Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Peter Hyams - Most Mediocre Filmmaker Alive?

Old 09-16-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Peter Hyams - Most Mediocre Filmmaker Alive?

I actually like Capricorn One, 2010, Timecop and even Sudden Death. Not the greatest...not the worst. His good movies have been good movies....not mediocre.

For me a real mediocre director is Ron Howard. His movies always have zero interest for me. They are not badly made, but just simply uninteresting. Not a great story teller. Frost/Nixon was his best, the rest is very "meh."
Old 09-16-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ron Howard is not the most interesting director, but he's one of the best commerical directors. He's made a lot of pretty good movies. Parenthood, Apollo 13 and Ransom are really good.
Old 09-17-13, 12:05 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think A Beautiful Mind is really well made and memorable. He is capable of something great.
Old 09-17-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by g View Post
I think A Beautiful Mind is really well made and memorable. He is capable of something great.
I feel the opposite about it. A fluffy tear-jerker that has Oscar bait written all over it. It misinterprets the life of John Nash as a saint and gives us an insulting portrayal of mental illness.
Old 09-17-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Outland, it's a really, really good Space Western. Timecop was pretty good, and Sudden Death was good for a fairly mindless action movie (better than average). The Relic is pretty good, but almost impossible to watch because it's so dark (you can't see what the hell is going on). The Presidio is better than average. I haven't seen Narrow Margin yet, but I got the DVD for $3 so I'm hoping it's pretty good, too. End Of Days was good.

Overall, I think Hyams is a fairly good director. He's not great, but he's good when given a good script (he makes the most of it).

Last edited by B5Erik; 09-17-13 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like a lot of Hyams work, and taken as a whole, up until '99 or so, it does reflect a certain style that's mostly his own. I don't think his work since '99 has been particularly distinguished -- and the new Van Damme film appears unlikely to change that -- but in his prime (which he's obviously past now) I found him to be a reliable craftsman and an underrated cinematographer. His cinema was comfort food, and the menu rarely changed: Marquee names, slick production value, speedy conspiracy stories. Most of it went down easy; no bad aftertaste. Of course, that menu made him obsolete around the time of END OF DAYS or (especially) THE MUSKETEER, but through the 70's and 80's it served him well enough. A SOUND OF THUNDER was the final nail, but that picture's awfulness wasn't entirely attributable to him.

I always been fond of his fondness for command centers, those hazy, war room-type sets in nearly all of his movies where TV screens and other ephemera hang low from the ceiling, illuminating the actors from above, while consoles and lights in the (often) roundtables underneath illuminate them from below to generally ominous effect, or turn them into near-specters if they hover just a couple of steps into the background. Sure, he probably copped the visual from STRANGELOVE, but he sure ran with it. Even the Star Chamber in THE STAR CHAMBER effectively doubles as one with it's low, massive coffee table speckled with crystal ashtrays and dark glass reflecting the bankers lights installed seemingly mid-way up the walls around the room to accommodate Hyam's low angles. Looks like there's one in the new Van Damme picture too, but it's a pale imitation of its forerunners.

Just found PEEPER yesterday in a bargain bin here, which certainly fills in a gap. Whether or not it's worth keeping, we'll see . . .
Old 04-15-19, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by fallfan View Post
If you haven't seen A Sound of Thunder, you owe it too yourself to watch the scene early in the film where Ed Burns is walking down a futuristic street. It has some of the most amazingly poor cgi ever seen in a (barely) theatrically released film (which makes sense since I read they lost their funding during post production)
If you think "A Sound Of Thunder" is bad (in terms of looking extremely unfinished) give Kurt Wimmer's Ultraviolet a look sometime.
Old 04-15-19, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cinefilez View Post
If you think "A Sound Of Thunder" is bad (in terms of looking extremely unfinished) give Kurt Wimmer's Ultraviolet a look sometime.
Hi, Peter!
Old 04-15-19, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I feel the opposite about it. A fluffy tear-jerker that has Oscar bait written all over it. It misinterprets the life of John Nash as a saint and gives us an insulting portrayal of mental illness.
Six-year bump.

But it's a proficient fluffy tear-jerker. They usually just irritate me. I was interested in where it was going.

Why do people complain about the character not being true to life? A movie about the kind of man who never speaks to his mistress again because she got pregnant isn't good box office. Are you also unhappy that David Lynch made the hero of The Straight Story into a nice fellow?

I don't understand why the portrayal of mental illness is insulting, so I can't address that.