Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

McClane (Die Hard 6) (D: Wiseman) - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

McClane (Die Hard 6) (D: Wiseman) - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: McClane (Die Hard 6) (D: Wiseman) - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
But was it consensual?
Not in the least. Just what are you implying?
Old 03-01-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Wish I loved Die Hard with a Vengeance as much as everyone else here. It started off strong, but I always thought it fell apart once McClane turned into Sherlock Holmes and used an aspirin bottle to track the villain down in Canada.
I think Die Hard with a Vengeance (aka "Die Hard 3") is great and seems even more so given what we've gotten since then - but, yeah, the ending is kind of a mess, like they weren't sure how to end it. Still, the theatrical ending is better than the alternate one that showed up in the deleted scenes section of the DVD/Blu-ray releases.

The one thing I'm surprised by is how low Die Hard 2: Die Harder is being rated. I used to rate it lower myself, but rewatching the first 4 Die Hard movies on Blu-ray, I now think Die Hard 2 is the best of the sequels. Of all the sequels, it's the only one that even feels remotely like the original. Yeah, the plot is too dependent on the weather being exactly as needed for it to work, but the difficulty of accurate weather predictions aside, it's a damn good action movie and the only one of the sequels to hold a candle to the original (IMO).

And in the Screen Junkies look at how believeable McClane surviving would be in each Die Hard movie, Die Hard 2 is the only one that medical doctors thought John McClane would survive the entire movie, so on that aspect of how far-fetched these movies are, Die Hard 2 is the most believeable. See in the spoiler tag below:
Spoiler:

and
Old 03-01-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Not in the least. Just what are you implying?
Ah hah! Harvey Weinstein forced you to watch A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD! A #metoo moment from our own ranks!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-02-18 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think Die Hard with a Vengeance (aka "Die Hard 3") is great and seems even more so given what we've gotten since then - but, yeah, the ending is kind of a mess, like they weren't sure how to end it. Still, the theatrical ending is better than the alternate one that showed up in the deleted scenes section of the DVD/Blu-ray releases.

The one thing I'm surprised by is how low Die Hard 2: Die Harder is being rated. I used to rate it lower myself, but rewatching the first 4 Die Hard movies on Blu-ray, I now think Die Hard 2 is the best of the sequels. Of all the sequels, it's the only one that even feels remotely like the original. Yeah, the plot is too dependent on the weather being exactly as needed for it to work, but the difficulty of accurate weather predictions aside, it's a damn good action movie and the only one of the sequels to hold a candle to the original (IMO).

And in the Screen Junkies look at how believeable McClane surviving would be in each Die Hard movie, Die Hard 2 is the only one that medical doctors thought John McClane would survive the entire movie, so on that aspect of how far-fetched these movies are, Die Hard 2 is the most believeable. See in the spoiler tag below:
Spoiler:

link and link
I agree with your assessment of Die Hard 2. I've always thought that movie was underrated...I'll watch that one every Christmas...Obviously not as good as the original, but it's a pretty great '90s action movie...And while I like the third one, it feels a bit long at times...And Franco Nero is always welcome, in my mind...He was good as one of the villains...
Old 03-01-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, it’s not very good. When I first saw it I didn’t hate it but it’s gotten worse with subsequent viewings. It doesn’t really feel like a Die Hard film and John takes the backseat to his son for most of the film.
I’m fairly certain the last time I read the Bible the deadly sins were:
Greed
List
Gluttony
Sloth
Wrath
Making John McClane the sidekick in a Die Hard movie
Envy
Pride
Old 03-13-18, 11:22 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I guess it didn't go so well when Bruce "wing"ed out to California to see what the script looks like.

After writing The Conjuring and its sequel for New Line, Chad and Carey Hayes have been hired by 20th Century Fox to rewrite the script for the next film in the DIE HARD franchise, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Len Wiseman (Live Free or Die Hard) is set to produce and direct the action sequel, which will see Bruce Willis return once again as supercop John McClane. The film is rumored to be an origin story of sorts, in which we see a younger actor portray McClane as a (relatively) regular cop in 1970s New York. Willis’ grizzled take on the character, who has been through a lot over the course of five films, is expected to bookend the movie, which will toggle back and forth between past and present.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura is also producing the film, which is aiming for a Die Hard: Year One type of feel, in reference to Frank Miller’s beloved comic book Batman: Year One.

