Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread
4.35%
6.52%
17.39%
10.87%
19.57%
8.70%
8.70%
4.35%
4.35%
2.17%
0%
Evil Dead? More like just...you know what? Fuck you and this film.
13.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Evil Dead (Alvarez, 2013) El Reviews Thread

No, it was a legitimate rape, Mr. Akin.
Old 07-23-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Watching repeat eps. of Suburgatory really helps one appreciate Jane Levy's acting range. That and ED are complete 180s and she pulls it off well. They need to have a sequel where both she and a character played by Tatiana Maslany get taken over and make out like crazy.
Old 08-19-13, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were disappointed in the remake (as I was), you may want to check out the Swedish film WITHER, which comes out tomorrow. Is it a shameless rip-off of THE EVIL DEAD? Yes, but it's more in line with Raimi's original vision than the remake and I liked how it didn't pull any punches.
Old 08-19-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad enough we gotta deal with remakes but now your condoning plagiarism? What in the world....

Last edited by Tom Creo; 08-19-13 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched this on Starz last night, it felt more like the movie Cabin Fever. I missed the humor Ash had so I couldn't really get into it. I give it a C.
Old 11-12-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is on cable already? Jeez, what's the turnaround for films now? I remember when it took at least a year for a movie to show up on a premium channel.
Old 11-13-13, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How else are you gonna make that dolla dolla, yo?
Old 11-13-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
How else are you gonna make that dolla dolla, yo?
Dolla dolla? Man, shut yo stupid ass mouth before I make you holla holla by slapping it.
Old 11-13-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I watched this on Starz last night, it felt more like the movie Cabin Fever. I missed the humor Ash had so I couldn't really get into it. I give it a C.
The original Evil Dead wasn't particularly humorous. That didn't really start until Evil Dead 2.
Old 11-13-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not in terms of the overt "splatstick," but there is a bit of an edge of black humor that runs through the first movie. If you listen to the commentary track, Raimi is pretty straightforward about bits that look a little bit dated or silly, it's clear that although the film isn't overtly comic, the filmmakers weren't necessarily taking it too seriously.
Old 11-13-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Not in terms of the overt "splatstick," but there is a bit of an edge of black humor that runs through the first movie. If you listen to the commentary track, Raimi is pretty straightforward about bits that look a little bit dated or silly, it's clear that although the film isn't overtly comic, the filmmakers weren't necessarily taking it too seriously.
The views in the commentary are more in hindsight. The first was definitely a serious horror film. That's way the KNB guys were shocked at the really goofy ideas Sam Raimi had for the sequel.

In any case, the original still rocks (despite the bad acting) and the only redeeming elements of the remake are Jane Levy's performance (it's as if she sucked the talent right out of her co-stars and hogged it all for herself) and the gore. Everything else was pretty generic.
Old 06-02-15, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was on FX. You can now show NC-17 gore on basic cable. Amazing. They only made minor trims to the violence. Can't say the F word though.
Old 06-02-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Did it have a tv rating of MA or 14? Just curious
Old 06-02-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Did it have a tv rating of MA or 14? Just curious
TV-14, which surprised me too. I thought it'd at least get a TV-MA rating.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-03-15 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-30-20, 12:19 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

After decades of begging for the return of Ash in a fourth Evil Dead, fans were offered a glimpse of hope in the closing seconds of the Fede Alvarez-directed Evil Dead back in 2013.

While Bruce Campbell didn’t appear in the actual film, which Alvarez has previously explained is a direct sequel to Sam Raimi‘s The Evil Dead (1981), he does cameo in the final seconds of the end credits. But before this playful “button” was tacked onto the credits, Alvarez had planned to have Ash actually appear in the film’s epilogue, sharing the screen with Mia.

In the extended cut of the film, Jane Levy‘s Mia is picked up on the road by a truck driver after her horrifying ordeal. The original plan, Alvarez confirms in a chat with Bloody Disgusting’s The Boo Crew Podcast this week, was for the truck driver to be Ash Williams.

“The true story was… I wanted Bruce Campbell to be that guy, I wanted Ash to be the guy that picks her up,” Alvarez confirms.

Ultimately, it was Campbell himself who shot down the idea.

Alvarez explains, “I shot it in a way that was very simple for me to get Bruce and get him to do the cameo at the end. But then Bruce was like – and he was totally right – ‘I just feel like it’s gonna be like I’m the milkman and just show up…and I think that’s not special.’ [Bruce] was right, it was very hard to give a real reason why Ash will show up, and a coincidence that Ash would drive by and find a dying Mia. So, he decided not to do it. I did do a mock-up of it. So there’s a version of that ending, with Bruce’s face glued to [the truck driver’s face].”

As for the actual button at the end of the credits where Bruce exclaims, “Groovy,” Alvarez offers this fun anecdote from the sound mix, which Campbell was highly engaged in.

He recalls, “One day I just show up with a very small camera and was like, ‘Come with me, Bruce.’ I took the lamp from my desk, I put it behind him and another in front of him, and he’s like, ‘What the fuck are we doing?’ I was like, ‘We’re doing your cameo in the movie!’ And he’s like, ‘You’re kidding?!’ I was like, ‘Yeah, yeah, you’re going to be in the movie and you’re going to be standing there, and you’re just going to look at me for a second and just say groovy.’ It was a very low budget shot.”

Not only did Alvarez originally want Ash to appear in his Evil Dead, firmly tying the film to the original classic, but he also confirms that the plan for the sequel was an Ash/Mia team-up!

Alvarez has been teasing an Ash-Mia team-up since the San Diego Comic-Con back in 2013. Now, he reveals to the Boo Crew that they had actually worked out a story for that sequel.

“We started writing a sequel [right away] – thinking about what the sequel is going to be. We all agreed it was going to happen,” Alvarez reveals. “Rodo [Sayagues] and I started thinking about it. We had the full story and then basically, it was strange…the whole intention was to do that, to team [Ash and Mia] up. That was always the goal, but I think Sam had different goals. Sam wanted to have Bruce back for the TV show that came out a few years after that. It was complex to make the movie at the time and whatever mythology we were going to create with them, and it would have been complicated for the show because Sam had his own ideas of what would happen to Ash, and he wanted to tell that story.”

“So that’s why…it [ended up] not happening,” he adds.

Alvarez had also toyed with the idea of Ash and Mia being related, he tells The Boo Crew. “We did have a lot of intentions of doing that,” he says. “And she still might be related. If she is, she doesn’t know. We had a very complex character past for [Mia]. And David. They were siblings but they had different parents – different fathers. So yes, they might be related.”

The current plan for the Evil Dead film franchise, alas, is a new movie from a new director that likely won’t be connected to Alvarez’s film at all. That movie is in the works as we speak.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/interv...ene-exclusive/