Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013, D: Moore) - The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: A Good Day to Die Hard - The Reviews Thread
3.17%
0%
7.94%
7.94%
9.52%
25.40%
9.52%
9.52%
11.11%
3.17%
3.17%
Please let this franchise yippeekiay off into the sunset
9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Continue pre-release discussion here.

A Good Day to Die Hard is a 2013 American action film directed by John Moore and written by Skip Woods. It is the fifth installment in the Die Hard film series. Bruce Willis reprises the lead role of John McClane, who travels to Russia to help his estranged son, Jack (Jai Courtney), out of prison, but is soon caught in the crossfire of a terrorist plot.

A Good Day to Die Hard premiered in Los Angeles on January 31, 2013, coinciding with the unveiling of a Die Hard mural at the Fox Lot, and was released in certain East and Southeast Asian territories on February 7, with its release in the United States and Canada scheduled for February 14.
Bruce Willis as John McClane
Jai Courtney as John "Jack" McClane, Jr.
Sebastian Koch as Yuri Komarov
Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Lucy McClane
Yuliya Snigir as Irina
Radivoje Bukvić as Alik
Cole Hauser as Mike Collins
Amaury Nolasco as Murphy
Sergei Kolesnikov as Chagarin
Roman Luknár as Anton
Ganxsta Zolee as MRAP Driver
Péter Takátsy as Prosecutor
Pavel Lychnikoff as Cabbie
Megalyn Echikunwoke as Pretty Reporter
Melissa Tang as Lucas
Ivan Kamaras as G-Wagon Driver

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wS31VXtYOQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by davidh777; 02-14-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-14-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: A Good Day to Die Hard (2013, D: Moore) - The Reviews Thread

Saw it last night and have been mulling it over. I think I'm going with 2.5 stars. It was still a Die Hard movie, and I wasn't insulted by it, but it just seemed OK in pretty much every way. There were some good nods to the original, a couple good action moments, a plot twist. Just really insubstantial, and not something I'm likely to watch ever again--and I watch the original pretty much every Christmas (and for the record, I think #2 is entertaining in its own right). Like other people I noticed differences from the trailer--why give us more cleavage in the trailer than in the R-rated movie itself?

So not sorry I saw it, but just... meh.
Old 02-14-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that really the tag line for this one? Yippee Ki-Yay Mother Russia? Who the hell comes up with this shit.
Old 02-14-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Cut and paste from the other thread:

Just finished the marathon. An amazing experience. About 30 people who stayed for the whole thing.

As far as the new one goes, its the 'worst' of the 5. It never really feels like a Die Hard movie except for John being in the wrong place again; he constantly says hes on vacation. Jack constantly calls him John, instead of Dad, to make sure we know their relationship is strained.

It feels like something was missing. You are just dropped right into the story. It feels over before it really gets started. Several scenes from the trailer were not in the movie, such as the cabby asking are you a cop, and the full strip, off the bike.

But its still John McClane. Hopefully a 6th one brings it all together and closes the series
Old 02-14-13, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Several scenes from the trailer were not in the movie, such as [...] the full strip, off the bike.
Old 02-14-13, 01:30 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Yea that is just fucking ridiculous.
Old 02-14-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea that is just fucking ridiculous.
Maybe they're saving that for the Unrated/Extended/Moneygrab Cut?
Old 02-14-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is that really the tag line for this one? Yippee Ki-Yay Mother Russia? Who the hell comes up with this shit.
It's still better than "Don't Ever Cross Alex Cross."
Old 02-14-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

The wife and I saw this one a bit earlier. We both enjoyed it. It wasn't the best in the series, but it was pretty good regardless. It was paced well; I never found it to be boring or anything.
Old 02-14-13, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
"He'll be sure to cross his t's and his..."

