DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Shhhh! Book to Film Sheep (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/611638-shhhh-book-film-sheep.html)

Crocker Jarmen 06-26-13 06:39 PM

Shhhh! Book to Film Sheep

Hello, and welcome to Books to Film Sheep. Whether you read them before the movie or after, your knowledge in cinematic treatment of literature will bring you big points and who knows, maybe even that coveted spot as Top Sheep!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:
(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:
The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</FONT>) or least common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</FONT>), but still correct.
Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</FONT> question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</FONT> question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT>, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT>.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:
Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -20
2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
4 Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
In <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</FONT> questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. Due to stacked Slam Dunks becoming a bit too powerful in these games, I’m limiting the stacking to 2 on any given question. If you place more than that on a single question, the additional Slam Dunks will not count.
In <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</FONT> questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. If you stack {sd}'s, it will turn the score back into a reverse sheep question.
I will correct mistakes made when sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

**** Note: Be sure to check out posts #7 and #8 which clarify questions you may have ****

Here are your questions...

01. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What is Stanely Kubrick's best film based on a novel?

02. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What book to film translation was the biggest flop?

03. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What is the best film based on a children's book?

04. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT> What theatrical movie adapted from a Stephen King novel (careful, I said novel) did Stephen King act in?

05. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> Which actor best nailed capturing the character from a book?

06. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT> Name a movie in which Mary Shelley appears as a character.

07. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> Name a movie that was accused of borrowing too much inspiration from a book or story without credit.

08. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT> Name a director who won their Best Director Oscar for a movie based on a book.

09. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What is the best Bible based movie?

10. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What is the best film based on a non-fiction book?

11. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> Name a film based on a book that had a sequel not based on a book.

12. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> Name the book with the most film adaptations.

13. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> Name your favorite silent movie based on a book.

14. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT> Name a book from the 1800's to be turned into a movie?

15. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> Name your favorite video game based on a movie that was based on a book.

16. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT> Name a movie based on a self-contained "graphic novel" (no comic book series or strips)?

17. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What book are audiences still waiting to be brought to the big screen?

18. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What is the best book to film adaptation of all time?

19. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</FONT> What is the worst book to film adaptation of all time?

20. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</FONT> Name an author to be nominated for an Academy Award for adapting their work to the screen.

ruddiger_718 06-26-13 07:00 PM

Re: Shhhh! Book to Film Sheep

Answers sent! After the retro arcade, it'll be interesting to see if I'm repeat last place. I did try to be sheepish, but a lot of my answers are personal in mindset, probably more than any game I've played.

Drexl 06-26-13 07:07 PM

Just to get this out of the way, "book" does not mean comic book, right?

brainee 06-26-13 07:17 PM

Are #14 and #16 supposed to be reverse questions? I've seen this in other games ... but qualifying a reverse question with words like "best" or "most popular" doesn't sense to me.

Any for #16, does that mean that graphic novels that were originally published in installments (but still not being part of any ongoing series) will all be considered incorrect answers?

Oh, another question ... you don't mention any qualifications for what you consider a "film" or "movie". Are made-for-television or direct-to-home video movies all wrong answers? And if so, do theatrical release movies need to have evidence of wide release (or will any limited screenings, such as those at festivals, be ok)?

Cabman Gray 06-26-13 07:28 PM

Awful answers sent.

rocket1312 06-26-13 08:44 PM

Answers sent. Definitely some tough questions in there.

Crocker Jarmen 06-26-13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 11745150)
Are #14 and #16 supposed to be reverse questions? I've seen this in other games ... but qualifying a reverse question with words like "best" or "most popular" doesn't sense to me.

You are correct, these would be better worded as "Name a..." rather than "Name the best...". Otherwise, yes, they are reverse questions.

Any for #16, does that mean that graphic novels that were originally published in installments (but still not being part of any ongoing series) will all be considered incorrect answers?
I'm pretty reasonable, so while a lot of "graphic novels" were orginaly serialized either in mini-series or anthologies, I'm pretty sure I will accept them as correct answers. I just don't want people answering stuff like "Superman" or "Archie" or "Detective Comics". You need to be able to point to a self-contained story that a movie was "based on" not "inspired by", so The Killing Joke would be considered an incorrect answer.

Oh, another question ... you don't mention any qualifications for what you consider a "film" or "movie". Are made-for-television or direct-to-home video movies all wrong answers? And if so, do theatrical release movies need to have evidence of wide release (or will any limited screenings, such as those at festivals, be ok)?
I'm going to go by the standard of movies need to be feature length theatrically released in their country of origin, no TV shows, made for television or direct to video.

If anyone who has submitted answers so far wishes to revise them on anything I have clarified here you may do so with no penalty incurred.

Crocker Jarmen 06-26-13 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 11745145)
Just to get this out of the way, "book" does not mean comic book, right?

Except for the "graphic novel" question, YES. I think most of us can agree on the difference between a "book" and a "comic book". For example, there is a well known children's book that has many illustrations, and many key parts of the story are told in picture only, but I think most us would agree it would be considered a book, while "Betty and Veronica" or "DC's The Punisher" are comic books.

Obi-Wanma 06-26-13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11745249)
Except for the "graphic novel" question yes. I think most of us can agree on the difference between a "book" and a "comic book". For example, there is a well known children's book that has many illustrations, and many key parts of the story are told in picture only, but I think most us would agree it would be considered a book, while "Betty and Veronica" or "DC's The Punisher" are comic books.

