DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rush (2013) (D: Ron Howard; S: Hemsworth, Bruhl, Wilde) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/609905-rush-2013-d-ron-howard%3B-s-hemsworth-bruhl-wilde.html)

dex14 04-08-13 09:01 AM

Rush (2013) (D: Ron Howard; S: Hemsworth, Bruhl, Wilde)

A biography of Formula 1 champion driver Niki Lauda and the 1976 crash that almost claimed his life. Mere weeks after the accident, he got behind the wheel to challenge his rival, James Hunt.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yYiZbWyYey0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

astrochimp 04-09-13 11:13 AM

Re: Rush (2013) (D: Ron Howard; S: Hemsworth, Bruhl, Wilde)

I am a huge racing fan so this is a must see for me.

Dr Mabuse 04-09-13 11:17 AM

The fact that the excellent Lili Zanuck film will be associated with yet another lousy, or mediocre at best, Ron Howard film really rustles my jimmies.

Superman07 04-09-13 12:06 PM

Been looking forward to this one. :up:

Autotelik 09-15-13 10:31 PM

I'm really psyched to see this. Very good metacritic score right now. It's supposed to have a limited release in the US on Sept 20, then wide on Sept 27.

Anyone know which markets will get the limited release on 9/20? Tried looking on their website but doesn't say. Hoping SF gets an early peek.

RocShemp 09-15-13 10:38 PM

The trailers make it look like absolute shit. But the excellent reviews have me interested.

Guru Askew 09-15-13 11:14 PM

Can't wait to see that enormous drum set up on the big screen.

E Unit 09-16-13 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Autotelik (Post 11836032)
I'm really psyched to see this. Very good metacritic score right now. It's supposed to have a limited release in the US on Sept 20, then wide on Sept 27.

Anyone know which markets will get the limited release on 9/20? Tried looking on their website but doesn't say. Hoping SF gets an early peek.

Nothing's been advertised here in Austin, but they're had a couple of sneaks of it so far. I know Ron Howard has made a few visits to the city to promote it, as well as to visit for Formula One, which is coming up in November.

mdc3000 09-16-13 08:05 AM

I saw the premiere of this at TIFF and it was fantastic. Bruhl is phenomenal as Lauda, the music by Zimmer is great and Howard keeps things moving with great style (thankfully the Ron Howard who directed Frost/Nixon showed up for this one, not the DaVinci Code phoning it in hack Ron Howard. When he makes a film, you never know which one you're going to get). If you're even a bit intrigued by the real life premise, you're going to love this movie.

TomOpus 09-16-13 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11836040)
The trailers make it look like absolute shit.

I thought the racing scenes in the trailers looked very good and made the movie very interesting to me. I bet the audio mix is off the charts.

arminius 09-16-13 03:02 PM

I cannot wait to see this. The first good racing movie since Grand Prix or Le Mans. I really want to see the racing in The Green Hell, that should be good.

The drivers in those days were completely different than today as was the atmosphere.

Dr. DVD 09-16-13 03:08 PM

I am curious if this movie is about Lauda as much as Hunt. The previews make it seem like Hunt is the main character, but I think that has more to do with Hemsworth being a recognizable face.

Ash Ketchum 09-16-13 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11837016)
I cannot wait to see this. The first good racing movie since Grand Prix or Le Mans. I

What, no love for Elvis?
(Was it SPINOUT or SPEEDWAY that was his great racing movie?)

Dr. DVD 09-16-13 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11837073)
What, no love for Elvis?
(Was it SPINOUT or SPEEDWAY that was his great racing movie?)

I think it was Viva Las Vegas .

Burnt Thru 09-16-13 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 11837032)
I am curious if this movie is about Lauda as much as Hunt. The previews make it seem like Hunt is the main character, but I think that has more to do with Hemsworth being a recognizable face.

It focuses on both pretty equally I'd say. Very good film btw, particularly the Lauda parts. Not entirely historically accurate of course, but then what do you really expect from a movie..

Dr. DVD 09-16-13 05:59 PM

I am happy to see that this is shaping up to be a year where some fine actors might finally get the recognition and attention they deserve. Bruhl will hopefully benefit from this while Chiwetel Ejiofor gets some acclaim for 12 Years a Slave.

Bluelitespecial 09-20-13 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 11836753)
I thought the racing scenes in the trailers looked very good and made the movie very interesting to me. I bet the audio mix is off the charts.

Saw it last night, and yes the racing scenes were awesome along with the audio. Ron Howard did a great job with this one, hopefully its does well.

Ash Ketchum 09-20-13 01:47 PM

I was a little upset that it was at so few theaters in New York and each theater's showtimes were massively inconvenient to me, but then I read that it's a limited release for now, with more theaters rolling out next week. I can wait. But the reviews are very good and I'm actually interested in seeing this.

mrhan 09-20-13 06:15 PM

I was a Lauda and F1 fan even as a kid. I still have an unbuilt Tamiya Ferrari 312T model kit from the 70's and his AFX slot car. I can't wait to see this movie.

Strevlac 09-20-13 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11837016)
The first good racing movie since Grand Prix or Le Mans.

http://philelmore.us/wp-content/uplo...L__SS500_1.jpg

Autotelik 09-20-13 07:59 PM

Looks like I'll get a chance to see this this weekend after all. One theater is playing it in the entire SF area. Woohoo.... don't have to wait until next weekend and I'm dying to see this.

zekeburger1979 09-21-13 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew (Post 11836091)
Can't wait to see that enormous drum set up on the big screen.

http://images.wikia.com/en.futurama/...ing_Squint.jpg

Originally Posted by Strevlac (Post 11842377)

I caught this on HBO a couple of years ago. The movie is by the numbers. Diane Lane was absolutely gorgeous in this movie.

hanshotfirst1138 09-24-13 09:55 PM

If Anthony Dod Mantle is the DP, I'm assuming the film was shot digitally? Don't shoot a period movie set in the 70s digitally. That's just wrong man. Anyway, looking forward to this. I was hoping that it would get a LIEMAX release at my local AMC because word is the sound mix will be killer, but I'm supposing it'll just be regular release. Still looking forward to it anyway. I'm a bit of a gearhead (Couldn't fix a car or anything to save my life, but I'm from Detroit, love the aesthetics.), and the period detail will probably be lots of fun.

Why So Blu? 09-24-13 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113 (Post 11847080)
If Anthony Dod Mantle is the DP, I'm assuming the film was shot digitally? Don't shoot a period movie set in the 70s digitally. That's just wrong man. Anyway, looking forward to this. I was hoping that it would get a LIEMAX release at my local AMC because word is the sound mix will be killer, but I'm supposing it'll just be regular release. Still looking forward to it anyway. I'm a bit of a gearhead (Couldn't fix a car or anything to save my life, but I'm from Detroit, love the aesthetics.), and the period detail will probably be lots of fun.

It does look digital and they used cgi to make it look like it was filmed in that period. The last film I saw that actually looked great and matched the time period was the Bank Job remake with Jason Statham. That one looked awesome.

This one looks cool but way to artificially slick.

Autotelik 09-27-13 01:52 AM

Can't say I'm not biased, being a F1 fanatic, but this was very enjoyable. The sound was phenomenal.