Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
We only saw a couple of seconds of it, it's just a trailer.
It is a big departure from the book. They were just packed in the barrels and were in bad shape when Bilbo got them out at Laketown and the elves did not know they escaped. Here they are having a fine time riding in them
and fighting the elves on the way. Seems like a pointless change.

Also the CGI elves jumping through the trees reminded me of the last Indiana Jones movie.
Old 06-12-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I must have had a lower definition version of the trailer as I didn't see much of Smaug. What I saw was his darkened silhouette with his eyes lit up and shining all over the place, like it was in the book. I thought it was effective, but I also saw a stillshot where his facial features seem more defined. Looking forward to hearing Benedict Cumberbatch's voice. For some reason his "You should have let me sleep" line for Into Darkness seems appropriate.

I didn't really have a problem with the first act of Hobbit, but that was from the standpoint of someone who has read the book a few times and appreciated it being faithful. Especially with the introduction of the dwarves.
Old 06-12-13, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Beyond possibly using some of his leftover ideas, not much. Remember, he was originally the director and his take was a radical departure from Jackson's LOTR trilogy and the source material itself. For instance, Del Toro wanted Thorin to have a giant crown of thorns because he felt Thorin sounded like thorn.

I must admit, I'd like to see Del Toro's trippy take on the book but can also understand why it's best he stepped down.
He was credited on the first film's script.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm surprised no one mentioned Beorn. He's there!
He looked like Fluffy's head from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I'm wondering why he was attacking them.

I also like the scenes with Lee Pace as Thranduil. I think he's gonna kick some ass. Did you guys see his double swords on his back?
I should reread the book, I'd completely forgotten who he was. Jackson's Battle of Five Armies should be all forms of badassery.

The Necromancer will also reveal himself.
In this one or the next? I'm curious how they'll get this into three films. Presumably the White Council stuff will be a significant amount of the second. They'll probably wrap up that all of the post-Smaug stuff (lest I forget, there's plenty of it) in the third.

Originally Posted by arminius
Also the CGI elves jumping through the trees reminded me of the last Indiana Jones movie.
I doubt it'll be that bad. At least I actually care about these characters. Though there is no doubt that the CG overload in these movies might be costing the action sequences a lot of weight. Why they're doing it that way after having done so many practical stunts in the LOTR trilogy, I don't know.

Beyond possibly using some of his leftover ideas, not much. Remember, he was originally the director and his take was a radical departure from Jackson's LOTR trilogy and the source material itself. For instance, Del Toro wanted Thorin to have a giant crown of thorns because he felt Thorin sounded like thorn.
I...did not hear about that. I'm kind of glad it will be Jackson's vision for all six films, on account of how much I love it. Obviously, for people who don't like his version, probably not so much. But I hadn't heard that del Toro's vision would've been so different. I really don't think that High Fantasy kind of stuff is his sort of thing, so it'll probably be just as well.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I must have had a lower definition version of the trailer as I didn't see much of Smaug. What I saw was his darkened silhouette with his eyes lit up and shining all over the place, like it was in the book. I thought it was effective, but I also saw a stillshot where his facial features seem more defined. Looking forward to hearing Benedict Cumberbatch's voice. For some reason his "You should have let me sleep" line for Into Darkness seems appropriate.
He and Freeman must not get much sleep. I'm glad they're both in this, but I want Sherlock season three, goddammit!

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
He was credited on the first film's script.
Yeah, and he's credited as "creative consultant" as well. Presumably they used some of his leftover design elements here and there and he worked on shaping the script into the form of three films.
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm surprised no one mentioned Beorn. He's there!
So that was him? I wondered since in the book only Bilbo
Spoiler:
saw Beorn in his bear form.
That's a pretty big change if so.
Old 06-12-13, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would crack up if Smaug gets a glimpse of Bilbo and instead of getting angry just says : "Watson?"
Old 09-30-13, 03:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

According to TheOneRing.net, the latest trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug will be released tomorrow, October 1, at 9am EST.
Old 09-30-13, 04:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

New theatrical banner:

Last edited by Sub-Zero; 09-30-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-30-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-01-13, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
It is a big departure from the book. They were just packed in the barrels and were in bad shape when Bilbo got them out at Laketown and the elves did not know they escaped. Here they are having a fine time riding in them
and fighting the elves on the way. Seems like a pointless change.

