Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread
4.35%
6.52%
17.39%
10.87%
19.57%
8.70%
8.70%
4.35%
4.35%
2.17%
0%
Evil Dead? More like just...you know what? Fuck you and this film.
13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We don't have a Reviews Thread for this. And...I never noticed all the work scott1598 puts into this. Soooooo I'm going to copy the fucker in format...or try. How long does it take you, man?

Movie:
...you know what fucking movie this is.

Released Date:
4/5/2013

Rating:
R (for strong bloody violence and gore, some sexual content and language)

Running Time:
92 minutes

The Budget:
$17,000,000 (estimated)

The Fucking Plot:
Spoiler:
Five twenty-something fucks become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only bitch is left intact to fight for survival.

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh: 79 Rotten: 43 (65% as of 4/08/13)

The Fucking Trailer:
<iframe width="710" height="465" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHDJm1D2ELw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is your fucking poster art:

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-08-13 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

You make me so fucking tired of the word fuck and all it's motherfucking permutations.

Fucker.
Old 04-08-13, 09:28 AM
Banned

But does it stop you from fucking?

On topic:

Saw this film on Friday. I really enjoyed it. Solid color palette, editing was good, direction was really strong, effects were pretty badass too. It's flaw is probably the script and maybe time itself.

Taking it as it's own film, it's one of the better ones we've gotten here in the US. For me at least, I don't go out to horror much so maybe I'm skewed in understanding how bad the genre is lately. Easily the best of the remakes of the fad we've had for a while here.

I'm actually very surprised how controlled Alvarez's direction is. This could have gone bad but the direction holds strong. I think Strevlac (wtf happened to him?) made a quip about the color timing, but I think it suited it well. It's palette is well surrounded in various scenes that amplify the imagery well.

I know none of these actors but for what they had, in terms of script, they did their best. David (Fernandez) and Mia (Levy) have the most work on them. While the others are underwritten and forgettable for the most part. Though the original film had mostly forgettable characters as well...until Ash gets his shit in gear. I understand what David's role in this is but as much as he takes a stronger presence the more it can be noticed that he's underwritten as well. I've got no issue w/ Mia. She has her part and she rocks it. The script itself has the issue that we don't really connect to anyone and when we possibly do...it's too late. That could have been strengthened better.

The reworking of the ED plot for the modern works in some ways and in others it doesn't. While the gist of the plot works well, it is some minor additions to it that hurt it. I think it tries too hard into getting the audience into understand what the hell they're getting into over just throwing them into the world.

In comparing both films, Raimi's film is a dirty, inventive, and crazy masterpiece. It's defining for a reason. Alvarez's film is all kinds of wonder in technical but that script holds it back to just getting dirty. Even when it's covered in blood. It's not amazing and it's not the Evil Dead you know. But should it be? It's a good film.

In all technical aspects of the film, I've no issue. It's A+ technical. Alright narrative. B+.

I'll easily get the BD on the day it's released. I do hope for some solid features, along w/ my hoping of a Raimi/Campbell commentary on it. I do miss some elements that were in the trailer but not featured in the film itself. I do wonder if they would be added to the unrated or just dropped as deleted elements.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-08-13 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
But does it stop you from fucking?
Ha! the jokes one you! I never started fucking!

Oh wait... Fuck.
Old 04-08-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

we had a master chief (in the navy) on board the USS IOWA-BB61 that used to begin a sentence with fuck, interrupt the sentence with fuck and end the sentence with fuck. It took me like 2 years to get that out of my system when I came out. lol
Old 04-08-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by csant
when I came out
How long ago was that and how did your family take it? Whatever the case, congratulations on accepting who you are.
Old 04-08-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Rofl... good one.

Its been a while and wifey wasnt too happy in the beginning. Now I only say fuck when Im upset.
Old 04-08-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
Rofl... good one.

Its been a while and wifey wasnt too happy in the beginning. Now I only say fuck when Im upset.
Do you still like seamen?
Old 04-08-13, 11:53 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Gave it 3/5 -- thought it was slightly above average for an unnecessary remake.
Old 04-08-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Gave it ** 1/2 out of five. Had its moments, but overall pretty meh.

