Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jersey Boys - The Movie (2014, Eastwood)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-13, 10:33 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

With a planned remake of A Star Is Born stymied by casting issues, Clint Eastwood is close to moving his attention to his next project. And another music-based project might be his choice.

Word has spread around Hollywood that the legendary filmmaker has set his sights on an adaptation of the hit Broadway musical Jersey Boys. Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Eastwood is in talks with production entity GK Films and Warner Bros. to take on the high-profile project, though neither the studio nor the production company or Eastwood's reps would confirm the negotiations.

Based on the mega-hit Tony-winning musical, the story chronicles the rise of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons and the group's eventual breakup.

Jon Favreau (Iron Man) had been attached to direct the big-screen adaptation, which originally was set up at Columbia Pictures. Producer Graham King moved the project to Warner Bros. in September after he inked a first-look deal with the studio. But six weeks later, Warners put Jersey Boys in turnaround.

Sources say there were some conversations with Fox, but now that Eastwood is in the picture, the project could be heading back to Warners.

Eastwood, whose most recent film as director was 2011's J. Edgar (he starred in and produced but did not direct September's Trouble With the Curve), has long been looking to bring A Star Is Born back to the big screen. Grammy winner Esperanza Spalding is the current choice to star, but that project is having difficulty casting a male lead, with a number of stars passing (Sean Penn's name being the latest to surface).

Insiders say Eastwood would look to direct Jersey Boys, then follow with Star Is Born.

The musical genre appears to be alive and well in Hollywood, with a several hits spawned in 2012, including Les Miserables and Pitch Perfect, the latter of which has a sequel in development.

Jersey Boys -- with music by Bob Gaudio, lyrics by Bob Crewe and book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice -- opened on Broadway in 2005 and won four Tony Awards, including best musical. John Logan (Hugo) adapted the screenplay. The soundtrack would boast such jukebox favorites as "Big Girls Don't Cry," "Sherry" and "Rag Doll."

Last edited by dex14; 04-04-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Jersey Boys - The Movie

I've seen this show once, and have tickets to go again this year. I'd watch a movie version.
Old 04-03-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Anyone else misread the title as Jerky Boys and thought it was a resurrected thread?
Old 04-03-13, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Anyone else misread the title as Jerky Boys and thought it was a resurrected thread?
Yes but I thought it might be someone who finally saw Jerky Boys and made a new thread. Hmm.*Jules has a thread idea.*
Old 04-03-13, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Yep. I was like oh I remember that movie.
Old 04-03-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I really like Jersey Boys (and I usually loathe revue-style musicals where they chain together existing songs and try to make a story out of them - like Mama Mia, Rock of Ages). This one works though. It's really fun -- I've seen it thrice since it opened in Vegas.

Two problems :
1) It requires a very specific leading actor. Jean Valjean could look like anyone who was at least 40 and strong-appearing. This musical requires a lead who can not only sing, but sing falsetto and in a manner very similar to Frankie Valley. He must also be unusually short - shorter than all his male co-stars. If you go in with that requirement, you might find an Eddie Redmayne-type to do a serviceable job or a phenomenal unknown, but you won't get a star in the lead roll. And if Phantom and Rent showed anything it's that the public doesn't want to see a movie musical unless it features major stars in the lead roles.

2) Hate to say it, but Eastwood has become a very lazy director. He churns out movies fast, but I sometimes gets the feeling that he never wants to do more than one take of a scene. His style doesn't seem to jive with what needs to be done to make a movie musical work (i.e. many takes).
Old 04-04-13, 03:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I really like Jersey Boys (and I usually loathe revue-style musicals where they chain together existing songs and try to make a story out of them - like Mama Mia, Rock of Ages). This one works though. It's really fun -- I've seen it thrice since it opened in Vegas.

Two problems :
1) It requires a very specific leading actor. Jean Valjean could look like anyone who was at least 40 and strong-appearing. This musical requires a lead who can not only sing, but sing falsetto and in a manner very similar to Frankie Valley. He must also be unusually short - shorter than all his male co-stars. If you go in with that requirement, you might find an Eddie Redmayne-type to do a serviceable job or a phenomenal unknown, but you won't get a star in the lead roll. And if Phantom and Rent showed anything it's that the public doesn't want to see a movie musical unless it features major stars in the lead roles.

2) Hate to say it, but Eastwood has become a very lazy director. He churns out movies fast, but I sometimes gets the feeling that he never wants to do more than one take of a scene. His style doesn't seem to jive with what needs to be done to make a movie musical work (i.e. many takes).
but in order for that to work, you'd have to cast actors who have the done the stage production and say "filming... wait, NOW!... and act!" - movie actors need multiple takes, most stage actors don't have that crutch.
Old 04-04-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Justin Timberlake would be pretty good if you need someone known. I don't care if he's not short enough; just cast taller actors around him and have them wear lifts or something.

He just worked with Eastwood, so they have some familiarity.
Old 04-04-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I didn't read it as Jerky Boys but my mind did read it as "Jersey Shore - The Movie" so I ignored this thread all day out of disgust.
Old 04-04-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

revue-style musicals where they chain together existing songs and try to make a story out of them
this style of musical is called a "jukebox musical"
Old 04-04-13, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think Justin Timberlake would be pretty good if you need someone known. I don't care if he's not short enough; just cast taller actors around him and have them wear lifts or something.

