DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   POW! BIFF! BAAA! Comic Book Movie Sheep (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/609427-pow-biff-baaa-comic-book-movie-sheep.html)

rocket1312 03-18-13 11:31 AM

POW! BIFF! BAAA! Comic Book Movie Sheep

http://i47.tinypic.com/28vg6ea.jpg

Welcome to Comic Book Movie Movie Sheep!

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

<ul><li> The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font>) or least common (<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font>), but still correct.
<li> Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font> question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
<li> Example <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font> question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
<li> Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
<li> There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
<li> You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
<li> Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
<li> Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
<li> Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>.
</ul>

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

<li> Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
1 Unique is awarded -15
2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
<li> Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
<ul><li> In <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">Sheep</font> questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. Due to stacked Slam Dunks becoming a bit too powerful in these games, I’m limiting the stacking to 2 on any given question. If you place more than that on a single question, the additional Slam Dunks will not count.
<li> In <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">Reverse Sheep</font> questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

Other Notes:
<ul>
<li>For this game, Comic Book Movie = A movie based on characters originally created for the comic book medium that was theatrically released in the U.S. No tv or direct-to-video unless the question specifies. Comic strips are not comic books! This all obviously applies to reverse questions only since there's no such thing as a wrong sheep answer.

<li>If more than one movie has a particular title, please specify which one you mean (by year, stars, director ... anything that makes it clear). Also, please specify character and actor if possible to avoid confusion on character questions.

<li>Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

<li>I will also correct mistakes you may have made when originally sending me your answers at a cost of 10 points.

<li>Read the game-specific rules. I'm using Brainee's limited stacking dunk rules. I will only count up to 2 stacked dunks, so if you stack more, they will be wasted. You'll have to decide whether it's worth the 10 points for me to change them (hint: it probably will be).

<li>I don’t plan on taking more than 25 players, so once we get close to filling I’ll close things off (with special passes available to former Sheepmasters). At that point, give me a couple of days for scoring and organization of answers and hopefully we can get this going by Wednesday.
</ul>

The Questions
<ol>
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> We've had some really great comic book movies over the years, but with the good must come some bad. What is the worst comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> The Joker in all of his incarnations has provided some of the most iconic villainous movie moments, but who is the best non-Joker villain in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Comic/movie nerds hate discontinuity in their franchises, but sometimes Richard Harris gets sick and there's nothing you can do about it. Name a character who was recast for a comic book movie sequel. (reboots like Batman Begins don't count as sequels)
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> The X-Men movies aren't all about Wolverine. It just seems like it sometimes. Name an actor who has appeared in the X-Men franchise who is not Hugh Jackman.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> The Amazing Spider-Man 2 thread has proven that, ultimately, this is all that really matters. Who is the hottest female character in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> The unjustly maligned Daredevil (ok, probably justly) featured many references (cameos and character names) to popular Daredevil writers/artists. Name one of those writers/artists. (last name only is fine)
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> I'm sure there's been over a hundred characters who've been Avengers over the years. Name one that you'd like to see make an appearance in a future movie.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was the last time we ever saw Sean Connery. Not quite Gene Hackman in Welcome to Mooseport, but still kind of sad. Name a member of the LXG as seen in the movie.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Mystery Men bombed, but it wasn't because of the pretty-impressive-in-retrospect cast. Name someone from that cast.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Remember when everyone on the internet went crazy because Christopher Nolan cast Heath Ledger as the Joker? That turned out ok. In retrospect, what was the worst casting choice in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Before studios realized what a box office cash cow these superhero franchises were, tv was usually where you could find them. Name a comic book movie that was made for tv.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Danny Elfman has scored movies not made by Tim Burton. Honest. Name a comic book movie for which Danny Elfman wrote the score.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Sometimes the studios get it right, but too often they don't. Name the comic book movie or franchise most in need of a reboot/remake.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Who is the best actor to ever appear in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Frank Miller's name is attached to some of the most beloved comics of all time. Unfortunately the same can't be said for most of his movies. Name any movie for which Frank Miller has an official credit.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Studios have barely scratched the surface with comic adaptations. Name a comic series that has never been adapted into a theatrical movie but should be.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Wait, what? How many of these have they made? What is the best Punisher movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> What was that about comic/movie nerds hating discontinuity? Name a character who has been played by the same actor in 3 or more comic book movies.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Not all comics are about grown men in tights. What is the best movie based on a non-superhero comic.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> While DC can't seem to keep pace with Marvel's theatrical output, they've been pumping out high quality animated work for years. What is the best direct-to-video DC animated movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> The 80's weren't all about crappy horror sequels. Name a comic book movie released in the 1980's.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Likewise, the 90's weren't all about Jim Carrey making funny faces. Name a comic book movie released in the 1990's.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Someone has to take the credit/blame. What movie is most responsible for the comic book movie boom of the 2000's?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font> Some of the biggest money makers of all time have been based on comics. Name a comic book movie on the top 100 all-time domestic box office list as of today according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> We've had many men don the cape and cowl over the years. Who should replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the next Batman (or JLA) movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font> Plain and simple. What is the best comic book movie not named The Dark Knight or The Avengers?