To the OP: language, language....
Old 04-08-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just got back in from seeing this one. I fucking loved it. Of all the horror remakes/reboots coming our way, this one takes the top spot on my list. Tons of blood, gore and nods to the original. Did anyone else stick around for the tiny bit after the credits?
Old 04-08-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It was just so gross and gory, I don't really know how I feel about it. But Jane Levy got hotter as more and more blood was splattered all over her and her clothing.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 04-08-13, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it's gory. Arriving as the latest in the seemingly endless spate of remakes, Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert, and Bruce Campbell themselves are on board as producers for the newest, hereafter called Evil Dead 4. For those familiar with the original, the storyline remains largely the same: a group of friends gather at a secluded cabin in the woods, though this time, instead of trying to party it down, they're attempting to a help a friend through detox. But one of them discovers a mysterious book in the basement, inked in blood and bound in flesh, and unleashes some very angry and vengeful demonic spirits, leading to a hell of a bloodbath.

Raimi's original film isn't the most substantiate film. It's storyline is paper thin, its characters are underwritten (Raimi himself is amusingly game in the DVD commentary, poking fun at many of the film's flaws), and it's obviously made on the cheap. But what it did have in spades, fleshed out even further in its mega-cult sequels, was a personality. Raimi's endless manic camera work and Bruce Campbell's endearing square-jawed hero Ash Williams have made the films choice cult-favorite for decades. Raimi managed to pitch the near-impossible high-wire act of blending dark humor with visceral horror, creating a film with a sense of identity to with its notoriety. Once you looked past the initial shock value, Evil Dead was a weird piece of art, its many striking visuals delivered by a director who, however young, however green, however unruly, was distinctive. First time-director Fede Alvaraez is clearly a horror fan as well, and there's no denying the new Evil Dead's a fanboy film, full of loads of splatter and gore, and it's an intense ride.

But even at its most violent, Raimi's films felt like some sort of weird modern pop-art. Like Dario Argento at his best, even the most gory shots were executed with a sort of artistic flair. Even today, the film, however dated and crude, tingles with a raw energy, manic imagination, and black humor. Alvarez takes a different route, going for a post-millennium endurance test-style horror film. That's not a bad thing, and Evil Dead 4 is reasonably entertaining as a balls-to-the-walls thrill ride. But it lacks the panache of Raimi's original, and more importantly, it's iconic lead (though those who stay through the credits will be treated to a delightful five-second cameo from Campbell himself). Indeed, part of the problem with the film is that it seems to switch protagonists around it's three-quarter mark. But that's just symptomatic of a larger issue: every character in the film is a dumb as rocks, and unfortunately, that joke seems to be lost on the filmmakers. As the charcters wander around cellars in spite of seeing dead bodies and refuses to turn on the lights as they approach their friends in the dark, you kind of want to hit them.

Alvarez piles on the gore in mountains, with many a cringe-worthy moment, including a number of salacious closeups on the damage that can be done to the human body, but while it'll elicit many groans from the audience, it never encourages the audience to care enough to be involved beyond wondering about the makeup effects rather than caring about any of the film's characters. The film maintains an intense tone throughout, for many horror fans, there's bound to be a certain glee in the film's relentlessness. But the world looks different now, and there's just no recapturing the uniquely raw tone of the original where Raimi deftly mixed with jet black humor. The shocks now feel like they're trying too hard shock rather than just playing their hand-the infamous tree-rape restaged as a weird tentacle hentai-esque, for instance. Ultimately, the attempts at viscera lead to exhaustion, as the film descends into buckets of gore and raining literal blood. For genre fans, this might be some sort of perverse fun. There are a handful of striking images-Mia standing in front of a flaming cabin, the film's money shot of a head being spit in two with a chainsaw, but without Raimi's panache, the audience might eventually start to feel numb.