In addition to the two Conjuring movies, the Hayes brothers have co-written House of Wax, The Reaping, Whiteout and Amblin’s upcoming haunted house movie The Turning starring Mackenzie Davis, Finn Wolfhard and Brooklynn Prince. The siblings have a dozen projects set up all over town, and while it may not be a Die Hard movie, it’s interesting to note that Chad Hayes once played a mercenary in the original Lethal Weapon, which is pretty cool.

The Hayes brothers are represented by CAA, Circle of Confusion and attorney Jeff Frankel.
http://www.tracking-board.com/bruce-...ipt-exclusive/
Old 03-13-18, 11:55 AM

Also... on a side note... a few years ago a guy named Ben Trebilcook wrote a spec script for "Old Habits Die Hard". There were articles that it was actually the next movie, but there wasn't any truth to that (update about the story: https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/man-...pt-trebilcook/). I posted it way back in the beginning of the thread. He ended up turning that script into a book (changing names, etc.):
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-13-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 742 Likes on 367 Posts

I'm still rooting for "Eat Shit and Die Hard" for the next title.
Old 08-03-18, 11:15 AM

Len Wiseman was at the Fox party for the Television Critics Association because he directed the pilot for The Gifted. I would’ve been happy to talk to him about the X-Men series too, but he’s actually too busy to be involved in the second season. So then we just talked about Die Hard: Year One, Wiseman’s in-development film that will feature both Bruce Willis as the John McClane we know and a young version of the unlucky detective in flashbacks.

We talked about how close Wiseman is to getting the film off the ground, how it will be different from Wiseman’s Live Free or Die Hard, and who from the extended McClane family could return.

A Young Holly Gennero is in the Script

Bonnie Bedelia has not appeared in a Die Hard movie since Die Hard 2. She’s waiting for John to call her at the end of Die Hard with a Vengeance, and the sequels had Lucy (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and Jack (Jai Courtney) fulfill the role of estranged family using their mother’s maiden name Gennero to distance themselves from John.

Wiseman said that the Die Hard: Year One script, which tells parallel stories in the ‘70s and present day, features young Holly in the flashback scenes.

“There is [a young Holly],” Wiseman said. “I will tell you there is.”

The return of Holly Gennero is great news for Die Hard fans. Are we going to see how they met? If so, that begs the question, could John reunite with Bedelia’s Holly in the present?

“There may very well be [a reunion],” Wiseman said.

This is honestly the most exciting news I’ve heard about Die Hard 6. John’s realization that he was a selfish husband and reconciliation with Holly is a core part of what makes Die Hard such a classic. It’s actually nice to see them getting along, if separated by terrorists, in Die Hard 2.

It made sense for them to be broken up again so that John could be at his lowest point in Die Hard With a Vengeance, but there’s kind of no good reason she wasn’t in Live Free or A Good Day to Die Hard. And if this is going to be the last Die Hard with Willis, it would be nice to resolve their marriage on a positive note.

Wiseman Won’t Make a Major Live Free or Die Hard Mistake Again

Live Free or Die Hard really split the fans of the franchise. Many were angry that it was PG-13, and many felt that John McClane lost his everyman quality from the first trilogy. That argument’s been played out, but I will say I liked the way Live Free adapted John McClane to what action movies were in 2007. They were more outlandish and full of CGI, and they were PG-13. Besides, if an R-rating is all it takes to make a good Die Hard movie, then A Good Day to Die Hard would be a classic (it’s not).

But Wiseman brought up another aspect of 2007 franchise filmmaking I hadn’t thought of. They used to greenlight movies for release dates and then finish the script while shooting. Wiseman refuses to do that again.

“Die Hard’s going to be happening fairly soon,” Wiseman said. “No dates. I’ve been asked about dates before and I’m always wrong. The date is when the script is right which is when we all want to go. The script has taken quite a long time. I want it to be right, as everybody does. The truth is we started prepping Live Free or Die Hard when the script was not ready. That process of working on the script as we were shooting the movie is not the funnest thing in the world to do. We pulled it together but nobody wants to go through that again.”

According to Wiseman, studios are finally starting to see the value in finishing the script before filming. Go figure!