"DC's The Punisher" doesn't exist.

Punisher is a Marvel Character.

Obi-Wanma 06-26-13 09:17 PM

Also regarding question 16, how strictly are you applying the "No Series" portion of the question? Because many of the most famous graphic novels were orginally published serially as a comic book series, and then later collected and published as a self contained graphic novel.

brainee 06-26-13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11745249)
I think most of us can agree on the difference between a "book" and a "comic book".

Wait ... you mean some people read books without ANY pictures in them?!?!? :confused:

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 11745252)
Also regarding question 16, how strictly are you applying the "No Series" portion of the question? Because many of the most famous graphic novels were orginally published serially as a comic book series, and then later collected and published as a self contained graphic novel.

He answered this question for me a couple of posts up. It sounds like all the things you're thinking of would be considered correct answers.

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11745245)
I'm pretty reasonable, so while a lot of "graphic novels" were orginaly serialized either in mini-series or anthologies, I'm pretty sure I will accept them as correct answers. I just don't want people answering stuff like "Superman" or "Archie" or "Detective Comics". You need to be able to point to a self-contained story that a movie was "based on" not "inspired by", so The Killing Joke would be considered an incorrect answer.

Obi-Wanma 06-26-13 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 11745293)
He answered this question for me a couple of posts up. It sounds like all the things you're thinking of would be considered correct answers.

Damn, you're right. Dunno how I totally missed that.

Thanks.

brainee 06-27-13 01:18 AM

Some of these sheep questions are kicking my ass ... so many answers possible, and I have no idea what people would say. And being a huge King fan, I was sure that would've been a solid question for me. But damn ... the only theatrical roles I remember for sure with him aren't based on novels :(

How are you going to handle answers for #17 that are from a series of books? Will just saying the series match people naming the first book in the series?

Kal Varnsen 06-27-13 04:15 AM

I think this is the first sheep game which I intentionally answered a wrong answer for a sheep question.

Fist of Doom 06-27-13 05:13 AM

Horrible, horrible answers sent.

Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen (Post 11745475)
I think this is the first sheep game which I intentionally answered a wrong answer for a sheep question.

Let's hope it was the same as mine!

sleepyhead55 06-27-13 05:27 PM

Shitty answers sent. Used the same answers for a few questions.

Rockmjd23 06-27-13 06:06 PM

Do you realize that there are only 2 correct answers for #4?

brainee 06-27-13 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 11745435)
How are you going to handle answers for #17 that are from a series of books? Will just saying the series match people naming the first book in the series?

Crocker, can you answer this? It's the only thing holding me up on my submission at this point.

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 11746387)

:mad: If this is one of the most general questions from the aborted Stephen King game, it's probably for the best we never got it.

And I think I know exactly what "intentionally incorrect sheep answer" you guys are talking about. Really on the fence about giving the best correct answer or going with the incorrect one (that may very well be the best answer overall).

Crocker Jarmen 06-27-13 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 11746387)

Yes. Those who know that could capitalize with a slam dunk, unless you think one is better played elsewhere.

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 11746419)
Crocker, can you answer this? It's the only thing holding me up on my submission at this point.

It's Sheep. You are going for the most popular answer. Had Harry Potter never been made into a film series, do you think people would have picked the fourth or sixth Harry Potter book or would they say "The Harry Potter Series"? People have picked series so far, but if someone was to pick, for example, "Return of the King", I would place that with people who picked "The Lord of the Rings" series.

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 11746419)
If this is one of the most general questions from the aborted Stephen King game, it's probably for the best we never got it.

brainee 06-27-13 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11746466)
It's Sheep. You are going for the most popular answer. Had Harry Potter never been made into a film series, do you think people would have picked the fourth or sixth Harry Potter book or would they say "The Harry Potter Series"? People have picked series so far, but if someone was to pick, for example, "Return of the King", I would place that with people who picked "The Lord of the Rings" series.

That answers my question. Awful answers sent.

Cabman Gray 06-27-13 08:58 PM

Not that it really matters since they're both Sheep questions, but I took #3 and #17 to mean one book, not a series - which is how I answered them.

wishbone 06-28-13 08:52 AM

Shopworn answers sent, thanks!

story 06-28-13 09:05 AM

Had to work hard to send in answers that are all "books," and not simply short stories or part of anthologies. Answers sent.

Crocker Jarmen 06-28-13 12:24 PM

Here are our entrants:

brainee
Dave Ninja
dogmatic (name change pending)
drexl
Cabman Gray
Crocker Jarmen
Fist of Doom
Kal Varnsen
Rocket1313
rockmjd23
ruddiger 718
sleepyhead55
wishbone

Lots of good answers. Some of the good answers even match. Some good uniques as well. Bad luck that we are at an uneven 13, though.

Ash Ketchum 06-28-13 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11747270)
Here are our entrants:

brainee
Dave Ninja
dogmatic (name change pending)
drexl
Cabman Gray
Crocker Jarmen
Fist of Doom
Kal Varnsen
Rocket1313
rockmjd23
ruddiger 718
sleepyhead55
wishbone

Lots of good answers. Some of the good answers even match. Some good uniques as well. Bad luck that we are at an uneven 13, though.

Still mulling over whether to play or not. What's the deadline?