Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Coltrane, Hawke, P. Arquette)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Coltrane, Hawke, P. Arquette)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Via Collider.com

Growing Up (aka Boyhood) stars Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette as a divorced couple raising their son, and Linklater and his actors have been shooting scenes for the film every year since 2002, as the story traces the boy’s life from first grade to 12th grade.

"We’re kind of stuck in a chronology of age, so I think I’d like to be done with it next year. I think it would be great if it came out in 2014. I’m not totally sure, but that seems about right.”

“[It’s] pretty close [to my original plan]. Believe it or not, every project is basically as designed. When people ask anything like what you said, of course. To me, film is all about structure and planning, and trying to get it exactly the way you’re thinking of it. The process was what it was about, so I’m not really surprised that it’s pretty much an exploration of what I thought it would be.”

“It’s one feature film. It’ll be a little longer, like over two hours, but it’s not five hours or eight hours. It’s feature length.”

I've never even heard of this. I think it's a pretty great idea, and in the hands of Linklater, there's some great potential for a very interesting and unique piece. Sure, the actors will age a bit, but it's going to be wild to see this kid age on screen. I hope he's able to get it out as soon as he'd like.
Old 05-22-13, 03:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Growing Up - Filmed over the past 10 years (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

Wasn't Kubrick planning a movie like this?
Old 05-22-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Growing Up - Filmed over the past 10 years (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

Wow, that would have been something to see. The way he was though, I wonder if he would have been able to stick with it over the 10 years or dropped it after a year or two.
Old 05-22-13, 03:41 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I've been following this for 10 years. I am anxiously awaiting it.
Old 05-23-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, cool concept. Hopefully it doesn't suck ass.
Old 05-23-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Heh. I remember when he was talking about this ten years ago. Didn't know he was making it happen.
Old 05-23-13, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. Hope it is a good one.
Old 06-06-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

Hawke recently took part in a Reddit AMA and when asked about the status of this film, he shared his experience making, and more crucially, revealed that it's actually nearing the finish line. Here's his full answer:

First up, I guess I should tell people what BOYHOOD is. It's a project also known as THE TWELVE YEAR PROJECT; Richard Linklater and I have made a short film every year for the last 11 years, one more to go, that follows the development of a young boy from age 6 to 18. I play the father, and it's Tolstoy-esque in scope. I thought the BEFORE series was the most unique thing I would ever be a part of, but Rick has engaged me in something even more strange. Doing a scene with a young boy at the age of 7 when he talks about why do raccoons die, and at the age of 12 when he talks about video games, and 17 when he asks me about girls, and have it be the same actor - to watch his voice and body morph - it's a little bit like timelapse photography of a human being. I can't wait for people to see it.

Next year, he will graduate high school and we will finish the film. It will probably come out in 2 years.

It's interesting to note that it's "a short film every year," perhaps suggesting a chaptered structure to the film, which would make a lot of sense. And if you think this will be epic, it likely will be, with Linklater saying previously the film will be "two and a half hours long, minimum." Damn. Moreover, it looks like he has already been editing as he's been going along. "I’ve seen the first cut of the first seven years," Hawke said in 2010. "And it’s definitely one of the most interesting things I have ever been a part of, no doubt...About 20 minutes, your eyes just start tearing up and you don’t even know why. It’s about the nature of time and how it’s crashing into us all."

The Playlist
Old 01-13-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

2014 Sundance Film Festival to Host Special Preview Screenings of Boyhood by Richard Linklater

Boyhood / U.S.A. (Director and screenwriter: Richard Linklater) — Filmed over short periods from 2002 to 2013, Boyhood is a groundbreaking cinematic experience covering 12 years in the life of a family. At the center is Mason, who with his sister Samantha, are taken on an emotional and transcendent journey through the years, from childhood to adulthood. Cast: Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Ellar Coltrane, Lorelei Linklater.