Well they do have to sell the lego barrel escape set!
Old 10-01-13, 08:33 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mbOEknbi4gQ?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-01-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Looks better than the last one.
Old 10-01-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Does anyone else think Tauriel (the Kate elf) isn't going to survive the trilogy?
Old 10-01-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Middle Earth: the land of one color.
Old 10-01-13, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Looks great!

Smaug speaks!
Old 10-01-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Awww ya Cumberbatch sounds awesome as Smaug
Old 10-01-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redrum
Awww ya Cumberbatch sounds awesome as Smaug
Hell yeah! Perfect choice for that role.

Overall, this looks better than the last one, except....a romantic subplot for Legolas? Why PJ, why?
Old 10-01-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Overall, this looks better than the last one, except....a romantic subplot for Legolas? Why PJ, why?
Gotta add something to pad the run time to 3+ hours.
Old 10-01-13, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Gotta add something to pad the run time to 3+ hours.
Again, why 3+ hours? I hope that's not the run time and it's more like the 2 hours , 45 minutes of the predecessor. Also, how come PJ can make a 3 hour fantasy out of something minute and it most likely gets to go into release on schedule while Martin Scorsese has to trim his 3 hour version of Wolf of Wall Street?

I actually see this one doing about the same as Unexpected Journey worldwide, but not as well domestically due to the release of Anchorman 2 the week after.
Old 10-01-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Again, why 3+ hours? I hope that's not the run time and it's more like the 2 hours , 45 minutes of the predecessor.
I don't know, I was just being sarcastic.

I'm probably not the best person to ask either. While I enjoyed the first Hobbit movie, I'm still in the "It should have only been two 2 hour films" camp. I don't see the need to add in the stuff from the appendices just for shits and giggles.
Old 10-01-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Does anyone else think Tauriel (the Kate elf) isn't going to survive the trilogy?
Pretty much sealed her fate when they pointed out that Legolas was in love with her.
Old 10-01-13, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, my guess is
Spoiler:
she dies in the Battle of Five Armies.
Because the first thing on everyone's mind in LOTR was why Legolas didn't have a woman.
Old 10-01-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Also, how come PJ can make a 3 hour fantasy out of something minute and it most likely gets to go into release on schedule while Martin Scorsese has to trim his 3 hour version of Wolf of Wall Street?
There's a few factors. First, The Hobbit films are a prequel to an existing trilogy, one that had films that were 3+ hours long even after cutting material from the books. So there's some expectation that a LOTR film = 3 hours. On a related note, LOTR was already very successful at that length, so the studio has some faith that long prequel films could be very successful at that length as well.

Secondly, the decision to expand The Hobbit to 3 films meant that if each one clocked in at only around 2 hours, people would've complained that they could've easily made two 3 hour films instead. So the late decision to expand it to a trilogy kind of enforced that idea of adding material so that the length of each film justified a trilogy.

Finally, I think there's an expectation that "epic = long." If the story is big in scope (settings, people, effects, etc.), then it should be big in length as well. They've inflated the Hobbit to be the prequel to LOTR, where the actions in these films set the events in LOTR in motion, so they're epics.
Old 10-01-13, 10:40 PM
Banned

Because the first thing on everyone's mind in LOTR was why Legolas didn't have a woman.
The first thing on my mind was why didn't Gimli ever have a love interest.

Poor Gimli. He needs a female dwarf to .

There are 12 male dwarves in The Hobbit. Why no female dwarves? We need some dwarven orgy scenes!
Old 10-01-13, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by taffer
The first thing on my mind was why didn't Gimli ever have a love interest.

There are 12 male dwarves in The Hobbit. Why no female dwarves?
Maybe they're going with what Gimli told Eowyn, about people thinking Dwarf women didn't exist because their appearance was so similar to the men.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.