Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
Maybe they're going with what Gimli told Eowyn, about people thinking Dwarf women didn't exist because their appearance was so similar to the men.
Except that you see Dwarf women in the prologue of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey when they show you the city of Dale during the prologue. They're easy not to notice since it's a quick tracking shot. And they don't have beards, despite Aragon's joking comment to the contrary in TTT.
Old 10-01-13, 11:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
Maybe they're going with what Gimli told Eowyn, about people thinking Dwarf women didn't exist because their appearance was so similar to the men.
Yep. I never actually read the LOTR books so I don't know if there are any female dwarves in them, but I did play a lot of D&D when I was younger. D&D in very heavily inspired by LOTR, and female dwarves in D&D are just as ugly and hairy as the males.

Speaking of D&D, I'm surprised that after the success of Peter Jackson's LOTR that nobody ever thought of greenlighting some movies based on the Drizzt books.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Except that you see Dwarf women in the prologue of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey when they show you the city of Dale during the prologue. They're easy not to notice since it's a quick tracking shot. And they don't have beards, despite Aragon's joking comment to the contrary in TTT.
I never noticed them. The whole thing with some dwarves lacking beards in The Hobbit always did bother the dwarf purist in me. Dwarves without huge beards are blasphemy. In the Drizzt books, there is one dwarf in the party who is always trying to get the human female in the party to grow a beard. He gives her these cooky potions and things to make her grow a beard.
Old 10-01-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
I never noticed them.
They're easy to miss since the shot of them is only a few seconds long. When you first see the streets of Dale, notice the short women amidst very tall men. The really tall men are supposed to be regular humans who live in Dale and the short women are Dwarf shopkeepers. They seem to be selling some silken fabrics (which I'd never associate with Dwarves but perhaps they sold it rather than make it).

Originally Posted by taffer
The whole thing with some dwarves lacking beards in The Hobbit always did bother the dwarf purist in me. Dwarves without huge beards are blasphemy. In the Drizzt books, there is one dwarf in the party who is always trying to get the human female in the party to grow a beard. He gives her these cooky potions and things to make her grow a beard.
It's even weirder when the book makes a point of their beards being so long that they'd touch the ground whenever they would bow in greeting towards Bilbo or anyone else to whom they were showing genuine courtesy. But I quickly let it go as the movie went on.
Old 10-02-13, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Are you sure about that? I was watching it in the theater and it looked like at least one of the dwarf women had a faint, wispy beard.

Meant to check the blu-ray, but never got around to it.
Old 10-02-13, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Are you sure about that? I was watching it in the theater and it looked like at least one of the dwarf women had a faint, wispy beard.

Meant to check the blu-ray, but never got around to it.
I'll check right now. Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Well it seems that some Dwarf women have wispy mutton chops (but never full on beards) and some don't. In the first shot within the streets of Dale, you see two Dwarf women as the camera pans. I had to go frame-by-frame because the halation in the shot makes it difficult to see their wispy mutton chops. The second shot shows a closer shot of a blonde Dwarf woman (the one selling fabrics) and she has no facial hair whatsoever. As the camera pans left in this second shot, you see a brunette Dwarf woman (this one selling jewelry) and she has a very thin wispy version of Wolverine's signature mutton chops.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-02-13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-02-13, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Trailer was awesome. Looking forward to it!
Old 10-02-13, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