</ol>

Edit: I realized my questions were pretty verbose and may be hard to read on some screens and/or will annoy the piss out of people who don't think I'm funny. Here's a scaled down version without my added comments:
Spoiler:

<ol>
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What is the worst comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Who is the best non-Joker villain in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name a character who was recast for a comic book movie sequel. (reboots like Batman Begins don't count as sequels)
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name an actor who has appeared in the X-Men franchise who is not Hugh Jackman.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Who is the hottest female character in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Daredevil featured many references (cameos and character names) to popular Daredevil writers/artists. Name one of those writers/artists. (last name only is fine)
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name an Avenger from the comics that you'd like to see make an appearance in a future movie.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name a member of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as seen in the movie.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name someone from the Mystery Men cast.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What was the worst casting choice in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name a comic book movie that was made for tv.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name a comic book movie for which Danny Elfman wrote the score.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name the comic book movie or franchise most in need of a reboot/remake.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Who is the best actor to ever appear in a comic book movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name any movie for which Frank Miller has an official credit.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name a comic series that has never been adapted into a theatrical movie but should be.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What is the best Punisher movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name a character who has been played by the same actor in 3 or more comic book movies.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What is the best movie based on a non-superhero comic.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What is the best direct-to-video DC animated movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name a comic book movie released in the 1980's.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Name a comic book movie released in the 1990's.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What movie is most responsible for the comic book movie boom of the 2000's?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #A3D867">R:</font>Name a comic book movie on the top 100 all-time domestic box office list as of today according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>Who should replace Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman in the next Batman (or JLA) movie?
<li> <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #F9DF00">S:</font>What is the best comic book movie not named The Dark Knight or The Avengers?
</ol>

Game is now closed! See you Tuesday at around 1:00pm Eastern

orangecrush 03-18-13 11:44 AM

Re: POW! BIFF! BAAA! Comic Book Movie Sheep

I'll be sending answers later. This should be good.

Kal-El 03-18-13 11:53 AM

submitted!

davidh777 03-18-13 12:27 PM

#22 is meant to be a Sheep, not a reverse?

rocket1312 03-18-13 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11619053)
#22 is meant to be a Sheep, not a reverse?

correct

ruddiger_718 03-18-13 12:38 PM

Answers submitted! Excited to be back in.

Howie2000 03-18-13 12:52 PM

answers submitted

Jules Winfield 03-18-13 12:53 PM

I'm in. That was pretty hard. I expect to fucking bomb.

fumanstan 03-18-13 12:54 PM

Submitted.

Palaver 03-18-13 01:08 PM

I'm in. Great questions. Should be fun.

rocket1312 03-18-13 01:12 PM

Just a reminder: Please be specific with your answers.

There are a few instances where multiple movies have been released with the same title. There are even more instances of the same character being played by different actors. I'll be pm'ing some of you for clarification on a couple of questions at some point today (probably later tonight). I won't dock points because I'm nice and in most cases I'm pretty sure what you actually mean.

devilshalo 03-18-13 01:19 PM

I was pretty specific.

Groucho 03-18-13 01:42 PM

I'm in. Answers sent.

Rockmjd23 03-18-13 01:44 PM

#3 is difficult

cnicholls44 03-18-13 01:50 PM

answers sent.

Rockmjd23 03-18-13 02:09 PM

Sent

Crocker Jarmen 03-18-13 02:13 PM

This one was really hard, mostly guessing. Very sad I wasn't able to give Ghost World as an answer for anything.

Jules Winfield 03-18-13 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 11619199)
This one was really hard, mostly guessing. Very sad I wasn't able to give Ghost World as an answer for anything.

Ghost World wasn't one of the name drops in Daredevil?:sad:

wishbone 03-18-13 02:41 PM

Answers sent, thanks rocket.

Obi-Wanma 03-18-13 02:43 PM

In. Lots of difficult to gauge questions. Should be interesting.

Shannon Nutt 03-18-13 02:50 PM

Answers sent...looking forward to this one.

rocket1312 03-18-13 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11619266)
Answers sent...looking forward to this one.

Shannon, you've got a pm.

JasonF 03-18-13 03:31 PM

Count me in -- I'll send my answers later tonight!

orangecrush 03-18-13 03:32 PM

Answers sent. I didn't feel good about most of my answers. I also couldn't think of a sure fire sheep question. Even the Punisher question could go a couple ways.

rocket1312 03-18-13 03:38 PM

Here's who I've got so far
Kal-El
ruddiger_718
devilshalo
Howie2000
Jules Winfield
fumanstan
sauce07
Palaver
Groucho
cnicholls44
Rockmjd23
Crocker Jarmen
Obi-Wan Jabroni
wishbone
Shannon Nutt
dalbowski
orangecrush

answers still to come
ivelostr2
brainee

That leaves 6 slots open, plus any exceptions for former sheepmasters. I'd love to close the entries soon, so I can start scoring and hopefully start posting answers tomorrow. If not, I'll start posting Wednesday.

edit: JasonF is in, so 5 slots available