise on the same level as Pirates of the Caribbean. They've certainly dumped enough money into it, reportedly well over $200M, and have all of the same key players in place. So it's not surprising to learn that most of the cast are signed on for sequels. What is surprising is the one who isn't locked in just yet.

While talking to E! Online, Armie Hammer revealed that he is signed on for a "couple" more movies as the titular gunslinging Texas Ranging. Co-star Ruth Wilson, who plays the widow of the Ranger's brother, admits to being bound for three films in total. Johnny Depp, on the other hand, has yet to put ink on a multi-picture deal...

Depp: "I think it was a one-shot deal."

He did go on to add that he'd "be ready to go in a second" if a sequel was green lit, but Disney would have to shell out a lot of cash, which could make the bean counters antsy considering the budget woes they went through last time.

Even though he already has two other franchises pushing ahead with Pirates of the Caribbean 5 and an Alice In Wonderland sequel, Depp is possibly looking to add one more. While talking with Buzzsugar, he talked about adapting Kyril Bonfiglioli's The Great Mortdecai Mustache Mystery, the final book in his quirky Mortdecai Trilogy. He hopes to make it his next project, probably after he's done fulfilling other obligations, but it's likely a ways off as there's no writer or director attached at this point. It would be another offbeat role for Depp, playing wealthy art dealer Charlie Mortdecai, who has a lust for the finer things in life and often investigates strange unresolved crimes. Here's the plot synopsis straight from Amazon, and it sounds like something Depp could possibly reteam with Tim Burton on....

Kyril Bonfiglioli’s final novel follows the Hon. Charlie Mortdecai from adventure to misadventure via Jersey and Moscow to a final showdown in a Buckinghamshire bungalow of unparalleled hideousness.

Tackling en route an unhealthy sprinkling of well-seasoned academics, a cryptic monk, an aristocratic Chief Constable, and more spies than you could shoehorn into a black stretch limo, Mordecai finds himself embroiled in another mission of international insecurity.

The Lone Ranger hits theaters on July 3rd.
Has Johnny Depp become the new Eddie Murphy?
Old 07-02-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

The fuck is this? The Great Mortdecai Mustache Mystery
And it's a trilogy??

Depp needs to go away... he's become a caricature of himself.
Old 07-02-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222

Has Johnny Depp become the new Eddie Murphy?
No Johnny makes a good movie every 10 years.
Old 07-02-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
No Johnny makes a good movie every 10 years.
Maybe it's this one :

http://www.eonline.com/news/434494/j...rss_topstories

Johnny Depp in Into The Woods: "A Dream Come True," But He Worries About His Singing

Johnny Depp can't wait to play The Wolf in the movie adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's Tony award winning musical Into the Woods.
But even a superstar like Mr. Depp can come down with a case of the jitters.
"I'm so excited to play the big bad Wolf," Depp told me whole promoting The Lone Ranger (in theaters on July 3). "That kind of thing is sort of a dream come true.
"The deal is, once again it's Sondheim," he explained, "who's amazing, but when you're not a crack vocalist, it's quite complicated stuff that he writes."
Depp shouldn't be too nervous. He starred in the movie version of Sondheim's Sweeney Todd, after all.

At the time, Sondheim was asked by the Los Angeles Times if he was worried about Depp's vocal abilities. "I've always preferred actors who sing instead of singers who act and generally I've tried to cast that way with the shows in New York," he said. "They have to be musical. They have to be able to carry a tune. They have to have a sense of rhythm.
"Legitimate voices, so to speak, can be too big for the screen, particularly this," he added. "The screen is much more intimate, a realistic medium. In order for singing to work on the screen, it has to be acted and it has to be small."
Directed by Chicago helmer Rob Marshall, Depp will costar in Into The Woods alongside Meryl Streep as The Witch, Jake Gyllenhaal as Cinderella's Prince, Chris Pine as Rapunzel's Prince and Emily Blunt as The Baker's Wife. Anna Kendrick is reportedly close to signing on to play Cinderella.

Into The Woods, which won three Tonys in 1988, is an interwoven tale using an ensemble of iconic fairy tale characters.
The film is slated for a Christmas release in 2014.
It will mark Depp's second time working with Marshall, who first directed him in the fourth and most recent installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.
Old 07-02-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

I knew that too many movies with Burton would eventually affect his critical judgement.
Old 07-02-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rob V
Depp needs to go away... he's become a caricature of himself.
Eh.

Let's see in the last 10 years:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)
...And They Lived Happily Ever After (2004)
Secret Window (2004)
The Libertine (2004)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Corpse Bride (2005)
Pirates of the Caribbean: DMC
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Public Enemies (2009)
Alice in Wonderland (2010)
The Tourist (2010)
The Rum Diary (2011)
Rango (2011)
The Rum Diary (2011)
21 Jump Street (2012)
Dark Shadows (2012)

He was awesome in Pirates of the Caribbean and Once Upon a Time in Mexico - solid in Public Enemies, Libertine, Finding Neverland, Secret Window, Sweeney Todd and Rum Diary - and worthless in Charlie and Alice.

That really isn't all that bad. He was well suited to the role in Dark Shadows and played it fine, the movie just sucked ass. Never actually saw The Tourist.

The dude has always played off-beat quirky characters, Pirates was huge so they're milking that. Alice was an all around, billion dollar grossing miscalculation. The rest seems negligible.

His reign as the Disney/Burton money maker will come to an end after this does poorly and Pirates 5 is "soft". He should be back to making internet geekdom fan movies by the time he's 52. Unless Transcendence turns out really well, then 50.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-02-13 at 01:47 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.