Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Springsteen & I (2013) (D: Walsh; P: Scott) - Documentary

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-24-13, 12:26 PM

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,123 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HVQUeCi9V0s?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Springsteen & I is an upcoming documentary-biographical film directed by Baillie Walsh documenting the life and career of Bruce Springsteen through the eyes and insights of his fans throughout the world. The film will be released on July 22, 2013 simultaneously via a worldwide cinema broadcast.

In November 2012 Walsh, along with producer Ridley Scott through the production companies Ridley Scott Associates, Black Dog Films and Scott Free Productions announced their plans for the making of the documentary, which Walsh said inspired by the award-winning film, Life in a Day. Walsh will use only fan submitted video and photographs where fans will provide their most personal insights, abstractions and reflections on how Bruce Springsteen and his music has affected their lives.

Walsh stated "We are searching for a wide variety of creative interpretations, captured in the most visually exciting way you can think of, whether you've been a hardcore Tramp since '73 or have heard one of his songs for the first time today! If you have a parent, a sibling, a neighbor or a colleague who has an interesting tale, we want to know about them. If you can't use a camera or are not sure how to capture your story then get in touch and we will link you up with someone who can!"

The production team will edit the footage to feature length and are therefore requesting that submissions be raw footage rather than edited material. As well as moving image accounts on camera, the filmmakers are looking for fans to provide photographs, old footage or audio narration to help them build up a picture of what the acclaimed songwriter and musician means to them. Movie and image files will be able to be quickly uploaded through the film’s website springsteenandi.com by following simple online instructions. Ideally, the higher quality the footage the better, but the producers stress that any equipment, from smartphones to hi-def cameras are accepted – as long as they are all under 5 minutes in length.

Submissions for the film were accepted from November 15, 2012 through November 29, 2012. Walsh then edited the footage together for the film's 2013 release.
Old 05-24-13, 12:34 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Springsteen & I (2013) (D: Walsh; P: Scott) - Documentary

I hope a lot of people send in videos telling him he has pretty much sucked since the 80's.
Old 05-24-13, 01:24 PM
RIP

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 05-24-13, 01:39 PM

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I hope a lot of people send in videos telling him he has pretty much sucked since the 80's.
They wont, because he hasn't.
Old 05-24-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 547 Likes on 445 Posts

Love Springsteen. I'm definitely in for this, can't wait!!
Old 05-24-13, 03:01 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I wonder if Courtney Cox sent in some footage?
Old 05-24-13, 03:47 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
They wont, because he hasn't.
Please name all the albums he's released that are better than Born to Run and The River and Nebraska and all his 80's output.

Also, I have the Springsteen channel on Sirrius and they play his current live shows that he's so acclaimed for and they seem really insufferable. He's still doing his little "raps" to the audience that are so lame. He tells the same earnest stories every night at every show. Don't all these "Tramps" or whatever his parrotheads call themselves get tired of hearing the same story every night? Once you hear a story twice it becomes impossible to not notice how phoney he is.
Old 05-25-13, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Please name all the albums he's released that are better than Born to Run and The River and Nebraska and all his 80's output.

Also, I have the Springsteen channel on Sirrius and they play his current live shows that he's so acclaimed for and they seem really insufferable. He's still doing his little "raps" to the audience that are so lame. He tells the same earnest stories every night at every show. Don't all these "Tramps" or whatever his parrotheads call themselves get tired of hearing the same story every night? Once you hear a story twice it becomes impossible to not notice how phoney he is.
I think The Rising was the album of the aughts, its power still gets me. Just because my favorite album of his came out in 1978, doesn't mean that his new albums are bad.

I saw Bruce twice last year and both times he did the "rap" during My City of Ruins. The first time focused on the loss of Clarence and Danny, the second time the focus was more on the loss we have all experienced. Both times gave me chills. No complaints about seeing it twice.
Old 05-25-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wrecking Ball is a great album, I love listening to it top to bottom, a lot of great songs.
Old 05-25-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Springsteen has really had a pretty consistent career if you ask me with more hit albums than miss ones. I love his older material but a lot of his new stuff is really good too. The Rising was really damn good as were Magic and Wrecking Ball. He's still one performer on my "bucket list" of bands to see that I haven't gotten to yet.
Old 05-25-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Human Touch/Lucky Town is his only misfire in 40 years as a recording artist.
Old 05-26-13, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
Human Touch/Lucky Town is his only misfire in 40 years as a recording artist.
Even I will admit that Working On A Dream was pretty mediocre.
Old 05-26-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
Even I will admit that Working On A Dream was pretty mediocre.
I didn't like it quite as much as some of his more recent output but there are some songs on there I don't mind. It starts out pretty strong with Outlaw Pete, My Lucky Day, Working on a Dream, Queen of the Supermarket, and What Love Can Do then it gets kind of weak for the second half other than the songs Surprise, Surprise and The Wrestler.
Old 05-26-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Was that David Beckham I saw in the trailer?
Old 05-26-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I didn't like it quite as much as some of his more recent output but there are some songs on there I don't mind. It starts out pretty strong with Outlaw Pete, My Lucky Day, Working on a Dream, Queen of the Supermarket, and What Love Can Do then it gets kind of weak for the second half other than the songs Surprise, Surprise and The Wrestler.
See I might disagree with you on Surprise Surprise but then I'd add Life Itself and The Last Carnival to your list of standout tracks.

If I had to pick a Springsteen album as the worst from his more recent work I'd pick Working on a Dream but I'd still list it as a very good album, and I'm not one of these "bad BLANK is still pretty damn good" nerds because the aforementioned HT/LT debacle shows that bad Springsteen really can be quite bad. To me there isn't even a single mediocre album between the two of them, and if you were to even dip into outtakes from the two albums you wouldn't be able to come up with something half as good as WOAD.

I will say this: Sad Eyes is the one great song from the HT/LT era that I would call great without hesitation. I might even put it on a top ten Springsteen list if I were inclined to make one. And it didn't make either album. "Real Man" did though. Fucking "Real Man."
Old 05-26-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 109 Posts

Shouldn't it be Springsteen and Me?