In the end, the flaws in the original film are simultaneously what make it work. By sanding off its edge, by being conscious of itself, Evil Dead 4 is to some extent undone by its eagerness to please. The original wasn't a classic at the time, just a gleefully creative work by a direction anxious to scare. Raimi's electrifying camera work and crazed sense of style weren't out to do anything other than play things straight, it had no shoes to fill. Raimi seemed to throw everything at the wall and make most of it stick, connecting his many images together into a bizarre but somehow distinctive whole. The new film seems too controlled, too conscious of the past, too interested in living up to expectation. Everything feels so calculated that the inensity feels manufactured rather than visceral. This gives the film its own charms, and many horror fans will likely take to its no-holds barred mayhem. It's a certain kind of fun, but quite the distinctive kind that makes the original film such a unique thrill ride. Raimi, Campbell, Tapert, and Alvarez have all done their best, but you get the sense that we've all sort of grown up a bit, and maybe this should've tried to stand by itself rather than throw its hat in the right with the much-loved series. It isn't as good as it could be, but it isn't terrible either. In the end, where Raimi managed to balance between two extremes, Alvarez sort of falls into the middle and negates them, tilting instead on the side of splattery thrill ride. It's fine, but will it inspire the cult fervor the original did and be remember 25 years down the road? Probably not. But for cheer and scream multiplex horror, it does its job well enough.

I'll give it a B.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 10-05-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 02:50 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

You really think this can be considered "Evil Dead 4"?
Old 04-08-13, 03:12 PM
Banned

In a way it is.

But if from what I remember is correct. The real ED4 is now Army of Darkness 2. This remake will have a sequel. And the the sequel to the remake's sequel will also be a sequel to AoD2. Where both worlds and heroes will collide. That's what they want.
Old 04-08-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Well, it's gory. Arriving as the latest in the seemingly endless spate of remakes, Sam Raimi, Robert Tapert, and Bruce Campbell themselves are on board as producer for the newest, hereafter called Evil Dead 4. For those familiar with the original, the storyline remains largely the same: a group of friends gather at a secluded cabin in the woods, though this time, instead of trying to party it down, they're attempting to a help a friend through detox. But one of them discovers a mysterious book in the basement, inked in blood and bound in flesh, and unleashes some very angry and vengeful demonic spirits, leading to a hell of a bloodbath.

Raimi's original film isn't the most substantiate film. It's storyline is paper thin, its characters are underwritten (Raimi himself is amusingly game in the DVD commentary, poking fun at many of the film's flaws), and it's obviously made on the cheap. But what it did have in spades, fleshed out even further in its mega-cult sequels, was a personality. Raimi's endless manic camera work and Bruce Campbell's endearing square-jawed hero Ash Williams have made the films choice cult-favorite for decades. Raimi managed to pitch the near-impossible high-wire act of blending dark humor with visceral horror, creating a film with a sense of identity to with its notoriety. Once you looked past the initial shock value, Evil Dead was a weird piece of art, its many striking visuals delivered by a director who, however young, however green, however unruly, was distinctive. First time-director Fede Alvaraez is clearly a horror fan as well, and there's no denying the new Evil Dead's a fanboy film, full of loads of splatter and gore, and it's an intense ride.

But even at its most violent, Raimi's films felt like some sort of weird modern pop-art. Like Dario Argento at his best, even the most gory shots were executed with a sort of artistic flair. Even today, the film, however dated and crude, tingles with a raw energy, manic imagination, and black humor. Alvarez takes a different route, going for a post-millennium endurance test-style horror film. That's not a bad thing, and Evil Dead 4 is reasonably entertaining as a balls-to-the-walls thrill ride. But it lacks the panache of Raimi's original, and more importantly, it's iconic lead (though those who stay through the credits will be treated to a delightful five-second cameo from Campbell himself). Indeed, part of the problem with the film is that it seems to switch protagonists around it's three-quarter mark. But that's just symptomatic of a larger issue: every character in the film is a dumb as rocks, and unfortunately, that joke seems to be lost on the filmmakers. As the charcters wander around cellars in spite of seeing dead bodies and refuses to turn on the lights as they approach their friends in the dark, you kind of want to hit them.

Alvarez piles on the gore in mountains, but but while there are many cringe-worthy, including a number of salacious closeups on the damage that can be done to the human body, but while it'll elicit many groans from the audience, it never encourages the audience to care enough to be involved beyond wondering about the makeup effects rather than caring about any of the film's characters. The film maintains an intense tone throughout, for many horror fans, there's bound to be a certain glee in the film's relentlessness. But the world looks different now, and there's just no recapturing the uniquely raw tone of the original that Raimi deftly mixed with jet black humor. The shocks now feel like they're trying too hard shock rather than just playing their hand-the infamous tree-rape restaged as a weird tentacle hentai-esque, for instance. Ultimately, the attempts at viscera lead to exhaustion, as the film descends into buckets of gore and raining literal blood. For genre fans, this might be some sort of perverse fun. But apart from a handful of striking images-Mia standing in front of a flaming cabin, the film's money shot of a head being spit in two with a chainsaw, but without Raimi's panache, the audience might eventually start to feel numb.

