Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Franco Seeks Crowdfunding For ‘Palo Alto’ Films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 06:06 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

James Franco has launched a new crowdfunding project to finance three feature films about teenage life in his hometown of Palo Alto, CA, adapted from his own 2010 book of short stories, Palo Alto. The multihyphenate has tapped Nina Ljeti, Vladimir Bourdeau, Bruce Thierry Cheung, and Gabriel Demestree to direct and is seeking to raise $500K via Indiegogo to split evenly between the trio of projects. “Because of who I am, people often believe that it is easy to find investors and distributors for my films. Unfortunately, things aren’t that easy,” he writes on the campaign’s page. “More times than not, I have put in my own money to produce my films and my students’ films. However, this time it’s different; we need more funding. I will still fund part of it, but I need of your help; filming three feature films back-to-back requires more funding than I can give.”

The films are aiming to shoot by August before hitting the festival circuit in search of distribution. Donation rewards range from behind the scenes updates and a shooting script PDF ($10) to a personalized video from Franco ($300) to an EP credit and private dinner ($10,000). The Indiegogo campaign ends July 17. Check out Franco’s fundraising video:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/68571575?title=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pa...ld_no_dropdown
Old 06-18-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: James Franco Seeks Crowdfunding For ‘Palo Alto’ Films

So he's doing 90210 movies about a bunch of rich kids? There's nothing remotely interesting about Palo Alto or his high school. It's surrounded by multi million dollar homes and Stanford University is literary right across the street. Now, if he hung out in East Palo Alto. That would be interesting.
Old 06-18-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use your Spider-man 3 money, bitch. It isn't like Franco can't get $500K if he needed to.
Old 06-18-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
So he's doing 90210 movies about a bunch of rich kids? There's nothing remotely interesting about Palo Alto or his high school. It's surrounded by multi million dollar homes and Stanford University is literary right across the street. Now, if he hung out in East Palo Alto. That would be interesting.
Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-18-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Use your Spider-man 3 money, bitch. It isn't like Franco can't get $500K if he needed to.
It's all about leverage and OPM (other people's money).
Old 06-19-13, 08:38 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Why all y'all gotta be all up on the Franco's nuts?