Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

56 Up (D: Michael Apted) (Fifty-six Up)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-14-13, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrote it a different way in case people search for it by word instead of number.

Anyway, Apted follows the same group of people every 7 years and talks to them about their lives. He was a researcher on 7 Up, and has been the director on all subsequent outings. 56 Up is in limited release right now, I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow. I have read that you don't need to have seen the previous ones, since sufficient clips from previous installments are included (as is the case from 14 Up onwards). Each is relatively "stand alone" but seeing them all is definitely worth it.

I saw 7 Up through 49 Up within a 24 hour period, and that was quite the experience, watching everybody group up, go through so many changes.

(56 Up, Fifty-six up, fifty six up for searchers)
Old 02-14-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 56 Up (D: Michael Apted) (Fifty-six Up)

I really enjoyed the latest - imported the uk dvd. I do feel that 49 and 56 both suffer by not having enough time to dwell on each story. Also, the influence and mechanics of the program have clearly had an effect on their lives, both positively and negatively.

I assume they plan to go on with the series, but I think I would prefer to see either individual films for each subject or a longer running time.

I saw 28 and 35 Up when I was in my early 20s and they had a big effect on me in recognizing things in myself and just seeing the ups and downs of life.

I believe this series will be enjoyed and studied forever.
Old 02-14-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^On the cover, who's the 5th from the left? Don't recognize him.

And I don't mean to sound morbid and all, but I'm really surprised nobody's dead yet (Sorry, I'm just so used to cancer claiming so many people who are above 55 nowdays)
Old 02-14-13, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The guy fifth from the left, I can't remember his name, but he returns to 56 up after not being in any of them since I believe 28.
Old 02-14-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

pjflyer, I agree that I'd like a little more time on each subject. Plus I'd like more joint interviews, or a reunion like in 21 Up. I hear that 56 up has an extra joint interview between Nick and Suzy, who have become friends.
Old 02-14-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The guy fifth from the left, I can't remember his name, but he returns to 56 up after not being in any of them since I believe 28.
Thanks. I was thinking that was who it might have been.

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
pjflyer, I agree that I'd like a little more time on each subject. Plus I'd like more joint interviews, or a reunion like in 21 Up. I hear that 56 up has an extra joint interview between Nick and Suzy, who have become friends.
That one is still my most favorite episode(?) of the series. I'd love to see another one like that done before it's too late.
Old 02-17-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To me this felt short. I overheard others saying it was too long. Seemed like there were a lot of first timers in the audience, as they were laughing at things you'd have seen over and over, which was interesting.

Disappointed at the lack of joint interviews between the three girls/women, but then again they still got the proper amount of time devoted to them. Would liked to see more in the way of Tony, this time around it felt kind of short with him. An update on Symon's 5 children from his first marriage would have been nice.

And yeah, we need a reunion.
Old 02-17-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This may be cinematic blasphemy, but I was bored stiff by the majority of this. I had heard about the Up series for years, and so I went to see the newest one hoping that it would offer some great insight into the human condition. Critics have lavished praise sky high for this, so my expectations were also sky high. But, with the exception of Neil, most of these people are utter middle class bores.

"And our next person went to college, fell in love, got married, and had a family. The next person fell in love, got married, went to college, and *then* had children. And next, this person went to college first, fell in love, had kids and *then* got married."

Neil was an interesting subject with his tragedies and triumphs. The rest of them were about as interesting as being forced to sit through someone's home movies.

Last edited by PatD; 02-17-13 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checked this out last night. One of the more better installments, I thought. My only complaint is the arrangement of the interviewees. Since Neil is much more different than the rest, I felt his segment should have been smack dab in the middle to balance things. Rather than being placed so early.

I also admit being a bit pleased to see John included since he doesn't appear on ^that cover.
Old 08-11-13, 01:40 PM

I also watched them all over a couple of days. I thought 56 was one of the better episodes. I could have skipped 35 through 49. I guess if one watched them 7 years apart all the recap would be fine but watching them in a row it was too repetitive.
Old 08-11-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, 7 Plus 7 repeats the entirety of 7 Up before even starting.