Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Poll : When did the Academy get the Best Picture Oscar Right?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Did the Academy Pick the Right Best Picture Winner For Each Year?
1993: Schindler's List
66.96%
1994 : Forrest Gump
11.61%
1995 : Braveheart
30.36%
1996 : The English Patient
7.14%
1997 : Titanic
33.93%
1998 : Shakespeare In Love
5.36%
1999 : American Beauty
27.68%
2000 : Gladiator
19.64%
2001 : A Beautiful Mind
10.71%
2002 : Chicago
8.04%
2003 : Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
45.54%
2004 Million Dollar Baby
25.89%
2005 Crash
5.36%
2006 : The Departed
38.39%
2007 : No Country For Old Men
50.00%
2008 : Slumdog Millionaire
18.75%
2009 : The Hurt Locker
17.86%
2010 : The King's Speech
7.14%
2011 : The Artist
14.29%
2012 : Argo
27.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Poll : When did the Academy get the Best Picture Oscar Right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Poll : When did the Academy get the Best Picture Oscar Right?

The only thing I hate is when the Academy gives a guy like Scorcese or Ron Howard a 'lifetime-like achievement award' for Best Picture because they didn't win with some of their classic films. I see Ron Howard with for A Beautiful Mind which was a good picture, but as much as I love Braveheart, I thought Apollo 13 was the best movie in 1995, and Ron Howard's best movie, IMO. Same goes for Scorcese as he loses for classics like Raging Bull and Goodfellas, but wins for a good movie like 'The Departed'.

Or if a person wins too much like Hanks, they won't give them an oscar later in their career. I always thought Hanks should have won Best Oscar for Cast Away, and would still argue that his Forrest Gump portrayal was overated. Or Russell Crowe wins for Gladiator, but doesn't win the next year for A Beautiful Mind, when clearly that was the better performance of the two, IMO.
Old 02-26-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The only thing I hate is when the Academy gives a guy like Scorcese or Ron Howard a 'lifetime-like achievement award' for Best Picture because they didn't win with some of their classic films. I see Ron Howard with for A Beautiful Mind which was a good picture, but as much as I love Braveheart, I thought Apollo 13 was the best movie in 1995, and Ron Howard's best movie, IMO. Same goes for Scorcese as he loses for classics like Raging Bull and Goodfellas, but wins for a good movie like 'The Departed'.

Or if a person wins too much like Hanks, they won't give them an oscar later in their career. I always thought Hanks should have won Best Oscar for Cast Away, and would still argue that his Forrest Gump portrayal was overated. Or Russell Crowe wins for Gladiator, but doesn't win the next year for A Beautiful Mind, when clearly that was the better performance of the two, IMO.
Its crazy. They award Crowe for Gladiator, because they felt he should have won for the Insider..they award Washington For Training Day, because they felt he should have won for the Hurricane.

Its just a crazy cycle.
Old 02-26-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Im good with most up until Shakespeare in Love over SPR. The Academy lost there way that year and have gotten it more wrong than not since.
Yup, that was certainly the year I lost respect for the Acedemy voters. Haven't really care much about how they voted since.
Old 02-26-13, 12:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Its crazy. They award Crowe for Gladiator, because they felt he should have won for the Insider..they award Washington For Training Day, because they felt he should have won for the Hurricane.

Its just a crazy cycle.
More so Malcolm X than Hurricane. He probably should have won for both but he most definitely should have won for Malcolm X which they gave to Pacino for Scent of Woman who should have won for The Godfather. It is a crazy messed up cycle.
Old 02-26-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think both are classics and either would have been a fine choice. No Country is one of the finest films from two of the most unique American filmmakers in our history, and I appreciated that a dark, complex movie that wasn't labeled an art film got so much recognition.
I too fucking love both those movies.

The only thing with TWBB is that I now HATE Paul Dano because his character was so despicable that I can't separate them.
Old 02-26-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are simply proving that opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. You could argue this all day and not come to a consensus. That's why these awards shows are silly, because they are entirely subjective. It's virtually impossible to accurately choose what's the best film out of 10 very good to great films.

I agree with Joaquin Phoenix, George C. Scott, and Anthony Hopkins. The Oscars and other Hollywood award shows are nothing more than a self-congratulatory, aren't we all special meat parade.

Yup, that was certainly the year I lost respect for the Acedemy voters.
They don't need the respect. These awards are practically bought and paid for, along with the politics that goes along with it.

Last edited by Terrell; 02-26-13 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

The best breakdown of everything wrong with Saving Private Ryan, as written by William Goldman:

http://achtenblog.blogspot.com/2007/...say.html?m=1#!

A great read in my opinion. Yours may differ.

