Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Europa Report (2013)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Europa Report (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Europa Report (2013)

Didn't see anything on this and it looks like something some of you (including me) would like.

Space mission gone wrong. Starring Sharlto Copely and Michael Nyqvist (Dragon Tattoo)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESj6tS8vKpM

Can someone link? I'm on my phone.

http://m.joblo.com/aith/news/40434

Review above.

Looks very cool.

Last edited by SuckaMC; 06-27-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Europa Report (2013)

Ps: available today on VOD!
Old 06-27-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody? Wow...
Old 06-27-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Nobody? Wow...
Don't be needy. Most people have been at work all afternoon.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cbw9hlBnG74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-27-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lol. Didn't think of the whole "work" angle. Which is weird considering I made the post from work. Thanks for the embed.
Old 07-25-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched this...it might be one that will grow on me more with time, but here is my initial reaction:

Definitely worth a watch for any sci-fi fan. Parts were brilliant, other parts were frustrating. It's basically 'Chronicles' in space, in the sense that the only footage you see has to come organically from one of the onboard or on-suit cams.

Spoiler:
The good: In terms of playing within the rules (i.e. the gimmick) it was very consistent as far as I can tell. The main character of the movie was the 'found footage', everybody else was secondary. Beautiful shots, intense sequences, and an extremely realistic depiction of a manned mission to Euoropa (stemming from their close collaboration with NASA).

***side note rant*** WTF NASA?!?! It's great and all that your helping out Hollywood, but how about you stop worrying so much about global warming and think about actually sending someone out past the moon? ***end side note rant***

More good stuff...it did a great job of generating a sense of awe and wonder. That right there makes it worth seeing.

The bad: The gimmick is quickly wearing thin. I get it, I even like it and respect it at times. But there were more than a few occasions where I wished that they could stop with the camera gimmick and focus on wider shots and a more fully developed plot. Which brings me to the plot. Take away the gimmick and it's pretty thin and nothing new. The acting was hit or miss. I liked District 9 guy, but it was a little choppy with some of the other characters. Showing the alien at the end felt really out of place. I get that they did this bc a lot of people would bitch if they didn't, but it felt cheap. Up until that point it's a very vague light, it left a lot to the imagination and quite frankly my imagination was more enjoyable than what they showed.

Summary: definitely worth a watch. Any sci-fi fan will get enough out of this to really enjoy it. While it has it's frustrating moments, it also did a great job of generating the sense of awe that is missing from so many big budget sci-fi action thrillers.
Old 07-25-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

I've heard people say that this is the most realistic space movie ever made. Comparisons to 2001: A Space Odyssey in that regard.

I'm interested to see it.
Old 07-26-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I saw this last week and thought it was pretty damn good. It was neat that NASA/JPL actually collaborated with the filmmakers in an active role (they talked about this at Comic-Con) than just an "advisory" role.

For those wanting to scope Sharlto Colpey out -
Spoiler:
he's the first one to die and screen time only amounts to a few minutes.

As far as the ending goes -
Spoiler:
I LOVED that they actually showed you an "alien" grounded in our reality. It's something plausible and not too far removed from what we have here on Earth.
Old 07-29-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Watched this today and really enjoyed it.
Spoiler:
Nice that it was not the typical alien menace that stalks the crew one by one.

Good use of "found" footage mixed with the talking head stuff. I also liked that they handled the
Spoiler:
deaths as just a matter of fact, no melodrama
Old 08-08-13, 07:55 PM

I just finished watching having never heard of this movie until a friend told me about it last night. I loved it! I guess I'm still a sucker for the found footage movie, especially one so grounded in a bit more of a "realistic" setting. I loved the journey as well as the ending. The score was nice too. The portrayal of the crew relationships were so refreshing, no space craziness, psychopaths, no jump scares, no shady motives, selfish ambitions. This helped me to connect more to the mission and I was intrigued and gripped throughout. There were shortcomings but in a summer full of big, loud, robots, sequels, this was a nice change of pace.
Old 09-27-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I thought more people were interested in this film, but judging by this thread I guess not ... Is there something specific about it that is turning everyone off?

The trailer made it out to be more of a horror film than it really was. I would classify it more as psychological terror. The found footage aspect, which would normally have annoyed me, actually fit in quite well here and made for an interesting narrative structure.

I would compare it to Duncan Jones' Moon, in terms of the quality of the storyline. Definitely something I would watch again.

Here's my review.
Old 09-27-13, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never did get around to watching it. Maybe this weekend. There's another sci-fi movie that looks similar with a similarly good cast called The Last Day on Mars (or something close to that). I'd make a thread on it but I'm on my phone....
Old 09-27-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The movie frankly just doesn't look like much, I'm sure it'll be much more popular once it's on Netflix Streaming (which it should be before Thanksgiving, if other Magnet releases are any sign)
Old 09-27-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The movie frankly just doesn't look like much, I'm sure it'll be much more popular once it's on Netflix Streaming (which it should be before Thanksgiving, if other Magnet releases are any sign)
It's a shame. I'm working on the review for another site and will go on record in saying it's one of the best films of the year.
Old 09-28-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
There's another sci-fi movie that looks similar with a similarly good cast called The Last Day on Mars (or something close to that).
I did see the trailer for that before the screening I saw of Europa Report. I'm interested in seeing that too, but it looks like 28 Days Later set on Mars, which is nothing like what Europa Report actually is. I think the trailer for Europa Report is kind of misleading.
Old 09-28-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw this recently. Very enjoyable. Great, tense atmosphere. For those interested in space exploration and wonder what's out in the far reaches of space, this is a must.
Old 09-28-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now the good reviews come pouring in... Its not available to rent now! Luckily it comes out Oct 8th.
Old 09-30-13, 09:07 AM

Watched it this weekend. Really enjoyed it and found it interesting. Loved that they didn't go the route with someone getting infected like Apollo 18.
Old 09-30-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Our library has it on order, so I requested a copy. Looking forward to checking it out.
Old 10-10-13, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watching the credits roll now. Really excellent. Glad they framed it with some commentary and didn't just throw "raw footage" on the screen. Good use found footage with there always being a legit camera somewhere.

Spoiler:
copely's line, "I'm gone." was terrifyingly haunting in its delivery.

Damn, space is scary as hell.

I rented this on Vudu, but ill definitely buy it when it drops a bit.
Old 11-09-13, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

This was added to Netflix Streaming yesterday.
Old 11-09-13, 11:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This was added to Netflix Streaming yesterday.
thank you Rich. was interested in seeing this.
Old 03-27-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Watched this last night on Blu-Ray and thought it was very solid. Surprised to see such a small thread for it.
Old 03-31-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Caught this on Netflix tonight; I really enjoyed it. A very realistic and grounded sci-fi thriller. Every move the characters made was tense just for the fact that there's nothing routine in space and everything is a risk.

The "found footage" aspect wasn't nearly as distracting or annoying as it could have been. There was enough fixed camera angles and handheld footage to made it feel less restricting than a lot of found footage movies are. Yet it still gave a very claustrophobic feeling when it needed to be.

It's also only 90 minutes long so it doesn't overstay it's welcome.
Old 04-01-14, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Personally, I enjoyed this more than Gravity. Gravity kills it on special effects & spectacle obviously, but I thought Europa Report was substantially better in terms of plot & characters.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.