Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Todd Field To Direct Movie Adaptation Of Jess Walter’s Bestseller ‘Beautiful Ruins’

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Todd Field To Direct Movie Adaptation Of Jess Walter’s Bestseller ‘Beautiful Ruins’

Old 04-08-13, 01:08 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Filmmaker Todd Field, Brian Oliver and Tyler Thompson, co-founders of Cross Creek Pictures, and Patrick Milling Smith and Brian Carmody, co-founders of Smuggler Films, announced today that their companies will team up to produce the film adaptation of Jess Walter’s New York Times Best Seller, “Beautiful Ruins.” Todd Field and Jess Walter are confirmed to write the screenplay, with Field set to direct. Field will produce the film through Standard Film Company with Cross Creek’s Oliver, Thompson, Smuggler Films’ Milling Smith and Carmody, Adam Kassan will oversee production for Cross Creek.

The epic story begins in the spring of 1962 off the Ligurian Sea and centers on three young characters whose orbit around one another is set in motion by an incident involving the international jet-set center, Rome, in the throws of “La Dolce Vita” madness during the shooting of Cleopatra, and continues for decades.

In addition to appearing on the New York Times Best Sellers list, “Beautiful Ruins” was named one of the best books of 2012 by Entertainment Weekly, Kirkus Reviews, Publishers Weekly, the New York Times, Amazon, Esquire and National Public Radio.
I look forward to anything Todd Field does.
Old 04-09-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Todd Field To Direct Movie Adaptation Of Jess Walter’s Bestseller ‘Beautiful Ruin

Huge fan of Todd Field here as well. I will see anything with his name on it.
Old 04-09-13, 02:10 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Todd Field To Direct Movie Adaptation Of Jess Walter’s Bestseller ‘Beautiful Ruin

This'll give me the needed motivation to get around to reading Walters' book. Been in my to-read pile for some time.
Old 04-09-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's about time he picked his next project. Little Children came out way back in 2006.
Old 04-09-13, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
It's about time he picked his next project. Little Children came out way back in 2006.
After In The Bedroom in 2001, I'd almost forgotten about him in the 5 years until Little Children came out.

I wish he'd do more projects. After this film comes out, it'll probably be 2019 before we see another one.
Old 04-09-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

It's probably been so long because he was working on an adaptation of "Blood Meridian". That fell through
Old 04-09-13, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I just remembered I created another thread about a different movie Field is going to make. I believe Creed of Violence is coming first, not this.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...le-2014-a.html
Old 04-10-13, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I just remembered I created another thread about a different movie Field is going to make. I believe Creed of Violence is coming first, not this.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...le-2014-a.html
So this movie may be out in around 2017. haha