Last edited by sherm42; 02-26-13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

I think SPR lost, not so much because of its flaws (of which, sure there were several -- I had a big problem with the present-day bookends which felt totally unnecessary), but rather because this was a pretty classic case of Harvey Weinstein campaigning his way to a Best Picture Oscar. You should win based on your film's merit, but Harvey found if you can glad-hand and advertise enough you could change the voters' minds. Spielberg's camp was totally caught off-guard by that win (as was his friend Harrison Ford who looked like a Fear Factor contestant in an eating competition while he read the winner at the Oscars). The real irony is that Spielberg's people tried some of that same heavy-handed campaigning this time around (most notably bringing out Bill Clinton to introduce Lincoln at the Golden Globes) and it came across as "desperate". He really must feel like he just can't win.
Old 02-26-13, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

I cannot help but do a year-by-year response to a thread like this, even though few will bother to even read it.

I have seen the vast majority of the nominees and will restrict my choices only to those films that were nominated.

1993: Schindler's List won, and it is hard to argue against it too vociferously due to the fact that it was a very well-made film with few glaring flaws and the importance of its subject matter. However, I would have personally voted for The Remains of the Day if I had been given a vote. It really is a virtually perfect and beautiful film.

1994: Forrest Gump won. Uh, no, horrible choice. Among the nominees, I would have voted for Quiz Show, but it is overall a pretty weak selection of nominees.

1995: Braveheart won. Again, hard to argue against this one too much. I don't have a strong opinion to the contrary. As good as Sense and Sensibility was, it certainly had some flaws. I never saw Il Postino.

1996: The English Patient won. Sorry Fargo fanboys, the Academy got this one right. TEP is an amazing film. Fargo is quite good, but I would have put it third in this group.

1997: Titanic won. Again, I have a hard time mounting too strong of an argument with this group of nominees. Personally, I would have voted for Good Will Hunting.

1998: Shakespeare in Love won. I would have voted for Elizabeth, but I think it is safe to say that The Academy screwed the pooch by giving this one to SiL. For the record, I did not care for The Thin Red Line at all, but that had more to do with my not finding the style appealing than it being bad.

1999: American Beauty won. Not a horrible choice among the nominees, but I would have voted for The Insider.

2000: Gladiator won and it was another bad choice. Traffic really is the only very good/great film among the list of nominees.

2001: A Beautiful Mind won, and it was yet another bad choice. If the LotR series deserved to win a Best Picture, it was this year since FotR is easily the best of the series. However, In the Bedroom deserved to win from this list.

2002: Chicago won. Truthfully not a very strong list of nominees. I would have voted for The Pianist. I have not seen the Hours, however.

2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King won, and this was clearly an award given to the series as a whole. RotK did not deserve this win and was, IMHO, the weakest of the five nominees. As to which one of the remaining four should have won, that is a pretty tough call. I probably would have probably flipped a coin between Mystic River and Lost in Translation.

2004: Million Dollar Baby won, but I think this was another iffy choice. MDB was wonderful in parts, but it lacked cohesion. I would have enthusiastically voted for the absolutely brilliant Sideways. However, I never saw Ray.

2005: Crash won. Dear God, no. Any of the remaining four would have been a much better choice but a tough call. I probably would have voted for Munich.

2006: The Departed won. Given the list of nominees, this was probably the correct call. Babel should have been amazing and absolutely wasn't.

2007: No Country for Old Men won in a very strong list of nominees. However, I would have voted for Michael Clayton

2008: Slumdog Millionaire won and I still have not managed to sit down and watch it. So I guess I am completely disqualified from this year. However, of the remaining four I would have voted for Milk.

2009: The Hurt Locker won. Despite the ten nominees, this really isn't that strong of a list (although I never saw Precious), with at least three that have no business even getting nominated. I found THL to be somewhat overrated. I would have voted for An Education, Up or Up in the Air.

2010: The King's Speech won and was a good movie, but it was also completely overrated Oscar-bait. A much stronger list than 2009. I would have voted for The Social Network.

2011: The Artist won and I have not seen it and a couple of others. I can say that despite my general Alexander Payne worship, I don't think that The Descendants deserved it. Gun to my head, I guess I would have picked Moneyball, but I don't think it really deserved it either.

2012: Argo won. I still have not seen four of these nine, including Django. My strong Oscar night conviction was that neither Lincoln nor Silver Linings Playbook deserved to win. Argo was quite good, as was Zero Dark Thirty, but I need to see the rest.

