Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Coltrane, Hawke, P. Arquette)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Coltrane, Hawke, P. Arquette)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Hawke, P. Arquette)

Saw this tonight and my wife and I both loved it. For me, it's the best family drama since You Can Count on Me. So many great scenes and great humor.

Giles, our audience took that discussion as a joke, since they were high.
Old 07-27-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Saw this today and I think the Academy should just give it Best Picture right now.

There are few truly unique movies in the history of cinema, but this is one.

And the 12 years of filming is just not a gimmick. It gives it a depth and realism and accuracy that would be impossible any other way.

Like last years Before movie (which was the best film I saw last year), it has the confidence to accept life and its infinite fallibility the way it is.

The excessive drinking and abuse and how instead of being a lesson drives further abuse.

The subtle way that Mason becomes a function of his upbringing, and even in under 3 hours we can see the full arc of his life and why he winds up where he is. It is literally like watching someone's life flash before your eyes.

Some with say there is no arc, but that is true to life. All the little things in the movie that could be foreshadowing of a future twist or path, that may or may not have an effect on the arc of the movie.

The fact that people consistently, especially Mom, make the same bad decisions over and over.

The casual way we compromise our lives as we get older, and one day realize that you never really went anywhere.

The palpable "realness" of the supporting people who move in and out of his life. Mason's senior's new wifes parents being a perfect example of that compromise and very very real people.

Just an unbelievable movie experience. I could sit an watch a 5 hour cut of this film and never be bored.

One technical note: this is the first movie I have ever experienced that captured the lighting and feel of a major sporting event. That was some brilliant cinematography, I have never seen a stadium scene that actually felt like a real stadium. Many other little touches like that.

Spoiler:
I also loved the true foreshadowing of the first scene, that Mason will always be a dreamer. A smart person, with talent, but someone like his father to ultimately live a mundane life,
Old 07-27-14, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just master class film making and screenwriting. I had high expectations going in and I still loved this movie. I'll admit that I unfortunately lost a little bit of interest in the last hour during high school years (maybe it's that I couldn't relate to the character so much), but part of that was just how much I enjoyed the first portion. Richard Linklater's vision really paid off nicely and was neat to watch the development of a person. A lot of nostalgia from early childhood and it's executed very well. Strong recommend.

8.5 / 10
Old 07-27-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnnysd
One technical note: this is the first movie I have ever experienced that captured the lighting and feel of a major sporting event. That was some brilliant cinematography, I have never seen a stadium scene that actually felt like a real stadium. Many other little touches like that.
Really interesting observation. I kind of took it for granted, but think you're right.
Old 07-29-14, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Well I guess I'm the party pooper. I was letdown by Boyhood. In a 3 hour movie I feel like there wasn't a moment of true insight into any of these characters. Nothing much changed for any of the characters. Just a sequence of arbitrarily occuring events linked together by the unique structure of the film.

Spoiler:
step dads a cliche drunk, cardboard cut out bullies at school, cartoonish restaurant boss at work

Everyone was just so one dimensional. It felt like a documentation of the straight ahead facts of the story. On this day, this happened, next year this happened. It refused to dig even an inch deeper into any of the characters in the film. I dunno. I had such high hopes for this, but it was a big letdown.
Old 07-29-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It starts Friday out here. Hoping to catch a showing.
Old 07-29-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this today and I think the Academy should just give it Best Picture right now.

There are few truly unique movies in the history of cinema, but this is one.

And the 12 years of filming is just not a gimmick. It gives it a depth and realism and accuracy that would be impossible any other way.
it has the confidence to accept life and its infinite fallibility the way it is.

The excessive drinking and abuse and how instead of being a lesson drives further abuse.

The subtle way that Mason becomes a function of his upbringing, and even in under 3 hours we can see the full arc of his life and why he winds up where he is. It is literally like watching someone's life flash before your eyes.
There's also a great moment when (mild spoiler)
Spoiler:
Mason jr's grandparents get him a Bible and a hunting rifle for a birthday, much to the displeasure of Mason sr who is shown to be very liberal
Old 07-29-14, 09:39 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
There's also a great moment when (mild spoiler)
Spoiler:
Mason jr's grandparents get him a Bible and a hunting rifle for a birthday, much to the displeasure of Mason sr who is shown to be very liberal
Spoiler:
I thought that was a tremendously genuine moment. I have known people just like that, and how awkward it can be to get gifts like that. In fact, I was given almost the exact bible at one point
Old 08-02-14, 03:39 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Loved it. Just an amazing film to watch. Linklater is such a great filmmaker. I just wanted to continue watching the story. I hope he considers a follow up project.