In the end, the flaws in the original film are simultaneously what make it work. By sanding off its edge, by being conscious of itself, Evil Dead 4 is to some extent undone by its eagerness to please. The original wasn't a classic at the time, just a gleefully creative work by a direction anxious to scare. Raimi's electrifying camera work and crazed sense of style weren't out to do anything other than play things straight, it had no shoes to fill. Raimi seemed to throw everything at the wall and make most of it stick, connecting his many images together into a bizarre but somehow distinctive whole. The new film seems too controlled, too conscious of the past, too interested in living up to expectation. Everything feels so calculated that the inensity feels manufactured rather than visceral. This gives the film its own charms, and many horror fans will likely take to its no-holds barred mayhem. It's a certain kind of fun, but quite the distinctive kind that makes the original film such a unique thrill ride. Raimi, Campbell, Tapert, and Alvarez have all done their best, but you get the sense that we've all sort of grown up a bit, and maybe this should've tried to stand by itself rather than throw its hat in the right with the much-loved series. It isn't as good as it could be, but it isn't terrible either. In the end, where Raimi managed to balance between two extremes, Alvarez sort of falls into the middle and negates them, tilting instead on the side of splattery thrill ride. It's fine, but will it inspire the cult fervor the original did and be remember 25 years down the road? Probably not. But for cheer and scream multiplex horror, it does its job well enough.

I'll give it a B.

Trying to become a movie critic?
Old 04-08-13, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like few things better. In the short term, at the very least.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-08-13 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-08-13, 05:31 PM
Banned

What?
Old 04-08-13, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What?
I'm none too fond of the job I have. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with my life at the moment, but I've been stagnating for years now, damn near anything would be an improvement.
Old 04-08-13, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I'm none too fond of the job I have. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do with my life at the moment, but I've been stagnating for years now, damn near anything would be an improvement.
Groovy
Old 04-08-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Groovy
Not so far.
Old 04-08-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Enjoyed the FX work & Cinematography, but that's about it.
Old 04-09-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In a way it is.

But if from what I remember is correct. The real ED4 is now Army of Darkness 2. This remake will have a sequel. And the the sequel to the remake's sequel will also be a sequel to AoD2. Where both worlds and heroes will collide. That's what they want.
Yes. Raimi's proposed idea is to make AoD2 as a direct continuation to the Ashley Williams trilogy. ED2 (not to be confused with TED2) will probably continua Mia's story. Finally, a third film will be released which will marry both continuities and thus close this out as a new trilogy.

However, last I read, that's still just an idea and nothing concrete. Which is probably why they didn't use the portal ending for ED.
Old 04-09-13, 10:05 AM
Banned

True. From an interview I saw with Campbell, Alvarez, and Tapert. It seems that Alvarez is the one that really wants to get the worlds together. I'm game.

Campbell has recently mentioned that even though Ash is older, he may not exactly be wiser. I saw AoD again yesterday. I like the film but at the same time it went further in a direction I wished it wouldn't. Too much comedy as the tone. Whereas ED2 balanced out the genres it was working in. Also Ash is a dick in AoD. Always weirded me out with that aspect of his character going that way.
Old 04-09-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I mostly enjoyed it as a remake. I liked the nods to the original film and I also liked that they changed enough of it to make it it's own film. The characters were basically all forgettable but it's a horror movie so that's sort of to be expected. I also enjoyed the post credits scene.

The one thing I would comment on that sort of bothered me is the gore seemed excessive. It pretty much felt like the filmmakers were just trying to rely on shock value for their scares. The film itself to me didn't scare me a bit and was mostly just kind of gross. Granted I realize the original Evil Dead has it's share of gore and gross parts too but it also actually had some scares and created a better atmosphere. This in a lot of ways just seemed lacking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.