Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)
10.68%
8.74%
20.39%
19.42%
11.65%
9.71%
6.80%
3.88%
2.91%
2.91%
2.91%
Man of Steely Convictions
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Old 04-22-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't have a problem with the idea of the tornado scene, especially since Pa Kent had already indicated that maybe Clark should have let his schoolmates drown instead of revealing his powers. I just have a problem with the way it was shot/staged.

He had an eternity to give his son a wistful glance and impart a final knowing look before being sucked away. When he should have just fucking ran. Clark could have started to run to meet him but his dad could have yelled at him to stop him from using his super speed. Anything to make it more dramatic yet inevitable. Instead everyone just stands and looks at each other until the tornado reaches him. So dumb.

Nope. John Kent was injured and could barely walk and CLARK TRUSTED HIS DAD knew best. We may not have agreed with why he(John) did it, but in the context of Clark and Pa Kent it made sense. John was terrified of what the world would do to Clark similar to how Lara felt on Krypton. This was polar opposite to how Jor El felt people would treat him. I thought it was a nice comparison.
Old 04-22-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

This thread inspired me to revisit this movie and I found myself still enjoying it. But I forgot how LOUD it is!

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Nope. John Kent was injured and could barely walk and CLARK TRUSTED HIS DAD knew best. We may not have agreed with why he(John) did it, but in the context of Clark and Pa Kent it made sense. John was terrified of what the world would do to Clark similar to how Lara felt on Krypton. This was polar opposite to how Jor El felt people would treat him. I thought it was a nice comparison.
Exactly right.
Old 04-22-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tornado scene is the dividing line on wether one likes the flick or not. To me, it's as cheesy as anything in the Donner films.
Old 04-23-14, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
The tornado scene is the dividing line on wether one likes the flick or not. To me, it's as cheesy as anything in the Donner films.
Not for me. I liked that scene but hated every single tentacle and almost all action scenes in the latter half.
Old 04-23-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Not for me. I liked that scene but hated every single tentacle and almost all action scenes in the latter half.
There's too much action, that's the major fault. It felt like a TRANSFORMERS sequel for a while during the last 1/4th of the movie. I think I mentioned this before (or maybe someone else did), but it was like Warners was over-compensating for the complaints about SUPERMAN RETURNS not having enough action in it.
Old 04-23-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Part of the problem was the way it was paced. There wasn't much action for the first half, and then you wound up with blaring Michael Bay-style overload in the last act where everything got blown up twice.
Old 04-23-14, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It's not just the end. The stuff on Krypton at the begining was very hard to get through on second viewing. It dragged out a bit much. I think the Clark stuff is better than the original Superman but the begining and end sort of kill the movie for me.
Old 04-23-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this superman movie was made for modern times.

IMO, This movie was the most realistic to todays reality. Again, When you have superman fighting other equivalents, it’s a battle of gods. This isn’t Captain America vs a bunch of soldier. Lets be realistic about this. The comics had daily planet getting destroyed almost every other edition.

Again, the nitpicking, I believe, has a lot to do with the previous editions of Superman. It may not be in your thought process but in the back of your mind, this is why people are getting on the movies case.
Old 04-23-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Today's reality...
How Long Is Too Long To Stand Watching The World End?

As Zod unleashes his fury on Metropolis, and changes the electro-magnetic field and mass of the planet using his ship and the World Engine (somewhere a scientist’s head has just exploded) we see Perry White and his entire office of staff watching from their workplace, mere metres away from collapsing buildings that seem to be causing major collateral damage (though not, oddly, to their office.)

This destruction cuts away from White, and continues for a good while, before unfeasibly cutting back to the Daily Planet office, where a not-at-all Health and Safety conscious White has still failed to issue the “get the hell out!” order to his staff. Eventually he does just that, ordering the staff, who are all stood apparently gawping without so much as a flicker of self-preservation kicking in until their boss tells them to run – a good ten minutes after they should already have been dead.

It seems like White was a little late with his order, since only he, the lecherous Steve Lombard (Michael Kelly) and the mysterious Jenny (Rebecca Butler) seem to survive, emerging from an avalanche of rubble to watch the devastation from the ground, and dodge bits of flying rubble with almost reckless abandon.

In all honesty, none of the three human characters who unnecessarily watch the world fall to pieces from ground level should ever have survived with just a sprinkling of rubble and dust on their faces. They are effectively stood in the middle of a squall of destruction, with skyscrapers falling left, right and center, and yet, their frankly casual attempts to escape are not punished by the death that should have happened to them.