Also loved how the liquor store clerk from Dazed and Confused was the clerk in this.
Old 08-03-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoiler:
I thought that was a tremendously genuine moment. I have known people just like that, and how awkward it can be to get gifts like that. In fact, I was given almost the exact bible at one point
That scene was really, really well done. Yes, you might chuckle because it's something Mason is not going to use, but you go from wanting to ridicule the grandparents to realizing it's coming from such a place of love that you would be a monster if you did.
Old 08-03-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dex14

Also loved how the liquor store clerk from Dazed and Confused was the clerk in this.
Loved that too.
Old 08-03-14, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know where to find a list of theaters showing this??

Even on the official site, unless I am missing it, i can't find it anywhere..
Old 08-07-14, 02:43 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Just go ahead and give this a BEST PICTURE nomination at the Oscars. We should all be so lucky to witness this historic event movie.

So happy all the parties involved stayed with it for 12 years.

edit: saw Ethan Hawke on Conan, and he said Linklater told him to take over the project if he died during the 12-year process.
Old 08-07-14, 08:08 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

seeing this tomorrow. can't wait!!
Old 08-08-14, 09:43 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I got passes to a screening on Wednesday next week
Old 08-08-14, 03:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Coltrane, Hawke, P. Arquet

a very enjoyable concept that works thoroughly. very entertained!
Old 08-08-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Boyhood - Filmed over a 12 year span (D: Linklater, S: Coltrane, Hawke, P. Arquet

I really enjoyed this. The films long running time flew by. Some small things make it not totally perfect but that doesn't really matter. Very 'slice of life' feeling film.

Very weird experience at times though as parts of the film made me very ominous but I remember that this was a Linklater film.
Old 08-09-14, 08:54 AM

It has finally arrived at the Enzian (our local art house my girlfriend and I are planning to see this in the next two weeks.
Old 08-09-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

It's playing at my go-to AMC so I might check it out.
Old 08-09-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, it's at my AMC as well, I was surprised it went wider. I guess that's one thing you can say for the lesser expense of digital distribution. Long time to sit though....
Old 08-10-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rather folks see this film without much knowledge of the "plot" per se, as the film, ambitiously shot with the same core group of actors over a 12-year span, does a fine job of recounting the vibe and narrative prism of one's "Boyhood" memories of Mason as he makes his way towards adulthood from childhood, with scenes detailing touchstone events, along with inter-familial scenes amongst a fractured family, and somewhat extended family at times.

Richard Linklater, along with his core crew, deserves a lot of credit for maintaining focus and narrative trajectory of the story, literally waiting years to see it to fruition. It's not the most special-effects-laden film you'll see at the theaters this year, but perhaps one of the most human stories you'll see in a film, with the feeling of real time passing, because it did, and the time jumps are deftly edited and cut from one scene to the next, not as jarring as you'd think the cuts would be from the time hops.

The inter-generational dimension this film offers is quite haunting in spots, there's a term from Buffy the Vampire lore, called "I'm not done baking", and with a film like this, you seamlessly see bits of the baking process happening throughout the film until its conclusion.

I give it 3.75 stars, or a grade of A-.
Old 08-14-14, 09:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

The music was cliché, the pop culture references were obvious, but that's part of why I loved pretty much every damn minute of this film. Ethan Hawk was perfect, in my opinion. The kids started off a little weak (as to be expected of any child, really), but both grew into their roles quite well. I'm not a fan of Patricia Arquette, but her story arc was great and maybe the most satisfying.

in my particular screening:
Spoiler:
nearly everyone seemed to think one of the teens was going to get hurt or die when they were in the unfinished house. Specifically, when one of them grabs the saw blade, I heard a bunch of people gasp, anticipating the worst. Then nothing happened. Then, when the last kid gets ready to break the piece of wood, he was lined up perfectly to fall back into the saw blade in the wall, but again, nothing happened, but as SOON as the wood broke, everyone gasped, as if something bad had already happened, until they realized that, nope, all the kids are fine. It was a weird experience, and I don't know if it was intentional. In my own boyhood experiences, we did stupid shit like that all the time, and nothing bad happened, so maybe that was the point.

