Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Birdman (2014) D: Iñárritu; S: Keaton, Stone, Norton, Galifinakis, Watts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Birdman (2014) D: Iñárritu; S: Keaton, Stone, Norton, Galifinakis, Watts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Birdman (2014) D: Iñárritu; S: Keaton, Stone, Norton, Galifinakis, Watts

Which 4 theaters are showing this this weekend?
Old 10-18-14, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEW YORK
AMC Lincoln Square
Angelika Film Center

LOS ANGELES
The Landmark
The Arclight Hollywood

on the 23rd it opens up in these areas...
Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Bellevue, WA
Bethesda, MD
Boston, MA
Boulder, CO
Brookline, MA
Brooklyn, NY
Cambridge, MA
Chicago, IL
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Evanston, IL
Fairfax, VA
Indianapolis, IN
Irvine, CA
Minneapolis, MN
Montclair, NJ
Pasadena, CA
Philadelphia, PA
Plano, TX
Pleasantville, NY
Royal Oak, MI
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA
Scottsdale, AZ
Seattle, WA
Sherman Oaks, CA
St. Louis, MO
Toronto, ON
Vancouver, BC
Washington, DC

If you don't see your town here, don't worry, we will continue to add theaters and open in new cities into November and beyond. Keep checking your local theaters!
Old 10-20-14, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it today ( The Landmark has it on 4 screens ), it wasn't what I was expecting, but that's a good thing. Some great acting by Keaton and Norton. Hopefully they get nominated.
Old 10-22-14, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thoroughly disappointed. I did not like the movie at all. It felt like a two hour movie that drilled on the same point over and over again. The only saving grace was Emma Stone. I thought she stole the film. Her speech was just freaking awesome and very well delivered. I did not know she had it in her for that level of performance.
Old 10-22-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
I was thoroughly disappointed. I did not like the movie at all. It felt like a two hour movie that drilled on the same point over and over again. The only saving grace was Emma Stone. I thought she stole the film. Her speech was just freaking awesome and very well delivered. I did not know she had it in her for that level of performance.
I'd be willing to bet this is a classic case of certain expectations which weren't met. But I bet you'll revisit the film at some point and find an appreciation for it.
Old 10-22-14, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I'd be willing to bet this is a classic case of certain expectations which weren't met. But I bet you'll revisit the film at some point and find an appreciation for it.
Funny you should say that. After walking out of the theater I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the high praises. I really felt like I must have missed something. I think it was the music that threw me off, if you can even call it "music". I found it to be extremely distracting throughout the entire film. Yeah, I would have to revisit it for sure when blu-ray come out.
Old 10-28-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I saw this tonight and liked it quite a bit. Keaton and Norton were amazing. I think there were maybe a dozen cuts the entire 2 hour run time, it's just one long uninterrupted scene after another. I didn't find the story particularly great or frankly that interesting, but the direction and performances more than made up for it.

Recommended. Check this out if you get the chance.

B+
Old 10-30-14, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

If Michael Keaton, Edward Norton and Emma Stone aren't nominated for Academy Awards I might have to retire from watching the show. The same can probably be said if Michael Keaton doesn't go as far as actually winning. Performance of a lifetime from him.

I loved the film.
Old 11-01-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Film feels like a halfwit trying to ape Charlie Kaufman. Maybe Donald Kaufman wrote this script. Comparison to Rope is apt because it works more as a technical exercise than anything. Lubezki is closing the gap on Deakins; guy is on another level.
Old 11-01-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm starting to think this won't be playing anywhere near me, I guess I'll just have to wait for the home video release.
Old 11-01-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw it last night and thought it was real good. All of the acting was great but Keaton, Norton & Stone were exceptional. The cinematography and direction were top notch. The screenplay while good has its little flaws. Deserves Oscar noms for :

