Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do you choose not to go see a movie in the theatre?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who do you choose to not see a movie in the theatre?
Money - Too expensive
40.00%
The Movie - If the premise or trailer aren't interesting I'll pass
41.67%
Too Lazy
21.67%
Crowds
40.00%
Prefer Home Video (DVD/BD)
20.83%
Price of Concessions (Popcorn, Soda, Snacks)
14.17%
Don't like the atmosphere of movie theatres
13.33%
Prefer Television - Not a movie-goer
4.17%
My schedule/Convenience factor - It's a pain the ass to make the time
41.67%
Other (Name your reason)
13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Why do you choose not to go see a movie in the theatre?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why do you choose not to go see a movie in the theatre?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The trailers bother me more and more. They're all cut and structured the same with those successions of eye-straining quick fades to black and that loud "Whoosh" sound or whatever it is they put in every trailer ad nauseum that sets my nervous system rattling. ("In a world where..." WHOOSH!--fade to black--"Such and such..." WHOOSH!--fade to black, etc.) Whatever mood of anticipation I had for the film I came to see is inevitably ruined by the trailers and I usually vow not to see any of the films advertised.
They're all edited by the same guy. I'm not kidding. I know him. And yeah, I agree with you.
Old 04-01-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most theatre chains suck and they're not advancing with the times to compete with the increasingly affordable home-theater systems. And those concessions? A bucket of shitty popcorn and a bucket of shitty Coke costs the same as a steak at Mortons. Seriously? I'm happy to pay a small premium for decent concessions but the typical movie theater concessions really suck. How many times can I get excited about fucking Raisinettes or that disgusting liquid cheese on those nachos? Give me something nice, like an egg roll, or how about a Starbucks mocha? Or here's something revolutionary that I used to see at the Gene Siskel film center in Chicago, how about a nice glass of beer or wine with that movie? They really need to figure out better concessions, because no one in their right mind pays caviar-prices for some crappy Red Vines.

Luckily where I live, there are great theaters like the Arclight, and I'll usually go there for movies I REALLY need to see in the theatre, but their $17 ticket price keeps me from going frivolously. This only hurts smaller movies that don't have the hype.
Old 04-01-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't go to a theater if I knew there were a lot of spiders there. I don't want spiders crawling all over me during a movie. Or ghosts.