Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Man of Steel?
Up, up, and away! It was great!
35.94%
It's a bird! It's a plane! It was good. Not great.
32.29%
This is a job for...not really. It was just ok.
16.15%
Can you read my mind? I didn't like it.
10.94%
I'll wait for it on BD
4.69%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Man of Steel - The Reviews Thread

Old 06-24-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Man of Steel - The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I was also a little confused about the Phantom Zone. Was it still a parallel dimension? Zod seemed to indicate that his people were adrift in the vicinity of destroyed Krypton, but managed to reverse engineer the phantom drive to get back, but I don't understand how they got free in the first place... surely the destruction of Krypton wouldn't have affected them in the Phantom Zone?

What prevents the other military Kryptonians from breaching the Phantom Zone again? Don't they now have two Phantom Drives, and no restraints? Granted it took them 30+ years to get out, but still. Are the humans alive there too?
I think the machine that open the portal to the phantom zone got damaged when Krypton exploded and allow for zod to come out... they reverse engineered the phantom drive to get to earth once Kal accidently activated the beacon on the scout ship.
Old 06-24-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought they reverse engineered it before the beacon stuff, just to search for colonies.
Old 06-24-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Another reason MOS suffered is that the novelty of believing a man can fly has worn off in the last 35 years. It was a big deal in '78 and thus the tagline for the movie. That moment when Supes first takes to the air in the Fortress of Solitude after his journey with Jor-El -- magical.

35 years later and essentially the same scene -- not so much.
I actually thought that was a great scene. But I'm still a sucker for Superman's first flight.

Originally Posted by csant View Post
I think the machine that open the portal to the phantom zone got damaged when Krypton exploded and allow for zod to come out... they reverse engineered the phantom drive to get to earth once Kal accidently activated the beacon on the scout ship.
Ah, ok, that makes some sense, although in that case how did they get through their restraints? And why restrain them and send them into another zone, which is basically just through an orbiting door? Is that just a way of adding prison space or something?
Old 06-24-13, 09:48 AM

I actually thought that was a great scene. But I'm still a sucker for Superman's first flight.
Agree it was a decent scene...just that it's become so familiar -- even expected. Adapting to one's superpowers for the first time (Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.). My only point was that the novelty and sense of magic has worn off. Not necessarily a fault of MOS, just something it suffers from given the age we live in with modern superheroes.
Old 06-24-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not even necessarily superhero movies, 'movie magic' in general has just lost some awe factor now that you just think everything can be done with a computer.
Old 06-24-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I thought they reverse engineered it before the beacon stuff, just to search for colonies.

Your right, forgot about that part.
Old 06-24-13, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
Yeah, the thing about Pa Kent's death in various other sources via a heart attack was that Superman is utterly helpless to prevent it.
If Superman really loved his Pa, then he could have reversed the Earth's rotation and gone back in time to stop him from eating junk food that clogged his arteries.
Old 06-24-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another reason MOS suffered is that the novelty of believing a man can fly has worn off in the last 35 years. It was a big deal in '78 and thus the tagline for the movie. That moment when Supes first takes to the air in the Fortress of Solitude after his journey with Jor-El -- magical.

35 years later and essentially the same scene -- not so much.
I watched the Superman documentary on the Ultimate Collection last night and the part on flying was very interesting.

Those throwing out the "Donner fanboys" item might want to watch the documentary too and see the blood, sweat, and tears it took to realize Superman and make it a reality.
Old 06-24-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I watched the Superman documentary on the Ultimate Collection last night and the part on flying was very interesting.

Those throwing out the "Donner fanboys" item might want to watch the documentary too and see the blood, sweat, and tears it took to realize Superman and make it a reality.
Those throwing out the "Donner fanboy" insults are just butthurt that everyone didn't just LOVE fucking MOS.
Old 06-24-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bet the "Donner fanboys" loved Lois and Clark from ABC days. lol =P

I could care less about Donner and Snyder or whatever. I enjoyed MoS and Im sure I thought what 78/79's superman was just as cool back then.
Old 06-24-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agree it was a decent scene...just that it's become so familiar -- even expected. Adapting to one's superpowers for the first time (Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.). My only point was that the novelty and sense of magic has worn off. Not necessarily a fault of MOS, just something it suffers from given the age we live in with modern superheroes.
Ah, ok, I can see that.

I can say that an overdose of CGI in recent years made that last fight with Zod (and even the one against the World Eater) kind of a chore to watch at times. I did like the fight with Na-mek (did Toriyama take that name as an homage? I know it comes from an old comic) and Faora, although it made no sense that they didn't finish Supes off even though Faora was down... don't they have an army of super soldiers?
Old 06-24-13, 10:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
That made no sense. How did that kid get super powers? I thought Clark had to give up being super to be with Lois. Either it's a flawed concept that was tacked on to add "drama", or his sperm stays super even when he's not.
That's one of many specifics that Singer didn't bother to address, which is why the film didn't do very well. He used the first two Reeve films as a "vague history", instead of creatively addressing such things. It became painfully obvious that Jason White was part Kryptonian when he threw that piano at Lex's goon, and no longer needed his inhaler. The problem was having so little revealed beforehand, because it makes the scene look like an afterthought.