God I wish he'd shot this trilogy on 35mm like the last one. Fun trailer, obviously this whole thing is going to be a massive study in excess and people who dislike Jackson will find lots of pretty legitimate criticisms to throw at it, but I hate waiting a year between each one, and I think that's compliment. Flaws and all, I enjoyed the hell out of An Unexpected Journey, and I expect to do the same with the other two. I'm thinking of holding off on the BRs of LOTR to see if there's a big mega ultra 16+ disc box when both trilogies are done.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Middle Earth: the land of one color.
The color scheme has never bothered me all that much, it's not annoyingly washed out and bleached like some movies are. Peter Jackson isn't Douglas Sirk or anything, but I've always thought it was colorful without dipping into looking like a comic book.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 10-02-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-02-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
God I wish he'd shot this trilogy on 35mm like the last one.
Why? The LOTR trilogy was almost entirely scanned and finished digitally.
Old 10-02-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why? The LOTR trilogy was almost entirely scanned and finished digitally.
Yeah, but wasn't it shot on 35mm and then cut, color-timed, etc. in post digitally? I could be entirely wrong, I just thought it was. I thought it gave it a slightly richer and more earthy look than the fully digital 4K stuff he's doing now. Although maybe Jackson has become even more obsessed with digital effects in the interim period or the LOTR trilogy just hasn't aged as well as I remember, I haven't seen it in some time. My eyes aren't very well-trained, so it's entirely possible.
Old 10-02-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but wasn't it shot on 35mm and then cut, color-timed, etc. in post digitally?
Yes, but I think only at 2K.

I thought it gave it a slightly richer and more earthy look than the fully digital 4K stuff he's doing now.
Technically, he's now shooting in 5K, since he's using RED Epics. Also, going digital is pretty much a requirement for shooting in 3D, it reduces a lot of the stability and sync issues that shooting 3D on film had.

Also, going digital allowed him to shoot in 48fps. It theoretically would've been possible to shoot on film at 48fps, but the extra cost in film would've been a deterrent.

As for the look, I'm not seeing that much of a difference in the trailers (although watching part 1 in 48fps certainly made it look different). It's possible that any differences could be more due to changes in lighting or post processing than due to being shot digitally.
Old 10-02-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but I think only at 2K.
Wasn't that standard for digital projectors at the time? It would also technically be 35mm as the source format, wouldn't it?

Technically, he's now shooting in 5K, since he's using RED Epics.
I didn't know there was such a thing as 5K.

Also, going digital is pretty much a requirement for shooting in 3D, it reduces a lot of the stability and sync issues that shooting 3D on film had.
Well, I hate 3-D anyway, so... . Obviously, he's the director, it's his film, I just saw the 2-D version and I thought it was fine.

Also, going digital allowed him to shoot in 48fps. It theoretically would've been possible to shoot on film at 48fps, but the extra cost in film would've been a deterrent.
Does digital have a frame rate the same way film would?? I heard nothing good about the 48 FPS version, but I had no interest in bothering with it.

As for the look, I'm not seeing that much of a difference in the trailers (although watching part 1 in 48fps certainly made it look different). It's possible that any differences could be more due to changes in lighting or post processing than due to being shot digitally.
Are you referring to the difference between the look of the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit trilogy or the difference in look between the first film and the trailer for the second?
Old 10-02-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I didn't mind the changing of the dwarves' beards as much as the apparent need they felt to make some of them look like matinee idol heroes. If you look at FOTR, the dwarves shown in that all appear like Gimli (i.e. bushy beards and gruff looking). Whereas in Hobbit they vary with some looking more like 90s rock stars.
Old 10-02-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't that standard for digital projectors at the time? It would also technically be 35mm as the source format, wouldn't it?
I think 2K digital projectors were standard, but it would've been possible to print out 4K back to film, which is what most theaters still projected back then. Also, technically, I think you would say that LOTR was "shot on film," but calling film the "source" is a bit nebulous, since the final version of the film exists originally as a DI.

I didn't know there was such a thing as 5K.
There's all sorts of K's. It just refers to the horizontal resolution, whether ~2000 pixels, ~4000 pixels, or whatever. 2K and 4K are more standard, but there's also 3K, 4.5K, 5K, 6K, 8K, etc. The Epic can shoot at 5K, although for screening on a digital projector it'd have to be downconverted to 2K or 4K:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RED_Dig...c-M_and_Epic-X

Does digital have a frame rate the same way film would?? I heard nothing good about the 48 FPS version, but I had no interest in bothering with it.
I think I lot of the reaction was due to it being different that what we've been trained all our lives to expect a movie to look like in regards to motion and blur. Here's an article that discusses it:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/ask-a...rame-rate.html

Personally, I sought out The Hobbit in 48fps as a new experience, and while I think I was initially put off by it, I got more and more used to it as the film went on.

