Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

SPOOK CENTRAL (2013) (dir. Ivo Shandor) (Documentary analyzing GHOSTBUSTERS)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-11-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sdueGUDmr0o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A director calling himself Ivo Shandor is making his own movie about a movie, but heís tackling a true fan favorite: Ivan Reitmanís Ghostbusters, which celebrates its 30th anniversary next year. Heís made a documentary called Spook Central, which takes the 1984 blockbuster and dissects it looking for subtext, subliminal messages and more. The first trailer is out now and whether you like it or not, thereís no way youíll watch Ghostbusters the same ever again.
Old 06-11-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 530 Likes on 404 Posts
Re: SPOOK CENTRAL (2013) (dir. Ivo Shandor) (Documentary analyzing GHOSTBUSTERS)

I was 10 when this came out and it was an immediate favorite (the cartoon even more so), but as I grew older and talked to other movie fans, I realized my perception of the movie was different than most other people. For the majority of viewers, this is a comedy, about people dealing with ghosts. For me, it was always a ghost-chasing adventure, that just happened to be funny. For years, seeing it on "Best Comedy" lists and such always confused me.

Am I alone in thinking like this?
Old 06-11-13, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: SPOOK CENTRAL (2013) (dir. Ivo Shandor) (Documentary analyzing GHOSTBUSTERS)

This seems to be a fan commentary that is not in order of scene. Or maybe one of those videos that shows up on thatguywiththeglasses.com
Old 06-11-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Judging by the trailer, it seems to be exactly like that Room 237 nonsense, only perhaps with less slicker editing.

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I was 10 when this came out and it was an immediate favorite (the cartoon even more so), but as I grew older and talked to other movie fans, I realized my perception of the movie was different than most other people. For the majority of viewers, this is a comedy, about people dealing with ghosts. For me, it was always a ghost-chasing adventure, that just happened to be funny. For years, seeing it on "Best Comedy" lists and such always confused me.

I know what you mean, I was 5 when Ghostbusters came out and I felt the same way. The movie had some funny parts, but most of the jokes eluded me, I didn't get that Bill Murray had a funny persona, I just thought he was a mean guy. The scenes I remembered most were the library ghost, the dog statues, the arms coming out of the chair, and the chilling conversation Ray and Winston have about the apocalypse.

Even watching it today, the humor of the movie never takes center stage for me. There are so many disquieting images and camera angles. Even the dirty, messy New York of 30 years ago creates an impending sense of doom. The movie is very funny, I laugh at lots of parts, but I consider it a "comedy" the way something like Pulp Ficition or Deadwood is.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 06-11-13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 12:16 PM
En vacance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No i also agree with this. It has been comedified through the years in growing popularity in an effort to logify it to a genre.
Old 06-11-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh. Its like high school english class when they make you read books and look for all the stupid symbolysm.
Old 06-11-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 186 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post

nope. this is EXACTLY how I viewed it. I can't even remember laughing that much when I was a kid.

Also, growing up with both films, To this day I like Ghostbusters 2 just as much as the original.

The only thing thats changed is that I started laughing a lot more while viewing these films as I got older.
Old 06-11-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 530 Likes on 404 Posts

Wow, glad to see I'm not alone. There really is a lot of weird stuff going in the movie, and it is a beautifully put together film.
Old 06-11-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice title.

No way this plays in my hometown, Gary, IN.
Old 06-11-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ghostbusters doesn't need to be analyzed. There's no hidden meaning behind anything, no political overtones regardless of what people think.

I, like most of you, grew up with the movie as a child of the 80s. It means more to me than any other movie or film franchise, so I probably have rose colored glasses on. But it wasn't until I was in high school I began appreciating the film a lot more than what it was when I was 2 or 3 and started watching it all the time (I'm also in the Ghostbusters II is a good film minority ).

There's a legitimate doc that has been in the can for at least a couple of years now called Cleanin' Up the Town, but for some reason or another it hasn't been released yet. I'd say it's the most definitive retrospective and behind the scenes feature on the franchise as a whole.

I think there's chunks of it on YouTube. The Ghostbusters fansite Proton Charging posted snippets of it back in 2009 or 2010.
Old 06-11-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know about all the claims in the trailer but Ghostbusters did make me distrustful of the EPA at an early age.
Old 06-11-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Congrats, OP, you've managed to track down the world's most boring documentary.