Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll : When did the Academy get the Best Picture Oscar Right?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Did the Academy Pick the Right Best Picture Winner For Each Year?
1993: Schindler's List
66.96%
1994 : Forrest Gump
11.61%
1995 : Braveheart
30.36%
1996 : The English Patient
7.14%
1997 : Titanic
33.93%
1998 : Shakespeare In Love
5.36%
1999 : American Beauty
27.68%
2000 : Gladiator
19.64%
2001 : A Beautiful Mind
10.71%
2002 : Chicago
8.04%
2003 : Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
45.54%
2004 Million Dollar Baby
25.89%
2005 Crash
5.36%
2006 : The Departed
38.39%
2007 : No Country For Old Men
50.00%
2008 : Slumdog Millionaire
18.75%
2009 : The Hurt Locker
17.86%
2010 : The King's Speech
7.14%
2011 : The Artist
14.29%
2012 : Argo
27.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Poll : When did the Academy get the Best Picture Oscar Right?

Old 02-27-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Poll : When did the Academy get the Best Picture Oscar Right?

Oh I don't disagree, the biggest snub in all of those is Rocky beating out those other 3.

I personally think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was the proper winner of its year.

You have to keep in mind though that Forrest Gump and Titanic were the biggest movies in their respective years so they had a lot more momentum than anything else at the time (especially Titanic which was all the rage and killing at the box office during Oscar season). Pulp Fiction was never going to win, and Shawshank wasn't particularly popular at the time.

But the Academy voters are film goers like anyone else, they vote for what they enjoyed the most, or what was the most significant, or with Shakespeare in love, vote for how much Weinstein can afford.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-27-13 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-27-13, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Oh I don't disagree, the biggest snub in all of those is Rocky beating out those other 3. I personally think One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was the proper winner of that year.
Cuckoos Nest is definitely a great movie, but IMO I can't say it's better than Jaws. But that was a damn close year.

You have to keep in mind though that Forrest Gump and Titanic were the biggest movies in their respective years so they had a lot more momentum than anything else at the time. Pulp Fiction was never going to win, and Shawshank wasn't particularly popular at the time.

But the Academy voters are film goers like anyone else, they vote for what they enjoyed the most, or what was the most significant, or with Shakespeare in love, vote for how much Weinstein can afford.
I think that's the problem though. The award is supposed to go to the best movie, not the most popular. But then they face the problem of a lesser-known movie gaining less attention from home audiences and such. They seemed to be in a panic the year Slumdog Millionaire won.

Gump seemed to get a lot of momentum out of its then-pioneering effects. But now that those aren't so special anymore, we're left with a phony-feeling movie. Shawshank, popular or not, should've had an equal shot. Pulp Fiction was influentual, but in fairness at the time nobody knew that yet.

It's the politics too. Of all the people voting on these awards, who wants to bet that they've even seen all the nominees?
Old 02-27-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As everybody else says, you can't really judge "what's best" when it comes to art, only what you like the best. The Hurt Locker won despite grossing a whopping $17m at the box office. I honestly never thought much of Jaws, so we'd have a split vote there. Shawshank didn't gain it's notoriety until it was played repeatedly on TV and for some reason everybody loved Forrest Gump when it came out (excluding myself and my then 6th grade teacher who thought it was dumb as fuck).

I'm actually willing to bet most people who vote see all the best picture nominees. Other categories might not be so lucky.
Old 02-27-13, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I get why people voted for Gump over Pulp Fiction. I get why they'd choose Titanic over L.A. Confidential. I can see why they felt like honoring A Beautiful Mind over Fellowship of the Ring. I can even, through a prism of mild, unspoken homophobia, see why they might pick Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

The one I really have a hard time with is The King's Speech over Social Network. How anyone could look at those two films and decide the one that feels like a London stage play about mid-twentieth century speech therapy could be judged superior overall to David Fincher's lively, vital, timely and utterly brilliant masterpiece about technology, friendship and the ruthlessness of business is totally beyond me.
Old 02-27-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The King's Speech was overcoming adversity (I still say the camera angles/movements are fucking terrible) versus Social Network's douchebag rich kid.

Don't get me wrong, I think Social Network is a much better movie, but I can see why TKS won. There are a lot of old people in the academy, my dad didn't really "get" The Social Network, the way it cut around confused him, but he understood The King's Speech, when he wasn't studdering.
Old 02-27-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The King's Speech was overcoming adversity (I still say the camera angles/movements are fucking terrible)
Did you see Les Miserables? Same horrible camera angles - this time an abundance of close-up shots. I generally like Tom Hooper's movies for the performances, but dislike him greatly as a director (The Damned United isn't very well shot, either).
Old 02-27-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Did you see Les Miserables? Same horrible camera angles - this time an abundance of close-up shots. I generally like Tom Hooper's movies for the performances, but dislike him greatly as a director (The Damned United isn't very well shot, either).
I saw the trailer and couldn't handle the camera in that alone. Tom Hooper would be a good director if he stopped trying to "rebel" against the norms of... camera placement/angles/movement.
Old 02-27-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattflix View Post

I haven't yet seen Argo but it seems like a straight up movie without any pandering, so I'm excited to see that it won.
I'd say there's actually a few things that specifically try and make the movie more "uplifting" then what actually happened (from what I understand), particularly around Mendez.
Old 02-27-13, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I must be old because "The Social Network" did nothing for me. While it's an extremely well made film, it's hard for me to be engaged in a story where all the characters are either boring, annoying or assholes.
Old 02-27-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And just think: Tom Hooper has as many Oscars for directing as Martin Scorsese, and 1 more than Alfred Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick!

That's why none of this matters.
Old 02-27-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We need a poll for the previous 20, and the 20 before those.
Old 02-28-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I get why people voted for Gump over Pulp Fiction. I get why they'd choose Titanic over L.A. Confidential. I can see why they felt like honoring A Beautiful Mind over Fellowship of the Ring. I can even, through a prism of mild, unspoken homophobia, see why they might pick Crash over Brokeback Mountain.

The one I really have a hard time with is The King's Speech over Social Network. How anyone could look at those two films and decide the one that feels like a London stage play about mid-twentieth century speech therapy could be judged superior overall to David Fincher's lively, vital, timely and utterly brilliant masterpiece about technology, friendship and the ruthlessness of business is totally beyond me.
TKS was the big inspirational movie and a British period piece to boot, which is like catnip to the Academy. TSN had a cast full of cocky asshole characters screwing each other over. Yes, I agree that TSN is better directed but the Academy generally goes for the more upbeat movie.
Old 02-28-13, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The King's Speech had a plot that flowed in a way that was very satisfying, I didn't feel that I needed to have more of a certain angle in order to appreciate the story. And while there are some camera angles that seem very unique to Hooper's style, the blocking with only one actor looks to be tailored for the film, in it's isolation.

The Social Network isn't even Fincher's best work, let alone does he have any actors play their roles in anyway that stretch from their normal typecasted selves. Andrew Garfield plays the same character he did in Lambs for Lions and Jesse Eisenberg is Mark Zuckerberg as Jesse Eisenberg.