Lead actor
Supporting actor
Supporting actress
Cinematography
Direction

4/5

Last edited by inri222; 11-01-14 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-01-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
All of the acting was great but Keaton.
Really?
Old 11-01-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Really?
I think he meant to put a comma after Keaton.
Old 11-01-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I think he meant to put a comma after Keaton.
You are correct. Fixed my post.
Old 11-01-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm starting to think this won't be playing anywhere near me, I guess I'll just have to wait for the home video release.
Nah. This will hit the 1000-or-so theaters by December. It has stars and tons of praise.
Old 11-05-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This has continued to expand. It's playing at a local Century Theater which never shows indie fare. Check your local listings.
Old 11-05-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. It's showing here starting Friday.
Old 11-05-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I didn't love it as much as others, Birdman is still very good and something I feel all hardcore film fans need to watch.
Old 11-16-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw it. I would rank it #2 for the year behind Boyhood. A very brilliant look at the differences between the worlds of film and theater. The acting was good from everyone all around, which is rare in movies nowadays. Definitely needs some nods in Actor (Keaton), Supporting Actress (Stone), and cinematography.
Old 11-18-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Norton's best work since Primal Fear in my opinion.
Old 11-21-14, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, I didn't think this film would go as wide as it did this quickly. Still haven't had a chance to see it, but it is playing basically everywhere now.
Old 11-30-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got a chance to see "Birdman", and it's quite a ride, mainly due to the story being told through long tracking shots, obviously spliced together at opportune points, but still very ambitious and skillfully done. Can't imagine the technical lighting requirements that had to be solved to get the tracking shots to look uniform and non-disjointed or distracting. And then you add in the directing, and the acting components, it's a film that keeps moving on its own momentum simply through the camerawork and plot rhythms. Director Inarritu handles all of the material quite deftly, engagingly so.

Story-wise, it's a bit meta with respect to entertainment, whether it be from Hollywood, or on Broadway, the truth of critics, and even social media entertainment engagement component that plagues us today. Riggan Thomas (Michael Keaton), having experienced fame and fortune early in his acting career as "Birdman" (a la "Batman"), comes back to Broadway with his own play (encompassing story/vision/directorial/acting elements) that may as well be his last stand to remain relevant in the entertainment business himself, his internal monologue is peppered with doubts and ominous thoughts.

The supporting cast (Edward Norton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts, Zach Galifinakis, Amy Ryan, Lindsay Duncan, and Andrea Riseborough) is also solid as they drift in and out of the story as we mostly follow Riggan throughout the film, but not always just his point of view.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 11-30-14, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ehhhhh. Not so much technical lighting in the physical. It was also manipulated digitally. There is a video about it somewhere on the web. It is well done though from what I've seen in that video.
Old 11-30-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just came back from seeing this. It is first and foremost an actors' showcase. All the major roles are an actor's wet dream in terms of getting to play a grand role where they get to use all of their training to the max. Michael Keaton is exceptional. Other than Beetlejuice and the first two Batman movies, I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else, so I was blown away by how great he was. Edward Norton is also excellent, as are Emma Stone and Naomi Watts. Direction, cinematography, and editing are on point. The whole movie feels like one long continuous cut and it has a dreamy "is this real?" atmosphere throughout. I'll eat my hat if it doesn't win the Best Editing Oscar.

As a movie, I found it a little too "artsy" at times. It got weird at times just for the sake of being weird. I mean, what was the point of
Spoiler:
the lesbian makeout scene between Naomi Watts and Andrea Riseborough?

It's also very meta in its outlook on Hollywood, acting, and the superhero movie genre, which is apt especially in modern cinema, where we are currently inundated with duelling "cinematic universes" of weirdos in tights. Some of it was quite funny. I loved the lines about
Spoiler:
Robert Downey Jr and Michael Fassbender. The placement of the Man of Steel billboard during Keaton's flight around Manhattan was also awesome.

At this point, Keaton is a lock for a Best Actor nomination, and possibly even the win. Norton has a great chance for a Supporting Actor nomination. The movie itself for a Best Picture/Directing nomination has good chances but I can see this being somewhat polarizing and too "weird" for the Academy.
Old 12-02-14, 01:38 AM

I thought Keaton was great, but I've always been a fan of his. I thought Norton was amazing and aside from Keaton's Birdman inner dialogues, he was the best thing in the movie.

Aside from Emma Stone's speech which will probably stay with me for a long time. That was an incredible "your time has passed and this is why" moment.

I was kinda worried about the "one shot" approach to it but it was done brilliantly and aside from one moment was effortless...

Spoiler:
When Norton goes from having sex with Stone to suddenly being on stage when the camera pans down while Keaton is talking the entire time.

That said, while I loved the movie, I hated the last shot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.