OK, so there went twenty minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Old 02-26-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar

1994: Forrest Gump won. Uh, no, horrible choice. Among the nominees, I would have voted for Quiz Show, but it is overall a pretty weak selection of nominees.
Dude, three of the AFI 100 (10th Anniversary) films are nominees in 1994. I won't argue that Gump was the wrong choice, but it was anything but a weak year.
Old 02-26-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Dude, three of the AFI 100 (10th Anniversary) films are nominees in 1994. I won't argue that Gump was the wrong choice, but it was anything but a weak year.
Pulp fiction, shawshank
Old 02-26-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Quiz Show, Shawshank, Pulp Fiction ... all of them infinitely superior to Gump. But never discount manipulative feelgood Baby Boomer tripe.
Old 02-26-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
The best breakdown of everything wrong with Saving Private Ryan, as written by William Goldman:

http://achtenblog.blogspot.com/2007/...say.html?m=1#!

A great read in my opinion. Yours may differ.
Here is Johnathan Rosenbaum's take :

http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/?p=12466
Old 02-26-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1993: In the Name of the Father
1994: Pulp Fiction
1995: Braveheart
1996: Secrets & Lies
1997: L.A. Confidential
1998: The Thin Red Line
1999: The Insider
2000: Traffic
2001: In the Bedroom
2002: The Pianist
2003: Lost in Translation
2004: Sideways
2005: Good Night, and Good Luck
2006: Babel
2007: No Country for Old Men
2008: ANYTHING BUT SLUMDOG
2009: The Hurt Locker
2010: Winter's Bone
2011: Have only seen 2 of the nominees
2012: Have only seen 2 of the nominees
Old 02-26-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb

When I was in college I bet a guy $500 that Paul Newman would win best actor months before The Color of Money was ever released. It was easy money, it was so obvious that they would give him a lifetime Oscar regardless of the performance. It was a strong performance though as well in the end.
Old 02-26-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow... didn't realize Children of Men wasn't even nominated in 2006.
Old 02-26-13, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Calculon
Wow... didn't realize Children of Men wasn't even nominated in 2006.

Not surprising. The masterpiece Mulholland Dr. was only nominated for best director.
Old 02-27-13, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Dude, one of those three movies on the AFI 100 is Gump. That alone calls the list's validity as some sort of quality benchmark into serious question.

Quiz Show was very good, but not really "Best Picture" quality.

Four Weddings and a Funeral should not have even been nominated.

Pulp Fiction is a very entertaining film and a very important film, due to its originality and its influence on subsequent films. It is spectacularly brilliant in places. However, it also suffers from several glaring flaws and an overall cohesion problem. It just didn't deserve "Best Picture".

That leaves The Shawshank Redemption. Perhaps I can no longer honestly appraise this film's quality and impact after almost 20 years of seeing it played on TV 400 times a week, but I sort of consider it a high-quality comfort film at this point. I guess, in retrospect, it might have been a more worthy choice for the award than Quiz Show among the nominees.

Looking through a list of the most critically-acclaimed films of 1994, I'm not even seeing any glaring omissions from the nominees list (although I have never seen the Three Colors trilogy). It just wasn't a very strong year overall.
Old 02-27-13, 08:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

They always get it right. Just like any of us picking our best of the year. There never can or should be such a thing as a consensus "best" film.
Old 02-27-13, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just watched Life is Beautiful the other night, Shakespeare in Love is the weakest movie of all five nominees in 1998.
Old 02-27-13, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Not surprising. The masterpiece Mulholland Dr. was only nominated for best director.
At least it got a proper nomination for Director, and was simply robbed of Actress, Editing, Soundtrack, Picture, and Screenplay.
Old 02-27-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss David Lynch.
Old 02-27-13, 09:13 AM

I've noticed that the Oscars tend to favor the more inspirational or positive movie over darker material. They'll pick something for their "the wonder of movies" montage each year, a movie that shows us supposedly the heights of what humanity is capable of, the power of the human spirit, etc. The "life is like a box of chocolates" line will appear year after year...
Old 02-27-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattflix
I've noticed that the Oscars tend to favor the more inspirational or positive movie over darker material. They'll pick something for their "the wonder of movies" montage each year, a movie that shows us supposedly the heights of what humanity is capable of, the power of the human spirit, etc. The "life is like a box of chocolates" line will appear year after year...
I agree, this was especially true with the uplifting one-two punch of The Departed and No Country for Old Men
Old 02-27-13, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I agree, this was especially true with the uplifting one-two punch of The Departed and No Country for Old Men
That's why I said they tend to do so. Look at this:

-Rocky beats Taxi Driver/Network/All the President's Men

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next beat Barry Lyndon/Dog Day Afternoon/Nashville/Jaws

-Gump beats Pulp Fiction. Shawshank would've done the trick too.

-Chariots of Fire beats Raiders of the Lost Ark

-Titanic beat L.A. Confidential

-Something like Driving Miss Daisy gets Best Picture while Do The Right Thing is completely ignored. The feel-good everybody beats racism rule also applies to Crash.

I haven't yet seen Argo but it seems like a straight up movie without any pandering, so I'm excited to see that it won.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.