Looks like the official title is Boyhood if someone wants to change it in the thread title. Really looking forward to this.
Old 01-13-14, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to see this just the concept is so unique.
Old 01-13-14, 02:47 PM

Can't fucking wait.
Old 01-13-14, 02:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over the past 10 years (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

This sounds really cool. I'm glad I didn't have to wait 12 years for it.
Old 01-13-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over a 10 year span (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

2hr 44mins per the Sundance website.
Old 01-14-14, 09:13 AM

Re: Boyhood - Filmed over a 10 year span (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

Old 01-14-14, 09:43 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

From those pictures alone, this looks like a much sadder movie than I'm excited to see. And yet, the filmmaking concept is brilliant. Count me in.

Last edited by story; 01-14-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 01:26 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over the past 10 years (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P.Arquette)

Originally Posted by Dan
This sounds really cool. I'm glad I didn't have to wait 12 years for it.
Same here. As highly as I'm now anticipating this, I'm glad I knew nothing of it 5+ years ago.
Old 01-14-14, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by IIG
Same here. As highly as I'm now anticipating this, I'm glad I knew nothing of it 5+ years ago.
You're lucky.
Old 01-14-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Judging by what I've seen on Boardwalk Empire, Patricia Arquette's ten year transformation is going to be interesting.
Old 01-14-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Judging by what I've seen on Boardwalk Empire, Patricia Arquette's ten year transformation is going to be interesting.
Especially standing next to Ethan Hawke

I'm curious about the behind the scenes elements of this movie, did they use the same film stock every year? How much was re-written as the years went on? Did any scenes need to be reshot the following year? Did they edit the scenes after filming each year or did they wait till it was all done?

This is a crazy project to wrap your mind around.
Old 01-14-14, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yea man... she's come a long way from a beautiful blonde with big tits and an ass that tastes like French vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by dex14; 01-20-14 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 11:14 AM

PARK CITY - The unexamined life, to tinker brashly with the words of Socrates, is not worth filming. That, at least, appears to be the key tenet behind much of Richard Linklater's work, in which ordinary lives are put under the most exacting of microscopes, and granted the level of scrutiny and detail usually reserved for the extraordinary. After the 18-year relationship study of the "Before" trilogy -- currently a trilogy, at any rate -- it seemed Linklater could hardly push his interest in magnified realism and time-lapse chronology any further. Turns out he can, and "Boyhood" is the extraordinary result.

If not exactly a secret – Linklater and star Ethan Hawke have alluded to it repeatedly in interviews over the years – “Boyhood” has nonetheless sounded like a kind of creative mirage: an ambitious pet project hinging on a stunt seemingly too clever to be true. Shot over a period of 12 years, using the same four principal actors throughout, it’s as literal a coming-of-age tale as has ever been conceived for cinema, with the fractured Texan family at its center growing up right before our eyes. Protagonist Mason (Ellar Coltrane, in the most long-gestating breakthrough performance of all time) enters the film a bright, thoughtful six-year-old; nearly three hours later, he leaves it a still-precocious young man on his first day of college.

His is the most radical, unnerving transmogrification, though it’s a film of several: even Ethan Hawke, playing Mason’s playful, semi-absent man-child of a dad, seems ageless for several years until, suddenly and quite strikingly, he isn’t. The title, indeed, is a bit of a misnomer, unequal to the project’s generous, wildly expansive scope: Mason's boyhood is but one arc in a film that observes how adults and children alike are forced to build and rebuild lives, personalities, families and homes, subtly redefining themselves as often as they more visibly change address, relationship status or hairdo. Now that “Boyhood” is with us, it seems positively bizarre that Linklater – whose work rate has been more or less consistent over the years, even if the work itself has not – could have kept it stewing so steadily on the back burner all this time as he busied himself with the lesser concerns of “The Bad News Bears” or “Me and Orson Welles.” How does work on this scale not consume its creator?

Yet it’s the casual ease of “Boyhood’s” construction, its lack of a specifically lofty artistic objective, that make it so effective: life at any stage isn’t lived according to a script, and Linklater’s loose, permeable narrative does its best to reflect that. Its closest cinematic forerunner, Michael Apted radical series of “7 Up” documentaries, has of course been defined entirely by its subjects’ life choices, though the application of the concept to fiction – and compressed into a single feature film, to boot – invites a very different questions of creative process. As with Francois Truffaut’s landmark Antoine Doinel series, how much “Boyhood” has been led by Linklater’s imagination and how much by the physical and psychological development of its own stars is all but impossible to determine.