"...lower case j's."
Old 02-14-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
Several scenes from the trailer were not in the movie, ... the full strip, off the bike.
I proclaim this movie:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ejizOV-IQEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-14-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Maybe they're saving that for the Unrated/Extended/Moneygrab Cut?
Empire interviewed Moore the other day and Moore was indeed in the process of creating a "Director's Cut" that is significantly longer than the existing cut (probably bringing the movie up to the two-hour length shared by the other movies).
Old 02-14-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Empire interviewed Moore the other day and Moore was indeed in the process of creating a "Director's Cut" that is significantly longer than the existing cut (probably bringing the movie up to the two-hour length shared by the other movies).
I'm sure this was a conversation at FOX:

Exec 1: Well, the latest DIE HARD movie sucks...how do we maximize profits?

Exec 2: Edit the hell out of the thing, get the running time down close to 90 minutes...allows theaters to squeeze in an extra showing or two per day.

Exec 1: Excellent...then we release the longer version on home video, tricking people into thinking the longer cut is the "director's preferred vision."

Exec 2: Yep...let's save some nudity and violence for that version. It will sell like hotcakes.
Old 02-14-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Reviews be damned! I'm seeing this tonight!
Old 02-14-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Exec 2: Edit the hell out of the thing, get the running time down close to 90 minutes...allows theaters to squeeze in an extra showing or two per day.

Exec 1: Excellent...then we release the longer version on home video, tricking people into thinking the longer cut is the "director's preferred vision."

Exec 2: Yep...let's save some nudity and violence for that version. It will sell like hotcakes.
Exec 1: Hotcakes don't actually sell that great.

Exec 2: Shut the fuck up!
Old 02-14-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hated it, still pissed off from seeing it last night. Never felt like John McClane, felt like an idiot who had taken his place. His cries of "I'm on vacation!" were annoying as hell - YOU ARE NOT ON VACATION, YOU WENT TO RUSSIA TO SAVE YOUR SON, WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE FUCKING DOING. SHUT THE FUCK UP. I knew from the FLAT aspect ratio that Moore didn't give a fuck about the series and that was confirmed by the end of this shitpile.
Old 02-14-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that I liked it better after I decided it was really a secret sequel to "Unbreakable" and Bruce Willis was secretly David Dunn using his super hero alias McClane. It didn't really feel like a Die Hard movie because our everyman McAllen has the ability to survive all of those things that he went through pretty much unscathed. At 25 years older than the events in the original movie, it seems like nothing phases this character anymore.

It has some good scenes, but the dialogue and overall plot were just too ridiculous. I was happy to have an R-rated Die Hard again, but they need to reel this in before we see McClane in space...oh wait, we saw that in Armageddon...nevermind.
Old 02-14-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess. I mean, the report was that he was adding material to the long version, not shortening the long version for theatrical. Not that I'm trying to say that the studio doesn't look at a DC as added value, but I think it really will be (for better, or most likely worse) a genuine "Director's Cut" in Moore's mind.
Old 02-14-13, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Haha. Die Hard IN SPACE.

I'm still going to rush to see this. But I feel bad for the series. Die Hard 3 is a holy grail when I was younger and watching movies all the time.
Old 02-14-13, 09:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the way Bruce Willis is looking nowadays - it will be 'Die Hard in a Retirement Center' - you could tell Fox had a turkey in it's hands when they release a tent-pole franchise release in February.
Old 02-14-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
the way Bruce Willis is looking nowadays - it will be 'Die Hard in a Retirement Center' - you could tell Fox had a turkey in it's hands when they release a tent-pole franchise release in February.
I'm not catching it for another week or two but I was kind of baffled as to why they felt the need to release a Die Hard sequel on Valentine's Day. The franchise is iconic in its own right and surely still falls under the summer blockbuster category. but given the final product it makes sense now. I would hate to think McClane's last ride is this turd, though. Hopefully they can send him off with a decent and final sixth film.