The sex talk was hilarious and not just because of the kids' reactions, but also Hawk's.

I loved, near the end, when they were in the restaurant, and the daughter says, "How will I do my laundry?" and Arquette responds with, "I am pushing you out of my nest. On your way down, you may come across some quarters, and..." and I missed the rest because everyone broke out into laughter, but we got the jist of it. Awesome setup and delivery.

Last edited by Dan; 08-14-14 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 10:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Also, for those that have seen the film, but haven't come across this yet...
Spoiler:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ethanhawke/b...he-black-album
"The Black Album you see on screen originated IRL, as a real gift from Hawke to his oldest daughter Maya.
Hawke wrote the original version of these Black Album liner notes for his IRL daughter, then slightly retooled them while he was working on Boyhood. The result is a heart-wrenching reflection on the magic that can happen even after a family-type unit breaks up, and the special bond forged between parents and kids when the latter come to know, and respect, that the former are not perfect."

And, for completion’s sake, the full Black Album tracklist:

Disc 1:
1. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Band on the Run”
2. George Harrison, “My Sweet Lord”
3. John Lennon feat. The Flux Fiddlers & the Plastic Ono Band, “Jealous Guy”
4. Ringo Starr, “Photograph”
5. John Lennon, “How?”
6. Paul McCartney, “Every Night”
7. George Harrison, “Blow Away”
8. Paul McCartney, “Maybe I’m Amazed”
9. John Lennon, “Woman”
10.Paul McCartney & Wings, “Jet”
11. John Lennon, “Stand by Me”
12. Ringo Starr, “No No Song”
13. Paul McCartney, “Junk”
14. John Lennon, “Love”
15. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, “The Back Seat of My Car”
16. John Lennon, “Watching the Wheels”
17. John Lennon, “Mind Games”
18. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Bluebird”
19. John Lennon, “Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)”
20. George Harrison, “What Is Life”

Disc 2:
1. John Lennon, “God”
2. Wings, “Listen to What the Man Said”
3. John Lennon, “Crippled Inside”
4. Ringo Starr, “You’re Sixteen You’re Beautiful (And You’re Mine)”
5. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Let Me Roll It”
6. John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band, “Power to the People”
7. Paul McCartney, “Another Day”
8. George Harrison, “If Not For You (2001 Digital Remaster)”
9. John Lennon, “(Just Like) Starting Over”
10. Wings, “Let ‘Em In”
11. John Lennon, “Mother”
12. Paul McCartney & Wings, “Helen Wheels”
13. John Lennon, “I Found Out”
14. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, “Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey”
15. John Lennon, Yoko Ono & The Plastic Ono Band, “Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)”
15. George Harrison, “Not Guilty (2004 Digital Remaster)”
16. Paul McCartney & Linda McCartney, “Heart of the Country”
17. John Lennon, “Oh Yoko!”
18. Wings, “Mull of Kintyre”
19. Ringo Starr, “It Don’t Come Easy”

Disc 3:
1. John Lennon, “Grow Old With Me (2010 Remaster)”
2. Wings, “Silly Love Songs”
3. The Beatles, “Real Love”
4. Paul McCartney & Wings, “My Love”
5. John Lennon, “Oh My Love”
6. George Harrison, “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)”
7. Paul McCartney, “Pipes of Peace”
8. John Lennon, “Imagine”
9. Paul McCartney, “Here Today”
10. George Harrison, “All Things Must Pass”
11. Paul McCartney, “And I Love Her (Live on MTV Unplugged)”
Old 08-18-14, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was fucking fantastic. This will probably crack my top 20 (of all time).
Old 08-18-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan

in my particular screening:
Spoiler:
nearly everyone seemed to think one of the teens was going to get hurt or die when they were in the unfinished house. Specifically, when one of them grabs the saw blade, I heard a bunch of people gasp, anticipating the worst. Then nothing happened. Then, when the last kid gets ready to break the piece of wood, he was lined up perfectly to fall back into the saw blade in the wall, but again, nothing happened, but as SOON as the wood broke, everyone gasped, as if something bad had already happened, until they realized that, nope, all the kids are fine. It was a weird experience, and I don't know if it was intentional. In my own boyhood experiences, we did stupid shit like that all the time, and nothing bad happened, so maybe that was the point.
Originally Posted by conscience

Very weird experience at times though as parts of the film made me very ominous but I remember that this was a Linklater film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.