Wherever the meeting point was, however, it was the right one. This yearly check-in process could have yielded chilly, laboratory-style results, but the film emerges as lively, messy, spontaneous: palpably and propulsively a movie rather than a lab experiment. It’d be mesmerizing even as a more static exercise, but “Boyhood” is a testament to just how much stuff happens even in purportedly unremarkable lives. The shape and nature of Mason’s home life, for starters, is in constant flux -- though the two constants are his mother Olivia (Patricia Arquette), a spiky divorcee whose no-nonsense smarts don’t extend to her catastrophic taste in men, and his older sister Samantha (played by Linklater’s own daughter Lorelei, with an early aptitude for testy irony).

Olivia’s decision to pack up the kids for Houston and re-start college is a decidedly mixed blessing. Studying psychology brings her the life she feels she deserves; marrying her boorish, abusive professor and merging her family with his certainly does not – the ensuing scenes between them play as landmines of conflict and, ultimately, plain terror in the middle of this otherwise rolling, sprightly chronicle. There’s further relocation and one more unwelcome stepfather to come, but Mason – his sensitive, laidback demeanor serving as oil to the water of any would-be authoritative paternal figure – learns to roll with the punches, acquiring an inner resilience that belies his soft-shell exterior. Watching Mason grow into his personality (part of it acquired, most of it rooted firmly in his younger self) is fascinating; with his liberal cool and quiet curiosity, he’s very much a 21st-century child, though he doesn’t seem molded by contemporary youth culture so much as lucky to be entering it at the right time.

One wonders how much of this character study has been influenced by Linklater’s own shifting relationship with his young leading man, who can’t have been cast with any degree of certainty over who or what he would become. That’s a thrilling risk for a filmmaker to take, and Coltrane rewards his director’s gumption by blossoming into an actor of genuine charisma, blessed with lanky physical grace and drolly behind-the-beat delivery. As he enters adulthood, it’s not hard to see how Mason might fit into the director’s 1991 debut “Slacker,” even if that film, somewhat alarmingly, precedes his entire life: whether by accident or design, Linklater has stumbled upon a perfectly Linklater-esque figure for his children's generation.

It’s compelling, too, to watch adult actors craft their characters on such a long-term basis: as in “Before Midnight” last year, the greying and fraying of Hawke’s hipster-dreamer persona seems part self-deprecating and part unconscious. Arquette, meanwhile, is tremendous, charting Olivia’s shift from overwhelmed single mom to sleek suburban bohemian to wry, hardened survivor – sliding back and forth between those poles as circumstances dictate – with unflagging good humor and ferocity.

The impressive continuity of the performances is matched by that of Linklater’s filmmaking: balletically edited with barely a trace of the disjointed process behind it, the film gives every impression of having been conceived and built as a single entity, so complementary and mutually fulfilling are its narratives and rhythms. (Only in Mason’s concluding, graduating year did I feel the length of the enterprise: it seems Linklater knew what he had on his hands by this point, and milks its significance ever so slightly.)

There is, of course, an incalculable time-capsule quality to the finished product, as a dozen years’ worth of popular and political culture is reflected in sundry incidental details on screen -- be it a faddish YouTube video, a naff bubble-style iMac or thankfully short-lived assimilation of the word “kewl” into the everyday lexicon. Linklater also has no need for chronological title cards when his typically astute, witty pop soundtrack does whatever work his actors’ sharply evolving faces cannot: here’s a film to remind us that Soulja Boy was once a thing, even if it can’t remind us why.

For any viewers much older than Mason is by the end of proceedings, “Boyhood” is at once a lovely and sobering snapshot of just how much life can be lived in a relatively short space of time. The film begins, as it happens, in a year when I was starting college myself; watching it, I could see where certain generational batons had been passed, in some cases into worthier hands. Improbably vast and beguilingly small, “Boyhood” is a film built on the past, but restless for the future. I wonder if Linklater can possibly bring himself to leave it alone.
Old 01-20-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds wonderful.
Old 04-25-14, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Ys-mbHXyWX4?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Ys-mbHXyWX4?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Oh man, this trailer really got to me. Can't wait to see this one.
Old 04-25-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Looks really good. Definitely one to check out when it's out.
Old 04-25-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.