“I think it’s also more so than any other time, [the script]’s very important,” Wiseman said. “We’ve seen it all. We’ve seen a lot. I think even, say, 10 years ago, I think studios in general were a little bit more willing to put movies like that, franchise movies into production with a sense of ‘we’ll continue to work on the script.’ I think that attitude has changed.”

Bruce Willis Will Help Choose His ‘70s Counterpart

When Wiseman first shared the Die Hard: Year One title, people assumed it was a way for Willis to get out of filming. They thought he’d be in bookend scenes at the beginning and end. After all, he has filmed a lot of straight-to-video movies that didn’t require a lot of screen time.

Back in 2016, Wiseman assured /Film that Willis was in the movie consistently. And that idea has remained the same throughout the development of Die Hard: Year One.

“The core idea has not [changed] at all,” Wiseman said. “It’s still working in parallel, cutting back and forth, what we see in the ‘70s has ramifications on present day Bruce. That hasn’t changed at all.”

John McClane has big shoes to fill, so it will help that Willis gets a say in who plays him prior to the events of Die Hard. Not necessarily because it’s in Willis’s contract, but because Wiseman wants his input.

“Contractually, I don’t have any idea,” Wiseman said. “Personally, together he and I, I want that.”

Die Hard celebrated its 30th anniversary this year, and Bruce Willis was roasted by Comedy Central last weekend. We’ll see how soon Wiseman can begin shooting Die Hard: Year One.
https://www.slashfilm.com/die-hard-year-one-details/
Old 08-03-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Just cast JGL and be done with it...
Old 08-03-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Agreed. Get JGL in his young BW Looper make-up and voila.
Old 08-03-18, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This could be the first franchise to start with a legendary movie and finish doing a full spoof of itself with the same main actor.
Old 08-03-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Rose Leslie would be about the right age for a 70s Holly. Just sayin’.
Old 08-04-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Just cast JGL and be done with it...
Not opposed to this, but I just looked up on Google - JGL is 37, which is several years older than Willis was when he filmed the first Die Hard.
Old 08-04-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

#JaiBless
Old 08-04-18, 04:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Not opposed to this, but I just looked up on Google - JGL is 37, which is several years older than Willis was when he filmed the first Die Hard.
but the guy looks like he is 18.
Old 08-04-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Die Hard 6 - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by stingermck
I thought there was a script or idea floating around of an older, broken and tired McClane attending an anniversary of the Nakatomi incident and terrorist attack again. That is a movie I would like to see. Scale it down like the original and have 1 final film.
Quoting myself cause this is the film I still want to see.

Old Habits Die Hard.
Old 08-04-18, 04:49 PM

Re: Die Hard 6 - News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by stingermck
Quoting myself cause this is the film I still want to see.

Old Habits Die Hard.
That was a spec script and the guy turned it into a book and had to change all the names.
Amazon Amazon

https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/man-...pt-trebilcook/

Last edited by dex14; 08-04-18 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-04-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I liked the way Live Free adapted John McClane to what action movies were in 2007. They were more outlandish and full of CGI, and they were PG-13.
So irritating. The first Die Hard isn't a classic because it mimicked the same style as other action movies of that time period. It actually took a chance and tried something different that audiences hadn't seen before.

I think we can all forget about this series returning to its roots with a sequel grounded in reality and ending on a high note. And Hollywood's obsession with prequels needs to stop.
Old 08-04-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
And Willis looked 10 years older than he did when he starred.
Old 09-03-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...ane-exclusive/

Report: Title is now “McClane”

One of the Producers of the movie is quoted in the article saying that’s the title.
Old 09-03-18, 11:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

All they need now is a script that isn't shit, actors, and a release date that'll change about a dozen times between now and it's premiere on VOD.
Old 09-03-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
And Hollywood's obsession with prequels needs to stop.
Existing IP with existing audience awareness that can be cast with the current hot star of the moment? Yeah, that's not going away any time soon.
Old 09-03-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: McClane (Die Hard 6) (D: Wiseman) - News, rumors, etc.

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/03/die...0-9564663BB7C6

Entertainment Weekly confirmed the title is indeed “McClane”
Old 09-03-18, 07:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: McClane (Die Hard 6) (D: Wiseman) - News, rumors, etc.

These sequels, sans 2, are butt fucking me...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.