He just worked with Eastwood, so they have some familiarity.
Now there is a name actor who can actually sing falsetto. He's not really Italian looking, but maybe you can work around that with make-up. His new look for 20/20 experience shows he can pull off the period look well. Unfortunately, Google informs me he's 6'1" and that would be hard to work around. Otherwise, I like the casting.
Old 04-05-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is Valli's height a plot point or at least a topic of dialogue? I don't recall since it's been a while since I saw it.
Old 04-05-13, 11:29 AM

Yeah, they make a few jokes about it. Plus it's a well-known thing -- every time he was on the Sopranos, the other guys were making wisecracks about his height.

And I don't think it's an easy thing to fix. Watch Julia & Julia again (shudder), as much work as they put in to try and make Meryl Streep look tall, it never came off right and always looked more like a camera trick.
Old 04-05-13, 11:50 AM

The other thing is that his height is more than just referenced in the dialogue. It's sort of iconic in the appearance of the band.

If you want 6'1" Justin Timberlake to play Valli, then you have to surround him with NBA players to make it work.
Old 04-05-13, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't they just do all that forced perpective shit like they do for hobbits??
Old 04-05-13, 01:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, Jerky Boys had my attention - then I founds out it was...."Jersey" Boys. No thanks.
Old 04-12-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As it turns out, I saw the show last night and kept thinking of this thread.

But what a gas this show is. Considering the plot is pretty straightforward and the music is 50 years old, it's just a lot of fun and gets a huge burst of energy late in the first act when
Spoiler:
the band explodes into "Sherry."

I have to admit I didn't know much about the Four Seasons when I first saw the show. I knew a few songs from zeitgeist (especially "Oh What a Night"), and my first exposure to "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" was actually from The Benny Hill Show (a nice rendition by the angels).

Originally Posted by GuessWho
this style of musical is called a "jukebox musical"
The director of the theater's program notes said they prefer to consider it a "play with music" since the majority of songs are "performed" during the show rather than sung as character-builders. I know, whatever, but again I thought of this thread.

Yeah, they make a few jokes about it. Plus it's a well-known thing -- every time he was on the Sopranos, the other guys were making wisecracks about his height.

And I don't think it's an easy thing to fix. Watch Julia & Julia again (shudder), as much work as they put in to try and make Meryl Streep look tall, it never came off right and always looked more like a camera trick.
The other thing is that his height is more than just referenced in the dialogue. It's sort of iconic in the appearance of the band.

If you want 6'1" Justin Timberlake to play Valli, then you have to surround him with NBA players to make it work.
I did notice one joke about it. To be honest, I've seen that image of the band but without knowing about the height thing, I wouldn't know the short guy was Valli. And if they really wanted a taller lead, they could certainly trim that dialogue and hope no one knows about Valli's shortness or cares enough to complain about it. Thing is, I was watching the show and the other three guys in the band each get their chance to shine. I could see casting stars in those roles to draw the audience in, then offer an unknown as Valli. Sure, the unknown would get a lot of the publicity just because he'd be Frankie Valli, but if the audience is going to see Jersey Boys and the unknown sings like an angel, a lot would be forgiven. (The guy in our show last night was short, could sing the falsetto, looked Italian, and actually is from Jersey. Yes, he's played the role for quite a while. )
Old 07-24-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Christopher Walken will play Gyp De Carlo.

Christopher Walken, having already proved that he can sing (in the movie "Hairspray") and dance (in Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" music video), reportedly has been cast in Clint Eastwood's big-screen version of the Broadway musical "Jersey Boys."

Walken will play mobster Gyp De Carlo in the planned movie, which is expected to start shooting later this year. The supporting character -- who is based on the real-life member of the Genovese crime family -- serves as a Tom Hagen-like advisor to Frankie Valli and his cohort of aspiring singers.

The casting news, first reported by Deadline, is the first piece of casting announced for the Eastwood movie. It has been rumored that the director is casting the lead actors from the various stage productions of "Jersey Boys," but no announcement has been made.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,6337284.story
Old 01-03-14, 07:20 PM

Old 01-03-14, 11:14 PM

Two problems :
Well they did the most obvious thing they possibly could with the lead : They hired John Lloyd Young who originated the roll on Broadway and won a Tony for the part in 2006. He's a little old now for the roll, but clearly has the look and the voice, but certainly zero box office draw. In fact there's really no "names" in the cast besides Walkin (whose part is really small at least in the stage version), though I certainly think Vincent Piazza is great as Lucky Luciano in Boardwalk Empire. I can't imagine that I wouldn't go see the film as much as I love the show, but I really doubt there's any appeal here for the non-theater-going crowd.

That movie still above does very little to alleviate my concerns that the movie will just look like a filmed stage play
Old 04-17-14, 07:02 PM

Re: Jersey Boys - The Movie (2014, Eastwood)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tIl_DvaeILY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-18-14, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

doesn't look very good.
Old 04-18-14, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clint, Clint, Clint. What the fuck did you do?
Old 04-18-14, 08:05 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't know, it doesn't look bad at all to me.
Old 04-18-14, 08:17 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I could sit there and listen to that fucking voice. We'll get it for our Eastwood collection, but it might go on the side of never to be watched with a few others.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.