Unfortunately the reviews are what I was expecting, but since I got the free ticket with the new Blu-ray set I'll still see it in theaters versus waiting for it to come to Redbox or something.
Old 02-14-13, 09:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I'm not catching it for another week or two but I was kind of baffled as to why they felt the need to release a Die Hard sequel on Valentine's Day. The franchise is iconic in its own right and surely still falls under the summer blockbuster category. but given the final product it makes sense now. I would hate to think McClane's last ride is this turd, though. Hopefully they can send him off with a decent and final sixth film.

Unfortunately the reviews are what I was expecting, but since I got the free ticket with the new Blu-ray set I'll still see it in theaters versus waiting for it to come to Redbox or something.
and really what's better than a less than stellar film played really loud, intense and assaultive - the Atmos mix while not as good as 'The Hobbit' was a roller coaster ride - the film got louder and louder as it chugged along - I think technically the film is interesting looking and sounding. The minimal use of shaky-cam is a little annoying, but even in it's abbreviated form it has a lot of energy. From what I'm reading I think Fox is to blame here by doing some of it's own studio cutting of the film.
Old 02-14-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Um, Mr. Moore? Slow motion explosions aren't cool anymore? They haven't been since like 1997. And apparently McClane has gone from Everyman to Superman, he can survive amazing stuff in this movie. Really wanted to like it, thought it was lazy and kind of dull. It didn't feel like a Die Hard movie, but what exactly does that mean? The franchise has deviated so far from it's original premise that they're now basically just action movies that star Bruce Willis. Which is fine, I suppose, but even by that standard, this one was really weak, felt like a moderately bigger-budgeted DTV shoot'em up. Full review later.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Someone who gets paid more than any of us ever will?

No way, "Titans will clash" is the greatest movie tagline ever.

Originally Posted by Supermallet

"...lower case j's."
Yes, thank you for reminding me that Netflix took down Farscape from streaming. Motherfuckers. I was all excited.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Reviews be damned! I'm seeing this tonight!
The reviews are sadly accurate.
Old 02-14-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
*cough* It's "...cross his t's and dot his..." *cough*
Old 02-15-13, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Just got back from seeing this. it's without a doubt the worst of the series. While I didn't love it I didn't hate it either. It was just a loud action movie.

First the things I didn't like:
- The plot. This thing is tissue paper thin. We're thrown in the middle of the story and are given just enough information to get the gist of what's happening.
- The running time. There is no character development whatsoever. I guess the filmmakers figured we know McClane well enough we don't need any character development but I guess they forgot about the other half dozen characters in the movie. If that director's cut really is in the works then maybe some of the thin plot and non character development aspects of the film might be fixed.
- Speaking of the character of McClane, he's all but gone from what we knew in the original Die Hard. He's just a generic Bruce Willis character now. His snappy one liners have evolved into yelling nonsense like "that's all you got" and "guess who?!". It's a real shame considering how great it was to hear him yell his sarcastic one liners.
- I'm convinced the beginning went through rewrites because it makes absolutely no sense for McClane to yell "I'm on vacation" throughout the entire movie when it's established in the first 5 minutes that he's going to Russia to get his son back. Is it possible that the original script did in fact have McClane on vacation?

Since I didn't absolutely hate it there were some things I did like about it:
- The call backs to the original: The theme from the first movie being used throughout, John's ringtone playing Ode to Joy when Lucy called, John using shot up broken glass to benefit himself this time.
- There was enough decent action to keep my attention for the most part. A fun car chase through the streets and some decent shootouts throughout.
- While it was absolutely ridiculous, I have to admit that I did chuckle at McClane flipping off the helicopter as he jumped out the window at the end.

It's definitely the worst of the Die Hard bunch, and John McClane has become such an action movie icon that it's difficult to watch the character fall apart so much in the last couple movies. I can't see myself buying this movie on Blu-ray if its just the theatrical cut but if an improved director's cut does actually make it to Blu-ray at some point I'll give this movie a second chance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.