Originally Posted by DieselsDen View Post
I don't think this clumsy scene deserves any emotional investment. It was just another large-scale destructive moment awkwardly executed to convey a moral which didn't make any logical or rational sense. The director really screwed up that moment.
I took it as a sort of Sarah Connor moment, where Jonathan held Clark back because he knew his son's destiny was so much more important than his own. People are often so callous and hateful toward things they don't understand, and it can take very little time for that fear to take hold. The military attacking Superman along with Faora was another sign of this.
Old 06-24-13, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not even necessarily superhero movies, 'movie magic' in general has just lost some awe factor now that you just think everything can be done with a computer.
I just listened to a podcast with Rick Moranis where they talked about Little Shop of Horrors - they had multiple puppeteers for each LIP of the "Feed Me" version of Audrey II. And they recorded (as in, performed) it at half speed because they couldn't move fast enough to keep up with the track.

It's still my favorite effect in any movie. They made the point that computers take the "special" out of "special effect".
Old 06-24-13, 10:45 AM
Banned

I could care less about Donner and Snyder or whatever.
If its possible for you to care less, then you do care...

Old 06-24-13, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But it wasn't like the people became tolerant over time. Was "the right time" supposed to be during an alien invasion when they had no other recourse? We also see Clark willfully defy his father after that point in time anyway (thankfully) by saving the people on the tanker. But through his years of wandering, he seemingly made no close connections, no connection to humanity; if anything, the Kents helped distance him from humanity. Are we supposed to believe that Lois was the key in changing this for him?

It made no sense for Jonathan to hold him back like that. Who knows what kind of psychological trauma could have been inflicted on this boy who willingly let his father die, with his last words to him being one of disrespect? And there was no big payoff, no right time for the world to accept him; in fact, it was in finding out what his destiny truly was that calamity was brought to the world. As you say, when he did reveal himself, people still didn't accept him. Contrast this with, say, Spider-man, who's guilt over letting his uncle die leads him to protect people even though they hate him.
Old 06-24-13, 10:51 AM
Banned

I bet the "Donner fanboys" loved Lois and Clark from ABC days. lol =P

I could care less about Donner and Snyder or whatever. I enjoyed MoS and Im sure I thought what 78/79's superman was just as cool back then.
Lois And Clark was a good show. Nowhere near the Donner movies, but a lot more like Superman than Man Of Steel was.... The Donner movies, and Lois And Clark WAS Superman. Man Of Steel was just an extremely badly done superhero movie where the main character just sort of looked like Superman.
Old 06-24-13, 11:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Lois And Clark was a good show. Nowhere near the Donner movies, but a lot more like Superman than Man Of Steel was.... The Donner movies, and Lois And Clark WAS Superman. Man Of Steel was just an extremely badly done superhero movie where the main character just sort of looked like Superman.
What "is" Superman? Superman has NEVER had a consistent character. NEVER. The original Siegel and Shuster Superman is VERY different in character and tone from the Donner Superman. In that regard, the Donner Superman is not truly Superman either and just as much a lookalike as you say the Snyder Superman is.

Contrast this with, say, Spider-man, who's guilt over letting his uncle die leads him to protect people even though they hate him.
Spider-Man didn't truly love his uncle or else he would have made a deal with the devil to bring him back to life, like Spidey did with his aunt.
Old 06-24-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Lois And Clark was a good show.
Yikes!
Old 06-24-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer View Post
What "is" Superman? Superman has NEVER had a consistent character. NEVER. The original Siegel and Shuster Superman is VERY different in character and tone from the Donner Superman. In that regard, the Donner Superman is not truly Superman either and just as much a lookalike as you say the Snyder Superman is.
I think this every time someone complains about superhero costumes - I'm always like "which costume? There are about a million for each major character".

People who think this Superman wasn't "right" are basing that on a particular interpretation of the character. There are many others (including the one in this movie). There is no "right" or "wrong" version...there are just different ones.
Old 06-24-13, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
There is no "right" or "wrong" version...there are just different ones.
There is a "wrong" Superman. This one:

Old 06-24-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

See, the thing is - no, it's not. It's just not a version anyone likes. But it's still Superman.
Old 06-24-13, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Can't watch something you don't own and have no intention of ever buying.
Old 06-24-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
See, the thing is - no, it's not. It's just not a version anyone likes. But it's still Superman.
Well, technically DC could slap the S symbol on a Kid Miracleman-like killer, and that would be Superman too. I understand what you're saying, so if I take MoS as just an extreme elseworlds, much like I treat the new 52, then maybe I can accept this.
Old 06-24-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, technically DC could slap the S symbol on a Kid Miracleman-like killer, and that would be Superman too. I understand what you're saying, so if I take MoS as just an extreme elseworlds, much like I treat the new 52, then maybe I can accept this.
That's how I deal with most super hero movies. The Marvel flicks are ULTIMATE crossed with WHAT IF? and DC movies are ELSEWORLD.
Old 06-24-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is so true. When I first saw what kind of realistic "cartoon" damage and destruction can be done in a film like TRANSFORMERS, I was bowled over. With very few exceptions, most models and replicas of building falling down and streets being leveled just don't look as impressive (even the nuclear war dream sequence in T2 isn't perfect).

Now, all the explosions and collapsing look great, but look alike. You can intercut the fight scenes in MoS with the climaxes from TRANSFORMER and AVENGERS and not be able to tell much of a difference. All the bombastic sensory overload ends up numbing the viewer. It's too bad because the sense of wonder has definitely been cheapened.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.