Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stonehearst Asylum (2014) (D: Brad Anderson; S: Sturgess, Beckinsale)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 08:24 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Jim Sturgess will star opposite Kate Beckinsale in Eliza Graves, the psychological thriller from Nu Image/Millennium.

Brad Anderson, who helmed the Halle Berry thriller The Call, is directing the tale, which is loosely based on one of Edgar Allan Poe’s early works, an 1845 short story titled The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether.

Sturgess will star as a Harvard Medical School grad who takes a job a mental institution which the inmates have taken over and are posing as doctors. He becomes obsessed with the title character (Beckinsale), one of the patients.

A June 21 production start date in Bulgaria is penciled in.

Producing are Bruce Davey, Mel Gibson, Mark Amin, Cami Winikoff and Oren Peli.

David Higgins,Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman are executive producing. Joe Gangemi wrote the script.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1772264/
Old 04-02-13, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Eliza Graves (2014) (D: Brad Anderson; S: Sturgess, Beckinsale)

i hope Anderson taps into some Session 9 influence... and not Vanishing on 7th Street.
Old 04-03-13, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
i hope Anderson taps into some Session 9 influence... and not Vanishing on 7th Street.
i'd settle for some TRANSSIBERIAN or THE MACHINIST influence

holy shit i just realized he directed THE CALL...what the fuck is this guy doing with himself.
Old 04-03-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
holy shit i just realized he directed THE CALL...what the fuck is this guy doing with himself.
He's becoming the next Andrew Niccol.
Old 06-25-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some more casting news. We'll see if it's any good. Premise sounds fairly interesting and Anderson has done some really good work. This seems right up his alley. David Thewlis and Brendan Gleeson have joined the film. Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley have also signed on.

WOW! Great cast.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Micha...ves-36917.html

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news...leeson-thewlis
Old 12-13-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread. I was able to buy the Stonehearst Asylum blu-ray back on Black Friday and just saw this movie today. Thought it was an enjoyable flick. As is my usual custom, I check on IMDB to see how it did on the box office and to read up on some trivia. For some reason, it did not have any box office numbers. I then found out that it was originally called Eliza Graves but could not find any box office info on it either. All I got from Wikipedia was that it was released Oct 24, 2014 so I looked throught the weekly box office reports on Box Office Guru but there was no info on or around that period. Finally, I searched in DVD Talk but there was no talk thread about this movie other than this.

Can anyone shed light on how this movie performed in the box office? It had fairly big name stars in Kate Beckinsale, Ben Kingsley, and Michael Caine. The only other explanation I can think of is that it went straight to video (though I doubt that would happen due to the fairly big name stars)
Old 12-14-15, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I was able to buy the Stonehearst Asylum blu-ray back on Black Friday and just saw this movie today. Thought it was an enjoyable flick. As is my usual custom, I check on IMDB to see how it did on the box office and to read up on some trivia. For some reason, it did not have any box office numbers. I then found out that it was originally called Eliza Graves but could not find any box office info on it either. All I got from Wikipedia was that it was released Oct 24, 2014 so I looked throught the weekly box office reports on Box Office Guru but there was no info on or around that period. Finally, I searched in DVD Talk but there was no talk thread about this movie other than this.

Can anyone shed light on how this movie performed in the box office? It had fairly big name stars in Kate Beckinsale, Ben Kingsley, and Michael Caine. The only other explanation I can think of is that it went straight to video (though I doubt that would happen due to the fairly big name stars)

It was decent.

http://whysoblu.com/stonehearst-asylum-blu-ray-review/
Old 12-14-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned

In most territories this movie was released straight to video. Having known stars in your movie is no longer a guarantee that it is getting theatrical distribution.

In total the movie grossed about $3m, mostly in non-english countries.