Are you referring to the difference between the look of the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit trilogy or the difference in look between the first film and the trailer for the second?
The difference between the LOTR trilogy and the Hobbit trilogy.
Old 10-02-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I didn't mind the changing of the dwarves' beards as much as the apparent need they felt to make some of them look like matinee idol heroes. If you look at FOTR, the dwarves shown in that all appear like Gimli (i.e. bushy beards and gruff looking). Whereas in Hobbit they vary with some looking more like 90s rock stars.
Well the books make a point of how the Dwarves love to groom their beards. You see that in Gimli and the few FOTR Dwarves but they had a very Viking look to them. In these new films the grooming is very flamboyant. But I guess it's to show these aren't your typical Dwarves, like those seen briefly in the prologue of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

But, although I like the characters, what bothers me is what I call the "Heartthrob" Dwarves:

I get that Fili and Kili are Thorin's nephews so they were bound to be made "pretty" the moment they chose to make Thorin a guy for the girls to swoon over. But It bugs me that the three don't look like Dwarves at all.

The rest don't bother me at all:

And I really like Bofur even though he too looks far afield from your typical Dwarf:

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-02-13 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-03-13, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I think they did a good job with the Dwarves. There are thirteen of them, and the design team made them each visually distinct.

If all of the Dwarves had big bushy beards it would hide their faces and they would all look sort of silly walking around with these big fake ZZ Topp beards, and they would all sort of blend together.

I can understand why they made Thorin 'handsome' since he's the head Dwarf and viewers wouldn't sympathize with him if he was ugly. It's the same reason the Navi in Avatar were still anthropomorphic and weren't grotesque or had four arms (like other animals on the planet).
Old 10-03-13, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get the reasoning behind the unique looks. And for the most part I like the looks they gave them.

However, I feel they made Thorin too handsome. I get they wanted him to be "relatable" but I feel they went too far into leading man territory with his look.
Old 10-03-13, 09:11 AM
Banned

Yeah, the "handsome" dwarves bother me too. Dwarves are mountain-dwelling miners. They aren't going to be well groomed. Dwarves are supposed to be ugly. They're the polar opposite of elves. Elves are the beautiful nature-loving treehuggers. Dwarves are the ugly mountain-dwelling miners.

It would have been possible to make 13 dwarves visually distinct and still have them all with big beards. Dwarves take pride in their big beards. Its one of the distinctive characteristics of a dwarf. A dwarf without a big beard is like an elf without pointy ears.

Thorin, as their king, should have had the biggest, most elaborate beard of them all. A true dwarf king would. Thorin looks more like a really short man than a dwarf king.

I guess to a casual watcher of the movies this would probably seem like stupid stuff to argue, but as a person who played a ton of D&D as a kid several of these Hobbit movie dwarves are just very poorly designed and it bothers the heck out of me.
Old 10-03-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think 2K digital projectors were standard, but it would've been possible to print out 4K back to film, which is what most theaters still projected back then.
When did digital become prominent?

Also, technically, I think you would say that LOTR was "shot on film," but calling film the "source" is a bit nebulous, since the final version of the film exists originally as a DI.
Would that mean that the negative footage, dailies, etc. are still "raw" and were never photochemically timed, cut, etc?

There's all sorts of K's. It just refers to the horizontal resolution, whether ~2000 pixels, ~4000 pixels, or whatever. 2K and 4K are more standard, but there's also 3K, 4.5K, 5K, 6K, 8K, etc. The Epic can shoot at 5K, although for screening on a digital projector it'd have to be downconverted to 2K or 4K:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RED_Dig...c-M_and_Epic-X
Doesn't there come a juncture where it's pointless though? I mean, wouldn't there come a point where you'd have squeezed ever possible bit of visual information out of the image?