Threat-levels are apparently different when they suit the narrative, especially when you’re Laurence Fishburne
http://whatculture.com/film/man-of-s...man-ever.php/8

#mosrealism
Old 04-23-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I agree that more civilians should have died.
Old 04-23-14, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Most of them did from what I could tell. No you couldn't actually see them die but you didn't see a lot of people after the destruction.
Old 04-23-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I still can't believe Supes let his dad become mincemeat by a tornado. Probably the stupidest scene in any Superhero flick.
No that would be the scene from Amazing Spiderman were all the crane operators in the city stay to help Spiderman web swing to OSCORP despite the fact the city was being evacuated due to a biological weapon attack.
Old 04-23-14, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099
No that would be the scene from Amazing Spiderman were all the crane operators in the city stay to help Spiderman web swing to OSCORP despite the fact the city was being evacuated due to a biological weapon attack.
Nah, the ferry boat outcome from The Dark Knight is still the single dumbest thing ever written since humans first started drawing on the walls of their caves.
Old 04-23-14, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yoshimi
Nah, the ferry boat outcome from The Dark Knight is still the single dumbest thing ever written since humans first started drawing on the walls of their caves.
I don't think it was stupid, I just think it comes down to your worldview, and I don't have enough faith in humanity to believe that one of those boats wouldn't have been splinters within 30 seconds. It was certainly not as stupid as anything in a Michael Bay film.
Old 04-23-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

Originally Posted by bootsy
Most of them did from what I could tell. No you couldn't actually see them die but you didn't see a lot of people after the destruction.
I was thinking the same thing when the Chitauri monster ships were crashing into the buildings while chasing heroes and after the heroes beat them up; and also when the Airships where hitting buildings in Washington DC after being disabled....oh wait...all that death and destruction was from The Avengers and Captain America:WS films.

I guess Marvel films get a PASS when it comes to Mass killin' Innocent Muthahfuckahs in big cities.
Old 04-23-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I was just kidding, I've been one of the few people defending MoS, and I don't even like Superman.
Old 04-23-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was thinking the same thing when the Chitauri monster ships were crashing into the buildings while chasing heroes and after the heroes beat them up; and also when the Airships where hitting buildings in Washington DC after being disabled....oh wait...all that death and destruction was from The Avengers and Captain America:WS films.

I guess Marvel films get a PASS when it comes to Mass killin' Innocent Muthahfuckahs in big cities.
At least they had a few scenes of cordoning off areas and evacuating people.
Old 04-23-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yoshimi
I love you so, so much.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It was certainly not as stupid as anything in a Michael Bay film.
Then there's this.
Name me one stupid thing in ANY Michael Bay film.
Old 04-23-14, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly

Then there's this.
Now, without a smilile, you very well are being sarcastic with the comment, but just in case...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MzJbizELHYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hell, there's so many stupid things in Transformers 2 (robot heaven anyone?)...
Old 04-23-14, 09:46 PM

I bet even a Transformer with balls would not wait until he got 3000 feet into the air to remove the hoods of three men who supposedly work for a well known terrorist.
Old 04-24-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
At least they had a few scenes of cordoning off areas and evacuating people.
Old 04-24-14, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Then there's this.
Just one scene? He has entire films dedicated to stupidity.

Transformers 1
Transformers 2
Transformers 3
Bad Boys 2
Armageddon
Pearl Harbor

Basically his entire directing career hinges on two solid films, The Rock and Bad Boys, both nearing their 20 year anniversaries.
Old 04-24-14, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Michael Bay is one of the reasons I stopped going to the movies in the summer, simply because he has continued to make the dumbest movies in the world, yet they still make zillions of dollars. So I finally realized that Hollywood was not making summer blockbusters for my tastes anymore. His movies have zero character development, zero plot, and zero drama or humor. They are action, CGI, action, CGI, etc, while every edit is less then 10 seconds so you end up having a headache after the movie is over.

The Rock is the only movie he has ever made that I somewhat enjoyed simply because Sean Connery carried the movie and gave it some credibility!
Old 04-24-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just one scene? He has entire films dedicated to stupidity.

Transformers 1
Transformers 2
Transformers 3
Bad Boys 2
Armageddon
Pearl Harbor

Basically his entire directing career hinges on two solid films, The Rock and Bad Boys, both nearing their 20 year anniversaries.
C'mon, you know who you're talking to, right? You might as well be trying to argue Jack & Jill wasn't Oscar worthy.
Old 04-24-14, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

holy crap, that article is making a movie about a superhero into the godfather... very nitpicky. About the deaths? really?

its a big freaking city!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.