Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Olympus has Fallen (2013) -- D: Fuqua, S: Butler, Freeman, Eckhart -- Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Olympus has Fallen?
F****** awesome.
16.18%
Good, not great. Still a fun movie
50.00%
It was just okay. It's a rental at best
13.24%
It sucked
8.82%
Will wait until DVD/BD.
4.41%
Won't see it. Not my thing
8.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Olympus has Fallen (2013) -- D: Fuqua, S: Butler, Freeman, Eckhart -- Reviews Thread

Old 03-24-13, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Olympus has Fallen (2013) -- D: Fuqua, S: Butler, Freeman, Eckhart -- Reviews Thr

Gerard Butler talked about doing an American accent on Stern last week...but after seeing this, he really did not do a good job masking his Scottish accent.

Rick Yune I hope gets more roles (as a hero too, he had promise in Iron Fists), he was good. Overall though, a disappointing flick, but definitely better than the latest Die Hard.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-25-13 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-24-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Olympus has Fallen (2013) -- D: Fuqua, S: Butler, Freeman, Eckhart -- Reviews Thr

Olympus Has Fallen exceeded even the most generous expectations with an impressive $30.5 million debut. That's the top action movie opening so far in 2013 ahead of A Good Day to Die Hard ($24.8 million); it's also more than the combined debuts of Parker, The Last Stand, Dead Man Down and Bullet to the Head.
Old 03-24-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Saw some of the early figures. That's a great weekend. Since the budget is only $70M I think the movie will easily make it's money back Stateside.

Alot of the recent R rated action movies have tanked in their opening weekend. So I'm happy to see this one do well. Last night I read through the Olympus has Fallen facebook page and I would say the majority of the comments were positive.
Old 03-25-13, 08:30 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Can we get more adventures of Mike Banning?
Old 03-25-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Gerard Butler talked about doing an American accent on Stern last week...but after seeing this, he really did not do a good job masking his Scottish accent.

Rick Yune I hope gets more roles (as a hero too, he had promise in Iron Fists), he was good. Overall though, a disappointing flick, but definitely better than the latest Die Hard.
I hate Butler's "talking out of the corner of his mouth" thing he does to cover his accent, it's bizarrely distracting.
Old 03-25-13, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I hate Butler's "talking out of the corner of his mouth" thing he does to cover his accent, it's bizarrely distracting.
I really do think it's best just to take the "whatever" approach with him similar to what they did with Mel Gibson back in the day. Don't say his character is from anywhere in particular, just presume he's from another country. If he's Secret Service, well, maybe he grew up with a Scottish father and picked it up along the way.
Old 03-25-13, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just got back, really enjoyed it, great popcorn flick. I agree with DJ about the White House raid scene. They didn't have a problem with a lot of gunshots to the head. Butler was quite a badass with all the head stabbing.
Old 03-26-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I really do think it's best just to take the "whatever" approach with him similar to what they did with Mel Gibson back in the day. Don't say his character is from anywhere in particular, just presume he's from another country. If he's Secret Service, well, maybe he grew up with a Scottish father and picked it up along the way.
I didn't know the answer so I looked it up. You don't have to be born in the United States to be a secret service agent. You simply need to be a US citizen. As far as I know Gerard Butler is NOT a US citizen, but he easily could be. They simply should have made his character a Scot who became a US citizen and then joined the secret service.

Start rant...I hate foreign actors will terrible accents. It happens all the time with all kinds of nationalities, but it's usually a bad American accent. I watched Zero Dark Thirty the other day and the guy who plays the National Security Advisor, who I REALLY like as an actor by the way, has a terrible American accent. His American accent sucks in every movie he's in, but he keeps getting cast as Americans. Why does Hollywood continue to do this? Either have the actor keep his/her natural accent or find another actor to play the part. They was no reason whatsoever to make Mike Banning an American and force Gerard Butler to use that shitty American accent. If they wanted Butler, great just have him use his natural accent. If they were Hellbent on Mike Banning being an American, cast an American actor.

That said, some actors do foreign accents very well and you can't even tell the difference. If one of those people gets cast as a foreigner that's perfectly fine. Just don't cast somebody with a shitty accent. It's distracting.
Old 03-26-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of which, is it just me or doesn't a 00 Agent have to be a natural born English citizen? If so why was Javier Bardem among them when he clearly was not from England?!
Old 03-26-13, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to be white to be a Brit.
Old 03-26-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You do to be hispanic

Old 03-26-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk God

And why aren't you getting off your lazy ass and seeing this movie?
Old 03-26-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No shit. Do you even understand what I'm asking? Bardem is white by the way, but that's not even my point. My point is he clearly sounds foreign born, and the question is, how does a foreign born person get to be a 00 agent (assuming that only natural born citizens can be 00 agents)?
Old 03-26-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Dermot Mulroney played a great bad guy as well.
You mean Dylan McDermott from American Horror Story.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001518/?ref_=sr_2

Dermot Mulroney wasn't in this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000551/?ref_=sr_1
Old 03-26-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What exactly was his motivation for the betrayal though? I don't recall money being a factor, he just seemed arbitrarily pissed at the President's policies. It just seemed paper thin especially since he helped out Gerard Butler in his final moments.
Old 03-26-13, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
And why aren't you getting off your lazy ass and seeing this movie?
I'm very iffy on it. The bit of me that does want to see this does it cuz of the possibility of seeing some solid action. The other part is well...I'm not in the mood to see it. In the overall, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
No shit. Do you even understand what I'm asking? Bardem is white by the way, but that's not even my point. My point is he clearly sounds foreign born, and the question is, how does a foreign born person get to be a 00 agent (assuming that only natural born citizens can be 00 agents)?
Bardem isn't white. He doesn't look white to me.
Old 03-26-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm very iffy on it. The bit of me that does want to see this does it cuz of the possibility of seeing some solid action. The other part is well...I'm not in the mood to see it. In the overall, it just doesn't appeal to me.
As much as you like action movies, you really need to see this one.
Old 03-26-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bardem isn't white. He doesn't look white to me.
Are you going to answer the crux of my question or keep harping on that? You still haven't addressed the fact that I'm not referring to his race (whatever you think that may be, not my point anyway) but rather his nationality. My question is how does a non-Brit get that kind of top secret position.

Last edited by bluetoast; 03-26-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 02:34 PM
Banned

I'm not answering your question cuz I don't know how they operate. Interesting though.

My original statement was cuz I thought his race was the question. The follow up on your response was me just making the point of the race cuz that's what it led to in your follow up.
Old 03-26-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh gotcha. And on the subject of his race, I guess many Spaniards are white, though the classification isn't always precise apparently. So I thought he was, although he may not be.
Old 03-26-13, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You mean Dylan McDermott from American Horror Story.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001518/?ref_=sr_2

Dermot Mulroney wasn't in this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000551/?ref_=sr_1
Groucho isn't the only one allowed to have fun you know.
Old 03-29-13, 06:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts

Saw this movie this afternoon. I loved it, it was a great popcorn action flick. I agree that it was everything Die Hard 5 should have been.
Old 04-03-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

So many unintentional laughs at the end. If I took this as a serious action film, I would be pretty disappointed. There were so many moments that I had to just .

And if this was better than the latest Die Hard, I guess there's no reason to see it. I just hope White House Down delivers something a little better.
Old 04-03-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this a little while ago. Loved it. Very entertaining and quite fast-paced. The two hours went by very quickly.
Old 04-03-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son and I loved it. The White House attacked was incredible. A few things in the movie frustrated us, procedures that the White House would never do, other than that, we loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.