I think I lot of the reaction was due to it being different that what we've been trained all our lives to expect a movie to look like in regards to motion and blur. Here's an article that discusses it:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/12/ask-a...rame-rate.html
Does digital have a "framerate" in the same way that film would? I assume there's some sort of physical media upon which it's captured besides a hard drive.

Personally, I sought out The Hobbit in 48fps as a new experience, and while I think I was initially put off by it, I got more and more used to it as the film went on.
Like I said, I was the 2-D version at my local AMC, presumably 4K or 2K, I thought it looked fine to me.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think they did a good job with the Dwarves. There are thirteen of them, and the design team made them each visually distinct.
To be fair, Tolkien doesn't exactly make them bristle with personality in the novel either.

I can understand why they made Thorin 'handsome' since he's the head Dwarf and viewers wouldn't sympathize with him if he was ugly.
Thorin is a fallen king too. If I remember correctly, in the book, he's rather scraggly from having lost everything, but the film gives him a very regal, slightly elegant look and feel. I think it'll actually have more impact when he becomes a bit more narrow-minded after the Battle of Five Armies in the second and third films.
Old 10-03-13, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

is that a rhetorical question or do you really want someone to answer?
Old 10-03-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a rough timeline:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_cinema
By December 2000, there were 15 digital cinema screens in North America....

By mid 2006, about 400 theaters were equipped with 2K digital projectors with the number increasing every month....

In March 2009 AMC Theatres announced that it [would] replace all of its movie projectors with 4K digital projectors starting in the second quarter of 2009 and completing in 2012...

By June 2010, there were close to 16,000 digital cinema screens, with over 5000 of them being stereoscopic [aka 3D] setups...
So it looks like around 2006 was the tipping point. I recall Lucas was keen on Revenge of the Jedi (2005) being released all digitally, but I don't think that happened.

Would that mean that the negative footage, dailies, etc. are still "raw" and were never photochemically timed, cut, etc?
Correct, the original negative was scanned in, and all post-processing was done digitally. I think FOTR had only a fraction done digitally at first, but they went back and did it all digitally before the Blu-ray release.

Doesn't there come a juncture where it's pointless though? I mean, wouldn't there come a point where you'd have squeezed ever possible bit of visual information out of the image?
I guess it depends on what you're referring to as "the image." If it's a digital camera capturing the real world, then the limit on what image information it could capture extends down to literally the atomic level. This is why we have things like a 41MP camera phone (7728 x 5368, or near 8K).

It's a bit like asking if there's a limit on making film grain smaller. The finer the grain, the better the detail, whether you get that from better film stock or a bigger film frame (70mm vs 35mm).

If you're talking about scanning in film to digital, there may be limits. The film grain defines the limit on the detail in a film image, so you'd want a digital resolution with parity to the film grain. Some think that's 4K for 35mm film, some 6K.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=57063
According to Lowry, the only benefit of a 6K transfer over 4K might be some slight bit of detail in the noise floor: 4K resolution is already getting lost in the film grain.
Finally, there's the question of what the average human eye could perceive in a given image. Both image size and resolution affect this. At a certain point, at a given distance for a given image size, most people aren't going to notice an increase in resolution. But if you make the image larger, you're going to need a higher resolution. For example, 8K digital is considered what is necessary to get the level of detail 70mm film provides.

Does digital have a "framerate" in the same way that film would? I assume there's some sort of physical media upon which it's captured besides a hard drive.
Yes, digital is still a series of still frames, exposed for a set amount of time, several times a second. The light enters the camera and hits a sensor which converts the light into an electronic signal, which is then stored onto some physical media, whether tape, hard drive, memory card, etc. More info on how digital camers work here:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...al-camera2.htm
Old 10-04-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Beorn does not look how I imagined.

Old 10-04-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Looks like he escaped from the island of Dr. Moreau, or an 80s hair band.
Old 10-04-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks like he escaped from the island of Dr. Moreau, or an 80s hair band.
I think both options are correct.
Old 10-05-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Beorn looks awesome.
Old 10-05-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he looks pretty good, but I do have to admit that in the second pic, he looks kind of like a slightly furry MacGyver:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.