Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
4.80%
16.80%
35.20%
17.60%
11.20%
6.40%
4.80%
0%
0.80%
0%
0%
Fryin Man 3: Rise of the Fry
2.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Iron Man 3 (Black, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I quite enjoyed most of this one, except for Guy Pearce and his super soldiers being too damn super, and Pepper's eventual glow. The storyline with the kid was amusing. Gwyneth was stunning. Ben Kingsley was hilarious.
Old 05-27-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
Mediocre.

I LOVED The Avengers. I thought that film had a lot of joy, fun, excitement.

This film? Iron Man 3?

Had a lot of blowing up, action, etc.

.....But it was very hollow inside.
I'll use this as my review ^

and will add it could have been called Iron Can considering the suit(s) just became remote contolled objects for most of the movie

also have no idea why they would even consider using the Mandrin as a villian given the decision to turn him into Oz
90% of this franchises audience has no idea who the Mandrin is from the comic books so they could have made it any generic villian without insulting those who do know the character

the (near) end of this movie just made me wish it was a Danny Rand (iron Fist) movie instead

Last edited by musick; 05-27-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got back from the film. Loved all the hints/flashbacks to new York /the worm hole/alien invasion
Old 05-28-13, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw it yesterday, and loved it. I don't get all the hate for the movie. IM3 delivers on what I would expect from the movie. Cool suit effects, funny one liners, a villain who almost breaks Tony. I loved that the movie forced Tony to go back to basics and even shop at a hardware store to make something. The sequence where he rescues everyone falling from the plane was one of the most amazing sequences I've ever seen. It didn't come off as a cheap CGI to me.

As for the Mandarin, people need to realize that these Marvel character franchises are not going to have countless sequels. We won't see an Iron Man 10. Probably not even a 4. Therefore, a major villain who lasts for decades in the comics will only last for one movie. Spiderman 2 did this with Doc Ock and the Green Goblin.

I did have a problem with

Spoiler:

Accepting that Kingsley character was just an actor. I wanted him to be the main villain. The movie did a good job hyping up his merciless nature. And didn't he murder a man on live television?

Old 05-28-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I did have a problem with

Spoiler:

Accepting that Kingsley character was just an actor. I wanted him to be the main villain. The movie did a good job hyping up his merciless nature. And didn't he murder a man on live television?

Spoiler:
There is a throwawy line in the movie where he says he is not allowed to handle the real guns. So no he did not.
Old 05-28-13, 10:21 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

in one of Kingsley's loopy rants, there is a quick moment where he looks lethally deadly, then he appears to have caught himself. it's very shocking and noticeable, I remember being a little taken aback by it. so, perhaps the fanboy rumors/desires that he was playing Iron Man in order to get out alive is correct.
Old 05-28-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
in one of Kingsley's loopy rants, there is a quick moment where he looks lethally deadly, then he appears to have caught himself. it's very shocking and noticeable, I remember being a little taken aback by it. so, perhaps the fanboy rumors/desires that he was playing Iron Man in order to get out alive is correct.
If so, that would be some of the best misdirection of all time. I'd be game to see that, but won't hold my breath for it.
Old 05-28-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Kingsley was the best part of IM3 both "Before" and "After" the reveal. They needed a person of that caliber to pull this off.

That said:

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Man, i think you may have read way too much into some off facial expression. I mean if that were the case then why no post-credit reveal of "the truth"?
Old 05-28-13, 05:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Kingsley was the best part of IM3 both "Before" and "After" the reveal. They needed a person of that caliber to pull this off.

That said:

Man, i think you may have read way too much into some off facial expression. I mean if that were the case then why no post-credit reveal of "the truth"?
it was more than just an expression... sure there was a glare in the eyes, but also the tone in his voice. I've only seen the movie once, and that was over a month ago, so maybe I'm wrong, but I clearly remember thinking that "hey, that's really kind of odd" when it happened.
Old 05-28-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

That said:

I thought for sure (after having avoided spoilers) that the post-credit scene would be a reveal like that (though not necessarily Kingsley)
Old 07-14-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Finally caught this today. Good stuff.

I really couldn't find much to pick apart. Good plot. Solid action. Good villain. Pearce was pretty good, Kingsley was epic.

Kingsley is the real Mandarin. If that's not addressed in Marvel's future movies somehow, I will be disappointed. Even if it just gets a casual mention. The Mandarin lives.

