Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oblivion (Kosinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Oblivion (Kosinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
5.26%
7.02%
33.33%
28.07%
14.04%
7.02%
3.51%
0%
1.75%
0%
0%
Oblivious.
0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Oblivion (Kosinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Oblivion (Kosinski, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

I really liked this. I'll probably pick it up on blu. I remember recently watching a few minutes of Prometheus to see if I'd like it better the second time and I just had to turn it off. This was visually stunning, a really good score (I may wanna pick that up too), and Led Zeppelin. Oh, and one thing I'm sure has been brought up other places before. I hate when sex scenes get put in movies and they try as hard as they can to not show much to keep it PG 13. I wonder how many kids really see the preview for this movie and want to see it?
Old 04-23-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

A libertarian reviewer's positive take on the film:

http://www.libertyunbound.com/node/1044
Old 04-24-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought it was pretty bad. Almost like Pearl Harbor meets all the sci-fi flicks it lifted ideas from. Visually it was fine and there was some entertaining action scenes but overall I'd give it a 4/10
Old 04-24-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an exceedingly average, run of the mill sci-fi movie with delusions of grandeur.
Old 04-24-13, 07:59 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Huge fan of Cruise here, but he was completely wasted in this boring mess.

It didn't deserve the 37 mil it made opening weekend. I thought Jack Reacher was actually very entertaining and will buy that here in a week or 2.
Old 04-24-13, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this movie a hidden propaganda for
Spoiler:
atheism? The whole idea about a man should search for the meaning of life despite "Sally" said no eating apple from the apple tree (entering the radiation zone)? And that a man should enjoy his life in his rooted not erasable memory? And lastly, to tell your per-conceived notion of god to "Fuck you, Sally"? It's almost as if Cruise signed on because it's in line with the Scientology preaching?
Old 04-25-13, 01:52 AM

Alex Jones thinks this movie is about the Illuminati.
Old 04-25-13, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came in here because I'm flabbergasted at the terrible reviews this movie is getting. Sure, it's derivative and the plot is slight, but I really enjoyed the movie on a visual level. And I'm blown away by how many reviewers are saying the plot is incomprehensible--it was extremely easy to follow if you were paying attention, at all.
Old 04-25-13, 01:13 PM

Yeah. I've seen a few comments about the plot being all over the place, but it seemed pretty easy to follow. It's a very straightforward plot with a few twists that aren't even that hard to see coming. I guess my only issue would be why the Tetra needed cloned humans on earth in the first place. I know, for drone maintenance. But it didn't really seem like they had any problem with a shortage of drones, IIRC there were a lot still on the tetra sitting there not doing anything.
Old 04-25-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The plot is pretty much generic Sci fi ABC's as far as its simplicity. I think some folks just started zoning out due to the slow pacing and got lost.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-25-13 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I knew nothing about this movie going in, and I was expecting a tired action sci-fi flick. So I was pleasantly surprised by what I got instead. I really liked the sort of revisionist 50's sci-fi look the film had, and the characters and story were interesting enough to keep me engaged for the run time. The two gorgeous female leads helped as well. I didn't like that this film hinged on a plot 'twist' as it did. I find when movies do this I have no interest in watching them again because it effectively kills the narrative up until the big twist. The first half is rendered somewhat pointless, only there to service a sense of shock for the twist, since we already know that everything the characters believe, and a lot of what is being narrated isn't true.

I didn't find the plot confusing at all, but there were some things that weren't entirely clear.

1)
Spoiler:
So the Tete was just a super computer floating through space, draining planets of their resources as it went? Where did it come from, what is it? Kind of a weird villain. Didn't really captivate me, and it was kind of ridiculous at the end.

2)
Spoiler:
When Cruise falls into the library, the eyes he sees moving in the shadows are supposed to be people, right? They established the drones are designed to target and kill people. It was kind of confusing since in that scene, the movement didn't really look human at all. They looked like aliens, but there were no aliens, right? I did like how the drones started out as kind of cute R2D2 robots and ended up being monster killing machines.

3)
Spoiler:
The ending, when Tom 2.0 comes to the cabin. Did anyone else find this kind of creepy? The love interest is on her third version of the person she was once married to. She's all teary eyed for the second clone of her husband? I don't know, it stuck me as kind of weird.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 04-26-13 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-26-13, 12:57 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Spoiler alerts are your friend!
Old 04-26-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Spoiler alerts are your friend!
Spoiler alerts in a movie review thread?
Old 04-26-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah sorry I didn't think they'd be needed in a movie review thread, but I guess those are pretty big spoilers which you wouldn't see in a 'review' normally. Tagged as a courtesy .
Old 04-26-13, 03:47 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1)
Spoiler:
So the Tete was just a super computer floating through space, draining planets of their resources as it went? Where did it come from, what is it? Kind of a weird villain. Didn't really captivate me, and it was kind of ridiculous at the end.

Spoiler:
They never explained where it came from other than that it came to suck up earth's resources. So human fought and won the war but not really.

2)
Spoiler:
When Cruise falls into the library, the eyes he sees moving in the shadows are supposed to be people, right? They established the drones are designed to target and kill people. It was kind of confusing since in that scene, the movement didn't really look human at all. They looked like aliens, but there were no aliens, right? I did like how the drones started out as kind of cute R2D2 robots and ended up being monster killing machines.

Spoiler:
Yeah, there were only two entities, human and drones/Sally. There is no other aliens. They purposely made the humans look and run like aliens because at that time in the movie, it hasn't been established that there are other human beings. Scaps haven't been equate to human beings yet. I thought for a killing machine, a single shot to the ear hole can kill it was kind of weak. They should have worked a little harder to figure out a way to kill it, but still feel cool. i.e. EMP in Matrix.

