Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Croods (2013, d: DeMicco, Sanders) - Voices of Cage, Stone, Reynolds, Keener

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Croods (2013, d: DeMicco, Sanders) - Voices of Cage, Stone, Reynolds, Keener

Old 03-16-13, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Croods is a 2013 American 3D computer-animated adventure comedy film produced by DreamWorks Animation and distributed by 20th Century Fox. It features the voices of Nicolas Cage, Ryan Reynolds, Emma Stone, Catherine Keener, Clark Duke, and Cloris Leachman. The film is set in the prehistoric era, when a man's position as a "Leader of the Hunt" is threatened by the arrival of a prehistoric genius who comes up with revolutionary new inventions like fire.

The Croods is being written and directed by Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders, and produced by Kristine Belson and Jane Hartwell. It is set to be released in theaters on March 22, 2013. As part of the distribution deal, this will be the first film from DreamWorks Animation to be distributed by 20th Century Fox, since the departure of Paramount Pictures in 2012 with Rise of the Guardians.
Nicolas Cage as Grug Crood
Ryan Reynolds as Guy
Emma Stone as Eep Crood
Catherine Keener as Ugga Crood
Clark Duke as Thunk Crood
Cloris Leachman as Gran
Chris Sanders as Belt

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xrbwgn_kRBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-17-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Croods (2013, d: DeMicco, Sanders) - Voices of Cage, Stone, Reynolds, Keener

The trailers for this haven't been particularly interesting, but I really love Chris Sanders since Lilo & Stitch and How to Train Your Dragon are two of my favorite animated features. Hope reviews are good.
Old 03-17-13, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Croods (2013, d: DeMicco, Sanders) - Voices of Cage, Stone, Reynolds, Keener

I actually saw this today and expected absolutely zero. But I liked it: Pretty funny and imaginative. Maybe 3.5 stars out of five.
Old 03-19-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it a couple weeks ago, it was entertaining but completely forgettable. One interesting thing is Roger Deakins is listed as a Visiual Consultant (or something like that), guess he helped with the "filming" style.
Old 03-19-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope this bombs.
Old 03-19-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I hope this bombs.
I read the tracking continues to weaken then closer it gets to release. At one point they were looking at high 50's, now mid 40's.
Old 03-24-13, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me, my wife, and my grown nephew are going to see this in 3D later today. Hopefully it is at least decent. I can't wait for this awful lull in films to be over here in the next two weeks. I'm ready for some things actually worth getting excited about and seeing.
Old 03-24-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alrighty, we saw it. First off, the 3D was amazing in a good number of scenes. Especially when dust was flying or sparks of fire and that sort of thing. I also enjoyed the movie itself, but it leaned way more towards kids than other stuff like HtTYD. That's not really a bad thing I guess, for for what it is. Heck, a few scenes were just a step away from being Looney Tunes or something like that. A lot of the "prehistoric animals" also threw me for a loop, but what are ya gonna do?

I did enjoy it though, it had a good bit of heart and it was a pretty great on the visuals, including the 3D. It isn't going to be anything I likely own, or watch again, but I'm glad we went to see it.
Old 03-30-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Laughed out loud many many times, I think more than the kids in the back row 10 minutes from the end I was bawling my eyes out.
Old 04-13-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my son to see this one a bit earlier. We both enjoyed it. I loved the animation...I thought the movie had a great look.
Old 04-15-13, 10:53 AM
RIP

I'll see this, but only if Nic Cage channels his character from Deadfall.
Old 10-01-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Bought this 3D Blu today. Thought it was funny that there's a quote on the back of the box that says "One of the best animated films we've ever seen!" And another that calls it "An Animated Avatar!". Neither quote is attributed to anyone. I'm not sure, but it don't think that counts.
Old 01-29-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Was added to Netflix Streaming today.
Old 01-29-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a throw-away CG movie. Saw it in theaters. I nice waste of time if you have kids to watch it with. Not bad. Maybe five lol jokes. Just a normal waste of time if you don't have kids.
Old 02-11-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Checked this out on Netflix Instant since I saw it was nominated for Best Animated Feature. Here's my quick review:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CMU-gqkDUCE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-14, 10:17 PM

I must have an aversion to animated film trailers (one of which was this movie) - but I have to say I quite enjoyed this movie - the many odd creatures were inventive, the overall 'family' message wasn't as hamfisted or annoying as the Ice Age movies - and some of the effects like the giants bits of earth crumbling, erupting from the ground looked truly epic.

B+
Old 03-11-14, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

This was nominated for best animated pic? I'd put this at a dead heat with Despicable Me 2 as the two worst movies of 2013. There wasn't a single redeeming or entertaining thing about it.
Old 03-11-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The animation was OK, but the plot, voice acting, etc. was your typical Dreamworks smarmy, cynical shit. I'm thinking the greatness of How To Train Your Dragon was a fluke.
Old 03-11-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They looked like, for a couple years, they were honing in to become a quality animation house. Kung Fu Panda showed a lot of potential, HTTYD showed even more promise, and then they went nowhere.
Old 03-11-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

In order to satisfy shareholders, Katzenberg decided to start cranking out 2-3 animated films a year... and quality control took a massive dump.
Old 03-11-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The animation was OK, but the plot, voice acting, etc. was your typical Dreamworks smarmy, cynical shit. I'm thinking the greatness of How To Train Your Dragon was a fluke.
Yep. HTTYD is my favorite animated CGI film to date. I'm both looking forward to and extremely nervous about HTTYD 2. If it holds with the quality of other Dreamworks films or even the HTTYD shorts, it's going to be a very disappointing movie going experience.
Old 03-11-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

The trailer for How to Train your Dragon 2 is epic. My most anticipated movie of the year. #1 is probably my favorite non Disney/Pixar CG flick.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
After checking out Mr Peabody and Sherman I can confirm, HttYD was a fluke.
Old 11-12-16, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think there was a thread for The Croods 2, but...

DreamWorks Animation and Universal Kill ‘Croods 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)

DreamWorks Animation and its new parent, Universal Studios, have pulled the plug on the long-gestating sequel to the 2013 hit “The Croods.”

Universal Pictures Chairman Donna Langley met with workers at DreamWorks Animation’s Glendale headquarters Thursday to confirm that production of “The Croods 2” was being stopped immediately.

Some 30 employees who have been working on the film, launched 3 1/2 years ago, will be looking for new jobs. The workers were told DreamWorks Animation hopes to keep them at the company. Some could be shifted to other film projects, while others might be put into training or “artistic development” programs, according to an individual at Universal, who asked not to be named.
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/dr...el-1201916453/
Old 11-12-16, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lame. Enjoyed the first enough to see a second.