I liked all of the Shane Black influences in there. Christmas time, shootout at the port, Tony being hung up by his hands (similar to Riggs in Lethal Weapon), William Sadler, Miguel Ferrer, etc. If you look at Lethal Weapon movies, Last Boyscout, Long Kiss Goodnight, etc - and then look at Iron Man 3 - you'll see significant similarities. He borrowed a lot from past movies, and the era of awesome 80's and 90's action films.
Old 08-04-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OUYW0JyzydA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-15-13, 10:42 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Mark Wahlberg:
I would like to take over the 'Iron Man' franchise for Robert Downey [but] it’s one of those things where I kind of like playing real people, [so] I’ve never been asked.
Old 08-15-13, 11:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

no.
Old 08-15-13, 11:48 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I like to refer to Wahlberg as "Angry and Confused." Seriously, in all of his movies, he's either angry or confused.
Old 08-15-13, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Mark Wahlberg:
nooooooooo.
Old 08-15-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Downey Jr. won't be done playing Iron Man until at least 2018, at which point Wahlberg will be 47. If Marvel recasts I doubt they would start out with an actor that old. Early 40s is probably the sweet spot for an actor starting out with the role, similar to James Bond.
Old 10-01-13, 08:11 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rented the bluray from Redbox last night. I was completely underwhelmed. I didn't care much for the movie at all. I was surprised at the lack of action.

Spoiler:
I despised all of the remote controlled and unmanned Iron Man suits. If there just has to be a suit like this, show us once and be done with it. I want to see Stark flying around kicking ass in an Iron Man suit. Also, the "twist" than Mandarin is a goofy actor frontman for the bad guys was very disappointing. I thought Mandarin was so cool and evil at the beginning. The end was stupid with the army of unmanned suits flying around.
Old 10-01-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I actually enjoyed this movie far more than I expected. Yes, the comic book fan in me loathes a certain character twist at the end. But in context of the film itself, I felt it actually worked. And I really liked seeing Tony out of the suit for the bulk of the movie and having to rely on his wits to improvise gear. It's actually my favorite Iron Man movie.

Anyone else feel that
Spoiler:
Pepper didn't really kill the real Mandarin (given how far beyond he was from any other Extremis subject) and that Tony's wording as to what happened with Pepper implies that he stabilized the Extremis in her but didn't actually remove it? I'm also guessing that thanks to Extremis is how Tony was finally able to remove the arc reactor core and the shrapnel from his chest.
Old 10-01-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I enjoyed this when i saw it at the cinema. I picked up the Blu Ray last week and upon re-watching it i am not sure how i feel. I like aspects of the movie certainly, but some things simply did not gel. Guy Pierce played a good villain. Not sure i liked the idea of the Mandarin as they played it in the movie. Ben Kingsley i find a total hack of an actor, and from the horror stories i have heard about him in real life it sounds like he is far too into himself to get any of my respect.

I think one of the problem lays with Robert Downey Jnr. When i first heard he was cast as Tony Stark i thought it was inspired casting. At this stage he has gotten a little too used to the role and it feels to me like he is being a little too ego driven in the role. His scenes sometimes feel very fake emotionally. Especially in this movie when he has the break downs. Each one seemed fake and at times tried injecting humor into what should really play as a serious scene. I know that the character is supposed to be continually joking around, but felt a little too much at these points.

Added to which the whole thing at the end with having the arc reactor removed also felt weird. If he could have the shrapnel removed at any time, then why not and simply keep the reactor strapped to his chest.

Also, after Killian was hit with a couple of really big explosions at the end, the way Pepper is supposed to kill him is with yet another explosion? Seemed a little lazy.

And Don Cheadle must be a little pissed. He gets the role of War Machine and then ends up hardly actually doing anything with the character in each movie.
Old 10-01-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I like to refer to Wahlberg as "Angry and Confused." Seriously, in all of his movies, he's either angry or confused.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VZ8K4wlBbXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-01-13, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went ahead and bought the Blu-Ray, hoping I'd like it better the second time around. While the "big plot twist" still ticks me off, the rest makes for a worthy entry in the series. I hope Marvel & Disney work with Robert, so he can continue to play Tony Stark. No one else could match him at this point.
Old 10-01-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
I went ahead and bought the Blu-Ray, hoping I'd like it better the second time around. While the "big plot twist" still ticks me off, the rest makes for a worthy entry in the series. I hope Marvel & Disney work with Robert, so he can continue to play Tony Stark. No one else could match him at this point.
He's already signed on for Avengers 2 and 3. He probably won't do any more solo films though.
Old 10-01-13, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
He's already signed on for Avengers 2 and 3. He probably won't do any more solo films though.
That would be terrible; we need at least one more solo effort between the second and third "Avengers" entries.
Old 10-01-13, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
That would be terrible; we need at least one more solo effort between the second and third "Avengers" entries.
RDJ is only contracted for six movies. It was originally four and later expanded to six, so its possible they could expand it again.

Personally though I think six movies is enough for awhile at least. Let some other Marvel characters get a chance to shine. I would love love love to see a Doctor Strange movie or a Nova movie.

Also a Daredevil movie done properly now that Marvel/Disney has the rights to him back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.