3)
Spoiler:
The ending, when Tom 2.0 comes to the cabin. Did anyone else find this kind of creepy? The love interest is on her third version of the person she was once married to. She's all teary eyed for the second clone of her husband? I don't know, it stuck me as kind of weird.

Spoiler:
Ok good, I'm not the only person who felt the same thing. The movie should have just ended at the explosion. There is no need to go back to earth and somehow wrap this up in a happily ever after. You can't just replace 49 with 52 just because they're clones. I thought this was a clear indication that the story was written by a geeky guy. No idea how women operates.
Old 04-26-13, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

1)
Spoiler:

At one point there was a throw away line about how brilliant the Tete was in that it went from planet to planet sucking up the resources. I'm not sure it ever said but I just assumed another alien life form was behind it, using it for their own benefit.

3)
Spoiler:

When we first see Tech 52 he looks at Julia for a split second like he knew her from his memories as well. I'm not sure how this works seeing as how Tech 49 was made to sound like an anomaly with the clones when Morgan Freeman saw him thinking for himself.
Old 04-26-13, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

3)
Spoiler:

When we first see Tech 52 he looks at Julia for a split second like he knew her from his memories as well. I'm not sure how this works seeing as how Tech 49 was made to sound like an anomaly with the clones when Morgan Freeman saw him thinking for himself.
Spoiler:

When 52 saw her they cut to the dream sequence. It would seem the Clones have all had the same dream of her. So once he saw her...I can kinda buy that 52 would be searching for her over 3 years.

I wonder how many more Clone couples are on Earth? At least 52? More?
Old 04-28-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm so confused! OK, so the AI was an agent of the aliens, the aliens are slowly stripping the last remaining resources from earth, and they cloned Cruise and Reisbrough to do it? What? They fix the drones and are lied to about their real purpose? There are sets of them all over the planet? A ship with a propeller can fly in space? I'm so confused! Very pretty though, sleek design. Kosinski apparently used to be an architect, and his films have the locked-down, hyper-precise Kubrickian style. Cool flying chase sequences, by most of the other set pieces were the usual blow'em up stuff. I'm not entirely sure what I think, and I don't want to pay to see it again until the DVD comes out. Saw it in LIEMAX, looked very pretty and had a killer sound system. Didn't notice the ratio.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-26-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-28-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Kosinski's sleek style definitely impresses. He's undoubtedly a fan of Kubrick; Sally was reminiscent of HAL. There were just enough interesting story points, albeit unoriginal ones, to maintain interest. I think the ending was lacking though, and hurt an otherwise well crafted film.
Old 04-28-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Solid 4 stars from me.

I just saw it, so I haven't had time to dwell on the film, but I really enjoyed it.

Fantastic score by M83.

I don't get/care about the complaints that it's derivative. So are a lot of sci-fi movies. The question is whether or not it succeeds, and I felt this largely did.

Cruise was solid, as usual. I enjoyed discovering the conceit of the film unfold as he did.

There were some astounding visuals in IMAX. I'm glad they resisted going 3D. This looked great just as it was. Some of the space shots were so gorgeous.

Nice to see Jaime Lannister operating at full potential again.

I liked the "villain". Weird? Sure, but it was also different enough to satisfy me.

While not a major leap, I can see Kosinski getting better between this and TRON. I hope he can progress even further for TRON 3.
Old 04-28-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Fantastic score by M83.
Forgot they did the score. That explains why it's so amazing.
Old 05-21-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Saw it today with the $8 off Fandango coupon I got from one of the Universal BD's at Best Buy.

I gave it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. The visuals were amazing and Cruise was solid. I looked at it as a half science fiction and half love story.

The Cloning plot was a little strange and I didn't really like the payoff that the mastermind behind everything was just some giant super computer.

Loved Olga Kurylenko as Harper's wife. So drop dead gorgeous and I loved the long dark hair. I liked the flashbacks with Jack and Julia as they tried to re-establish their relationship. They were very effective. She looked stunning in the flashbacks. She had pretty good chemistry with Cruise.

The ending was indeed weird Why was Julia getting so emotional seeing Jack 2.0? Jack 2.0 looked like he was about to cry when they had no pre-established relationship with her unless he was basing it off of original Jack's old memories. And are we supposed to assume that original Jack is just lost in the shuffle somewhere? I thought the one who sacrificed himself was just another clone.

And no one said for sure there aren't hundreds more Jacks and Victorias out there even though most got destroyed.

Edit: Okay, I read some of the thoughts about Jack 2.0 and I guess that does make sense.

Not spoilerizing anything since this movie has been out for well over 1 month now. Also, spoilerizing stuff in a reviews thread makes for less effective discussion.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-22-13 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-28-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Finally got around to this and it was visually impressive. I was entertained even though the whole clone thing took a bit of time to get used to. The TET reminded me of Braniac in that it was an alien AI as opposed to something we created - then again that wasn't made clear. For all we know the TET was created by us and rebelled and just turned into a harvester/teraformer going from planet to planet.

Oblivion is definitely style over substance but it's entertaining and the visuals/music are top fucking notch.
Old 07-28-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get why everyone is complimenting Olga Kurylenko in this. She was a mouth-breathing mute for almost her entire "performance".
Old 07-28-13, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I don't get why everyone is complimenting Olga Kurylenko in this. She was a mouth-breathing mute for almost her entire "performance".
Because she's hot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.