Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek Into Darkness (Abrams, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers, Duh)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek Into Darkness (Abrams, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
9.88%
22.67%
36.05%
12.79%
8.72%
2.33%
1.74%
0%
1.16%
0%
0.58%
Star Trek Into Dullness
4.07%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek Into Darkness (Abrams, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers, Duh)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 06:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness (Abrams, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Spoilers, Duh)

Originally Posted by Jory
This is why I consider Into Darkness a much better Star Trek film than the 2009 movie. That one had Kirk acting totally out of character at the end. Nero's ship was disabled and he was completely harmless. Kirk offered assistance, and Nero said he'd rather die than accept help from Kirk. Kirk's response? "You got it," and then he tells his crew to blow the fuck out of Nero's ship, killing him in cold blood, and nobody ever questions the order. Into Darkness feels like a correction of that mistake. The 2009 movie doesn't really get what Trek is all about, but Into Darkness does.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. It's not just that they had disabled Nero's ship, they opened a black hole right in the middle of it. Everyone on board that ship was dead anyway. And Kirk DOES offer help. Only when it's thrown back in his face does he give the order to terminate a ship that just committed genocide. And even then all he's doing is speeding up a process that was already underway.

I also rewatched Into Darkness recently. I don't think it's a better movie than the 2009 reboot, but I also don't think it's a black mark on the series.
Old 09-05-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jory
Eight-month bump. Not too bad. I've done worse. I'm not going to bother with spoiler tags, since I assume that anyone reading this has seen both The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. If not, this is the warning not to read anything below. Anyway, I'll tell you why the callbacks to The Wrath of Khan didn't bother me in Into Darkness. Unlike Nemesis, which stole the plot of The Wrath of Khan but did nothing new with it, Into Darkness is presenting the flip-side to the story. In The Wrath of Khan, Khan was the one who wanted revenge on Kirk (for marooning him on a deserted planet), but in Into Darkness it's Kirk who wants revenge on Khan (for killing Pike). In The Wrath of Khan, Khan gives in to his desire for revenge and it gets him and the rest of his crew killed. In Into Darkness, Kirk is talked out of his assassination mission by his crew. He comes to his senses and later states that Starfleet does not execute without a trial because that's not their way. Into Darkness isn't just recycling the same plot because the writers can't think of anything new (Nemesis), they're doing a complete reversal, putting the hero in the villain's old situation and showing how and why he does things differently. This is why I consider Into Darkness a much better Star Trek film than the 2009 movie. That one had Kirk acting totally out of character at the end. Nero's ship was disabled and he was completely harmless. Kirk offered assistance, and Nero said he'd rather die than accept help from Kirk. Kirk's response? "You got it," and then he tells his crew to blow the fuck out of Nero's ship, killing him in cold blood, and nobody ever questions the order. Into Darkness feels like a correction of that mistake. The 2009 movie doesn't really get what Trek is all about, but Into Darkness does. Not that Into Darkness is perfect. It's filled with all sorts of little stupidities, exactly the kind of idiotic crap I expect from screenwriters like Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. If I complained about all of those little nitpicks, the result would be five times longer than this post. But overall, focusing more on themes and characterization than plot implausibilities, I thought it worked splendidly. After all the rabble dies down, I think time will vindicate Into Darkness as one of the better films in the series, even though critics at the time

made the mistake of dismissing it as inferior to its predecessor.
I agree that it was better than the 2009 reboot. I still think it'd be better to work with more original ideas than keep going back the Wrath of Khan well, and I think the heavy borrowing in the last third drags the film down. That said, I like how it toys with audience expectations in making Khan much more sympathetic than you're initially led to believe, and there's a nice thematic underpinning about the roots of fascism and how Marcus almost wants to create any enemy just to have his war after being freaked out by what happened to Vulcan, and in doing so, he of course creates another, more dangerous enemy. Kirk's ignorance of orders is usually just to show how devil-may-care he is, but here he finds out that it goes much deeper than that and comes down to a moral choice which he chooses over a personal one, and forces him to learn from it, and I agree with you, I like that. Orci argues (coherently) that the borrowing from WOK in this case signifies the beginning of Kirk and Spock's friendship rather than the culmination of it, but in abstracting it away from the themes of WOK (mortality and destruction), I think it loses a lot of its impact. And while I understand why they did it, ultimately having Kirk resurrected at the end (they obviously couldn't kill him) does cheapen things a bit in the sense that you don't really get the culmination of the loss theme. Abrams' TV-bred direction is still a bit too hyperactive for my taste too. That said, I like the darker tone and political underpinnings of this one a lot more, Cumberbatch and Weller are great heavies, and the twists and turns in the plot, even when they stretch credibility a bit, are nice played. And anything shot on Kodak is OK with me .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-05-14 at 11:46 PM.