Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Taken 3 (D: Megaton) S: Neeson, Grace, Janssen, Whitaker

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 07:47 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Get ready for a third installment of Taken, the franchise launched by EuropaCorp’s Luc Besson and released by 20th Century Fox. I’m told that Liam Neeson is closing a deal in the vicinity of $20 million to reprise his role as Bryan Mills, the retired CIA agent who used his brutal skills after his daughter was kidnapped in France to be sold into sex slavery. Neeson was a reluctant participant in the first sequel but got paid in the $15 million neighborhood. Now I hear he’s getting another raise, and that EuropaCorp is planning to start production in February.

Next will come the effort to make deals with Maggie Grace, who played his daughter in the first two films, and Famke Janssen, who played his ex-wife. They have a script well in the works from Besson and Robert Mark Kamen, who teamed for the first two films. No director has yet been set, but don’t be surprised if Olivier Megaton comes back. He’s the Besson protege who directed the last film, which cost around $45 million and grossed over $376 million. The first film cost around $25 million and grossed over $226 million, with Pierre Morel directing. I thought the original film was vastly better than the sequel. But when the sequel does better than the original at the box office, and doesn’t cost that much more, of course they will try for the trifecta. The key has been getting Neeson. Remarkable that the former boxer will make more money than he has ever in his long career, and that he has grown into one of the most bankable action stars in the business. This is after he stood still for most of his career and suddenly started kicking ass in his later years, leading to this payday at the tender age of 61. Neeson is repped by CAA.
Old 06-24-13, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Taken 3 (S: Neeson)

There is no good reason to make this movie. As if the random grenade throwing wasn't fucking stupid enough, they're going to try and top that??? I love Neeson, but he needs to cut it out and go fight some more wolves.
Old 06-24-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Taken 2 was so so bad, i saw it with a free movie ticket and i wanted to leave the theater
Old 06-24-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many more angry relatives do those crazy Albanians have?!
Old 06-24-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
There is no good reason to make this movie.
Are you kidding? There's a great reason.

Old 06-24-13, 08:14 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Am I in the minority that thought the first one sucked? It was a completely unmemorable summer flick to me.

I don't see why an action movie has to have dumbed down plot & dialogue to be appealing to the masses.
Old 06-24-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever. Fuck it. I like seeing Neeson get a huge pay raise. The guy rocks.

Never saw the sequel, but I've heard it's utter shit. I say ditch Grace & Famke, save some money, and just make it 2 hours of Neeson kicking ass Bronson style.
Old 06-24-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sequel was pretty bad, but I'm still kind of excited to see if they can do better with the third film.
Old 06-24-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
I don't see why an action movie has to have dumbed down plot & dialogue to be appealing to the masses.
The masses are generally dumb. Really dumb... and coupled with no attention span...this is the shit they're fed and devour. Studios must love knowing they can just string together a thread bare plot, a lot of pyrotechnics, endless mind-numbing action scenes...crank up the volume, sit back and count all the BO receipts.

It's worked so far, so why change the formula?
Old 06-24-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Really easy to make an awesome movie.

Have Uncle Rico and Sam get captured overseas on a security gig. Since they are no longer affiliated with the US government, only Liam can save them.

Hire anyone but Megaton. Remove all shaky cam and awful editing. Have Kim and Famke only be involved in the first and last scenes of the movie.
Old 06-24-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hopefully it's filled with even more homages to Drive
Old 06-24-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I wonder if I should bother seeing the second one now. Or if I should pretend the first is a standalone, as I've done thus far with The Hangover.
Old 06-24-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I wonder if I should bother seeing the second one now. Or if I should pretend the first is a standalone, as I've done thus far with The Hangover.

From originals I really enjoyed, Taken 2 and Hangover 2 are the worst immediate sequels I can think of.

Even movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious, Die Hard 2, and Predator 2 are infinitely more watchable.
Old 06-24-13, 09:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

What else is there to be taken? His genitals?
Old 06-24-13, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by thelwig14
From originals I really enjoyed, Taken 2 and Hangover 2 are the worst immediate sequels I can think of.

Even movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious, Die Hard 2, and Predator 2 are infinitely more watchable.
Die Hard 2 was a very strong sequel. Shouldn't even be included with Predator 2. 2 Fast 2 Furious is bad only if you ever thought The Fast and the Furious was that great to begin with.
Old 06-24-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

It would be awesome if he actually TEAMED UP with Leland Orser and Jon Gries (as well as the rotating third guy in his crew), considering that they were a TEAM. That might be asking for too much though.
Old 06-24-13, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by anomynous
Hopefully it's filled with even more homages to Drive
They both shared one song. Hardly a homage.
Old 06-24-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Not surprised by this news at all, especially since Taken 2 made more money than the 1st movie. I posted a story in the Taken 2 thread that FOX wanted Eurocorp to make a 3rd movie.
Old 06-24-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the 1st one and think the 2nd one was a decent sequel (I thought the reversed plot where it was him and the ex-wife taken, instead of their daughter, was a good twist on the original premise). These aren't great movies but they are what they are: entertaining thrillers.

I don't think there is a need for a third one, but Liam Neeson is so good in these type roles, I'd watch it too just because he's in it.
Old 06-24-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dhmac
I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked the 1st one and think the 2nd one was a decent sequel (I thought the reversed plot where it was him and the ex-wife taken, instead of their daughter, was a good twist on the original premise). These aren't great movies but they are what they are: entertaining thrillers.

I don't think there is a need for a third one, but Liam Neeson is so good in these type roles, I'd watch it too just because he's in it.
I agree with you. I didn't hate the 2nd movie either. I bought the BD and have watched it 2 times (by myself and with my parents who liked the 1st movie) It was a decent sequel with some good action, but some of it was repetitive from the 1st movie. I think more of the criticism comes from Megaton's directing style and the editing of the 2nd movie. Script-wise, for the material left from the 1st movie, I think Kamen and Besson's story with the role-reversal kidnapping made sense.

But, as one of the earlier comments suggests, keep the family out of the Taken plot this time around. They should make Bryan's buddy Sam have a prominent role in the next movie.
Old 06-24-13, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac

^^ This.

I never saw any of these movies in theaters. Will wait for Redbox/cable.

Last edited by Brack; 06-24-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Here's a question, does anyone here think that Luc Besson and Robert Mark Kamen are shitty writers? For the most part, they have done good work as writing partners and of course Besson has a good library of work.

Or do you think they are just going through the motions and cashing in paychecks?

It seems like the 2nd movie got shit on mostly for Megaton being director.

Is Besson retired as a film director? Why can't he direct the 3rd movie?
Old 06-24-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I know I'm in the minority on this but I didn't hate Taken 2. It's not as good as the first one but not a terrible movie.
Old 06-24-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taken 2 was horrible. Will Maggie Grace's virginity be taken this time?
Old 06-24-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first was better than it should've been, although the tough-guy dialogue was clunky at many points.

The second was not good, but I didn't hate it.

I will see the third and hope it kicks more ass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.